Judith's Daily Check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mondurvic

Judith's Daily Check-in

Post by mondurvic » Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:49 am

A perfect first day, and it was even easy!

I won't call my meals Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner, since I eat at erratic times; instead, they'll be 1, 2 and 3.

1. Amy's organic frozen pizza with whole wheat crust, roasted vegetables and no cheese. The whole thing fit on a plate so I ate it.

2. Small Stouffer's TV dinner with turkey, stuffing, gravy and mashed potatoes. I had thought maybe frozen meals would be a good way to go, but this was vile. Only 300 calories, but barely edible.

3. Two pieces of toast, two poached eggs, one small avocado.

Weighed in this morning and starting weight is 237. Will weigh every three weeks and post here.

Judith

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:17 am

go go Judith!

Good for you. Day 1 leads to day 2 and before you know it, everything will have settled into a pattern and your new habits will do most of the work for you.

Glad to see you here, anyhow.

C.
CaroleJo

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:55 am

Sounds like a great first day, the barely-edible tv dinner notwithstanding! Keep up the good work.....you'll be in the 21 Day Club before you know it!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:12 pm

2. Small Stouffer's TV dinner with turkey, stuffing, gravy and mashed potatoes. I had thought maybe frozen meals would be a good way to go, but this was vile. Only 300 calories, but barely edible.
Sorry about the "vile" food! LOL...

Not sure if they have Trader Joe's in BC, but if they do, they've got a bunch of lovely frozen dinners, like Indian food and Burritos etc....
Usually I don't get too much frozen entrees because they are pricey and for the four dollars or so I spend on one of them, I can get a whole family pack of chicken...

If you pre make a pot of rice or some kind of noodle type thing you can always add some chicken or beans and nuke it for a quick solution...
Have a nice weekend Judith!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

mondurvic

Day 2

Post by mondurvic » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:37 am

It's been perfect, according to definition. Struggled (and continue to struggle) with desire for sweets tonight, and truly only the knowledge that tomorrow I can actually have them is what kept me on track. Thank you for that stroke of genius, Reinhard. It's better that it's two days, too, not just one - not so that we can have two wild days, but so that we don't feel that we HAVE to have a wild day in order to get everything in in 24 hours. I would feel under the gun if that was all I had, instead of feeling comfortable and patient.

But I AM looking forward to tomorrow. It's already past midnight, so theoretically it's already tomorrow, but I know self-delusion when I see it.

Today meals:

1. Wiener schnitzel with mashed potatoes, fall-veg medley (carrots, parsnips), and creamed carrots.

2. Indian dinner - naan with small amounts of dal, fish, rice and mixed vegetables

3. Tofu and broccoli in black bean sauce on rice.

The 14 words made a lot of difference to me today.

mondurvic

First S-day

Post by mondurvic » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:05 am

What a disastrous S-day this was! My very first S-day . . . and I had no appetite! Finally ended up eating somethng at 10 pm, mostly because I thought I should, and of course the day isn't over yet, but it was amazing to me that knowing I COULD eat seemed to eradicate cravings, whereas when I'm on a traditional diet and CAN'T eat, nothing can stop me from bingeing. You're definitely onto something here, Reinhard.

Knowing that tomorrow was another S-day helped, too. I think if I only had today I WOULD have eaten, because the pressure would have been on.

Today's food (I'll post if I eat again later):

1/2 chicken breast, mashed potatoes, peas, corn. Very little of each.

I'm loving this and soooooo grateful. I am completely at peace.

Judith

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:47 pm

Yeah, my first ever S day was wierd like that too! The only thing I really craved was a huge bunch of juicy grapes!!!!!!

These days my S days vary a lot, from totally MAD eating, to eating even less than I would normally have done during the week. I find a lot of it depends on what I'm doing over the weekend. Like yesterday, I had so much to do, I didn't have time to eat a great deal. Today I've just come back from a loooong cycle ride (my first ever bike ride longer than 5 miles, I think!) so I've only just had my lunch.

Glad it's going well for you. It's a real help to know that you can eat what you want on weekends and you're right that 'because you can, you won't always want to'.

C.
CaroleJo

mondurvic

Addendum

Post by mondurvic » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:57 pm

Ended up having a second meal at 3 am:

California roll
Small salmon/seafood pinwheel
Small baked potato with a little butter

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:50 pm

What a disastrous S-day this was! My very first S-day . . . and I had no appetite!
Your definition of "disastrous" is probably different than mine! LOL..
I'm loving this and soooooo grateful. I am completely at peace.
That is priceless!!!!
I'm happy for you Judith :)
Love,
8) Deb

Tonsha

Post by Tonsha » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:02 am

I think you'll find that S days can vary considerably. I've had days similar to the one you've described (just not hungry at all), and then I've had days where I've just eaten anything wafted under my nose (Like this weekend! :lol: ).

But it doesn't matter - just keep N days as N days and everything will be OK.

DaveA
"The best diet is the one you don’t know you’re on" - Brian Wansink

mondurvic

Back from a day out of town

Post by mondurvic » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:21 am

Yesterday, Sunday, I again had no appetite, so ate only one meal. Had soup and a main dish, then was still hungry(ish), but instead of ordering a dessert, ordered another bowl of soup. That filled me up and I felt better about it.

So a weekend with not one sweet. Now today, of course, I feel like having some, but I'm telling myself only four days to go, and I don't want to do anything to jeopardize this plan.

Maybe there's an inverse correlation between being allowed to eat something and wanting it. Wouldn't surprise me - when diets are rigid, you just want to rebel.

I remember one time I had not eaten animal products for about seven months, though I had never "decided" to be vegetarian. After that time, I thought to myself, "Well, it looks like I'm not interested in meat any more. So I guess I'll commit to being a vegetarian" - and that night I went out to an all-you-can-eat prime rib buffet.

I always feel "DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!!!!", even when it's only me doing the telling.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:14 am

Ah, the perversity of the human mind... Reinhard always says that this way of eating has as much, if not more to do with the psychology of it all than the actual consumption part! :lol: It's good to know though that we can trick ourselves into behaving well using the same mechanisms that so often undermine us.

Glad you finally found something that brings you some peace and wellbeing.

Be sure not to keep up the good work (on the principle that you'll want to do exactly the opposite of what someone tells you to :twisted: )

C.
CaroleJo

mondurvic

Day 6

Post by mondurvic » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:19 am

1. Chicken cordon with steamed carrots
2. 1 1/2 bagels with butter, cream cheese and a little lox
3. Chicken cordon with spinach, brown rice and a little butter

Don't know if chicken cordons are known in the States, though we call them that here. Originally from "Cordon Bleu", it means a chicken breast rolled around a little filling and baked. Fillings can be anything - ham and cheese; feta/spinach/sun-dried tomato; polenta/bacon/mushroom, etc. There's maybe two pitiful tablespoons of filling inside, max.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:01 am

In the UK we'd call it a Chicken Kiev, probably. I have also heard the term 'cordon bleu' though, but that's usually just for a cheese and ham type filling.

C.
CaroleJo

mondurvic

ONE WEEK DOWN!!!

Post by mondurvic » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:08 am

I've had seven successful days! Yippee!!! I can do this!!!!

Today's meals:

1. bagel, butter, cream cheese, lox

2. whole plate-sized thin-crust vegetable pizza

3. chicken cordon, brown rice with a few olives, rutabagas with butter

I am happy that I'm sticking to the parameters of the diet, but not so happy with my food choices - a lot of refined carbs and fat, very few vegs and fruit. I've still got a bunch of bagels and cheese in the house, but am working my way through them and hope to start with healthier fare on November 1st. We all know the first of the month is magical, right?

Judith

mondurvic

Thursday's food

Post by mondurvic » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:15 am

1. chicken cordon, 1/2 bagel with butter, cream cheese and lox

2. whole bagel with butter, cream cheese and lox

3. Chicken cordon with rutabaga and a few bites of rice, one olive

BTW, bagels in Canada are about half the size of bagels in the States.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:16 am

Hey Judy!
I bet, somewhere in you diet cookbook arsenal, you have one which warns against the evils of bagels!!! LOL..

Look.
As long as it fits on your plate, enjoy your *whole* bagel without the guilt!
Oy vey~

PS...
I would be more than happy to send you some NY size bagels one day in a care package!
But you'd have to promise not to give them to your neighbors... Well not all of them....

Lox is soooo yummy, but it's so salty that I always get super thirsty after that... It's pretty expensive too... Probably better prices on salmon for you up there!

Peace and Lox,
8) Deb

mondurvic

Lox

Post by mondurvic » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:46 am

This being the salmon capital of Canada, lox is indeed reasonably priced. To get it for even less, I usually buy lox trim, which is the little bits and pieces that are left after they slice it. Doesn't look as good, but tastes the same.

I currently have three large packages of sliced lox (not trim) here, as a friend was going to Costco yesterday and asked if she could pick something up for me. Unfortunately, she did not check the Use By dates, so I ended up with one that should have been removed from the shelves a few days ago, and two set to expire November 1st. Opened one, and it is vile slimy mush.

Time to start making healthier choices, I think. On November 1st . . .

Judith

mondurvic

Friday's food

Post by mondurvic » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:50 am

Meal 1 - Cold chicken cordon

Meal 2 - Cornmeal-tofu-olive casserole

Meal 3 - Chicken cordon (Yay! Last one!!); bagel, cream cheese and lox

mondurvic

Saturday's food

Post by mondurvic » Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:25 am

S-day. Dribs and drabs here and there.

Half a bagel with butter, cream cheese and lox.

Chicken baked with prunes and olives.

A little coconut rice with peas.

Wanted nothing. Ate little. Enjoyed nothing. It's like I can't generate any interest in food. Don't mind.

mondurvic

Sunday's food

Post by mondurvic » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:18 am

Another day of here-and-there eating, none of it enjoyable. I definitely prefer the structure of NoS days. In fact, I'm planning on initiating a general structure as of November 1st, to include a scheduled wake-up time and scheduled meals. Insomnia may make this difficult, but I'm making an actual commitment:

FROM NOVEMBER 1ST UNTIL CHRISTMAS DAY, 2005,
I WILL EAT LUNCH BETWEEN 12 - 1:30
AND
DINNER BETWEEN 6 - 7:30
AND
GET OUT OF BED NO LATER THAN 12:34 PM.
LUNCH AND DINNER WILL BE EATEN OUT.

I don't like commitments, and rarely make them, so when I do, I'm serious.

There WILL be a third meal, but that will be something at home at night.

Jood

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:51 am

Hey Joodith!

Good for you. Afterall, even if you haul your arse outta bed, only to sit semi-conscious on the sofa for most of the day, maybe you'll sleep a little easier the next night!

Good luck with the new commitment and may it bring you some inner peace.

C.
CaroleJo

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:52 am

ps: why 12:34? Is it just because it's a cool-looking number (1234) or is there some personal significance to this time?
C.
CaroleJo

mondurvic

12:34

Post by mondurvic » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:24 am

I always set the alarm for some number that adds up to 1, which is God.
This time it's 12:34, because I have to get to a restaurant before 1:30, in order to make my scheduled lunch (12 - 1:30).

As for moving from bed to sofa - actually, it's a La-Z-Boy, and incredibly comfortable. More often than not, I fall asleep in it, which makes falling asleep at night even worse.

BTW, CaroleJo, I'm sure your name is pronounced Carol Jo, but I always think of you as Carolayho, the Spanish way.

Jood

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:33 am

*chuckles* Yes, I'm Carole, my middle name is Jo. My given names are not actually linked up / run together or hyphenated in any way in real life. You're not the first to say that about the mexican way though. Deb's son Richard also always thinks of me as 'Carl-Lay-Ho'!

Arriba!

btw, what happened to using Judith? You seem to have fallen back into Jood, Joodith, etc.

Are you also going to 'urban range' to your eating places for Lunch and dinner, or are they too far away for that?

C.
CaroleJo

mondurvic

Jood, or . . .

Post by mondurvic » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:31 am

I always think of myself as Judy, though the name on my birth certificate is Judith. Though I like the name, I find it aloof and almost pretentious. It doesn't feel like "me" at all.

Then a chance meeting with a stranger (in the supermarket, of course!) got me thinking. She believes that to change your name is to change your life. I'm happy with my life, but couldn't help being intrigued by the concept, so I thought I'd try it out here. Plus, there was another Judy posting in the Daily Check-in Forum (though I think she's disappeared).

Thing is, though, I can't get used to Judith, which results names like Jood and Jooooodith. So maybe I'll just go back to Judy and be done with it. Unless, of course, I want to see what the name Esmeralda would do to my life . . .

Judy

mondurvic

Monday check-in

Post by mondurvic » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:10 am

Copacetic. (Don't think I've ever used that word - if, indeed, it is a word).

1 Baked beans, wild rice salad, potato-cabbage casserole

2 Chinese "Dinner for one" - chicken chow mein, chicken chop suey, breaded almond chicken, on one plate.

3 sushi (California roll), smoked salmon

Got up at a normal time, ate at normal times, think I'll sleep at a normal time tonight.

Walked.

Judy

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:36 am

Sounding good so far!

Nice one.
C.
CaroleJo

mondurvic

Tuesday's food

Post by mondurvic » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:36 am

Meal 1 - Rice and beans, tempeh salad

Meal 2 - cornmeal-olive-tofu casserole

Meal 3 - can of chunky soup

mondurvic

Wednesday's food

Post by mondurvic » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:57 am

Meal 1 Cornmeal/tofu/olive loaf with curried vegetables

Meal 2 One plate at a Chinese buffet

Meal 3 Chicken and vegetable stir-fry with almonds

Today marks the end of two SUCCESSful weeks. I have never in my (long) life been so peaceful about food. There are rules, yet there's freedom. This is the best.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:00 pm

I'm really glad to hear it Judy. It's so nice when you can have a little peace about such a major part of our lives.

You're going great guns! You'll be in the 21 day club in no time at this rate :lol:
CaroleJo

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:20 pm

Yo!!! Joods!
I agree with CJ :)
NoS is so non-confusing and so enjoyable...
It doesn't tax our systems and make us nuts...
That is worth soooo much...

It is my heartfelt wish that Reinhard, does incredibly well with his future book endeavor...
He deserves to benefit from this, as it's helped soooo many people on a deep level, like you describe...

No other diet on the planet could ever tout that it promotes
Peacefulness!
Actually, it has been a real "Rock" for me, over this year...
When everything else in my life seems wacko, I could always depend on some semblance of sanity in my life in at least my eating ways, and enjoyment of meals!!! Yahooooo!

Yayyyyyy!!!!!!
Good for you Judith...
Love,
8) Deb

mondurvic

Thursday food

Post by mondurvic » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:56 am

Meal 1 - corn/olive/tofu casserole with curried vegetables

Meal 2 - roast vegetable wrap, quinoa salad

Meal 3 - seafood salad, steamed greens with sesame oil

Inge

Post by Inge » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:53 am

I'm intrigued by the multiple appearances of corn/olive/tofu casserole! Do you make this yourself? I love olives, but usually see them only in marinara-type Italian recipes, so would love a description (or recipe).

You're going great!

mondurvic

Friday's food

Post by mondurvic » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:13 am

Meal 1 - Thai tofu wrap

Meal 2 - 2 vegetable tempura patties
smoked salmon

Meal 3 - cashews and dried apricots (or should this count as a sweet?)

mondurvic

Saturday's food

Post by mondurvic » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:04 am

Munch, munch, gnaw, gnaw. Finally, on my third weekend, I had some sweets. And precious little else.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:31 pm

*chuckles*

C.
CaroleJo

mondurvic

Monday's eating

Post by mondurvic » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:52 am

Today's food:

1. tofu lasagna

2. tofu lasagna, salad

3. bowl of soup

Only two more days to go till I'm in the 21-day club!

Judy

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:30 pm

Go Judy go!!!
You are a NoS natural!
Love,
8) Deb

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:44 pm

Hey, I want to come over to your house. That food sounds great. You have inspired me to try more veggie recipes.

Keep up the good work.

Dru

mondurvic

Alllllllllmost made it

Post by mondurvic » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:38 am

After 20 SUCCESSful days, with only one day to go till I made the 21-day club, I lapsed today. It wasn't a terrible lapse, I didn't go round the bend, but I did have more than one plate at a buffet. I wasn't even hungry, nor was I enjoying the food - it was more thoughtlessness, sloppiness and downright brattiness on my part. I was going to cut corners, not put any effort in, and do things my way. With the usual outcome, of course.

I posted a snivelling entry on the general board, asking for absolution, pointing out how close I was to making the 21-day club. If I was sufficiently pitiful, maybe I'd get away with this little slip! Even considered not coming clean about it at all. But have come to understand, really understand, that this is not about rules, or others' approval, or making the elite 21-day club. It's about completely changing how I've always been about food, and about dieting for that matter.

I am thrilled with my decision to start the 21 days over. I feel I've learned something important, and grown.

Judy

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:41 am

But have come to understand, really understand, that this is not about rules, or others' approval, or making the elite 21-day club. It's about completely changing how I've always been about food, and about dieting for that matter.
Spot on.

Nothing else to add really.
Good for you.
I feel I've learned something important, and grown.
That's really the best thing anyone can ever do. I think it's our primary function, our 'raison d'etre' for being alive.

I'm really pleased for you.
C.
CaroleJo

mondurvic

Tuesday's food

Post by mondurvic » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:01 am

Meal 1 - tofu lasagna, potato salad

Meal 2 - Chinese buffet - Not "all I could eat" (by a long shot!), but more than one plate. Lapse. FAILure. Funny stuff. Call it what you will.

Meal 3 - eggs and avocado

Back to square 1. My next 21-day shot starts Wednesday, though I'll still post my weight on Thursday and every 21 days after that.

OK, so I haven't got this thing licked yet, but I sure as heck do have the SSSSSSSolution.

Judy

mondurvic

Wednesday food - Day 1(b)

Post by mondurvic » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:31 am

Meal 1 - vegetarian cabbage roll, quinoa salad

Meal 2 - quinoa salad, curried eggplant, curried lentils

Meal 3 - quinoa salad, turkey loaf in tomato sauce

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:15 pm

I love Quinoa. I eat it quite often for breakfast, just boiled up in some natural vegetable stock.

Welcome back for round 2, BTW.

:D
C.
CaroleJo

mondurvic

Thursday, Day 2b

Post by mondurvic » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:20 am

Meal 1 - tabouli and pine nuts

Meal 2 - tabouli and vegetarian cabbage roll (stuffed with rice)

Meal 3 - toast and butter

Almost nothing but carbs, but what the heck.

Weighed myself today after 21 days, and have lost 5 pounds, from 237 to 232. Most pleased. And S days are around the corner. I suppose Remembrance Day/Veterans' Day doesn't count as an S, unless, perhaps, you Served?

Judy

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:55 pm

Yay Judith!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wonderful work and news!!!!!
Have a great weekend and
Celebrate that 21 days and five pounds lost!!!!!
I am proud of you!!!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

mondurvic

Update

Post by mondurvic » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:55 am

Haven't posted for a week, but am most definitely still on track. In my second attempt at 21 days,. I currently have eight (including today) under my belt.

Will weigh and post weight every third Wednesday.

Judy

mondurvic

Back to daily check-ins, including foods eaten

Post by mondurvic » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:50 am

Meal 1 Tuna salad sandwich

Meal 2 2 Vegetable tempura patties

Meal 3 Hummus-burger patty, tomato and lettuce on half a hamburger bun

Bad, bad BAAAAAD mood today. Not relevant to this board, of course, but I felt like sharing!

mondurvic

P.S.

Post by mondurvic » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:57 am

Funny stuff tonight - had an extra handful of nuts.

Tomorrow my trek to 21-day-hood starts again.

mondurvic

P.P.S.

Post by mondurvic » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:19 am

And a can of chili-flavoured tuna. First time I tasted it, and it was good.

mondurvic

Day 1 (b)

Post by mondurvic » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:42 pm

Meal 1 - Virtual plate at Chinese buffet

Meal 2 - turkey-basil loaf with sweet basil marinara sauce; spinach-poppyseed pasta salad

Meal 3 - 2 slices of bread with olive hummus

mondurvic

Thursday food

Post by mondurvic » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:52 pm

Meal 1 turkey loaf, curried eggplant, rice

Meal 2 turkey loaf, curried garbanzos and potatoes

Meal 3 rice

mondurvic

Meals for Thursday, December 1st

Post by mondurvic » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:53 pm

1 2 pcs. toast with taramosalata on top

2 tofu/corn/olive pie
few bites salmon tempura patty
few Golden Nuggets (meat analog)

3 Did not have third meal.

mondurvic

Recommitted Day 1

Post by mondurvic » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:19 am

Meal 1 3 pcs. toast with dill-tofu spread and lox

Meal 2 Mixed platter of cold leftovers (never used to have any!)

Meal 3 Moroccan rice with pistachios; marinated eggplant