Micro-Managing Our Health

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Over43

Micro-Managing Our Health

Post by Over43 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:17 pm

I watched the last two days of the Dr. Oz show. I don't mind the guy, he's obviously intelligent, amiable, and I kind of enjoyed the show.

The thing I noticed most yesterday was his micro-managment of his/our health.

I take a daily multi-vitamin. That's all. If I put all the coconut oil on my skin, ate all the salmon, and downed all of the supplements he suggests I'd have to mortgage my house.

Granted I always love the smell of coconut tanning oil on my wife, I just can see me having a cabinet full of this and that that I would never use.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:28 pm

I think we forget in many ways how very healthy we really are.

So Big and Healthy Even Grandpa Wouldn't Know You
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Nicest of the Damned

Re: Micro-Managing Our Health

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:49 pm

Over43 wrote:I take a daily multi-vitamin. That's all. If I put all the coconut oil on my skin, ate all the salmon, and downed all of the supplements he suggests I'd have to mortgage my house.
That's probably what he wants you to do. He probably gets a cut of the money you spend, at least if you buy the supplements he endorses. He would probably like it very much if you mortgaged your house to give money to him.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:03 pm

Noel,

That was/is an excellent article, thank you. I think the only "exception" to this was ancient Rome. If you could get out of childhood alive in the Roman Empire you could expect to live to be 78.

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:01 am

Over43 wrote:Noel,

That was/is an excellent article, thank you. I think the only "exception" to this was ancient Rome. If you could get out of childhood alive in the Roman Empire you could expect to live to be 78.
If you weren't a slave. :)
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

gettheweightoff

Post by gettheweightoff » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:28 pm

I'm glad someone addressed this. He's a nice guy and all but I can't stand that every day he's pushing some other diet. They all contradict one another though he stays true to the salmon, almonds and coconut oil.

I'm tired of hearing all about these "super foods" too. They all cost a fortune and you know what most of them taste like shit!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:38 pm

gettheweightoff wrote:
I'm tired of hearing all about these "super foods" too. They all cost a fortune and you know what most of them taste like shit!
I'm also tired of hearing about the Super Foods, but don't agree that they all cost a fortune or taste like shit (though I think that most soy products and whole grains do!). Although salmon, which should be wild-caught is expensive enough to fall into the "treat" category, as are pasture-raised meats and free-range chicken and eggs.

My real problem with them is that he/they want you to eat these things daily, or a couple of times weekly, when populations that eat seasonally eat them only when they're in season. Many out of season fruits and vegetables are pricey and not at their prime when we see them in the grocery.

Blame it on nutritionism.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:44 pm

Kevin wrote:

How true that is. :lol:

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:15 pm

wosnes wrote:
gettheweightoff wrote:
I'm also tired of hearing about the Super Foods, but don't agree that they all cost a fortune or taste like shit (though I think that most soy products and whole grains do!). Although salmon, which should be wild-caught is expensive enough to fall into the "treat" category, as are pasture-raised meats and free-range chicken and eggs.

My real problem with them is that he/they want you to eat these things daily, or a couple of times weekly, when populations that eat seasonally eat them only when they're in season. Many out of season fruits and vegetables are pricey and not at their prime when we see them in the grocery.

Blame it on nutritionism.
AGREED! Nothing irks me more than seeing descriptions of "superfood diets" that call for you to eat blueberries in January (unless they're frozen), apples in May, and broccoli in August.

What's more, most of the so-called "superfoods" are just real foods. There's nothing super about them--they get a super reputation when put alongside all of the processed, packaged junk most people it. It's just real food, and real food is what we're all supposed so it. It's a no brainer, really.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:47 pm

marygrace wrote:What's more, most of the so-called "superfoods" are just real foods. There's nothing super about them--they get a super reputation when put alongside all of the processed, packaged junk most people it. It's just real food, and real food is what we're all supposed so it. It's a no brainer, really.
I agree. Eat real food. If we eat real food and avoid the packaged, processed stuff, we'll be in much better shape.

One of the other things that annoys me about the Super Foods is that the "experts" are cherry-picking one food from one culture (soy, for instance) and that one from another culture (olive oil, as another example) and saying that we need to include these in our diets regularly. However, the Asians aren't using olive oil and those in the Mediterranean don't generally use soy products. They eat what's available locally and seasonally -- and have for many, many generations.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

amake616

Post by amake616 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:22 pm

When I was living in Gainesville, acai berries were the latest and greatest superfood (they still might be for all I know, I hate most berries so it's irrelevant to me lol) and since it was a college town there were smoothie shops everywhere and they all sold a variation of the super magical nutritious amazing Acai Berry "Smoothie" complete with two thousand calories worth of added sugar. Because it's so "healthy and good for you."

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:00 pm

Kevin wrote:

It helped to not be a woman, too. Childbirth without modern medicine is a risky proposition, and something I'm very glad I'm unlikely to ever have to do.

Not being female helped you get out of childhood alive, too. We have a surviving letter from a Roman to his pregnant wife, matter-of-factly telling her to expose the baby and leave it to die if it is a girl.