P90x or Insanity

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Brent_Corkins

P90x or Insanity

Post by Brent_Corkins » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:14 pm

Hi! Just curious if anyone had used or tried any of these workouts with any success. I have seen a similar workout pop up at Wahlgreens and Bed Bath and Beyond called Supreme 90 day ,seriously been considering trying it. DOes Nosdiet work well or do you need more a specific nutrition plan?

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:28 am

If you watch the infomercials, there is a similar workout being advertised that is $19.95, not $144.00. Forget the name though, I'll try to hunt it down.
Last edited by Over43 on Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:57 am

My daughter has been doing just the exercise part for 2-3 weeks. She's lost 7 pounds. I don't think she was consistent with the program for the first week or so since she was sick.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:49 am

I have definitely worked out consistently over several months and had great success. These programs do seem like an advantage because you're not having to guess and I'm assuming they have it figured out what body parts to push on each day.

I didn't keep it up, though.

Why not try doing 15 minutes of some resistance work, like Shovelglove, and 45 minutes of brisk walking a day for a few months first? Once you've proved to yourself you can be consistent, the money investment will see less risky.

No S may not get you as ripped as you might on a stricter plan, but that's not the point of it. It seems to me that people who aim at that can get pretty crazy with their food, during and after. Try moderation for a few months!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:50 am

Except from Screw Skinny, Get Fit (a book I'm doing on getting fit for the very sedentary. My target audience are mostly geeks):

12 Week Programs and the Problem

It is possible to hit the gym with Mjollnir-like intensity and get great results. Eat clean, exercise with weights and cardio 45 minutes a day six times a week, and yes, you’ll see a great dramatic change. I’ve done it myself and yeah, you’re feeling amazing by the end of it if you haven’t broken Rule One*. Oh, and you have to be fit enough at the beginning of it to take a pretty rigorous exercise schedule. If you’re at rehab levels, you’ll just hurt yourself. So for a healthy, moderately fit person, these 12 week programs are a godsend, right?

Get real. Are you going to dedicate 45 minutes a day to this for the rest of your life? Some do, and they’re the rarity. As an intellectual exercise try to think of any task you perform six days a week for 45 minutes. If there is such an activity, whatever it is you do, I bet you have a pretty amazing mastery at it. Is an amazing mastery of exercise what you’re going for? If it is, go man go! Have a great time.

Okay, now that the hard cores are gone, let’s put our feet up and get realistic here. If you’re reading this, chances are you’re a geek of some sort. You really do have mastery of some cool stuff. You might even go from obsession to obsession over interesting things. That’s a good thing, mostly.

I want to caution you against making exercise one of those obsessions. I mean, if you’re going to be into 15th Century Japanese textiles and dye techniques for the next three months, okay. You’ll dive in, learn a whole bunch and then taper off. Your health isn’t going to be effected by that. Up and down fitness isn’t good for you. Save the obsessiveness for something else.

You’ll get better, more lasting, and easier long-term results if you don’t treat getting fit as a project with an end date, but more like doing the dishes or washing your underwear . You’re going to have to do dishes every day. What I’m recommending is more like the advice of cleaning as you go when you cook. It’s going to take years to get to the big, dramatic results. And who cares? This is about the rest of your life, not about next
week.

15 Minutes a Day

I wanna talk minutes spent exercising for awhile.

Let’s say you go hammer and tongs at a 12 week exercise program. You’re doing that 45 minutes a day six days a week your program requires. You actually manage to keep it up for the whole 12 weeks before you taper off and give up for about a year before you hit it again.
Then compare to someone who exercises for fifteen minutes a day five days a week. That person just isn’t getting his or her exercise in like the person doing the 12 week program, right?

Wrong! If you do the six days a week, 45 minutes a day for 12 weeks, you rack up 54 hours of exercise. That fifteen minutes a day you manage to stick to the whole year? That’s 65 hours of exercise. Can you face a fifteen minute walk or calisthenics session? Barring mobility issues (and we’ll talk about them), that’s trivial. But in the long term, you’re exercising considerably more than the off-and on hardcore.

The little things you stick to add up more and better than the big dramatic stuff you do. Barring getting heavily into a sport or activity simply because you’ve fallen in love with it, don’t go there. Small consistency works better in the long term, even if it doesn’t make a dramatic movie montage. It won’t seem impressive on the outside, and probably won’t even feel impressive to you.

The problem with the little bits approach is that you really do have to be consistent! You can get fit in fifteen minutes a day if you stick to it over years. In 12 weeks? Nope, you’re not going to notice much.
In fact, if you really do commit to this approach, I’d advise putting yourself through a series of fitness tests, writing them down, and then forgetting about them for a year. Going back after that time, you’ll notice a difference. The problem is that you won’t notice much of a difference day by day. It’s so gradual and incremental! Those tiny increments do add up, though. You’ll find that little by little things that used to be difficult aren’t any more. Better yet, you’re not hurting yourself or making yourself feel bad in the process.

* Don't be a... copulating idiot.

© 2011, Noël Lynne Figart
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:13 pm

I knew I would hunt this down Brent.

https://www.supreme90dayworkout.com/

This appears to be very similar to P90X and the Insanity workout, but at a "fraction" of the cost.

O43
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:50 pm

Love this.
NoelFigart wrote:Except from Screw Skinny, Get Fit (a book I'm doing on getting fit for the very sedentary. My target audience are mostly geeks):

12 Week Programs and the Problem

It is possible to hit the gym with Mjollnir-like intensity and get great results. Eat clean, exercise with weights and cardio 45 minutes a day six times a week, and yes, you’ll see a great dramatic change. I’ve done it myself and yeah, you’re feeling amazing by the end of it if you haven’t broken Rule One*. Oh, and you have to be fit enough at the beginning of it to take a pretty rigorous exercise schedule. If you’re at rehab levels, you’ll just hurt yourself. So for a healthy, moderately fit person, these 12 week programs are a godsend, right?

Get real. Are you going to dedicate 45 minutes a day to this for the rest of your life? Some do, and they’re the rarity. As an intellectual exercise try to think of any task you perform six days a week for 45 minutes. If there is such an activity, whatever it is you do, I bet you have a pretty amazing mastery at it. Is an amazing mastery of exercise what you’re going for? If it is, go man go! Have a great time.

Okay, now that the hard cores are gone, let’s put our feet up and get realistic here. If you’re reading this, chances are you’re a geek of some sort. You really do have mastery of some cool stuff. You might even go from obsession to obsession over interesting things. That’s a good thing, mostly.

I want to caution you against making exercise one of those obsessions. I mean, if you’re going to be into 15th Century Japanese textiles and dye techniques for the next three months, okay. You’ll dive in, learn a whole bunch and then taper off. Your health isn’t going to be effected by that. Up and down fitness isn’t good for you. Save the obsessiveness for something else.

You’ll get better, more lasting, and easier long-term results if you don’t treat getting fit as a project with an end date, but more like doing the dishes or washing your underwear . You’re going to have to do dishes every day. What I’m recommending is more like the advice of cleaning as you go when you cook. It’s going to take years to get to the big, dramatic results. And who cares? This is about the rest of your life, not about next
week.

15 Minutes a Day

I wanna talk minutes spent exercising for awhile.

Let’s say you go hammer and tongs at a 12 week exercise program. You’re doing that 45 minutes a day six days a week your program requires. You actually manage to keep it up for the whole 12 weeks before you taper off and give up for about a year before you hit it again.
Then compare to someone who exercises for fifteen minutes a day five days a week. That person just isn’t getting his or her exercise in like the person doing the 12 week program, right?

Wrong! If you do the six days a week, 45 minutes a day for 12 weeks, you rack up 54 hours of exercise. That fifteen minutes a day you manage to stick to the whole year? That’s 65 hours of exercise. Can you face a fifteen minute walk or calisthenics session? Barring mobility issues (and we’ll talk about them), that’s trivial. But in the long term, you’re exercising considerably more than the off-and on hardcore.

The little things you stick to add up more and better than the big dramatic stuff you do. Barring getting heavily into a sport or activity simply because you’ve fallen in love with it, don’t go there. Small consistency works better in the long term, even if it doesn’t make a dramatic movie montage. It won’t seem impressive on the outside, and probably won’t even feel impressive to you.

The problem with the little bits approach is that you really do have to be consistent! You can get fit in fifteen minutes a day if you stick to it over years. In 12 weeks? Nope, you’re not going to notice much.
In fact, if you really do commit to this approach, I’d advise putting yourself through a series of fitness tests, writing them down, and then forgetting about them for a year. Going back after that time, you’ll notice a difference. The problem is that you won’t notice much of a difference day by day. It’s so gradual and incremental! Those tiny increments do add up, though. You’ll find that little by little things that used to be difficult aren’t any more. Better yet, you’re not hurting yourself or making yourself feel bad in the process.

* Don't be a... copulating idiot.

© 2011, Noël Lynne Figart
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Brent_Corkins

Post by Brent_Corkins » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:58 pm

Yeah I purchased it at wahlgreens for $20, 10 DVDs not a bad buy.. The workouts seem intense. Gave some a try. Very hard. Maybe be a nice change from my usual idk.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:27 pm

At the risk of alienating the women here by posting a link to a pretty provocative female exerciser, but who is freakishly strong as well as thin, so I give her her props, here is a link to a program that posts a free daily workout that a fair number of people seem to swear by. I've watched many of her videos and never paid a thing, but things may have changed.

http://www.bodyrock.tv/category/daily-workouts/

Need I say I haven't done many of them?
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Brent_Corkins

Post by Brent_Corkins » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:23 am

Yeah I am familiar with her. She is an incredibly fit person. Seems to know her stuff. the workouts are supposed to be pretty effective. Obviously if you look at her.