Noel's 2011 Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

NoelFigart

Noel's 2011 Check-In

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:28 pm

Okay, just trying to make sure I stay on track.

Diet really hasn't been an issue. It seems easy to pick up with the three meals a day thing. I'm hungry for lunch right now, but as lunch is in a half an hour, I feel like that's appropriate. I'm all good with being hungry for a meal.

I think some of my biggest problems are not exercising enough, and letting Life Events throw me far, FAR too easily. Picking up after vacations seems to be a big one. Getting sick of spending a lot of time focusing on the fact society tends to assign virtue to thinness is another. I get pissed off and sick of doing anything that even SMELLS like I've learned my lesson and I'm going to be a VERY GOOD GIRL and conform.

Thing is, YES confining one's eating to three one-plate meals a day and having treats on special days is utterly sensible -- fat or thin. It's just... eating appropriately. YES exercising is important if you want to have the physical stamina to do the things you want in life. While for the most part, I have a sedentary damn job, that doesn't mean I want to be too weak and tired to go out dancing or enjoy Disney World. (I wasn't, as it happens. But the idea that I put myself "in training" to make sure I would have the stamina probably isn't great, either).

So, for me, my biggest problem is separating out the anger that I'm supposed to be sexually desirable to earn the right to have a place on this Earth pisses me off (as far as health? I'm fine. All my numbers are normal. The Fat=Ill Health thing is not the one-to-one relationship people think it is).

Part of me doesn't WANT to be lean. I used to be very good-looking. It's not all it's cracked up to be. Men ignore boundaries, think if you're good-looking you can't be smart as well, think your body is more important than your brain, call you names and try to shame you when you do set boundaries... I don't GET why most women WANT to be good-looking, really. The so-called power it gives you is fragile and at another's whim, anyway. Pretty women, if not pliant toys, often get treated horribly.

I know, talk about baggage. But when I'm fat, I don't have to FIGHT all the time. I get ignored, mostly. Which is really okay.

Maybe when I get thinner, if I do, I should just dye my hair gray. The shallow idiots who think women should be toys ignore gray hair like they ignore fat, don't they? The the ones who AREN'T shallow and I can get on with interacting like human beings just like we do now.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:08 pm

No-S
Glass Ceiling

Exercise

I'm rather proud of myself on the No-S front. I had lunch at 12:00 and dinner at 7:45. Dear oh LORD was I hungry. But I did stick to one plate.

I'm having a hell of a time getting into the exercise thing.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

flutterby7

Post by flutterby7 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:28 pm

I have a hard time excersising too! I am a single mom with three young kids and my excuse is always that I don't have time. I would gladly take any suggestions?

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:50 am

Welcome back, Noel. I rejoined too a few weeks ago. It's nice to see some old faces here.
Fun
x

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:53 pm

No-S
Glass Ceiling

Exercise

I am highly tempted to buy a sledgehammer (my old one has disappeared somehow) and paint it purple just to motivate myself.

I'm going to be on travel next week, too. While I have a great repertoire of body weight exercises I could do, they're only good if I DO them.

I can't ever recall having such a case of the IDONTWANNAs when it comes to exercise. This is getting absurd.
------

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:31 pm

NoelFigart wrote: I can't ever recall having such a case of the IDONTWANNAs when it comes to exercise. This is getting absurd.
I decided some years ago that the physics law that "a body at rest tends to stay at rest, and a body in motion tends to stay in motion" was REALLY talking about me and exercise...

Once you get started, it will feel good again. It's just hard getting over that hump.

But you can do it!

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:41 pm

I just could NOT get all that excited about working out, but I figured I had to do SOMETHING to get started when it occurred to me that I have a Netflix account with instant watch that will play to my television.

There are plenty of workout videos on the watch instantly feature. Are they awesome? No. In fact, I generally find workout videos pretty lame. I studied ballet for 10 years, jazz for five and martial arts for six. I find the videos just excruciatingly embarrassing.

Then I asked myself, "Is it lamer that NOT working out at all?"

Uh.... *hanging head*. No. There's no video made lamer than not doing a workout if one is uninjured and well.

So.. I did one. There. Finally a green for exercise.
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:09 pm

No-S
Exercise
Glass Ceiling

There. Better.

Amazing the damn agonizing I was doing about the exercise. I was saying something to my son about it and bless his wretched little heart, he just rolled his eyes and said, "Mum, either you do something or you don't. It's dumb to get spun up about it."

I asked him if homework counted. His response brought me up rather short. "Mum, if I acted about homework the way you've been acting about working out, you'd hit me upside the head. Have aliens zapped your brain or something?"

("Have aliens zapped your brain?" is a family code for "You're behaving wildly out of character." It's a reference to a Bloom County comic strip).

Anyway, it was nice to have a day that's all green.

My local gym is a community organization, and has been hurting money-wise (as all gyms have in this economy). I work the front desk a couple of mornings a week for my own membership. Yeah, it get paid, but the money isn't significant for this. Anyway, they need help on their website, so I told 'em since I knew money was such a problem, I'd work up to a set number of hours a month in exchange for memberships for my husband and son. They jumped on that. My husband and I, at least, will probably have some set days we'll go to work out in the evenings.

I'm glad it's an S-day. I plan not to be an idiot. Mebbe I'll make some brownies and enjoy one after dinner. While off the hook and failure isn't possible, I tend to do better when I plan for something good rather than just do whatever.
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:49 pm

Saturday and Sunday were S-days. In the spirit of No-S, they were yellow and 'nuff said. (I didn't go crazy, so no need to mark it).

Today, however:

No-S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

I'm on travel this week and my days are taken up with meetings. Because I'm cheap, I bought some Cup-o-noodles, some tortillas for wraps, some ham for lunchmeat and a few veggies and some fruit to put in bentos. Stop looking at me like that! Yeah, I'm eating ramen. Shaddup. It's No-S approved, and I eat deliciously-prepared meals 99% of the time. One week of this won't kill me. (The frightening thing is that it's probably better than inexpensive restaurant food, especially in terms of portions). I make a bento from the wraps and veggies for lunch, and have cup o noodles at night. The hotel actually has a decent breakfast buffet included, so I'm eating my big meal in the morning.

Exercise? Just about every hotel these days has at least a treadmill. I actually used the exercise bike, but anyway.... I put in half an hour on it. Good enough.
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:39 pm

No-S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

I'm still on travel. I'm on a jury trying a Federal case. I can't say anything about it, of course, until it's over.

So, the days are intense, as listening carefully and evaluating evidence requires you to pay incredibly close attention.

No-S hasn't been as hard as I expected. Breakfast is easy. One plate, of the breakfast buffet and I am all good. Lunch is only SLIGHTLY harder as they have snacks and stuff for us in the jury room. I brought food to make bento, and a bento box. But I do sometimes order in for dinner. I was in a dilemma tonight, as there was no plate brought when I ordered some chicken nuggets and such. I didn't want to eat all of it if it wouldn't fit on a plate, so I decided that I'd just use my 580ml bento box as a measure. I could eat whatever fit in there. Oddly enough, the whole order did. Fair enough. That's green in my book.

Glass Ceiling is easy, too. I did not bring booze. I have no car available and the hotel doesn't have a bar. So, no evening wine for Noel. Which is a pity. I could USE a drink.

Exercise? Any hotel for the business traveler has at least a little dorky exercise room. I put in another half an hour on the bike. I could do lots of other things, of course, but this is habit-building, so anything that gets me sweaty for half an hour is all good.

I can't wait until this is over so I can go back home.
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:34 pm

No-S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

I want a damn medal.

Breakfast: Eggs, bacon, bagel and cream cheese. It was tasty and I enjoyed it. I'm also glad I did go a bit overboard on breakfast, because...

Lunch: Cup-o-noodles

Dinner: Ham-n-cheese wrap and a cup-o-noodles. I was going to order a salad from Dominos, but nooooo....

The snowstorm that cancelled court for the day also meant that no-one was delivering food. Thank goodness I had food here, but god DAMN I wanna go home and cook something GOOD.

I was going to go to the little exercise room and do another half hour on the bike, but in going to the hot tub to try to get over being SO BLOODY BORED, I decided to try to swim some laps.

Nope, not in an overchlorinated pool with no goggles...

So I tried aquajogging instead. I ran about chest deep in the pool for half an hour. I'd always rather thought aquajogging was goofy, but hell, it gets the heart rate up and that's all I really care about.

I want a drink, a real meal, GOOD coffee and... well, shan't batter your poor innocent eyes with that, but dear Hoosband had better be taking his vitamins... (Thank goodness THAT is No-S approved).
------

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:24 am

NoelFigart wrote: I want a damn medal.
For now, will a blue ribbon do? Image
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:49 am

You're dealing with the absolute WORST of traveling, and doing a great job.

Hotel food choices, generally unsatisfying food, and meetings during which junk food is spread out all day... ::Shudder:: Deadly combination. Adding exhaustion AND boredom to the mix is just not fair.

And snow on top of it, with all the complications that adds.

I think you totally deserve your medal / blue ribbon.

Hope it ends soon, and you can get home.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:10 am

No-S
Exercise
Glass Ceiling

The case is likely to go on another goddamned week. So I go home for the weekend (thank goodness it's a three-day weekend) and then start up again next week.

Dammit.
------

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:00 pm

Sorry you have to go through all that, but it makes for great reading! I really enjoy your writing style, both here and on your blog. :D Hope you have a superb weekend!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:12 am

Glass Ceiling
No-S

Exercise

Home. Sushi for dinner.

I am all happy, even if I didn't work out.
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:31 pm

I'm glad it's an S day, but I'm not sure what S type things I want to have. There's a Dunkin' Donuts that has opened around the corner, and I might Urban Ranger on over there to get one.
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:07 am

S-Day

It's been a bread day. I know it isn't an S, but on S-days I give myself permission to have what I want whether it's an S or not. I did have a "SNACK" that was an S mind.

B: Two slices of toast with butter.
L: Grilled Cheese Sandwich
S: Cinnamon Toast and a few peppermint candies
D: Fifteen bean soup with an appletini

I had been wondering whether or not my S day had been out of control. No, not really, when I come to write it down.
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:47 pm

An S-Day

Breakfast: Ham and cheese omelet with bacon and toast.
Lunch: Half a grilled cheese sandwich and a handful of cherries
Dinner: (planned) Pork loin in red wine, noodles and broccoli with Ben-n-Jerry's Milk and Cookies for dessert.

Lunch was small because I was still a little full from such a large breakfast. I ate lunch at all in the interests of habit. and the fact I kinda wanted to eat around 1:30. I could have had a snack if I wanted. While it wouldn't be a failure if I permasnacked all day, I try to be conscious of reinforcing the idea that eating is for meals. If I felt like a snack, I would have had one with zero guilt.

Reinhard talks in his book about putting ice cream in a crystal bowl or some such (I forget exactly) and I was thinking how nice it would be to serve the ice cream in something nice, so I came up with the idea of using a cocktail glass. Beautiful, and keeps the portion size reasonable.

I find that I do better when I savor atmosphere. Drink the tea from the china cup, wear the silk scarf, light the dollar store candles in the pretty cut-glass holder, have the beautifully-served meal in elegant portions on the plate. Enjoy the ice cream in a cocktail glass on the weekend. Dieting? Mais, non! I am dining.

I dare you to feel deprived in such an environment.
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:46 am

No-S
Glass Ceiling

Exercise

Breakfast: Oatmeal
Lunch: Fried Rice
Dinner: Spaghetti

Not a very imaginative meal day. But I was busy. Oh, I had a martini after dinner.

No, I didn't exercise. Could have, didn't.
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:05 am

Glass Ceiling
No-S

Exercise

Lunch: Peanut Soup
Dinner: Pork Loin, apples and broccoli over rice (don't laugh at it. IT was good).

It's a devil of a note that I was better at working out on travel than at home!
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:13 am

No-S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

Breakfast: Oatmeal.
Lunch: 15 bean soup and a ham and cheese wrap
Dinner: Two soft boiled eggs, toast soldiers and an orange.

Normally I have a much more substantial dinner, but I was in a bad mood and wanted comfort food. That's what I craved, so I had it.
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:24 am

No-S
Glass Ceiling

Exercise

Breakfast: Optimized oatmeal
Lunch: Grilled cheese sandwich, cherry tomatoes, an orange and some green pepper slices.
Dinner: Chicken in wine sauce with broccoli and yellow peppers and pasta.

I'm going to have a nightcap before I go to bed, and it might very well be a martini.
------

Over43

Post by Over43 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:45 am

Optimized Oatmeal? Is that like Bill Pearl's Oatmeal with protein?
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:26 am

No, Over43, it's something Reinhard came up with. Oatmeal with nuts, seeds and dried fruit.

It's quite filling.
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:05 am

No S
Exercise
Glass Ceiling

Breakfast: Mini bagel, egg-n-cheese sandwich, orange.
Lunch: Bento with mini hamburger wit cheese, cherry tomatoes, baby carrots, broccoli and an orange (Hey, I have a crate of delicious clementines, my consolation for it being winter).
Dinner: Sushi, delicious sushi how I love thee.

Back in the winter of 2007, I made a deal with myself. If I couldn't stick to glass ceiling for a WHOLE MONTH OF GREEN, I was gonna check myself into rehab. Well, the idea of rehab (*shudder* group encounter sessions) was enough to put me on moderation's sweet yellow brick road, and I've never looked back.

So, I'm going to do something similar with exercise. If I can't do a whole month of green N days for exercise, I'm going to have to *shudder* join an exercise class. (Trust me, this is major motivation).
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:18 am

For whatever reason, I am finding the food part of my Everyday Systems astonishingly easy. As on-again-off-again as I've been over the years with this, I am not sure why it should be so...

No, that's not quite true. I'll tell you one thing that is quite different. I am making no particular effort to be "good" with food, other than to be quite strictly vanilla. If it ain't a snack, sweet or second on an N day, I'm golden. If I want potato chips with lunch I've internal permission to have them.

In reality? I haven't wanted potato chips. But if I do, why I'll go out and buy 'em and enjoy the hell out of having some.

I have wanted a slice of toast along with an egg sandwich and an orange with breakfast. By golly, it fit on a plate, so I had it. Normally, I would never have permitted myself to eat two "breads" on one plate. But screw it, a vast majority of my meals are healthy and well-balanced.

If I wanna load up the plate with pasta, why, I will. Typically, I don't want to, and that's fine, too. But I realize I was still kind of mentally applying some extra rules instead of doing TRUE vanilla.

Thing is, this doesn't mean I eat bread or pasta all the time. Far from it. There are days when what I really want to do is fill up my plate with fruit and veggies. Some days, I'm all about meat. Some mornings it's a ham and cheese omelet and some days only oatmeal will do.

In doing a reality check with some calorie counting? My WEEK is pretty darned nutritionally balanced and my average caloric intake this strictly vanilla is around 1500, and that includes a nightcap most nights. That's more than fine.

Really, being utterly "letter of the law" works well for me. Believe it or not, it's keeping my S-days from being insane as well, as I'm really indulging myself (limited only by plates and three meals) just about every day. Ferinstance, tomorrow is an S-day. Oh, I intend to make Preacher cookies this weekend and I'll enjoy the heck out of a couple with my meals. Might even have a couple with lunch AND with dinner. But (and this is really a breakthrough for me), I'm not looking forward to snacking really. Oh, I will if I feel like it. But containing eating to mostly meals just... feels good and is sufficiently indulgent because I can have whatever I want IN those meals. (Seconds has never really been my thing ever. YMMV).
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:19 am

For whatever reason, I am finding the food part of my Everyday Systems astonishingly easy. As on-again-off-again as I've been over the years with this, I am not sure why it should be so...

No, that's not quite true. I'll tell you one thing that is quite different. I am making no particular effort to be "good" with food, other than to be quite strictly vanilla. If it ain't a snack, sweet or second on an N day, I'm golden. If I want potato chips with lunch I've internal permission to have them.

In reality? I haven't wanted potato chips. But if I do, why I'll go out and buy 'em and enjoy the hell out of having some.

I have wanted a slice of toast along with an egg sandwich and an orange with breakfast. By golly, it fit on a plate, so I had it. Normally, I would never have permitted myself to eat two "breads" on one plate. But screw it, a vast majority of my meals are healthy and well-balanced.

If I wanna load up the plate with pasta, why, I will. Typically, I don't want to, and that's fine, too. But I realize I was still kind of mentally applying some extra rules instead of doing TRUE vanilla.

Thing is, this doesn't mean I eat bread or pasta all the time. Far from it. There are days when what I really want to do is fill up my plate with fruit and veggies. Some days, I'm all about meat. Some mornings it's a ham and cheese omelet and some days only oatmeal will do.

In doing a reality check with some calorie counting? My WEEK is pretty darned nutritionally balanced and my average caloric intake this strictly vanilla is around 1500, and that includes a nightcap most nights. That's more than fine.

Really, being utterly "letter of the law" works well for me. Believe it or not, it's keeping my S-days from being insane as well, as I'm really indulging myself (limited only by plates and three meals) just about every day. Ferinstance, tomorrow is an S-day. Oh, I intend to make Preacher cookies this weekend and I'll enjoy the heck out of a couple with my meals. Might even have a couple with lunch AND with dinner. But (and this is really a breakthrough for me), I'm not looking forward to snacking really. Oh, I will if I feel like it. But containing eating to mostly meals just... feels good and is sufficiently indulgent because I can have whatever I want IN those meals. (Seconds has never really been my thing ever. YMMV).
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:19 pm

I weighed this morning. Since Jan 8, I've lost 3.5 lbs. I'm a bit surprised, as that's a bit fast for what's usual for me, but hey, I'll take it.
------

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Congrats on all your great work AND great weight loss, Noel! I love reading all your successes!

Julie

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:10 pm

S-Day
Glass Ceiling

While I was doing a fair amount of nibbling most of the day, I don't think I really went too far overboard.
------

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:34 pm

NoelFigart wrote: If I can't do a whole month of green N days for exercise, I'm going to have to *shudder* join an exercise class. (Trust me, this is major motivation).
Lol, for real! Noel, I hope your plan works for you, lest you enter aerobic hell and suffer unbearably.

(I am a bit of an exercise-class junkie, because I get lazy left to my own devices. But it has to be the right class, with the right teacher...no 20-somethings obsessing over a bit of fat that you'd need a microscope to see.)

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:55 am

No-S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

I'm on travel again for at least a few days this week. This time, I was smart. I checked into a hotel that had rooms with kitchens. I brought good food -- fresh pork loin to cut into individual servings, a box of pasta, and a whole bag of fresh peppers, grape tomatoes, the last of the Clementines, and broccoli. I also created a spice mix to shake over my food that wouldn't be loaded with MSG (oregano, basil, thyme, and garlic salt). I also mixed up some optimized oatmeal to have for breakfast, so I'm not eating muffins for breakfast. (Not into breakfast muffins. Don't ask me why).

It is funny to me how much of a difference that makes, being able to cook myself a good meal. I mean, I don't have an oven, so it's stove-top stuff, but to be able to saute some meat and veggies to put over some pasta just... I dunno, it's like night and day to my mood. I can make GOOD bento, too! (I'm quite good at cooking for one. You wouldn't think living with a chef would teach that skill, but it did). I also had the sense to buy a six-pack of hard cider so I could have a drink or two. Glass ceiling is easy with individual bottles, just sayin', but I'm not generally much of a beer drinker and alcopops are definitely an S in my book! I like my nightcap and a Granny Smith Woodchuck is wonderful. (If you've never tried hard cider, like tart apples and drink, I highly recommend it).

I did a half an hour on the treadmill in the hotel fitness center. I have a confession... I kinda LIKE treadmills. I'd never used one in my life before the week before last. It's gadgety and I like that. Also, you can zone out and listen to an audiobook while you're on it. I'll have to use the one in my gym more often.
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:01 am

Tuesday:

No-S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

Wednesday:

No-S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

I'm not on travel any more, and got to come home a bit unexpectedly. Since my husband wasn't able to pick me up until a couple of hours after I got back to the hotel (we only have one car), I went ahead and did a half hour on the treadmill Tuesday, knowing damn well I wouldn't do anything once I got home.

Today was fine. I didn't snack, eat sweets or have seconds, I got in a good walk (walked to the copy center to pick up some stuff rather than take my car), and am fine on Glass Ceiling.

My son is competing in the FIRST robotics competition and is hard at work with his team all evening making a robot. I'm finding my bento hobby is coming in really handy because I can give him a packed dinner each night and he doesn't fill up on pizza.

I'm considering being more "vanilla" system-wise about my exercise. First, just doing the "fourteen minutes of anything" every N day and calling it good, but then making a specific effort to walk more for genuinely useful things, (using public transportation more, walking to the little grocery store more often...). Oh, yeah! Urban Ranger.

It'll be green if I do my 14 minutes, but I'll make a non-tracked effort to do more purposeful walking.
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:11 am

Thursday:
No-S
Glass Ceiling

Exercise

Friday:
No-S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

Yes, I failed to exercise Thursday. I genuinely, no kidding... FORGOT that I'd intended to until 9:30 at night. I'd been teaching all afternoon and prepping for the class all morning. Since I was to get up at four the next morning, open the gym, teach a class all morning, and then have a meeting about a website, I made the choice to make sure I get at least SOME sleep in preparation for the long day.

I know you can't REALLY make up for a failure, but I put in a good, long swim after my meeting today. God, that got me over the Idontwannas pretty confounded well! Swimming, oh sweet liquid sensual bliss of exercise, so kind to my joints, so challenging to my muscles. Ahhh fie on Urban Rangers who plod the Earth and never know the Joy of the Sea.... (Yes, I DID succeed on Glass Ceiling. I've only had a glass of wine. Stop looking at me like that).

Anyway, I feel more enthusiastic about working out, which was rather the point.
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:28 pm

It's an S day, so I can't fail.

That's cool. I also want to prevent being an idiot, so instead of putzing around and waiting to eat something for breakfast, I got something the minute I got up. It'll mean that I'll be more patient for REAL treats.

I'm in the mood for a treat, but I don't want to make a whole cake or something. Mebbe I should pick up that small batch baking book. Or make cupcakes and freeze them. Pound cakes freeze well, and are a good base for different glazes, so if I'm craving chocolate or something next week I can unfreeze a pound cake cupcake and add a chocolate glaze.

Actually, I may do some sort of formal meal tonight with my family. My son has been working on a robotics team and the competition is in a few weeks. He's out of the house EVERY NIGHT and all afternoon on Saturdays. I think maybe we should have a nice family meal together tonight, with the good china and everything -- more elaborate than I usually cook, served on the "good" china, and a very tasty dessert.

Edit: After consulting with my family tonight's menu will be:

Pork loin in wine, fettuccine Alfredo with fresh-made pasta, harricot almondine, and pound cake cupcakes for dessert.

Who would permasnack when anticipating THAT dinner?
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:41 am

Oh my word. The pound cake cupcakes were perfect.

1 c. sugar
1 c. butter (room temperature)
4 eggs (room temperature)
1 3/4 c. flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 325. Cream butter and sugar. Add vanilla. Add eggs one at a time, beating on high between each egg for about a minute. Combine dry ingredients, and add mixture (mixing on low or by hand) about 1/4 cup at a time. Batter will be VERY thick. Line cupcake tin or grease lightly and coat each cup with flour. (I'm lazy. I line them). Divide batter evenly between the 12 muffin cups.

Bake for ~35 minutes until a toothpick poked in the middle of the cupcake comes out clean. Remove and cool.

Glaze:

3T butter
2 1/4 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3T milk or cream (Water, citrus juices or rum work for this for different glaze flavorings).

Melt butter and add in vanilla and warmed cream. Stir in powdered sugar until smooth. Drizzle over cupcakes.

I actually made about 1/3 of the glaze recipe just for me, my son and my husband each to have one. It was the perfect sized dessert, amazingly sweet and delicious.

These freeze well, so I am saving them for next week and maybe experimenting with the rum glaze.

I am a total cupcake convert, as the idea of appropriately-sized cake portions are just what Noel-san needs for S days.
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:02 pm

Not entirely sure what I want to do with this S-day. I was smart again and have had breakfast right away. That really seems to contain any real desire for excess.

I had such a delightful dinner yesterday, and such a wonderful treat, my appetite is feeling fairly satisfied at the moment.
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:50 pm

Lunch: A handful of almonds and a cheese quesadilla.
Mid-afternoon snack: pound cake cupcake with RUM glaze. Nom nom nom
Dinner: Mini bagel sandwich with roast beef, cheese and mustard.

Tonight is definitely an appletini night. (Because an appletini is so sweet, it's an S for me).

PLANNING to eat breakfast and lunch seems to be the key to my S-days not going overboard. Not that I spend a lot of time worrying about that, but optimizing my day to reinforce the good habits isn't a bad thing.
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:05 am

No-S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

Breakfast: Egg and cheese sandwich on mini bagel
Lunch: Chicken fried rice, orange
Dinner: Spaghetti (The sauce needed eating up)

Exercise: Swam 900 yards. (1/2 mile)

Dinner was very late because my husband and I wanted to go to the gym together tonight and we didn't want to eat dinner before we worked out. I can swim on a full stomach just fine, but Peter hates working out on a full stomach, and I wanted to eat with him, so decided to wait.

Dinner was a little after 8, and I'd had lunch at 12. I was stomach-ache hungry, which I dislike, but anyway. I can just eat lunch later most gym nights.

The weird part was how much I wanted to snack today. I chose not to, but I really wanted to all morning. I had a bento I'd made that I turned into fried rice because I was craving something really salty so. After that, I was all good until dinner.

I feel pretty mellow after my swim, which is good. I'll sleep well tonight, which is also good because I have a big day in front of me tomorrow. Teaching PowerPoint.
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:36 am

NO-S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

It was a day. I worked, took the bus to teach, and I'm going to work out before I go to bed. I went for a hard swim yesterday, and it's been a rough day, so in the principle of "Fourteen minutes of anything" being enough to make me golden, I'm going to put on some sexy music and doing some stretching like I used to for my Modern dance classes. (Marvin Gaye is good for that sort of thing).

Is it really a GREAT WORKOUT and all?

Not really. This is rather like the slightly overloaded plates you get early on in No-S. I'm doing this more for habit purposes. But that's cool.
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:11 pm

No-S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

Breakfast: Baguette with melted cheese.
Lunch: Turkey and bacon sandwich, orange, potato chips
Dinner: Fried rice

Okay, WHY I LOVE NO-S

My husband's employer has been giving out these huge lunch spreads, but no-one has been eating all of the sandwiches. People were encouraged to bring them home, but no-one was doing so. (CARBS! MEAT! TOO MANY VEGGIES!! LEFTOVERS ARE EVIL! OMGWTFBBQ!!!!)

He brought home several sandwiches and some baguettes. Now these things were from Panera, so the food was pretty good. You know how it's legal if it's not a sweet and fits on a plate? Yeah, that.

If it were crappy food or sweets or something, I'd feel differently, but some free lunches for me and my family for awhile is welcome. Heating bills are getting to me.

Dinner was repurposed leftovers. I'd made too much rice for dinner last night and had some leftover chicken and broccoli. Fried Rice.

Exercise was snow shoveling. We've had a lot of snow.
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:25 am

No-S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

Lunch: Two sandwiches (they fit on the plate, so it's not like I was having a huge lunch), Orange
Dinner: Chicken in wine with broccoli stems (I need to train my husband only to buy the florets if that's what he wants. Otherwise, we're gonna be eating stems, cause damn'f I'm going to throw them away!) pasta.

Exercise: Swim 900 yards. I'm gonna sleep well tonight!

I may have a glass of wine before I go to bed.
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:16 am

No-S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

Breakfast: Baguette with cheese
Lunch: Leftover Panera sandwich, orange
Dinner: Leftover Panera sandwich, orange, baguette with butter

Ideal? No. Free? Yes.

My teeny martini glasses came in from Crate and Barrel today. I celebrated by having a teeny appletini.

This is a miniature cocktail glass. I bought them because just because glass ceiling allows for two martinis, the cocktail glasses I had were 8 ounces. That's way the devil too big for a drink that's ALL alcohol, sorry.

So, glass ceiling is still TWO glasses. (Vanilla, strict rules)

I found out cocktail glasses from the 1930s were generally about four ounces. So even those portions have become bigger. Amazing.

I also would like to ask a favor of anyone who is reading this who would be willing.

I got some bad news today. It looks like my... well technically my stepdaughter, but dammit, the girl is my DAUGHTER, I don't give a damn WHO gave birth to her, is going to be moving quite a distance away from me. (She lives with her mother, but I see her on a regular basis). I am livid about it, but doing all the "good" things to cope, including not venting in a public forum.

I've noticed a pattern in myself. I'll be "good" for some months or years, depending on how bad the trauma was, then flip OUT about something unrelated and let all my good habits go to hell. Sort of a delayed reaction. If anyone notices me doing that and is willing, could you poke me and remind me that while the crisis may have past, the good habits are still important?

Thanks!
------

gettheweightoff

Post by gettheweightoff » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:01 am

Congrats on staying strong and not turning to food. I know it will be hard but you can stay in touch with scype, email, telephone etc.

Hang in there!

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:28 am

What love. I'm touched from 600 miles away. She's lucky to have you... I hope that things are working out and that she's just launching her life's adventure.

Peace!
NoelFigart wrote:
I got some bad news today. It looks like my... well technically my stepdaughter, but dammit, the girl is my DAUGHTER, I don't give a damn WHO gave birth to her, is going to be moving quite a distance away from me.

Thanks!
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:44 am

NoelFigart wrote:
I've noticed a pattern in myself. I'll be "good" for some months or years, depending on how bad the trauma was, then flip OUT about something unrelated and let all my good habits go to hell. Sort of a delayed reaction. If anyone notices me doing that and is willing, could you poke me and remind me that while the crisis may have past, the good habits are still important?

Thanks!
Very sorry about the bad news.

If I see the pattern (which is familiar, btw) will remind you.

Hang in there.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:32 pm

Thanks, guys. I know, at 42, I oughta be more mature. I'm working on it!

As it is an S-day, I made some treats for the family. Because I'm so very generous, here's a link to what I did:

How to make dessert shooters.

Breakfast: Toasted bread and butter. I've been in bread mode lately.
Lunch: Big sandwich
Dinner: Bread with toasted cheese and half a plate of roasted brussels sprouts. (Boiled brussels sprouts are nasty, but cut 'em in quarters, toss them with some olive oil, dust them with some garlic salt and roast them on 400 for about half an hour and they carmelize into tasty nuggets of crunchy goodness).

Treat: Dessert shooter.

I'll probably have an appletini or a schnapps in my mini martini glass.
------

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:15 am

KCCC wrote:
If I see the pattern (which is familiar, btw) will remind you.
To clarify... this is not "familiar because I've watched you do this" but "familiar because I've fallen into the exact same pattern my own self."

Realized on re-reading that it wasn't exactly clear. ;)

As for "ought to be more mature"... Nah. We all need someone to call us on our less-than-positive moments...one of the components of real friendship, in my book.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:37 am

This was an S-day. Oh my word was it an S-day. I did a fair amount of nibb....

Naw... actually

Breakfast: Eggs over easy on toast
snack: bagel
Lunch: Half a sandwich and some roasted brussels sprouts
Snack: buttered toast and a mini martini
Dinner: 15 bean soup, a mini bagel and then a dessert shooter in a mini martini glass.

After dinner drink: appletini in a mini martini glass. (Yes, the teeny glasses are my new toy. stop laughing at me).

All in all, that's more than is usual for an S day, but I can think of N-days that were a LOT more excessive when not doing No-S. If someone else reported this saying they'd gone overboard on an S-day I'd be beating them with the Reality Stick. So, yeah.

Can't fail on an S-day and this one was certainly within acceptable range.
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:29 am

Monday:

No-S
Glass Ceiling

Exercise

Tuesday:

No-S
Exercise
Glass Ceiling

Went to a Mexican restaurant today and tried fish tacos just because I'd never had them. They were tasty and served in an appropriate portion, so that was quite good.

I didn't touch the chips and salsa. In fact, didn't even THINK about the fact they were on the table until dinner came. (To be fair, it's not a major temptation for me. I like them well enough, but if I want them I can have them any time with lunch or dinner).
------

exdieter

Post by exdieter » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:42 am

I loove fish tacos! Some great recipes for them in Rick Bayless' Everyday Mexican. :)
Slow and steady wins the race.
5"4', mid-thirties female
1/2/11: 157.2
4/4/11: 153.6

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:31 pm

NoelFigart wrote:This was an S-day. Oh my word was it an S-day. I did a fair amount of nibb....

Naw... actually

Can't fail on an S-day and this one was certainly within acceptable range.
It's interesting when you step back and look at things objectively.. one benefit of writing stuff down. I wrote down my S-days this weekend (which I don't usually do) and found the Saturday-that-felt-over-the-top was not nearly as bad as I had thought. A lot, but not SO much.

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:12 pm

Man, if I could have the same feelings about chips and salsa as you, it would fix A LOT of my problems! ha. Mexican food is my favorite. Soda and chips and salsa at a Mexican restaurant are my absolute favorite. Then I still eat a meal on top of it! Are you just not a chip fan in general? Are you also gonna tell me you don't like chocolate? HA. Just kidding!!!

You're an inspiration to me.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:55 pm

I decided not too long ago that the only way to get a grip on myself about food was to make an intellectual decision not to consider myself helpless in the face of a substance or give it more power than it deserves. It might be tasty and wonderful, but I'm an American, for pity's sake. I don't live in Panem, and this isn't the Hunger Games, so I don't need to be anxious about whether or not I can eat.

I am NOT slender (I weigh 248 lbs, give or take whatever I've lost since I last weighed), and I am a full-blown, dyed-in-the-wool foodie. There's plenty of food I love. I eat chocolate almost every S-day and enjoy it immensely.

I classify chips and salsa with potato chips and pretzels. Good enough when you have a fancy for them, sure. But, I'd rather leave a place on my plate for bread. (I ADORE good bread).

I think because cooking is my hobby, I don't exactly get orgasmic about something I can buy in the snack aisle, ya know? (And what they serve in a chain Mexican restaurant is about of that quality).

I also think that my own health and peace of mind is improved by becoming a bit of a food snob. I can and do eat a substandard meal when that's available, but when I have the choice, why not make a small portion of something delicious that's worthy of eating, if that makes sense.

Where BlitheMorning has Miss Hartshorne, I have Madame Bonnevie. "Mon Dieu! We are not barbarians. We dine. We dine on small portions of delicious food and linger over our meal, and play footsie with the oh so attractive gentleman across the table. We savor our food and know that seulement un goût is enough to satisfy when we don't stuff ourselves like beasts."

Chips, salsa and soda don't fit into that mental mode.
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:39 am

No-S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

Breakfast: Bread and cheese
Lunch: Sandwich, grapes
Dinner: Soup and bread

Today has been more about strict compliance than being intelligent about dietary choices. But screw it. Vanilla No-S, baybeh!

In fact exercise was the same way. I didn't want to work out today. Neither did my husband. We were too embarrassed to flake in front of the other, so we went to the gym. I did the lamest workout ever and walked on the treadmill for half an hour. But that counts.
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:28 pm

Thursday:

No-S
Glass Ceiling

Exercise

Friday:

No-S
Glass Ceiling

Exercise

Succeeding at everything but exercise. I really do need some dumb little thing I can do and call it good. Yes, 14 minutes of Anything would work. I'm just not doing it.

I'm not entirely sure I should be taking Thursday as a failure as I did about a mile of walking around getting to buses and stuff for teaching. But anyway, I'm taking it as a failure as I didn't specifically do something.

I am slowly but surely making my plates a bit smaller. I used to have a whole cup of oatmeal for breakfast, but that's starting to make me feel a little too full. I did an experiment of trying a half cup to see how I felt, figuring that if it was too little being a bit too hungry before lunch for ONE day was something I could tough out in the interests of science. So I'd feel hungry for a couple of hours. Big deal. I was HUNGRY for lunch, but not distressingly so, and a normal lunch satisfied.

I'm playing with this a bit at meals -- cutting down a LITTLE bit on what I put on plates, with the understanding that if it's THAT bad, I can load up a plate at the next meal, which is never too far away. I am always confident I can tough it out until the next meal now, so the "cost" is low, if that makes any sense. And there's always the potential for S-day chocolate to look forward to.

I lost another half pound this morning (I weigh on Saturday morning). SLLLOOOWWWW. But that's okay.
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:48 am

S-Days. Weekend

Saturday:

Breakfast: Garlic toast
Lunch: Sandwich, grapes, cherry tomatoes, 3-4 Lindt dark chocolate truffles
Dinner: SUSHI

Sunday:

Breakfast: None. Blergh.
Lunch: Pizza. One plate, but it was a full plate
Snack: 2-3 dark chocolate truffles
Dinner: Chicken soup, bread. Teeny sundae in my mini martini glass.

Midgrade moderate S-days. I took the train a few hours away to visit some friends over the weekend. I love traveling by train. Simply adore it. Packed myself a nice bento, and bought some Lindt truffles to enjoy on the train.

My friends are not breakfast people which I hate, but I can tolerate missing it sometimes.
------

Over43

Post by Over43 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:12 am

That is a moderate weekend!
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:50 am

No-S
Glass Ceiling

Exercise

Breakfast: Greek Style Yogurt
Lunch: 2 soft boiled eggs, toast soldiers
Dinner: Pasta Puttanesca, Martini

Not the world's healthiest meals, but tasty.
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:35 pm

No-S
Glass Ceiling

Exercise
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:00 am

No-S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

Swam today. The hot water was out in the showers. Holy MOLEY was that COLD!
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:04 pm

Thursday:

No-S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

Friday:

No-S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

I weigh on Saturday mornings. I'm down 7 lbs since the beginning of the year.

For the stats people: I did a random sample reality check on my caloric intake. Generally it's around 1600 calories a day. I'm 42, a chronic yo-yo dieter and am 5'2". I still have a great deal of weight to lose.

I still hold by the idea that you really need to do several months of absolutely Vanilla No-S to clear out the habits before even considering tweaking. Am I tweaking? A bit. I don't think I could do so very comfortably unless I had the three meal a day habit down so solid that being given a piece of chocolate at my job gets it put in my purse without even considering eating it right away.

On the other times I've done No-S, I gave myself blanket permission to do anything I wanted on weekends. Gradually, the habits did clean up. But I do not mentally see weekends as absolutely free any more. I consciously choose treats, and do allow myself some snacks, but for the most part try very hard to stick to the three meals and leave it at that other than maybe a dessert a couple of nights.

I'm also consciously trying to reduce portions. I used to fill up quite a bit at breakfast, and I'm reducing that. I'm also reducing what I eat a bit at lunch. I used to buy into the "eat most of your calories early in the day" thing. I'm beginning to think that belongs with the "eat five to six small meals a day" tweak when you're trying to go from 18% body fat to lower. That's not my issue, so I bet overall calories is a considerably more serious concern right now. If I want to eat less during the day and a big dinner, it's not hurting me. If I need to cut down on dinner, I will, but not yet.
------

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:22 pm

Image I've been watching you for a long time,
and judging from your above post,
it seems to me like you are really headed in the right direction
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:17 pm

Saturday:

S-Day!

Breakfast: Mini bagel egg sandwich with a slice of cheese
Lunch: Half a cup of Greek style yogurt with a peanut butter sandwich
Snack: Glazed pound cake cupcake
Dinner: 3 slices of whole wheat buttered toast. (Stop looking at me like that. It was what I wanted for dinner, it was multigrain bread and it tasted wonderful). Appletini.

Honestly, I was thinking I'd have a "real" dinner or maybe some protein to make up for eating such an unbalanced meal, then... just didn't. Habit took over. I'd eaten around six in the evening, wasn't hungry and by the time I thought about it again, it was getting on to time for bed and I decided to let habit have its way.
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:10 pm

Sunday:

S-day

I had three meals, but I forgot what I had. I had a brownie with dinner and it was tasty.

Monday:

No-S
Glass Ceiling

Exercise

Breakfast: Veggie scrambled eggs, cheese
Lunch: Cup-o-noodles
Dinner: Beans and rice.

I think in part I'm finding it a bit hard to keep this up. I'm... well, I'm eating MEALS for pity's sake. I'm not finding it hard to eat meals, and even my S-days are pretty moderate.

Exercise is still the big things, but I'm really busy and not sweating it at the moment, other than going to the gym when my husband says he wants to go.
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:23 pm

Tuesday:

No-S
Exercise
Glass Ceiling

Breakfast: Greek yogurt. I've been all about yogurt lately. Dunno why.
Lunch: Cheese sandwich, tomatoes
Dinner: 2 slices of toast, two eggs over easy

Not as much on the veggies as I usually eat, but I'm not really caring right now. In terms of food volume, certainly not too much. I've been wanting a lot of dairy and eggs lately. Thanks goodness they're No-S approved.
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:40 pm

Wednesday

No-S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

Breakfast: Yogurt again.
Lunch: Peanut butter sandwich, cherry tomatoes, broccoli flowerets dipped in Caesar dressing.
Dinner: Pasta puttanesca
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:26 pm

Thursday:

No-S
Glass Ceiling
Exericse

Breakfast: Yogurt
Lunch: Fried eggs on toast
Dinner: chicken stirfry with broccoli and carrots.

Friday:

No-S
Glass Ceiling

Exercise

Breakfast: plain oatmeal
Lunch: tuna salad wrap and grapes
Dinner: Pizza

Pizza is one of those foods that I have a hard time with in terms of diet. Even being No-S compliant, I will try to get as much as I can on my plate. I decided not to this time, had one slice and called it good. That may not be enough food, but hell. Tomorrow's an S day, and I'm having an appletini tonight, so it's probably as much food as I SHOULD be having anyway.
------

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:30 am

You're doing fantastically Noel.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:02 pm

Saturday and Sunday:

S-days

You know how when you don't really go overboard but it feels overboard somehow?

Yeah, that.

I did something I hadn't done in some months and had a peanut butter sandwich right before bedtime on Saturday night. S-day, it was legal. But it felt WRONG. Habit taking over, I suppose, and I'm okay with that.

I do notice that it's the three meal structure that's really important to me in terms of eating. Once I pop the cork with nibbling, I'll keep doing it.

I'm okay with that on Christmas or the Fourth of July or something, but not so much on a regular S-day. I started nibbling Saturday night and did graze a bit too much.

Yesterday was much better, even though I did snack a little -- mini bagel late in the afternoon. I had a somewhat large dinner (roast chicken, mashed potatoes and sauted red peppers, onions and mushrooms), and a really thin slice of cheesecake for dessert.

I'm beginning to wonder, for myself, in the interests of habit, if snacking should be more "Special" than weekends. I'm holding off until I can see what my weight is doing, because I recognize that minor snacking is starting to feel quite excessive, when the reality is that I used to snack a LOT more than that when I am not doing No-S. I'm wondering if my S-days are feeling wilder than they really are due to my N-day austerity.
------

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:53 pm

NoelFigart wrote:
You know how when you don't really go overboard but it feels overboard somehow?
I know that feeling! When I eat mindlessly, or for "the wrong reasons."

I'm beginning to wonder, for myself, in the interests of habit, if snacking should be more "Special" than weekends.
For me too. Keeping to the 3-meal structure on weekends is KEY. And snacking is generally A Bad Sign. (But I haven't outlawed it... yet.)

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:31 am

Monday:

No-S
Glass Ceiling

Exercise

Breakfast: Bowl of oatmeal
Lunch: Bento with a chicken drumstick, rice, broccoli, grape tomatoes and strawberries.
Dinner: Chicken Carcass soup (Chicken, carrots, onions, celery, a little red pepper, garlic, black pepper, sage and parsley) and two homemade biscuits

I feel really full right now, which is weird. Dinner was fairly light. Then again, we all know how filling soup can be.

For those who worry, "How do I eat SOUP" and be No-S compliant???? Stop worrying. Have a hearty bowl of soup with a some bread and call it good. You'll be plenty full.
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:33 am

Tuesday

No-S
Glass Ceiling

Exercise

Breakfast: Optimized Oatmeal
Lunch: Soup, mini bagels
Dinner: Burritos, appletini

I have really felt like snacking today, but I didn't. I am at the point where I get irritated when I do not refrain from snacking unconsciously from habit, but have to consciously choose not to. I know in reality I have several months to go (at least) before I don't even CONSIDER eating outside of meals, no matter what I might choose.
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:10 pm

Wednesday:

No S
Glass Ceiling

Exercise

Lunch: Chicken drumstick, steamed artichoke, macaroni
Dinner: Beans and Rice prepared with red pepper, onions, garlic and carrots.

I'm the only one in the house that likes certain veggies, so in a way things like properly prepared artichokes and brussels sprouts (they're only good roasted and carmelized) are kind of treat-feeling to me. I sometimes include them in my lunch when I'm home.
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:05 am

Thursday

No-S
Glass Ceiling

Exercise

Breakfast: 2 egg omelet with red peppers, mushrooms, cheese and onions, mini bagel
Lunch: 2 chicken drumsticks and an artichoke.
Dinner: Sushi. Had a professional success and wanted to celebrate. God, I love No-S...
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:06 pm

Oops. Haven't checked in since Thurs. I would have sworn I had written something this weekend, but ah well.

The weekend was a bit excessive. Habit hasn't taken over as much as I liked. If I PLAN three meals and a treat or two, I'm all good. If I don't think about it and start nibbling, I eat more. I'm reminding myself that you can't fail on an S-day and I have proof that what feels excessive isn't nearly as excessive as my excess once was.

But it was definitely one of those "Glad to be back to N days" sort of things as a kind of clear and reset on habits. Which I suppose says something positive as well. A day or two of too much nibbling followed by looking FORWARD to stopping that nonsense is definitely an improvement over weeks and weeks of not paying attention to what I'm eating and eating too much.

Yesterday....

As a DAY, it sucked. Ice storm, flooded basement due to an unplugged sump pump, which led to the furnace tripping a breaker, which led to having to dig out three feet of snow and ice to get to the outflow for the sump pump, and then learning that some classes I am looking forward to teaching are being postponed, and then having a hard time getting the fire in the wood stove lighted, to finding out that when I got an oil delivery that the oil price jump meant that this load of oil was going to run me nearly $200 more....

No, I didn't snack. I did indulge in food, though. Lunch was an entire plate of roasted Brussels sprouts. (Toss 'em in olive oil, sprinkle garlic salt, roast 'em till they're crispy on the outside. I really enjoy them this way). No-one else in my family likes them, but I ate a WHOLE PLATE of them for lunch. I know, way to go out on that food limb, huh?

I broke Glass Ceiling for the first time in years. I enjoy what they refer to as sippin' liquor and had three mini (2oz) glasses rather than two last night. I did it because I lost track and said yes to an offer of another when my husband went to get one. But, that was my fault for not thinking, not his for offering.

Hope today is better. The basement is drained, but the driveway is a sheet of ice. I need to haul out the salt.
------

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:58 pm

Well after all that flooding and ice and inflation etc. I think 3 drinks were in order! And when you indulge in food by eating a whole plateful of brussels sprouts you KNOW you are on the right path. :D
(Actually one of the things I love about S days is that I can have seconds and sometimes thirds of vegetables. Ever since I was a little kid I have loved vegetables! All my friends thought I was weird.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:51 pm

Wow, that sounds like success after success to me.

When you can cope with multiple life crisises without self-medicating with chocolate/junk/whatever... well, that's a milestone.

Hope the crisises stop traveling in packs.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:31 am

I think I had a positive for every negative I had yesterday.

A former client begging me to teach.

A present client wanting to know if I wanted to teach more.

Got a bunch of handouts for a Beginner Excel 2010 class written.

My secretary got a lot of work done. (I hired my fifteen year old son. He can file, right? He can count stuff and record it on a spreadsheet. So, he's Figart Consulting's new office manager. God knows I need one. The papers are piling up).

Ate reasonably today.

So, that's better.
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:56 am

Wednesday

No-S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

Breakfast: Poached Eggs and toast
Lunch: Grilled cheese sandwich with bacon, yogurt and blueberries. (As opposed to blueberry yogurt. REAL yogurt with blueberries in.)
Dinner: Chicken leg, butternut squash, broccoli

I didn't go to the gym. Nope. Urban rangered over to the local community college to teach a class.

I think I need to do more purposeful walking. Mebbe get a pedometer and do the 10,000 steps thing for a bit.
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:10 pm

Thursday:

No-S
Glass Ceiling

Exercise

Lunch: Chicken thigh, broccoli, butternut squash
Dinner: Chicken puttanesca, pasta

I have been really hungry all day today until after dinner. Not sure why. I've eaten fairly normally.
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:49 pm

Friday:

No-S
Glass Ceiling

Exercise

Lunch: Bacon and Eggs
Dinner: Chicken, mashed potatoes, broccoli

Saturday:

Breakfast: Peanut butter sandwich
Brunch: bacon, eggs-n-cheese, toast
Snack: McDonald's shamrock shake
Dinner: burrito, mini sundae for dessert.

We went to the roller skating rink Saturday afternoon and spent all afternoon skating. I need to do that more often. No not for exercise darn it (scowl!) but because it's FUN. I used to skate a lot as a teenager and I'm pretty good at it even now (which was surprising that I retained any of the skill).

I notice something that's become a habit that is not something I consciously do. When I have a treat, I order the small. My daughter was staying with us this weekend and she really wanted to get a shamrock shake. So we did. I got a small one. Confession: That is the first McDonald's shake I've ever gotten. Milkshakes always seem a little pointless to me, but I went along for the fun of it. I like mint. It was tasty, though I'd be unlikely to go out of my way to do that again.
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:15 am

Checking in is starting to get dull mostly cause all I have to report is: Ate three meals, didn't drink too much, didn't exercise...

Well, okay, the exerise thing is really something. I'm just not into it. This is unusual for me, and I need to pick something...

I like lifting, so I think it's just gonna be fourteen minutes a day on the dumbells until I feel more inspired. I have dumbbells right outside my bedroom, as well as a space to do it. The idea of not having fourteen minutes to do a minimal dumbell workout is incredibly lame, and I know it. I also know that after a few weeks of that, being more physical will feel more attractive to me.

So, starting in the morning:

Calf raises 40 3 8
Stiff-legged deadlifts 40 3 8
Squats 40 3 8
Arnold Presses 20 3 8
Bench Press 30 3 8
Bicep Curls 10 3 8
Situps body 3 8

Yes, wimpy weights. I'm weak as a cat right now.
------

Reduk74

Post by Reduk74 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:49 am

Thanks for the new way to cook Brussels sprouts! I can't wait to try them....I was laughing at your post as it is totally something I would do...okay....have done with veggies. I love brussel sprouts. Steamed with real butter..not the fake stuff.....but I love them stir-fried! Also quartered and thrown in with fried rice. Yummmmmy.

And SUSHI! Girl you know good food.....can't get any of my friends to eat sushi with me.....oh well at least my husband will!

Here's to a successful and tasty NoS life.

Cheers,
Heather

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:47 pm

Yes, Reduk74, I am a foodie. Part of my weight problem is being an American foodie not brought up in French moderate traditions.

However, being a foodie on No-S works out well, since it only contains excess rather than making foods evil.
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:30 pm

Oh, yeah, a check in....

No failures since the last time on No-S and Glass Ceiling. Haven't been exercising until this morning when I got up and took a swim before I started my day.

I didn't really take any S events on Sunday. Couldn't think of anything I really wanted. Saturday I had one of those bite-sized candy bars (Snickers). I enjoyed it.

I need to get real. If I don't exercise first thing in the morning, I just won't do it. That's the reality of how I roll, and I need to go with that. So, nighttime routine is going to involve packing my gym bag.

With that in mind, I'm wearing my bathing suit under my clothes tomorrow to take a swim after my shift opening the gym tomorrow. It was nice to start the day with a swim this morning, and it does mean that I'm not heating water to shower at home so it's a fuel savings as well as a workout. I might throw in weights later, but to be honest I'm weak as a cat right now, and a few weeks of swimming a half mile in the morning is probably going to be the best thing for me.
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:01 pm

NoS
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

Lookie, lookie, lookie.... Two all green days in a row.

Lunch: Bacon and eggs (hey, it fit on a plate)
Dinner: Chicken, broccoli and green pepper stir fry. (My son's request, claiming it was his favorite meal. Compared to pizza? I think the boy is tellin' a fib.)

I swam a half mile again this morning. This is part of accepting reality. The reality is that I will only work out first thing in the morning.

I also think that 10,000 steps is a load of hooey. I'm sedentary as hell naturally and I've logged 7500 steps today.
------

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:58 pm

LOL! at your 10,000 steps comment! I too, think that is a load of whatsit. After all, if my pedometer was to be believed, most days i actually do an average of 11,5 - 12 k steps ... hasn't made a bit of difference to my weight, i.e. i still gain!! Ah well, I'll try not to look too much at statistics and just keep soldiering on anyway. I still feel better after a little walk.
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:14 am

10K isn't much. When I'm walking a lot, I walk 21K in a day.
NoSRocks wrote:LOL! at your 10,000 steps comment! I too, think that is a load of whatsit. After all, if my pedometer was to be believed, most days i actually do an average of 11,5 - 12 k steps ... hasn't made a bit of difference to my weight, i.e. i still gain!! Ah well, I'll try not to look too much at statistics and just keep soldiering on anyway. I still feel better after a little walk.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:45 am

Sigh. It takes serious effort for me to make 10,000 steps. Even on days when I walk for exercise.

Very sedentary job, driving commute... takes a toll.

At least the pedometer makes me more aware of that fact.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:53 am

KCCC - I'm in the same boat as you. Unless I have a dedicated amount of walking for exercise I never get anywhere near 10K. I wish I thought that an easy number....

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:43 am

KCCC, I was thinking about this, as I consider myself very sedentary naturally, as well as having a sedentary job (on the days I don't teach. I pace a lot when I teach, and it adds up).

The only way I can figure it is that I'm simply more active than I give myself credit for and am comparing my activity to athletes.

I do work from home, so I'm often breaking to do household maintenance -- baking a loaf of bread here, putting on some laundry there. I guess it adds up more than I thought. I also live close to town, and take a bus places (we have a free bus system) when the situation calls for it. If the weather is good, I avoid using my car. (This does mean four months out of the year where I do use it more. I live in Northern New England).

I also pace when I'm thinking, planning out a piece I'm writing or rehearsing for a class or meeting. This adds up, too.

However, you'd think that this would make me thinner. It doesn't. Which is why I wonder at the whole 10,000 steps thing.

It's also why I chafe at the idea that fat people are sitting on the sofa watching television, chomping through bowls of candy, and moving only to go to the bathroom or bed. I don't do that, and I'm quite heavy.

(I begin to suspect a subclinical thyroid issue as I've dry skin and other symptoms. I've yet to convince doctor that yes, I really CAN reach that gold standard of so-called fitness by swimming a mile in 40 minutes, even when I've been slacking on exercise, so maybe we need to chat about endocrine issues)
------

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:53 pm

NoelFigart wrote:The only way I can figure it is that I'm simply more active than I give myself credit for and am comparing my activity to athletes.
I think you're right. All those "little things" you mention do add up.
However, you'd think that this would make me thinner. It doesn't. Which is why I wonder at the whole 10,000 steps thing.
It may not make you thinnner, but I bet that it makes you healthier. There's a growing body of evidence that sitting a lot is just bad for you.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:06 pm

Wednesday:

No-S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

Breakfast: Oatmeal. I'm boring.
Lunch: 2 egg, cheese and salsa wraps. I think this might have been a bit much.
Dinner: 15 bean soup over rice. NOM.

Swam half a mile.

Thursday:

No-S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

Lunch: Fried rice with broccoli and red peppers. Man, that was really tasty. I need to leave rice in the fridge more often!
Dinner: Clam chowder

Exercise: Swam half a mile. Next week, I think I may go for 1000 yards.
MAYBE.

Swimming, ahh glorious swimming. Make sure my butt is in the pool long enough to swim half a mile and I'm a perfect little lamb.
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:25 pm

No-S
Exercise
Glass Ceiling

Swam a half an hour this morning.

Breakfast: Bacon and Eggs. I was starving after my swim. Not too unusual.
Lunch: Small bowl of leftover clam chowder.
Dinner: Sushi, delicious sushi. Ahhh the N-Day legal perfection of a treat.
------

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:09 am

S-day

Lunch: Onigiri, 1/2 apple spread with peanut butter.
Snack: Bite sized candy bar (snickers)
Dinner: Grilled cheese sandwich with bacon, Attitude Adjustment (deceptively sweet drink with rum, peach schnapps, vodka and orange juice)

Mostly spent the day coloring my hair (I'm 42 and in that appalling in-between stage where you're not gorgeous gray and you're not your youthful color. I wish it wouldn't destroy my hair to dye it white), got rid of body hair and gave myself a French manicure. I'm not usually nearly so self-indulgent or pampering, but my son is out of town on a robotics competition and my husband is working on artwork for Boston ComicCon. I'm also knitting some knee socks that I may make over the knee stockings and add a threaded ribbon at the top as sort of a built-in garter.
------

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:03 am

That "attitude adjustment" sounds like it would work! (What a great name for a drink!)

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:12 am

S-day

I marked Saturday red for Glass Ceiling. I had an Attitude Adjustment, a Woodchuck (hard cider. Delicious) and a refill on the Attitude Adjustment, as there was a bit left in the shaker.

Sunday:

Breakfast: Cheese on toast
Lunch: Grilled CHeese sandwich
Snack: two slices of toast (Seeing a pattern?)
Dinner: Chicken thigh, rice, broccoli, a shot glass of ice cream for dessert.

Here's the funny part. Yesterday felt excessive. No, obviously it wasn't, but it's a good example of that "gentle pressure" from N-Day habits.
------

MysteryLover

Post by MysteryLover » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:50 pm

I hear ya on the hair color. Had to bite the bullet and start dyeing recently too. Just wanted to say that I love the idea of a shot glass of ice cream. Usually just a small taste of something sweet is all that is needed after a meal.
--Gina (a.k.a MysteryLover)
03/01/2017: 195.2
Current: 174.6
Goal: 145.0