Julie's Daily Check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Julie

Julie's Daily Check-in

Post by Julie » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:16 pm

Hello Everyone,

Sure glad I found this site and this diet. I read about it yesterday and decided to start today. So far so good but I will keep you posted on how I am doing. Just knowing I have to report my success or failure on this board has kept me going today.

One question, is tea considered a snack?

Thanks,

Julie

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:52 pm

Hi Julie! Welcome and good luck!~
Tea is totally fine..
It is an "approved beverage" not a snack :)
Unless you use it to wash down some cookies!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:32 am

Hi Julie :D
I'm Richard, Debbie's Son. You could call me Debson. LOL.....
Just wanted to wish you luck on the diet. First of all, don't get mad at yourself in the beginning if you mess up. It all works out after a while :)

I'll read your thread sometime in the future.

Peace,
Richard

P.S. After you get used to Nos, try the 21 day plan. It's lots of fun!

navin

Post by navin » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:50 am

Hey Julie -

MY two cents: in general tea would be fine, if it's something like green tea or unsweetened tea. Sweet tea is a little more borderline, I guess it depends on how much sugar you put in it.

Now Long Island Iced Tea, that probably *would* be considered a snack. :)
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:56 am

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the welcome. I usually drink my tea plain or with a little soy milk. I wanted to put a fence around the diet so I wanted to make sure that tea would be OK. I think I will need to be drinking some in the beginning to get me through the tough spots.

What is the 21 day plan?

Another question, is it OK to have a soup or salad with your meal? I really like to have soup in the winter and an occasional salad.

Thanks again everyone.

Julie

Lane

Post by Lane » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:33 am

Welcome!

I'm a bit of a newbie myself -- I'm on day 25. I'm just curious, how'd you find NoS?

Lane

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:21 pm

Day 1: SUCCESS

It is good to get one day under my belt.

I happened upon NoS when I joined a yahoo group based on the book called Eat to Live and there was a link to the NoS site.

Here is to a good Day 2.

Julie

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:02 pm

Welcome, Julie.

I don't really have anything to add on the subject of tea. I drink my coffee and tea black, so it's not an issue at all for me, but honestly if you don't pour in tablespoons full it's hard to see how it would be significant compared with (say) a coke. It's one of those borderline issues that probably isn't worth investing much worry in.

Thanks for telling us how you got here. Always curious about that.

Reinhard

Julie

Day 2

Post by Julie » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:53 am

Day 2 Success

It was tough but I made it through my second day. I am alsoalmost through my third day but since I still have a couple hours to go before bed I am not counting it as a success yet.

I did have to eat a little carrots and hummus while preparing dinner because I was so hungery but I was going to eat that with dinner anyway. Not sure if that counts as a mess-up.

Julie

Day 3

Post by Julie » Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:40 am

Day 3 SUCCESS

I made it through my third day but it is still very hard for me to only eat 3 reasonably sized meals. I hope it gets easier. I am almost through my 4th day then I get 2 S days for the weekend.

Julie

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:02 am

Hey Julie :)
People seem to handle adapting to the three meals a day in different ways here... Some decide that they simply need to have a smaller fourth "meal" during those ravenous hours between 3-5... maybe a fruit and yogurt or some salad... Some just allow more on the three plates...
If you are eating "diet style" you may be hungry because of that..
Another thing which truly does make a huge difference with hunger issues is water intake... Most people just don't drink enough...
Track that during the day.. If you are having less than six or eight glasses a day, you may need to have more to help you stay hydrated and full...

Keep up the great work!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Julie

Day 4

Post by Julie » Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:44 pm

Day 4 SUCCESS

I am calling Day 4 a success even though I had to eat while preparing supper again.

Thanks for the advice, Deb. I am propably not drinking enough water. I may also decide to add a 4th small meal to keep from being so hungry. Since today and tomorrow are S days I will wait to see how things go on Monday.

Julie

Julie

Days 5 - 7

Post by Julie » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:58 pm

Day 5 S-Day

Day 6 S Day

Day 7 - SUCCESS

The S days were easy but wondering if I went a little overboard. I felt that I still ate less than I would have pre- No S.

Day 8 is going well. I think the second week is a little easier than the first. I weighed myself this morning and I was up 1 lb, though. It could be water retentation due to eating a lot of salt on Sunday in my large miso soup. I still think this will work in the long run so I am sticking with it.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:36 pm

The S days were easy but wondering if I went a little overboard. I felt that I still ate less than I would have pre- No S.
And therein lies the key. Don't worry about your S days. They'll regulate themselves soon enough and you need the safety valve! If you think you went overboard, but you still ate less than you were eating every single day before NoS, well, it doesn't sound to me like that was overboard at all!

Stop beating yourself up about it and give yourself a well earned pat on the back instead!! :lol:

C.
CaroleJo

Julie

Day 8

Post by Julie » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:33 pm

Day 8 SUCESS

Yesterday was tough. I ate dinner earlier and ate a little less than I would have liked. I was very hungry around 9:00 but had some tea to get me through. I almost ate something but I didn't want to start my 21 days over.

I think having the S days helps me stay on track the other 5 days of the week. I just tell myself I can have whatever it is I want on an S day.

Julie