Tyler's Daily Check In- I'm a new guy.

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Pork Chop

Tyler's Daily Check In- I'm a new guy.

Post by Pork Chop » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:24 am

Hi all. I need to lose some lard so hopefully this will help keep me accountable. I'm going to Mexico in February for my yearly sanity break so I'm using my vacation as motivation. By the time my motivation begins to lag I will (hopefully) have build up the habit enough so it's painless.

12/12/05, Day 1, Monday

Eating :)
Exercise :)

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:32 pm

Welcome, Tyler!

Good luck with NoS.

C.
CaroleJo

Pork Chop

Post by Pork Chop » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:10 pm

Thanks Carolejo. I ate this way for awhile about a year ago but eventually gave it up because I made it too complicated and kept adding rules which eventually made it unworkable. I'm going to follow the standard NoS diet and leave the other rules as unofficial guidelines.

12/13/05, Day 2, Tuesday

Exercise= Skipped today. I was a little sore from Monday's workout.

Monday morning I weighed in at 271 lbs. My goal is to reach 240 by February 14 for my vacation and eventually go down to 225 to 230. I'm 6' tall and a long time strength trainer and exercise enthusiast so 225 is actually pretty lean for me.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:37 pm

Welcome, Tyler.

Good luck on leaving it at "good enough" this time, and may you be a lean pork chop by february.

Reinhard

Pork Chop

Post by Pork Chop » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:43 pm

I may even make it to grade A pork loin if I watch myself!

I read something once that encouraged you to "underachieve" in your plans to diet and exercise. Like having a goal to work out for 20 minutes and only do 15. It's beautifully motivating in the fact that as long as you are just doing something, even if it's less than you planned, you still get where you want to go. I actually find that if I plan to underachieve on a workout I end up doing the whole thing anyway. It's "showing up" that's the hard part.

Psychologically, I think this concept works the same way as the NoS and Shovelglove work by making something insignificant enough that you actually do it.

Great job on your websites by the way. Your concepts are golden.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:16 pm

It's "showing up" that's the hard part.
Oh I'm 100% in agreement on that part, and have already waxed long and lyrical on the subject several times.

Congratulations on showing up! It's the hardest thing to do of all.

:D
C.
CaroleJo

Pork Chop

Post by Pork Chop » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:07 pm

12/14/05, Day 3, Wednesday

Pork Chop

Post by Pork Chop » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:45 pm

12/15/05, Day 4, Thursday

Eating- Failure.
Exercise :) Lots of snow to shovel and blow today.

I didn't eat any carbs with lunch and had a very active afternoon. I ended up with a monster headache in the early evening so I added a meal of apple juice and a Kashi granola bar before supper. I felt much better afterwards. Live and learn. It seems like balanced meals are important to making this all work.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:06 pm

Hi Porkchop!
Do you remember Shari Lewis and "Lamb Chop" ??? LOL..

Anyways..Welcome and good luck with your new NoS and 75% success lifestyle~
Really, who needs perfection.. It's too unforgiving!
We need endurance and committment..
Sounds like you are off to a good start...
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

So what??? Do you like pork chops a lot??? LOL....
I should probably name myself Chicken Wing~ LOL...

Pork Chop

Post by Pork Chop » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:37 pm

gratefuldeb67 wrote:Hi Porkchop!
Do you remember Shari Lewis and "Lamb Chop" ??? LOL..

Anyways..Welcome and good luck with your new NoS and 75% success lifestyle~
Really, who needs perfection.. It's too unforgiving!
We need endurance and committment..
Sounds like you are off to a good start...
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

So what??? Do you like pork chops a lot??? LOL....
I should probably name myself Chicken Wing~ LOL...
I never really knew what to make of the "lamb chop" show. Somehow it made me want to throw up a little bit. :D Luckily my daughter isn't really into the puppet type shows.

I think you're right on with the endurance and commitment bit. I'm not going to can the entire plan because I occasionally underachieve. It's what you do most of the time that gets you where you need to be.

Pork chop doesn't really mean anthing...though they are pretty tasty! It's sort of a long-standing inside joke I had with my high school buddies.

Thanks for the support Deb!

Pork Chop

Post by Pork Chop » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:40 pm

12/16/05, Day 5, Friday
Eating :) ***
Exercise- not today unless Christmas shopping counts.

***It's my wife's 29th birthday this weekend. We started celebrating early so technically I didn't make it the entire day.

Pork Chop

Post by Pork Chop » Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:26 pm

12/17/05, Day 6, Saturday

Eating :) Hey, It's an S day. How can I fail?

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:55 pm

Eating Hey, It's an S day. How can I fail?
Exercise
EXACTLY!

Some people try to control S days instead of enjoying them for what they are.. A much needed mental health day!
Happy birthday to your wife!
You guys are so young! LOL...

Enjoy your Sunday..
Peace,
8) Deb

Pork Chop

Post by Pork Chop » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:26 pm

12/18/05, Day 7, Sunday

Sledding and making "igloos" can be good exercise and good exercise can be fun if you let it. :)
Last edited by Pork Chop on Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pork Chop

Post by Pork Chop » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:28 pm

gratefuldeb67 wrote: Some people try to control S days instead of enjoying them for what they are.. A much needed mental health day!
Happy birthday to your wife!
You guys are so young! LOL...
Thanks Deb! We had a great weekend.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:51 pm

Boy I really hope we get a good snowstorm soon! There's no point in Winter without sleighriding!!!
Yeah it's good exercise alright! I usually have to drag the sled back up the hill~ LOL... Normally, after sled riding my legs are trashed!!!

My son loves to snow board! He is sooo cool!~
Have a nice week..
Peace,
8) Deb

Pork Chop

Post by Pork Chop » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:11 pm

gratefuldeb67 wrote:Boy I really hope we get a good snowstorm soon! There's no point in Winter without sleighriding!!!
Yeah it's good exercise alright! I usually have to drag the sled back up the hill~ LOL... Normally, after sled riding my legs are trashed!!!

My son loves to snow board! He is sooo cool!~
Have a nice week..
Peace,
8) Deb
We've got about a foot or so from last week's storms. My daughter just turned 3 so really playing outside is mostly about fun for her and work for me. One of her favorite things is to throw snow 'rocks' on my freshly shoveled driveway. :lol:

Pork Chop

Post by Pork Chop » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:18 pm

12/19/05, Day 9, Monday

Eating- Failure!
Exercise- Failure!

12/20/05, Day 10, Tuesday

Eating- Failure!
Exercise- Failure!

Being at home with a sick family isn't fun. I've been working at home lately because my new work computer still hasn't shown up. Monday I actually followed plan but ended up having a bedtime comfort food snack. I gave up for today and am looking forward to tomorrow. I can't exercise because my home is my gym and sick people don't like me throwing weights around and grunting. I might try to get some Chi Kung in this evening though.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:45 pm

Not sure if you are the sick one, but sick days are S days... Maybe you can be an "honorary" sick person!

Yes it stinks to be cooped up with people who are feeling crummy!
My son just got better this morning but we spent the whole weekend indoors because of his cold... Fortunately it wasn't a really horrible one!
Thank you Lord!

Hope you all get well soon and don't worry about S'sing while people are convalescing (SP? :shock: )
Hey I made a rhyme!
LOL..

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Pork Chop

Post by Pork Chop » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:34 pm

12/21/05, Day 21, Wednesday

Pork Chop

Post by Pork Chop » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:42 pm

gratefuldeb67 wrote:Not sure if you are the sick one, but sick days are S days... Maybe you can be an "honorary" sick person!

Yes it stinks to be cooped up with people who are feeling crummy!
My son just got better this morning but we spent the whole weekend indoors because of his cold... Fortunately it wasn't a really horrible one!
Thank you Lord!

Hope you all get well soon and don't worry about S'sing while people are convalescing (SP? :shock: )
Hey I made a rhyme!
LOL..

Peace and Love,
8) Deb
Thanks Deb. I never really thought about sick days as being S days. I wasn't the sick one but I like the "honorary" sick person concept. Maybe we can make Mondays and Fridays honorary S days too? :D

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:45 pm

Now now! Steady on there with the crazytalk! :lol:

Next thing you'll be printing out your own version of the gregorian calendar, with Smonday, Stuesday, Swednesday....

:twisted:

Glad it's going a little better now. Hope everyone is back to 100% fit in no time.

C.
CaroleJo

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:55 pm

Yes this is getting a bit S excessive now!

But in all seriousness, sick days are definitely S days...

That is, if you are the "sick" one...
I always feel that when you really have a bunch of people around you who are sick and you are caring for them, it's almost more stressful than being the sick one...

Stuesday???
Sounds like a day to make Stew...
LOL...

Have a great Sthursday! :P
Love,
8) Deb

Pork Chop

Post by Pork Chop » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:03 pm

12/22/05, Day 22, Thursday

Ok I cheated a bit on the eating. I had seconds at dinner and had dessert afterwards. Technically, I could have fit firsts and seconds on a single plate by getting creative with vertical stacking and I could maybe stretch a bit and use desert in lieu of the meal I skipped but it's still cheating. I had a great workout though.

I went to the doctor today to get my allergy scrips renewed. My blood pressure was 128/60 or maybe it was 120/68. Either way it's pretty good, I guess. Also, my doctor (who is actually a DO) told me that my ideal weight would be about 252 lbs. given my current lean body weight. I was thinking I need to get below 230 but I guess I'll shoot for 250 and re-evaluate from there.

Pork Chop

Post by Pork Chop » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:05 pm

Thanks Deb and CarolJo for the laughs and encouragement. I really appreciate it. Back to marking up my calendar now... :lol: