Cheating?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ImprisonedBeauty

Cheating?

Post by ImprisonedBeauty » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:05 pm

Is it cheating to take an S Day on a holiday which you generally acknowledge but are not exactly celebrating?

Tomorrow is St. Patrick's Day. To me, it is one of those holidays that don't have much meaning to me (I'm not Irish, and I don't care if some guy christianized Ireland a long time ago - sorry, no offense to anyone who takes this holiday seriously) and I'm not exactly going to celebrate it (no parties or anything), but I still like to acknowledge it (saying Happy St. Patrick's Day, picking a shamrock and carrying it around, dumb fun stuff like that). I'm just not sure whether to call it an S-Day or not. Thoughts?
Taking it one small step at a time.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:20 pm

If you don't usually celebrate it, yes, it's cheating.

I've had an Irish coffee on St. Patrick's day for years, but made properly, it's hardly an S.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:27 pm

Alas, treating St. Patrick's Day as an S day, if it has no particular significance to you, is probably on the slippery slope to Cousin's Hamster's Birthday S days. :)

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:31 pm

What days start with "s"?
Saturday, Sunday and "Special" days. Special days include (your) national and (your) religious and (your) close family's and friend's birthdays.

From the No S website page. You decide :D

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:37 pm

DaveMc wrote:Alas, treating St. Patrick's Day as an S day, if it has no particular significance to you, is probably on the slippery slope to Cousin's Hamster's Birthday S days. :)
hahaha i always loved that part of Reinhard's essay :)
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

ImprisonedBeauty

Post by ImprisonedBeauty » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:44 pm

DaveMc wrote:Alas, treating St. Patrick's Day as an S day, if it has no particular significance to you, is probably on the slippery slope to Cousin's Hamster's Birthday S days. :)
LOL!

Bah... Alright, I guess I won't call it an S-Day. I think the sweets addict in me wants to look for any excuse to take an S-Day, but I'll keep fighting her. Thanks everyone for your help!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:44 pm

I'm eating things I rarely eat tomorrow (colcannon and corned beef), but nothing in excess or that would make it an S day. I don't like beer much, so that won't be a part of it, but it wouldn't make it an S anyway.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:18 am

I had a similar question about birthday S days, when I first started NoS (a year and a half ago) -- I wanted to know if I could shift my birthday S day, since it was on a Saturday, which I felt was unfair. The answer was along the lines of, "You're free to do whatever you want. But no."

I remember saying, "Tough crowd!" And, sheesh, now I'm one of 'em. :)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:39 am

imprisonedbeauty wrote:
LOL!

Bah... Alright, I guess I won't call it an S-Day. I think the sweets addict in me wants to look for any excuse to take an S-Day, but I'll keep fighting her. Thanks everyone for your help!
I might be having a brain fart here, but what sweets are associated with St. Patrick's Day? I can't think of any.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:58 am

DaveMc wrote:I had a similar question about birthday S days, when I first started NoS (a year and a half ago) -- I wanted to know if I could shift my birthday S day, since it was on a Saturday, which I felt was unfair. The answer was along the lines of, "You're free to do whatever you want. But no."

I remember saying, "Tough crowd!" And, sheesh, now I'm one of 'em. :)
LOL! I remember that!

Sienna

Post by Sienna » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:07 am

I might be having a brain fart here, but what sweets are associated with St. Patrick's Day? I can't think of any.
Shamrock shakes, grasshoppers, anything made with midori sour....

So mostly beverages come to mind. I may have St. Patrick's Day party/night out tomorrow (it's been and on and off thing since before the start of March...). I don't plan on taking a full S day, or even a full S event - but if there is a party (and it really still is up in the air), I do plan to be a little looser with allowing sweet celebratory beverages that I wouldn't normally drink on an N day. I'm not a beer drinker, and green cocktails just seem more appropriate than wine for the holiday. But no celebratory event will mean no sweet cocktails.

For me in examining S holidays, I like to look at in terms of S celebrations, and I don't plan on necessarily being consistent from year to year. Because its not about the particular day, but the event or celebration. So if my actual birthday was on a Saturday, but for scheduling reasons I was planning a party on Tuesday (lets face it, that is highly unlikely!), I'd take Tuesday as an NWS. But if I was celebrating on Saturday or not celebrating at all? No extra S day.

St. Patrick's day party? S! St. Patrick's day party not on St. Patrick's day for some reason? S (but only St. P party exemption per year...). St. Patrick's day with no party? No extra S day.

I suppose it could still get out of hand if my cousins decide to start hosting parties for their hamsters, but fortunately for me, none of my cousins own hamsters :lol: Plus parties/events tend to be on the weekends more often than not.
Finally a diet that I can make a lifestyle!

Started June 2010
6/27/2010 - 226 lbs
10/17/2010 - 203 lbs - 10% weight loss goal!
1/29/2011 - 182 lbs - 2nd 10% weight loss goal!
5/29/2011 - 165 lbs - 3rd 10% weight loss goal! (one more to go)

ImprisonedBeauty

Post by ImprisonedBeauty » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:14 am

wosnes wrote:
imprisonedbeauty wrote:
LOL!

Ahh... chocolate-mint sweets, sweets with Bailey's Irish Cream in them, green colored sweets, sweets in the shape of a shamrock or with shamrock decorations... That's all I can come up with off the top of my head.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:06 pm

I'm wearing a green scarf and hearing about others in my office planning thier sweet drinks, but I'm happy to be NoS-ing and just remembering the last corned beef meal I ate, while munching on my tofu stirr-fry because that was all I could manage to cook today. Happy St Patty's day everyone!!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:55 pm

KCCC wrote:
DaveMc wrote:I remember saying, "Tough crowd!" And, sheesh, now I'm one of 'em. :)
LOL! I remember that!
One point that this brings to mind: I'm guessing that you're relatively new to NoS, imprisoned? If so, you'll probably find it easier to be part of the "tough crowd", after a while. When you've been doing NoS for a year or two, it really does get easier to turn down opportunities for extra S days, because you'll start to find that two per week is plenty. (At least, that's what many of us have found, your mileage may vary, etc.) I actually feel a bit odd when I have extra S days in a week -- I do take 'em for statutory holidays, don't get me wrong, but it now feels a bit peculiar to be eating dessert on, say, a Monday. (And later this year, I'll have my very first birthday that won't fall on a weekend, and I'm darned well taking it as an S day!)

So that's one reason why it's easy for (relative) old-timers to sound tough about this: we often don't think of not having an extra S day as a big deal. When you're just starting out, though, every potential S day is huge.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:06 pm

Basically anything that they can make in green or decorate with a shamrock. Damn them. ;)
imprisonedbeauty wrote: Ahh... chocolate-mint sweets, sweets with Bailey's Irish Cream in them, green colored sweets, sweets in the shape of a shamrock or with shamrock decorations... That's all I can come up with off the top of my head.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:13 pm

Made my soda breads today and have had 2 pieces slathered in butter (and real butter too!) already! But then all of my grandparents were from Ireland and I knew them all and we have always celebrated! Luckily the Irish are not a big "food culture" - can you imagine if it was an Italian holiday!! (Of course a "drink culture" yes - but then Guinness is good for you!)

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:22 pm

I hate you (well, envy you, really). I haven't had good soda bread since my Gran' passed twenty-some years ago.
librarylady wrote:Made my soda breads today and have had 2 pieces slathered in butter (and real butter too!) already! But then all of my grandparents were from Ireland and I knew them all and we have always celebrated! Luckily the Irish are not a big "food culture" - can you imagine if it was an Italian holiday!! (Of course a "drink culture" yes - but then Guinness is good for you!)
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."