for your consideration, Grocery store samples

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

He>mE

for your consideration, Grocery store samples

Post by He>mE » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:25 am

I have a question, as a general rule. A Trader Joes has opened recently in town, and they always have something on sample. Today one of the employees asked me if I wanted to try a chocolate covered peanut butter pretzel. and when I checked out, there were sweet onion chips.

as for my question, would trying a sample of a new product be considered as a 'snack'? Would you consider the day a failure if you tasted a sample in sam's club or the grocery store?

So far, I have abstained, but I also realize my willpower is such that even having a sample, would not 'ruin' my diet...
July 31 2010 - 212lbs
Today: 190

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:29 am

I would personally count it as a failure to take a sample, yes.

I tend to resent those things, anyway, as they're trying to create a "need" for products I wouldn't otherwise be into. Sampling new food is one thing, and I'm always up for trying a meal I've never tried before, but in a grocery store? BAH!

(And I try to summon up that contempt as often as is necessary to get me AWAY from the sample cart and out of the store, 'cause yes, I'm often tempted).
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

gettheweightoff

Post by gettheweightoff » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:32 am

Yep, I'd consider it a snack too.

A drink might be different though.

Sienna

Post by Sienna » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:40 am

The rule I made for myself on this is that if I'm genuinely considering purchasing the product being tasted AND I really truly think I need a taste to determine if I want to purchase the product, I will allow a sample. Otherwise it's a snack.

I created this rule so that I would have something in place to deal with samples. I've never actually needed to use it. Turns out I don't actually need random samples to tell me what to buy - they were always just an excuse to snack. :-P
Finally a diet that I can make a lifestyle!

Started June 2010
6/27/2010 - 226 lbs
10/17/2010 - 203 lbs - 10% weight loss goal!
1/29/2011 - 182 lbs - 2nd 10% weight loss goal!
5/29/2011 - 165 lbs - 3rd 10% weight loss goal! (one more to go)

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:44 am

I generally count them as snacks too. But I usually shop on weekends, so it's not an issue.

However, I have made exceptions. One time there was a salsa I was considering buying, but wanted to know how much cilantro it had in it (I don't care for cilantro). So, I took that taste to find out. (And saved $$, since I didn't like it.)

Some questions to consider if you're thinking about a middle ground...
- Is this something you'd genuinely consider buying? Really truly?
- Do you already know what it tastes like, or are you pretty sure? (Chips are not THAT unique.)
- How big is the taste? Are you eating one tiny bite, or half-a-cupful (the "tastes" at places like Sam's could be lunch!)

(Kind of goes along with my rules for cooking tastes... am I making a decision, do I already know what it tastes like, how much am I eating...)

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:54 am

I consider it a snack, unless I really don't know what the item tastes like, and I'm seriously considering buying it, right now ("might buy it someday" doesn't cut it).

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:12 am

Sienna wrote:The rule I made for myself on this is that if I'm genuinely considering purchasing the product being tasted AND I really truly think I need a taste to determine if I want to purchase the product, I will allow a sample. Otherwise it's a snack.
I agree. Most of the samples are just a taste anyway -- no bigger than something I'd sample/taste when cooking.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:04 pm

This is an excellent approach.

And I feel for you, Buddy. We have a Trader Joe's that we go to every Sunday after church to do our shopping. More people are smiling there than at church. *Love* the place. Love the samples. I eat the samples! :)
Sienna wrote:The rule I made for myself on this is that if I'm genuinely considering purchasing the product being tasted AND I really truly think I need a taste to determine if I want to purchase the product, I will allow a sample. Otherwise it's a snack.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:52 pm

I kind of like getting to sample things at the grocery store, so it's not something I've banned myself from doing on N-days. There are plenty of times when I don't try any of the samples I see, but if I see something that looks really good (in a SAMPLE size, not half a slice of cake) and I want to try it, I just try it. I know a lot of people would consider this grounds for failure, but I guess I find that I'm able to self-regulate the sampling enough to the point where it doesn't effect my weight or, more importantly, general habits. If I was letting grocery store samples give me permission to start snacking or "sampling" things at home, that would be another story. Plus, I'm only at the grocery store once or twice a week--a sample every couple of trips doesn't hurt me.