Lori's checking in (2011 edition)

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

LoriLifts

Lori's checking in (2011 edition)

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:31 pm

Another year, another blog.

Before 2011 officially begins, it's a good time to recap 2010..

NO S...how did I do?

Kind of wishy washy. The pattern seemed to be a couple days on, couple days off. The good news is that with the help of No S, I've broken my powerful habit of nighttime eating. This is a huge accomplishment for me.

My goal of 21 vanilla days never happened. My exercise goals took priority, I didn't have the commitment needed to stick with vanilla S. But I've got big plans ahead for 2011...

Exercise...how did I do?

Fabulous! I had 2 big goals for 2010. The first one was to wear my pedometer everyday and reach 5 million steps for 2010. I'm happy to say that I reached 5,000,105 steps!

The second exercise goal was to complete a series of marathons and half marathons. I did it! This year I completed marathons in Phoenix, New Orleans, Nashville, Park City, San Diego and Seattle. I completed half marathons in Dallas, Denver, Los Angeles and Las Vegas.

Weight loss..how did I do?

Not bad. Even with part time No S, I lost about 10 lbs this year.

What's the plan for 2011?

This will be the year to fully commit to No S. I feel so great accomplishing my exercise goals. Next New Years Eve, I would be ecstatic if I can say I was a No S'er for the whole year. I'm going to set up my HabitCal after this post.

Bring on the New Year!
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:14 am

Looks like a great 2010.

Best wishes for success during 2011!
Girl Next Door
"Don't I know you from somewhere?"

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:31 pm

Best wishes back at you GND. I like your avatar!

How great is it that Jan 1 is an S day? My husband and I went for a morning hike, the remainder of the day is going to be spent in the house. It's cold here in New Mexico!

In addition to Vanilla S, I'll still maintain my intermittent fasting days. Fasting and No S work really well together, both are simple to follow and have minimal rules.

I'm curious to see how my Vanilla S/intermittent fasting experiment works. I'm confident that I'll finally fit into the skinny pants that have been silently mocking me in the back of my closet.

It can't be Jan 1 without my yearly exercise goals. I'm doing a half marathon in Phoenix in 2 weeks. Then a marathon in New Orleans in February. After the full marathon, I'll be sprinkling in more half marathons throughout the year.

One more thing..I dusted off my shovelglove and did a short workout this afternoon. It was only 4 minutes but it's a start...
Last edited by LoriLifts on Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:35 pm

I'm looking forward to tomorrow, it's an N day!

This afternoon my husband and I are doing a 3 mile run followed by some gym time. He'll be lifting heavy weights, I'll be in the steam room. Then we're going out to dinner.

Besides being an N day, tomorrow will be a fasting day. After dinner tonight, I won't eat until dinner tomorrow. I like to break my fasts with breakfast. And since I don't eat dessert with breakfast, a successful N day will be easy.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:19 am

My first SUCCESSFUL day of 2011!

It was also my first fasting day of the new year. After last night's dinner I fasted until tonight's dinner. I was really busy with work all day so I didn't encounter any problems.

I'm working out of town for the next 2 days, after I checked into the hotel I hit the treadmill for awhile. Even though it was a big pain at times, I'm glad I did the 5 million step challenge last year. I'm in the habit of ensuring that I do some exercise almost everyday.

Speaking of exercise, I have a new nifty little gadget, it's called a Fitbit. It really tiny and attaches to your clothing. It records your activity level, miles walked and calories burned. You can even wear it at night, it records how much time you actually sleep and how many times you wake up. I was surprised to see that one night I woke up 15 times!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:28 pm

Thank God it's clementine season!

These tasty little fruits are helping get the dessert monkey off my back. They're sweet and small enough to fit on my plate. For lunch today, I was able to fit 2 on my plate and was tickled pink!

Today, with the help of seasonal fruit, was a SUCCESS.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:05 am

Today was a SUCCESS

I'm re-reading Reinhard's book, at least a couple paragraphs every night before I go to sleep. I especially like the chapter on building the No S habit. I need to go back and listen to the podcasts too.

Besides the book and podcasts, I'm going to be a more active member of the No S community. The people on this board are so supportive, It's uncommon to read any negative or disparaging comments. That is a rarity in cyber-ville!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:25 am

I'm extending the moderation mindset to other aspects of my life.

In addition to my diet, I'm going to be moderate in exercise. I was seriously contemplating doing a 50 mile race in April. I've decided to downsize to the half marathon distance. I'm already locked in for the New Orleans full marathon in February. After that, I'm only doing the half marathon distance for the remainder of the year.

I'm going to strive for 30 min of exercise a day. I'm not going to make a schedule, I'll just do what sounds good. Today I was working next to a pretty 3.3 mile walking trail. The weather was nice so I put on my sneakers and took a walk.

I think I'm going to like this moderation stuff. I've always been an extreme kind of gal, this will be a nice change of pace.

One more thing, the only tracking tool I'm using this year is HabitCal.

Moderation..it's a good thing.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:10 pm

That Reinhard must be some kind of crazy genius. Or at the very least, a super smart guy. It's impressive enough that he gave us No S. But then he followed up with the HabitCal!

Maintaining my HabitCal is going to be an important tool in 2011. Last year, I would stop updating it when I had a string of failures. This year, whether it's a sea of green or red, I'm sticking to it. I"m going to be accountable for my actions, whether I like it or not.

Looks like it's shaping up to be an enjoyable weekend. Temps in the 40's but sunny. My husband and I are hiking this afternoon. Tomorrow I have an 8 mile walk scheduled, in anticipation of next week's half marathon in Phoenix.

I need more coffee..

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:30 pm

I think I'll join you with the habitcal thing. No matter what, I'll keep up with that, even if its a sea of red.

Good idea.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:16 pm

Thanks for stopping by Noel.

I definitely have a love/hate relationship with the HabitCal. Seeing a field of green across my calender makes me so happy. But when it's red....that's when I have to face reality instead of ignoring it.

I've got it the "I'll deal with that issue another day" attitude. If something bad is occurring ( like out of control eating), I don't obsess or ruminate. I just ignore it and get on with my day. Until the day arrives when I can't fit into my pants!

For that reason I'm also going to weigh in on the 1st and 15th of every month. I don't have a specific goal, it's just another way to stay accountable.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:33 pm

Today is a fasting day until dinner at 6pm.

I'm amazed at how much I enjoy my fasting days. I like not thinking about food for 24 hours. I'm a sales rep who services supermarkets, sometimes I'm in 7 different ones a day. I'm surrounded by the sights and smells of food. On my fasting days, I can walk by the bakeries and cheese and bread departments without even a second thought. I'd like to think it's because of my rock solid willpower. The reality is that I'm a very black & white type of person. Fasting = No Food. I can't get more black & white than that (although the No S rules come close).

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:48 am

When faced with a tempting S day food on an N day, clench your fist for a few seconds. Tensing your muscles will break your concentration on the food and get you focused again.

I read about this trick last week. I wasn't sure it would work but guess what? It did. The food has to be in front of you, that was the case when I stopped at my local coffee place. The oatmeal cookies were calling to me. I almost gave in but then I remembered the fist clench. I clenched and unclenched a couple times, took some deep breaths and left with a black coffee.

tobiasmom

fasting day

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:05 pm

Can you tell me what you have on your fasting day? Is it a water fast, or do you do juice or tea? I like this concept of giving my digestive system a rest for a day each week. Just wondered how it works for you.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:10 pm

Yeah, WL,
I'm also curious about your fasting. Is it once per week? Accompanied by juice, caffienated bev's?
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:48 am

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

I follow a fasting program called Eat Stop Eat, by Brad Pilon. In a nutshell, you fast for 24 hours once or twice a week, whatever you feel comfortable doing. I fast from dinnertime, around 6 pm to the following day at 6 pm.

On my fasting day, I only have water and coffee. Since I break my fast at 6pm, I don't have to go a whole day without a meal.

Intermittent fasting is one of those things that you either love or hate. I love doing it, it's a feeling of accomplishment when my 24 hours have been completed. On the other hand, my husband hates fasting and views it as a form of punishment.

You can find more info on Brad Pilon's website. If you goggle Eat Stop Eat, it should pop up.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:55 pm

Off I go to Phoenix, for the half marathon.

Back next week..

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:30 pm

I had a terrific time doing the half marathon in Phoenix.

I love the half marathon distance, it's long enough to be challenging but not so long I feel tired afterwards. Half marathons fit nicely into my "moderation" lifestyle. My next one is 3 weeks from now in New Orleans.

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:51 pm

Lori, you are amazing. Keep up the good work :wink:
Berry

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:01 pm

You rock Strawberry Roan!

I stepped on the scale yesterday, down 6 lbs since the beginning of the month.

I mentioned earlier that I'm using Fitbit to track my daily sleep and calories burned. There is also a tab to input calories eaten. Then, based on calories eaten vs calories burned, Fitbit calculates if you're losing or gaining weight.

I hate logging my food or counting calories (that's one of the reasons I stick with No S). However, I was curious to see how this feature of Fitbit works.

For a couple weeks I tracked my food and God help me, counted calories. I have to admit it was eye opening. For example, breakfast. If I measure 3/4 cup of my cereal, it equals about 170 calories. Before calories counting, I probably had 2 cups. And that's before the berries and almond milk!

I discovered that I can have the 3/4 cup serving with some berries and half the amount of almond milk (35 calories vs 70) and still be satisfied. I probably cut 250 calories off breakfast without even feeling deprived!

I found easy ways to cut calories from my lunches and dinners too.

I'm ending my calorie count experiment but I'm going to incorporate what I learned into my No S life.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:44 pm

I've been on a quest to find a suitable dessert type thing for my N day dinners.

In 2010 evening snacking was my trouble area. It took me most of the year but I'm happy to say that I conquered that problem.

This year I'm focusing on busting the dessert after dinner on N days habit.

I successfully quit my evening snack habit by taking baby steps. I plan to do the same with dessert after dinner.

Step 1 was finding the right transition dessert. Something that's sweet but not too sweet. Something that I can enjoy but that I don't consider an indulgence.

After many different experiments, from fruit mini candy bars, I think I've found a good fit ....

The Protein Bakery in New York City. Their cookies and brownies are made with whey powder and are wheat free. I ordered a variety of cookie flavors online and used them this week as my after dinner dessert. Each package holds 2 little cookies so they fit on my dinner plate. And the best part is they taste good! I look forward to having them after dinner but don't feel the need to eat more than two. Maybe it's the addition of the protein powder but I'm satisfied.

I think I'll place another order this afternoon. In addition to the little cookies, they also sell big ones and brownies. I'm sticking to the mini cookies, the big ones will spill off my dinner plate!

In a month or so, I'll wean myself down to 1 little cookie, then eventually none..

amake616

Post by amake616 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:02 pm

:shock: There's a bakery just for protein powder baked goods? Wow. Talk about a realllly specific niche business. Detroit has like one French style bakery and we're so proud of it! lol

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:02 am

I wish I would have thought of a Protein Bakery...I'd be rich!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:57 pm

Once a year my husband reluctantly joins me in one of my out of town races. Last year we did the Park City marathon in Utah together. This year we're heading to Wisconsin to do the Green Bay half marathon in May. He loves my year of moderation, he only has to train for half a marathon!

This afternoon is one of our training runs. We're running for 5 miles. Since the weather is so nice, we're going to walk 5 miles beyond that point to end up at our gym. Once we're there we'll sit in the steam room for a bit then shower and go out to dinner.

The walking part of the day is the fun part. Along the route is our favorite coffee shop, we're going to make that our rest stop.

Every couple of months I like to plan a Big Walk. They range from 10 - 20 miles and unlike training runs, are very loose and relaxed. I have planned stops along the way to rest to have something to drink or eat. It's fun to walk around the town you live in, someday I'd love to do a Big Walk in Europe.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:19 pm

This weather is crazy! Sunday, the day of the Big Walk was sunny and in the mid 50's. Today the high is going to be 20 and we're covered in snow! I'm supposed to be working but I can't get out of my driveway. I had to brew my own coffee this morning!

I'm hoping the weather clears up in a couple hours, I'm already bored with being home.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:18 pm

Love the sound of your "Big Walks." I dream of doing a walking tour somewhere in Europe someday. (Right now, I'm not in shape for it, though. I'm thinking of doing the 3-day breast cancer walk at some point... )

Hope the weather in your area improves!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:40 pm

Hi KCCC :)

Since I'm snowed in, I've been very tempted to use today as an Exempt day.

Very very tempted...

Snow day, it even starts with an S!

Nope, I'm sticking with an N day. Now that I've typed it, I can't change my mind!

I think I'll make some tea...

amake616

Post by amake616 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:53 pm

I feel you, tonight and tomorrow are both gonna be totally snowed in and I'm already feeling the desire to bake and make like Little House on the Prairie :roll: I'm compromising, since even moderately caloric drinks are okay on this plan, I'm having a small hot rum or spiced wine tonight.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:01 am

Spiced wine!
Why didn't I think of that!
That's what I'll be sipping on the next snow day.
Thanks for the suggestion!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:26 am

Happy New Year!

Today is the Chinese New Year. The Year of the Rabbit, which from what I've read, is supposed to be a lucky sign.

Since I've had more red days than green since Jan 1, I feel like I'm getting a second chance to start the year over! I feel lucky already!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:14 pm

I need a 2011 goal. One that's tough but do-able.

Not a weight goal, I'm happy with the slow and steady progress I'm making with No S and intermittent fasting.

I need a big exercise goal that I can devote the obsessive side of my personality to achieving. I had planned on only doing half marathons this year but they're not enough of a challenge for me.

Last year it was the Rock and Roll series of races around the country. It was fun to collect all the medals and cross another race off my list.

This year, instead of lots of races, I'm setting my sites on one Big Magilla. I'm going to train for a 50 mile race in September.

Official training begins in May. I've got until that time to buckle down with No S to shed a few more pounds. I want to be as light as I can if I'm covering 50 miles!

This is going to be fun..

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:25 pm

Do you run then entirely of a 50 mile race?
walkerlori wrote:I need a 2011 goal. One that's tough but do-able.

This year, instead of lots of races, I'm setting my sites on one Big Magilla. I'm going to train for a 50 mile race in September.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:22 pm

Hi Kevin,

I do a walk/run thing. The formula changes but currently I'm doing 3 min of walking then 1 min of running. The cut off times for the 50 mile races that I'm considering is 14 hours. It will be tight but I think I could do a 3/1 walk run combo and still finish in time.

Today I'm going to decide which race to do and then register for it. Once I pay my registration fee I can't back out!

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:38 pm

Is that what most people do, walk/run it?

That's been my form of exercise lately (until the snow closed in), I run 100 paces, walk 100, run 100... when I say pace I mean left-right.

It hurts less than just plodding along at a slower pace. I run at a pretty good clip, then walk.
Kevin

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:46 am

Hi Kevin,

I've been doing a walk/run combo since I began completing marathons, about 13 years ago. My legs feel better when I alternate walking and running. I do know some people who think it's harder to keep switching, they would rather stick to all running or walking. I think it depends on the person.

Also the longer the race, the more walkers you see, especially in the back of the pack, where I usually hang out!

Jeff Galloway has a good walk/run training plan, if you would like more information. That's the one I used when I completed my first marathon, when I was 40. Since then I've done 33 marathons without any injuries so I'm a big fan of taking walk breaks!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:41 am

My husband and I were doing a 6 mile training run on Sunday. I was talking about the 50 mile race in Nashville that I'm thinking of doing. The race is on October 15. Our conversation went something like this...

ME: So I really think I'm going to commit to doing this race in October. I've got a good training program that begins in May.

HIM: If I say something, promise you won't get mad.

Uh-oh...this isn't going to be good...

HIM: If you're serious about doing this race, you should really think about the impact it will place on your body. It will probably be better on your knees and joints if you..well...maybe..if you...lose a little weight.

HIM AGAIN: Not that you need to lose weight...I'm just saying that 50 miles is a long way and maybe you want to be as light as possible...

ACK! We were only 3 miles into our run so I couldn't walk off in a huff. Actually, I wasn't mad, I was in fact, thinking the same thing. I just wish I said it before he did.

I'm making a deal with myself and my husband. The 50 mile training plan doesn't begin until the end of May, about 14 weeks away. If I haven't lost around 10 lbs, I'll postpone the race until next year.

In the meantime, I'm heading to New Orleans this weekend to do a half marathon...

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:34 am

My plan to do moderate exercise lasted for 1 month.

Although I had signed up for the full marathon in New Orleans, my plan was to do the moderate half marathon.

Instead of doing 13.1 miles, I ended up finishing the whole darn thing, 26.2 miles. And then I walked another 4.5 miles back to my hotel!

I felt so good that I'm planning for another marathon in 3 weeks, either one in Little Rock, Arkansas or Las Vegas. I may as well give in and embrace the extreme side of my personality. As long as I stay moderate with my food, I'll be happy.

I ate my way through New Orleans, from oysters to pralines. I probably ate more calories than I burned in the race!

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:06 pm

I'm impressed. 26.2 miles is a ton, then you waked 4 back to the hotel, so over 30 miles.
walkerlori wrote:My plan to do moderate exercise lasted for 1 month.

Although I had signed up for the full marathon in New Orleans, my plan was to do the moderate half marathon.

Instead of doing 13.1 miles, I ended up finishing the whole darn thing, 26.2 miles. And then I walked another 4.5 miles back to my hotel!

I felt so good that I'm planning for another marathon in 3 weeks, either one in Little Rock, Arkansas or Las Vegas. I may as well give in and embrace the extreme side of my personality. As long as I stay moderate with my food, I'll be happy.

I ate my way through New Orleans, from oysters to pralines. I probably ate more calories than I burned in the race!
Kevin

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:45 pm

Hi Kevin,
I almost did a 50K, which is 31 miles! I'm an ultra marathoner by default!
:D

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:56 pm

Weigh in day was yesterday. I'm down 7.3 lbs for the year, that's about 1 lb a week. I'm happy with that, especially after my mega blow out in New Orleans.

Last week I counted calories. As much as I loathe doing so, it really helps me become aware of what I'm eating, even on N days. I usually find some tasty lower calorie meals to add to my regular rotation. This time it's soup. For dinner I've been having some type of soup with a half cup of brown rice at the bottom of the bowl. I usually add a handful of greens to the mix, either spinach or arugula. And maybe a spoonful of greek yogurt on top.

Speaking of yogurt, I'm eating more greek yogurt for breakfast. I top it with some berries and maybe a little granola. It's a good way to start my day and I enjoy eating it.

Even though I've seen success on the scale, I think I'm done counting calories. I'll go back to it if my plates begin to overflow again.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:29 pm

Trader Joe's has a Pomegranate Greek Yogurt that's 12 grams of carbohydrate and a whole lot of wonderful.
walkerlori wrote:Weigh in day was yesterday. I'm down 7.3 lbs for the year, that's about 1 lb a week. I'm happy with that, especially after my mega blow out in New Orleans.

Last week I counted calories. As much as I loathe doing so, it really helps me become aware of what I'm eating, even on N days. I usually find some tasty lower calorie meals to add to my regular rotation. This time it's soup. For dinner I've been having some type of soup with a half cup of brown rice at the bottom of the bowl. I usually add a handful of greens to the mix, either spinach or arugula. And maybe a spoonful of greek yogurt on top.

Speaking of yogurt, I'm eating more greek yogurt for breakfast. I top it with some berries and maybe a little granola. It's a good way to start my day and I enjoy eating it.

Even though I've seen success on the scale, I think I'm done counting calories. I'll go back to it if my plates begin to overflow again.
Kevin

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:33 pm

Thanks for the tip Kevin. I'll be at TJs tomorrow and will add it to my cart.

If it's pomegranate I know I'll love it. I'm an employee of POM pomegranate juice. I know how good it is for you!

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:38 pm

The only downside is its color. For whatever reason, they made it sort of spackle grey. But it tastes great. It makes me want to buy POM and add it to their full fat Greek yoghurt. I'll bet that would rock.

walkerlori wrote:Thanks for the tip Kevin. I'll be at TJs tomorrow and will add it to my cart.

If it's pomegranate I know I'll love it. I'm an employee of POM pomegranate juice. I know how good it is for you!
Kevin

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:49 pm

Lately I've been driving my husband nuts.

Even though we've been married for a million years, we are very different.

For example, take our annual exercise goals.

My husband picks one or two goals, per year. For 2011 it's the May half marathon in Green Bay and hiking the Grand Canyon this summer. He commits to the goals, trains and completes them. Done.

Here's how I do things. In January, I begin shopping for goals. A 50K race in April, that sounds fun! How about a half marathon a month, I like that idea! Or maybe 50 miles in September? I like to gather all my "maybe" goals and put them in an option bucket. Every week or so, I pull one out to think about it. I don't commit until I register for a race. Even after registering, I still may change my mind. Two weeks ago, I had signed up for the New Orleans marathon but had planned on only completing the half. I ended up doing the whole marathon plus walking 5 miles back to my hotel!

Next weekend I'm going to Las Vegas for a race. It may be a marathon or it may be a half marathon. I'm still not sure. The one thing I know for sure is it's making my husband crazy!

The good news is that I have no food goal ADD. Since I discovered No S, it's been my primary way to eat. I'm still striving to complete my goal of 21 days of vanilla S. Maybe in March...

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:52 pm

Sunday is an N day for me. I use Fridays and Saturdays as my S's.

I'm happy to be back to an N day, my S's were a bit wild this weekend. One of the reasons I love this plan is that no matter how much I indulge on S days, I get to wipe the slate clean with an N day. I just had some fruit and yogurt for breakfast and I feel great!

My husband and I are going hiking this morning. This afternoon we may go to the gym for an hour or so. Then spend some quality time on the couch this evening. It's going to be a good day.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:21 am

Tomorrow is March 1.

What if I tried posting everyday for a month?

What if I tried the 21 day Vanilla S challenge again?

Let's see what happens..

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:36 pm

It felt good to mark the first square of March green.

Actually today is a fasting day until dinner. I haven't done one in awhile, it was tough going around 1pm. It's later in the day and now I feel fine. Fasting days are so much easier when you stick to a regular schedule. For March, unless a work obligation arises, I'll plan to do my 24 hour fasts on Tuesday and Thursday.

I completed a "gym biathlon" this afternoon. I did 3 miles on a stationary bike followed by 2 miles on the treadmill.

Three more hours until dinner...

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:39 pm

My everyday posting in March commitment prevented me from failing today.

Around 2pm my motivation and focus tends to lag. The mental bargaining begins at the same time. Today my sneaky brain was whispering "Why don't you start the 21 day challenge after the half marathon this weekend". Start it as soon as you cross the finish line. It will be symbolic! You can still get 21 whole days in March. What a great idea!"

Tempting...tempting...

But I didn't cave in. As soon as I arrived home I entered a green square on my HabitCal. There's nothing worse than putting down for a green day, then having to switch it to red later that evening.

I think I'll go outside for a distraction workout..

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:45 pm

I have one rule for taking an extra S day, if it falls within 48 hours of a race.

On Saturday I'll be in Las Vegas for a half marathon.

That means that today is an S day!

I won't be able to update my blog until Monday, when I'm back home. My plan is to take an S day on Friday and Saturday, then back to an N day on Sunday.

I'll report back on Monday...

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:09 pm

Good luck with the 13.1 miles!
walkerlori wrote:I have one rule for taking an extra S day, if it falls within 48 hours of a race.

On Saturday I'll be in Las Vegas for a half marathon.

That means that today is an S day!

I won't be able to update my blog until Monday, when I'm back home. My plan is to take an S day on Friday and Saturday, then back to an N day on Sunday.

I'll report back on Monday...
Kevin

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:30 pm

Here's a great post from Brad Pilon, the Eat Stop Eat guy. After Reinhard, he's my next favorite common sense writer...

Life is too short to be overweight.

Seriously, I know this sounds shallow, but I believe it’s true.

Something about feeling fit, not worrying about the health of your body and looking the way you want to look is incredibly rewarding.

And time goes by quickly, so if you’ve been waiting to get in shape…WHY? It doesn’t matter if you are 25 or 95…Life is too short to not look the way you want to look.

Plus, if you are out of shape but thinking about getting into shape chances are this means you are surfing the net looking for nutrition and weight loss advice. Do this too often and you end up as one of those people obsessed with reading complex theories and arguments on weight loss, rather than finding a solution and getting on with it.

And you know how I feel about obsessing about nutrition (hate it). The LAST thing I wish upon anyone is to not have the body you want AND spend countless hours reading about crazy nutrition theories on-line…life is WAY to short to waste on that kind of nonsense.

So please, if you are waiting, planning, and organizing to finally lose weight and get the body you want. Stop. Life is too short. Just get it done.

Life is too short to spend any more time than you absolutely have to in a body you don’t like.

And it’s not as complicated as you may think. Sure, it takes effort, consistency and the fortitude to stick with it.

( I’ve never met anyone who’s transformed their body in a month – so plan to be at it for a while.)

But it’s worth it. It really is.

BP

PS- from my experience, the longer you are lean, the easier it becomes to stay lean. <– consider this the light at the end of the weight loss tunnel.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:38 pm

I had 3 goals this month. Complete the half marathon in Las Vegas. Post everyday and complete a 21 day challenge.

I completed the race. Good for me!

I haven't been posting on a daily basis. Bad blogger!

As for the 21 day challenge, I can still pull this off if I don't succumb to anymore red days in March. I'm going to get this done once and for all...

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:03 pm

Speaking of races, I've seen some stellar signs this year.

Before this year, my favorite was "Run like you stole something".

At the New Orleans marathon, toward the end of the race, there was a lady holding up this sign " You've just run 25 miles. You have lots of stamina. Give me a call at 474-2853".

HA!

That was a good one! However, the one I saw last weekend is the best so far..

"Keep running. Charlie Sheen is winning"

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Speaking of running, time to get off the computer and do my 10 miler..

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:01 pm

My weighted vest has arrived!

And it's kicking my a$$!

I've been reading about weighted vests. Firefighters and the military use them for strength conditioning and fitness. They can be worn when you do interval training or hiking or even as added weight when doing a weight workout.

I was at a fancy spa years ago and had a consultation with a big deal type of fitness expert. He told me to put extra weight into a backpack and take a long walk. He said that the extra weight tricks your body into thinking it weighs more than it does. This will boost your metabolism and your body will burn more calories during and after the exercise. He recommended that I start with 8-10 extra pounds. I could work my way up to 15-20 extra pounds.

I wanted to invest in a really good vest, I wanted to make sure I got one that could distribute the weight evenly. I settled on a company called V-Max and bought a vest that can hold up to 30 lbs. The vest comes with 12 2.5 lb weights. I put 5 lbs in front and 5 lbs in back and set out for a 45 min hike. It was a killer! My heart was accelerated the whole time. I think I'll begin with a once a week workout, then progress to 2 or 3X a week. I may even bring it to my gym and use it on a stair climber. Yipes!

My big plan of completing a 21 day vanilla S challenge in March won't be happening. I'm back to doing No Snacks, No Seconds and 1 dessert that can fit on my plate for dinner. Someday the Vanilla S challenge will be completed. Maybe April...

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:06 pm

I was just reading a blog called The Drive Through Runner. This guy decided to eat only McDonalds for 30 days. I know that it's been done before but here's the kicker. He's a marathon runner. A really fast one. During the challenge he was training to run the Los Angles marathon, which is today. He was only eating McDonalds and putting in high mileage training runs. Twice he ran over 100 miles in a week.

He said that he didn't experience any bad side effects from only eating fast food. I looked at what he ate, he seemed to eat more the healthier McDonalds stuff. No McRib sandwiches.

He had blood work done before and after. His numbers were good before but after the challenge they improved! My guess is that the food didn't help him but all the training did.

I only go into McDonalds to pee. However, I agree with the calories in - calories out equation. If you're eating the right amount of calories for your body to be healthy, they can come from any source. I'm happy that I prefer salads over Filet O Fish!

Next weekend is another half marathon, this one is in Dallas. I've got a 10 mile training run scheduled for this afternoon. I'll be stopping at McDonalds around mile 5. To pee!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:22 pm

I sound like a broken record.

I'm going to do a 21 day challenge...I'm gonna do it this time..uh oh, I have a red day...I'll get back on track..but not today...I'll start next week..or next month..

I'm even bored reading what I wrote. Ugh...

The good news is that I completed another half marathon last week in Dallas.

And April is around the corner. I'm going to do a 21 day challenge...I'm gonna do it this time..uh oh, I have a red day...I'll get back on track..but not today...I'll start next week..or next month...

Just kidding! No 21 day challenge for me. It's time to fit No S to my crazy personality. I'm successful at completing races, I'm going to use the same techniques to be successful at No S.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:37 pm

I get dizzy just reading your posts. You do a lot of running!
Kevin

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:16 am

Hi Kevin,
If only I could transfer my commitment to exercise to No S, I'd be invincible!

PS...I'm working on it.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:32 am

I'm re-reading Brian Wansink's book "Mindless Eating".

One of the many good ideas in the book is choosing 3 diet changes per month that are easy to achieve. I think this may help me to get the No S rules to stick. The 3 small monthly changes will be focused on 1 No S rule. I'll work on 1 rule at a time until it's a habit.

On the Mindless Eating website, there is a Mindless Eating calender that can be downloaded. I love free downloads!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:38 pm

I'm giving a big thank you shout out to fellow No S'er TexArk.

Thank you TexArk :D

She linked an article on the discussion thread. It's under Habit Formation and the Extinction Burst.

The article begins with this..

The Misconception: If you stop engaging in a bad habit, the habit will gradually diminish until it disappears from your life.

The Truth: Any time you quit something cold turkey, your brain will make a last-ditch effort to return you to your habit.

And that's just the beginning. The article also includes phrases like "extinction bubble" and "operant conditioning". Before the article I never heard these terms. After I read it, I can't stop thinking about them.

I think this article is giving me the tools I need to finally get No S to stick.

I'm so confident, I'm giving the 21 day No S challenge one more try.

This should be interesting..

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:36 pm

I'm 2 hours away from completing my second fasting day of the week. I'm a happy camper..

Since January I've been attempting (and failing) to get back into my 2 days a week fasting schedule. I'd do one day then quit halfway through the second. Some weeks I couldn't even make it through the first day!

I confess, I was tempted to break it early today. Luckily I remembered the "Extinction Burst". I told myself that I'm having a temper tantrum because I can't have what I want right away. I wasn't going to give in so I may as well move on with my day. I had a couple "tantrums" but I persevered.

After getting control of my fasting days, I'm moving on to the No S rules..

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:46 pm

Tomorrow I'm going to Las Vegas for the weekend.

Am I going for the endless buffets or the free cocktails or the bazillions of slot machines, waiting to pay me BIG BUCKS!

Nope, not me.

I'll be doing a half marathon on Saturday and a half marathon on Sunday. Back to back races! I'm going to be too tired to overeat or get drunk or gamble away my paycheck. That's a good thing.

I'll be back on Monday..

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:49 pm

Run Lori, run! :)
walkerlori wrote:Tomorrow I'm going to Las Vegas for the weekend.

Am I going for the endless buffets or the free cocktails or the bazillions of slot machines, waiting to pay me BIG BUCKS!

Nope, not me.

I'll be doing a half marathon on Saturday and a half marathon on Sunday. Back to back races! I'm going to be too tired to overeat or get drunk or gamble away my paycheck. That's a good thing.

I'll be back on Monday..
Kevin

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:34 pm

Who was the last person to cross the finish line on Sunday?
Me.
Who came in first female in the 50 - 59 category?
Me.

How crazy is that! I even got a special award!

My husband and I were in Las Vegas last weekend to do back to back half marathons, one on Saturday and one on Sunday. I was slow on Saturday but slower on Sunday. That doesn't bother me, as long as I'm still on my feet and moving forward, I'm happy.

On Saturday, there were several races beginning at the same time. Besides the half marathon, there was also a 100 miler and 50 miler. I'm fascinated by the people who can complete these distances, they seem like super heroes. The ultra marathoners were a mix of all types of people. One man that was doing the 100 miles looked like he was in his 70's. There was also a woman in her 70's.

Seeing the people doing these races has re-ignited my desire to become an ultra marathoner too. My goal for 2012 is to return to this race and complete the 50 miler. I've got 52 weeks to prepare.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:17 pm

If it's Saturday, it must be time to do a half marathon.

Albuquerque half marathon...done!

3 half marathons in 8 days baby!

And I've begun a 21 day vanilla S challenge!

I'm on a roll!

:D

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:02 pm

So here's the big plan...

Next April 23, 2012, I'll be turning 55. I want to celebrate this huge number by completing a 55 mile ultra marathon on April 21, 2012.

Training begins Dec 5. I have until that time to lose about 25 lbs. I'm no math whiz but that works out to about 33 weeks to lose 25 lbs, less than 1 lb a week.

I know what works for me. No S with 2 days of intermittent fasting per week.

I know what works but sticking to it has been the tough part. This big, scary goal seems to be keeping me focused. I'm going to sign up for the race on April 23, which is my 54th birthday. Once I pay the money there will be no backing out. And if I can't back out, I'll have to lose the weight once and for all.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:13 pm

I'm pasting this article on my blog. When I begin to think that the No S rules are too tough, I'm going to re-read it..

Lessons from The Marathon Monks – How to Achieve the Impossible

I’m big on goal setting. While I don’t always reach my goal, I know that I get a lot further toward it than I ever would had I never set the goal in the first place. Some of the goals I set are quite difficult and there are definitely times that I want to give up on them, but more times than not, I reach down inside and keep moving toward the goal. Whenever I want to give up, I think about the Marathon Monks.

The Marathon Monks are a group of Japanese Buddhist monks that are part of the Tendai sect located in the mountains looking over the ancient capital of Kyoto and have a quest called Hieizan Sennichi Kaihogyo (Mt. Hiei 1000 Day Journey) that would seem impossible. Yet over 45 have completed it, the last being Genshin Fujinami in late 2003. The goal is to run the equivalent of the entire equator – or once around the world over an 8 year period. Here are the details of the journey for those that try:

The first three years the monk will run approximately 18 miles a day along narrow paths in the mountains in nothing more than a pair if straw sandals and a robe (sorry, no state of the art running shoes or other gear). He must do this up and down trek along the mountains paths for 100 straight days during each of the three years. He starts at 1:30 in the morning each day and he needs to return by 9:00 AM because he is not excused from his regular daily chores which he also must complete each day.

In years four and five, the monk will travel the same narrow mountain path in the early morning hours, but increase the time to 200 straight days no matter what the weather – come rain, come snow, even come hurricanes.

In year six, he will increase the distance to 37 miles a day, or more than a full marathon each and every day for 100 consecutive days. He must return each day to do his normal, everyday chores just as all the other monks are required to do.

When he has completed the sixth year, he will endure the doiri: seven days and nights – 168 straight hours – (this is actually a recent relaxation of the rule because too many monks were dying when the doiri used to be 9 days and nights) sitting in a proper prayer position without any food, water or sleep. There will be two monks watching over him at all times to make sure he doesn’t sleep and he keeps the proper prayer position.

In year seven, the monk will increase the 100 consecutive day run to 52 miles a day, or the equivalent of 2 full marathons. While the daily chores he is required to do will be reduced during this time, they will not be eliminated.

The final year he will go back to where he began and run the original 18 mile course for 100 straight days.

Oh, and lest the monk decides somewhere along this stretch of eight years that it’s too difficult and he wants to give up, each and every day that he runs, he carries a rope and a knife with him. If he should fail to complete the course, the monk is ready to use one of these to either hang or disembowel himself.

Whenever I think about this story, the obstacles that I am facing with my goals seem pretty minor in comparison and the story gives me the motivation to keep going after my own goals. Here are some of the lessons that I come away with from this story:

Consistency pays off: While I wouldn’t exactly call starting off by running 18 miles a day for 100 straight days as taking baby steps, it does show that getting into a routine and consistently moving toward your goal on a daily basis will eventually get you to your goal no matter how impossible it may seem. As I have mentioned previously, 90% of game is not quitting. There will be times that you want to, but if you can come up with ways to motivate yourself to keep going during these times, you will eventually reach your goals.

Make the consequences of failing worse than to keep going: Being expected to kill yourself if you decide to quit is a pretty good motivating factor to keep going even at the lowest points. While I would never suggest that you make quite this drastic a consequence if you should give up on your goal, I know that putting in place consequences that make it more difficult to give up is important when I set up my goals. If I keep my goal to myself, then it is much easier for me to quit because nobody but me knows that I didn’t accomplish it. This is not the case if I tell everyone I know about the goal since I know many of them will hold me to it. Be willing to make consequences for not reaching goals and you will work much harder at achieving them.

Continue to do your regular daily stuff even when pursuing your goals: There are a lot of people that believe that they should give up everything else to concentrate entirely on one specific goal. While this may be appropriate in certain circumstances, I think it is a bad idea most of the time. Even during this impossible journey, the marathon monk is required to do the same daily chores as the rest of the monks.

When I started the sites and blogs, it was in my free time. While I did work a lot of hours each week on them, it was after finishing up my regular job. Had I quit my job and tried to build the income from day one, I would have failed. The income that I was earning at the time allowed me to live while putting in all my extra time into the sites and blogs. That’s not to say that you don’t have to make major decisions on time allocation, but in most cases you can reach your goals while still maintaining the daily necessities. Disregarding your daily tasks will often lead to failure.

Plough through obstacles: There are going to be a lot of obstacles no matter what your goals are and you are going to have to fight through them. Just as the Marathon Monk has to run no matter what the weather conditions, you are going to have to face the obstacles that are put in front of you and plough through them. While it would certainly be easier to wake up in the morning, look at the crappy weather and say that you were not going to work toward the goal that day, being able to get yourself out of bed and face the obstacle will get you closer to your goal.

The impossible is possible when you set your mind to it: Take a minute and reread what the Marathons Monks do over an eight year period. If you asked anyone if they thought it is possible, I would guess that most people would simply laugh in your face. Having run a marathon and being able to barely walk the next three days after finishing (this despite training extensively for it), it boggles my mind that 1 person has completed it, let alone more than 45. It goes to show that when you set your mind to reach a goal and if you are determined to reach it, the impossible often becomes possible.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:44 pm

Uh oh, I really did it this time.

I registered for a 50 mile race, it's next April 21 in Las Vegas. The timing was too good to resist, 2 days later, on April 23, I turn 55 years old. It's the perfect way to celebrate!

I have 1 year to lose the extra weight and train. It's very do-able, I just need to stay focused on the goal. The big, scary goal!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat May 21, 2011 2:43 pm

Look who's back in town! Me!

After much contemplation, I've arrived at one unavoidable conclusion...

Sugar is the common denominator on the days I fail at No S. I kicked the evening snack habit and not having seconds is easy.

Unless I eat dessert. One small dessert everyday has been my mod of choice since I began No S. It's time to face reality and admit that it's not working. I have rarely been able to eat one small dessert a day. It usually morphs into another a second helping or another piece later in the day.

One seemingly innocent cookie (or brownie, or cupcake) usually breaks all 3 No S rules. Keeping dessert as my mod is the reason I haven't been able to complete a 21 day challenge. And is the reason my pants are still tight.

After 3 years of failing, it's time to kick my mod to the curb. Training for the 50 mile race begins in the fall, I need to get this extra weight off before then.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat May 21, 2011 3:14 pm

Although I admit failure with my "One dessert a day" mod, I can happily say that I successfully completed another half marathon!

Last weekend my husband and I went to Green Bay Wisconsin for the half marathon. I've never been to Green Bay, running a race is the best way to see a new city. It's fun to run in the neighborhoods and see the people that live in the town.

The best part of the race is that it finished on the field at Lambeau Stadium! And the post race food was beer and brats! I'm not a meat eater so my husband ate his bratwurst and then finished off mine.

Here's a shout out to Wisconsin, thanks for the terrific weekend!

In June I'm heading to Seattle to do the half marathon. My plan is to stay in half marathon shape through the summer, until I need to train longer distances.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sat May 21, 2011 4:54 pm

I'm glad I'm doing no-s and not living with those monks.

I'd hate to have to disembowel or hang myself if I had a failure.

The discussion forum would be pretty lonely if everyone who had a forbidden cookie committed suicide.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat May 21, 2011 11:25 pm

Hiya Who Me?

I've been starting and stopping No S for over 3 years! I would have had to disembowel myself in 2008!

:shock:

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun May 22, 2011 2:23 pm

It's a gorgeous day in New Mexico. My husband and I are going to go for a long hike this afternoon.

I'm so happy that the summer fruits are arriving. I'll be using them on my meal plates to help bust my dessert habit. A good piece of watermelon is almost as good as a cookie!