hey - time you eat in oppose to what you eat

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

rick111

hey - time you eat in oppose to what you eat

Post by rick111 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:54 am

hey,
im new to the no s diet and love the philosophy behind it, applies to many walks of life

im currently eating 3 meals a day, breakfast 7.30-11.00, lunch 13.00-15.00 and dinner 18.00-20.00 but I'm always wanting something about 21-22.00 because I'm used to having supper!

what if I cut breakfast out and push everything else up a few hours so my 'dinner' feels like supper?

Or is it a bad idea to eat before you sleep? I try to get my head down around 22.30 - cheers!!

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:28 am

Hi Rick,

Here's my 2 cent's worth. Don't take it as the 'definitive answer though!' What do the rest of you think?

'Bad' depends on you. Everybody's body is different.

For me, it'd be worse if I didn't eat breakfast, and I rarely find that eating after dinner is finished and settled is a problem, but I know there are quite a few people on here who DO eat their meals later in the day and / or who struggle with evening eating. As long as you're clear with what you're doing and it works for you, there is no right or wrong. If you feel that not eating supper is something that you'll never get used to and it will never be 'sustainable', then you need to find something that addresses it. However, if it's a case of 'leave it be for a few weeks and you'll get used to it' then perhaps that's the right thing to do. I know there are several people who have reported that they go to sleep hungry but don't wake up hungry. Personally, I'd never be able to fall asleep if my stomach was growling, but again, that's just me. Some other people report that a warm milky drink before bedtime helps them to feel full and sleepy. Maybe you could try that?

Another option is to deliberately leave a space on your plate for dinner for an apple or something to fit on. Eat the apple (or other healthy thing) at suppertime as a 'virtually plated' part of your dinner.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to try, anyway.
C.
CaroleJo

rick111

Post by rick111 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:52 pm

thanks for the prompt reply, I'll have a think!

I am thinking that over time I'll be able to cut the supper craving out, so going to try that.. thanks

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:57 pm

Hi Rick111...

My son's name is Richard and my lucky number is 111!
LOL...

I say, experiment with times of day... You probably should aim to have at least 2 or 3 hours between your last meal and when you go to sleep... This isn't a NOS rule.. Just a general one for good digestion and sleep...
Most importantly, do what is sustainable and enjoyable for you...

That is more important than most other "scientifically" based evaluations...
Good luck to you!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:55 pm

Welcome, Rick.

I used to say "it's all about timing" on the no-s diet home page until I saw that 3-hour diet book had the same phrase on the cover. Didn't want to get into a long "but I came up with it first!" or by my silence seem like a copycat, so I just removed it. But the truth of it remains, and I'm glad that's still evident.

By all means, do experiment with the timing of meals. And don't be frustrated if it takes a few weeks to get it right.

Looking forward to hearing more from you,

Reinhard

rick111

Post by rick111 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:44 pm

thanks for the replies, excellent community :D

Tonight I ate a little later and I found that right after it wasn't 'supper' I was after, but something 'sweet' :?

I think I could even eat less at dinner if I could have something like an couple of 'after eights' afterwards, just to get that chocolate taste...

that's not gonna fly though is it, I would be directly violating the 's contract!' but at least I know what it is my body wants, so I can work with that...

thanks again

My name is actually Ryan, but 111 is my fav number.. it just 'works' if you get me :P

Shameless Hussey

Post by Shameless Hussey » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:35 am

rick111 wrote:... I would be directly violating the 's contract!' but at least I know what it is my body wants, so I can work with that...
I make a point of finishing each meal with a piece of fruit. Emotionally, that gives me a sense of "here's something sweet" without refined sugar; nutritionally, it automatically works in three servings of fruit each day; and it absolutely signals that the meal is now officially over!

Shameless Hussey

Post by Shameless Hussey » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:36 am

rick111 wrote:... I would be directly violating the 's contract!' but at least I know what it is my body wants, so I can work with that...
I make a point of finishing each meal with a piece of fruit. Emotionally, that gives me a sense of "here's something sweet" without refined sugar; nutritionally, it automatically works in three servings of fruit each day; and it absolutely signals that the meal is now officially over!

Kevin

You'll get used to it...

Post by Kevin » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:51 pm

You'll get used to not eating late: I did. I used to be an incorrigible late night eater: I'm not any longer. I do, sometimes go to bed mildly hungry, but, interestingly, I *never* wake up overly hungry. There are others here, though, that battle with middle-of-the-night refrigerator raids.

Personally, I think that eating around bed time is the worst possible time.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:47 pm

Hi Ryan,
Candy and soda are probably the worst enemies of our taste buds..
They throw everything off, and I really feel that it's so easy to fall off the sweets wagon over and over because, simply put, when you taste something that sweet, your mind and body expect more... It's the magic of "carb addiction"... I put this in quotes because, addiction, in Reinhard's thinking is too strong of a term, but physiologically, there really is an addictive process which goes on in response to regular consumption of refined sugars...
Basically, they never satisfy for any amount of time, so you are left always wanting more...
I agree wholeheartedly with Mz. Hussy (wow I'm in with the cool people! LOL.) that fruit is an excellent alternative... It's got real nutrition and fiber... Things the body needs for real...
Save the after eights for Saturday night!

I have mentioned this story a bunch of times in the past so sorry folks for repeating it, but it's because Ryan is new...

When I started NoS, I used to use Splenda and Equal... They threw off my perception of "what is sweet" in such a perverse way that when I shifted to using sugar again, and not the white refined kind, but natural nice tasting turbinado (unrefined cane sugar) I found myself putting four teaspoons into each cup of coffee, plus I'd put in a few shakes of dry hot chocolate mix (more sugar!)...
Gradually I cut down to two teaspoons, then after a year I went to one teaspoon... I still put in some sweetened chocolate soy milk too, as, like you, I feel that my body is "craving" chocolate, so this is my borderline fix which keeps me from wanting to have a hersheys bar every other day... I've been consciously trying to use less of the chocolate soy every day...

Wow that was a long story...
My main point, which I hope you were able to glean from this sugar laden story, is that sugar cravings can be tamed... But be very strict, as it just makes the process much easier and more effective...
You won't believe how different your attitude will be about "cravings" you felt were normal body signals, once you get off the sweets wagon for a few weeks... They aren't normal, they are just bad body habits...

Have a great day!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

rick111

Post by rick111 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:31 pm

thanks again for all your kind replies!

Given me a few things to think about which will help me on the nose diet!
:o