snapdragon's dail check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

snapdragon

snapdragon's dail check-in

Post by snapdragon » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:56 pm

Today would be day two.....well I did have seconds at dinner (taco night)
B-eggs and vegies, fruit, coffee
L-bean soup and salad
D-taco night!!! I seriousely struggled this afternoon as I was really hungry and irritable. I tried to help my 10 year old with her math and had to put it aside becuase trying to figure it out made me more irritable(they dont teach math like they used to -anyone here understand latice multiplication????)
Finally got out of myself after listening to loud music and cleaning the kitchen. If I dont eat tonight the today is a success!!!!!

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:58 pm

I misspelled daily !!!!!REALLY!!!!!

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:03 am

You could probably ask Reinhard to fix it for you.
snapdragon wrote:I misspelled daily !!!!!REALLY!!!!!
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:51 pm

Yesterday was a complete failure!!!!!
Today started off badly but am trying to turn it around.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:05 pm

I am definitely making progress with my diet. It is easy to get caught up in what I have done wrong, but if I take an honest evaluation I am doing mor right than wron. Not a terrible weekend, I am trying to stick to the three meals part of no s to form the habit and I mostly did that. I try toplan one super deliciouse yummy desert per weekend and otherwise stic to the rest of the nos rules. This week I am aiming for a "vanilla week"

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:07 pm

Well yesterday took kids out to lunch and overate, otherwise stuck to no"s"
Today sofar so good despite the giant marshmallow I popped into my mouth. Still there is progress.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:33 pm

yesterday was a total failure! =-(

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:31 pm

Even though the weekends are s days my weekend was an EPIC FAILURE of gigantic proportions.
Today is going well I really enjoyed everything I ate

B-scrambled eggs with vegies and cheese
coffee
L-a hodge podge of things I really wanted: 1/4 cup part skim ricotta with a little honey drizzled on it. I slice of lightly buttered rye toast, sliced strawberrys and 1/2 sliced banana and a small green salad with homemade dressing.(yes, this fit on a 9 inch plate comfortably) I could not decide what to eat first, and felt very satisfied.

D-Tandoori chicken, coos coos with pine nuts, and a small green salad.
My kids all had seconds which was rare and so now I have to figure out lunch for tomorrow.

going to drink some mint tea and I am done for today.
Relieved to have a sane day!!!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

milliem

Post by milliem » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:02 pm

Well done on having a successful day after some days you weren't happy with :)

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:46 am

Another good day some funny stuff in the pm- I was makeing some dipping sauces to go with dinner. I just throw these things together and go by taste, so I tasted a lot, but when dinner came if I virtual plated it all it would of definitely fit.
B-lightly buttered rye toast and 1/4 cup partskim riccota drizzled with honey on the side, and some coffee.

L- green salad with garbanzo beans.

D- middle eastern Kebabs with tatziki and a tahini dipping sauce and some asparagus.
Tea. :D
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:17 pm

Another success. Some funny stuff at dinner, but all is good. Its those darn extinction bursts!!!!!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:25 pm

Wow did not realize how long since I checked in!!!!!Last week went well for me I had only on fail an it was relatively small for me.
Had a nice breakfast....
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:26 pm

Yesterday was a success!!!!
B. Egg on toast
L. Mixed whole grains wit some pesto mixed in and chickpeas quite satisfying!
D. Chicken with a creamy mushroom sauce mash, and asparagus.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:19 am

Another success today....almost lost it with the Easter candy I bought though.
B. Leftover whole grain mix with a pat of butter and coffee
L. Bean soup and a banana with peanutbutter
D. Spontaneous pizza and salad and a couple fried mushrooms.
Ate more than I would have liked but not as bad as I usually do with pizza, and it did all fit on my large dinner plate.

I had a 'cuppa' tea tonight and watched my husband gorge on chocolate.
ot fair how he can eat that way and not gain any weight!!!!!!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:48 pm

struggling today!!!!!
B whole grain mix with a pat of butter and coffees
L. 15 bean soup with two slices buttered pumpernickle toast and a wedge of laughing cow cheese with veggies.
D...will likely be bacon sammies....
I am in one of those moods when I just want to graze the day away. I know ifI can get through today itwillbe real progress.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

milliem

Post by milliem » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:10 pm

You've done really well so far, keep at it! :)

Sometimes if I have a graze-urge I get a glass of skimmed milk, or sugar-free squash, or even just water and sip at it - mostly it works to curb the snacking urge.

p.s. 15 types of bean?! I didn't know there were that many....

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:52 pm

You're doing awesome!!!! My husband has been blowing through the Easter candy.........I feel your pain!! ha.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:25 pm

I find it helps to notice how really bad most store bought candy is. What happened to milk chocolate in america? Bleh. Tastes like wax.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:31 pm

last night I failed.....I was picking at the bacon as I cooked it, and just kept picking...then I ate some Easter candy....(I had bought myself some Godiva chocolate to enjoy over the weekend) I did not completlely gorge myself....I did not even finish the bar so that is a positive It is an improvement because in the past I would of said well I messed up so I will go to town and really make an event of it. At one point I said "okay, I am done eating for tonight" and I stopped myself. Progress not perfection.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Mon May 02, 2011 5:32 pm

okay.....I hope May is a better month for me!
B scrambled eggs and coffee
L Burger and salad left over from last night
D. Will likely be pasta
Right now I have a nasty chest cold......gonna take a nap.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Thu May 05, 2011 10:40 pm

So far I am doing terrible this month all failures.....not crazy overboard ones though. I have an awful case of bronchitis so I am not at my best. I can't seem to shake it either......a sign of getting older I guess.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Mon May 30, 2011 6:07 pm

Well here I go again. Will not eat until dinner and it will be only one plate.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Tue May 31, 2011 3:40 pm

Managed not to eat until dinner and keep it to one plate they forged on junk all night 8)
So.....
B-tortilla with a fried egg and salsa, handful of cherries.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:54 pm

Yay yesterday was a success
It is important for me to lay out my food all at once, often for breakfast or lunch I might have something then add some fruit or a yogurt ect.
Even though all these foods would of fit on my plate it feels too much like my foraging habit.
B-egg on a tortilla with salsa and some cherries
L-Salami sandwich which I did not like carrots and hummus, then added some yogurt to replace the half uneaten sandwich.
D-Stuffed pepper and some veggies.
was a rough night for me but I got through it.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

SkyKitty

Post by SkyKitty » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:08 pm

I also have to make sure I have the WHOLE meal assembled in front of me before I start, then I tell myself anything else I add is seconds. The only thing is I don't count fruit. I think it's a hangover from a previous diet that I always see fruit as ok, it was classed as a 'free food' on that diet and taht's still how I see it in my head. Also I have always eaten a lot of fruit and always had a healthy immune system, I'm always the last to catch a cold/virus, if I ever do and I always think that's because I get enough natural vitamins, so I'm reluctant to stop.

Aaarrgghh before I went off on a complete ramble what I intended to say was well done with resisting while others around you were snacking.
When nothing goes right...go left.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:28 pm

yesterday was day two. felt good eating this way again was satisfied and ate things I really enjoyed

B..Egg tortilla salsa and cherries
L..Wheatberry salad with red pepper sundried tomatoes, feta, green onions, black beans, and peanuts with a balsamic vinaigrette. Done know what possessed me to add peanuts but it was delicious.
D..Bacon lettuce ant tomato sandwich on toasted french bread. It was awesome!!!!! I ate bacon and white bread without feeling guilt!!!!
Watermelon with lime juice squeezed on it (this is particularly awesome on a hot summer day).
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:53 pm

Okay just ate dinner....hopefully done eating for the day.
I did a BIG shop at Costco. So many yummy foods around make it hard not to eat. I got some Milano,s fo DH I know he's gonna go nuts tonight with them along with the ice cream sandwiches. I also bout some scrumptious madelines I can't wait to eat sanely (I hope) with a cup of tea. I also got lots of fruit like raspberries blackberries and blueberries. I want to tear into those too but I think I can hold off until tomorrow at breakfast.
Breakfast...Fried egg on toasted French bread lightly buttered and some watermelon with lime and two coffees.

lunch...Wheat berry salad and a few raspberries(picked DH up a sub sanwhich which I usually love but didn't feel like one)

Dinner....Large plate of pasta with ham, pease, carmelized onions,and parmigano Regiano.
Had a hard time stopping myself.....chewing gum......might have some tea.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

SkyKitty

Post by SkyKitty » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:54 am

Ooh I love the sound of your watermelon with lime, I usually have limes in, the next truly hot day we have I'm gonna get me a watermelon (of course I could be waiting a very long time :( )
When nothing goes right...go left.

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:20 pm

I want to eat at your house. The food sounds so good and so interesting. We eat really healthy too but you are giving me new ideas every day. Do your kids like the healthy food too? My daughter luckily was not a fussy eater.
Keep up the good work. You are forming new habits and backsliding happens to us all. Remember you can eat what you want on this diet and cheat a little on weekends. It doesn't come any better than that.
I'm baaaack.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:23 pm

kitty-It's one of my faves, I also lovecukeumbers with lime and salt and some chilling powder if I'm feeling sassy.
made myself a yummy breakfast of scrambled eggs with veggies and some Parma with a plate full of berries. totally lost my appetite half way through when I saw my 10yo DD's messy backpack and made her clean it out. There was a half eaten peanut butter sandwich in it, that wasn't eaten by her but by a MOUSE. *shudder* It was all smashed up under crumpled up papers with information I wish I had known!!!!!
of to the gym then home to sterilize.Blech
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:04 am

Day three done.

B eggs and fruit
L. Left over pasta from last night
D. Taco salad complete with doritos and home. And homemade salsa
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:37 am

Thanks for visiting my thread. Actually, your inner adult is writing this thread in the hopes of getting control over negative thinking about food. Your signature shows that too. You are on the way. Believe in yourself and take baby steps (or would it be "adult" steps? hmmmm)
I'm baaaack.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:42 pm

Busy weekend.....
Yesterday
B...oatmeal with berries and some coffee

L.....the last of the left over pasta and some chips and salsa

S..two madelines

D....steak and salad after dinner we took the kids to DQ and I had a small chocolate extreme blizzard. It was sooooo good

Later Ihad two more madelines 8) :oops:

This morning I was up and out super early to get my daughter to a race she ran The girls on the run 5k (I'm so proud!!!!!)
Did not have a chance to eat any breakfast but made a small plate of nachos when I came home

DD chose to go to Red Robin for dinner so I had a gourmet cheeseburger and fries. Did not finish it.

If I am hungry later will just have fruit or a salad.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:56 pm

Having a hard time checking in everyday. Sometimes I find it better not to log on because I end up spending so much time on here and neglecting my other more tedious duties. Will find a balance.
So far I have had five failures in June four of them were binges, getting on track quicker than before though struggling today, I really want to go and eat some junk.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:30 am

5 failures since the beginning of June means 11 successes. Congratulations on the successes!
I'm baaaack.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:47 am

Thanks....count it six since I just ate three doughnuts!!!!! For me it is improvement.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:16 pm

Yikes another failure but not a disaster.
B...scrambled eggs with asparagus and tomatoes
Raspberries and blueberries
L...Mock tuna salad on trisects a few blueberries and snap pease
D...went to California PizzaKitchen and had a vegetarian pizza with eggplant andbroccilini

ACCIDENTLT...NO REALLY I totally forgot....and had a few handfuls of Carmel corn.
I went to the zoo with the kids and resisted ice cream in the heat. I stuck with my lunch even though I did not want to. Got pizza on the way home then took my youngest daughter to get her ears pierced.
Dinner was really early today so I hope I can remember to have milk later if I get hungry.
A very fuul day!!!!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:01 am

Coming off a wild weekend...still feel queasy.

B. Egg on toast and cherries
L. Salad-spinach, arugula, chickpeas, feta, and an olive mix with homed vinaigrette.
I thought this salad would be substantial enough but was hungry again two hours later. I had a coffee was still hungry and had some milk.
D. A kind of hash with ham onions potatoes and some pease. A slice of lightly buttered oat nut toast.

My tummy really feels queasy now and almost hungry though I know I am not.
This is a good reminder of what happens when I abuse my body like this. I don't know when it will end I have been bad for a whole week now I hanging on for dear life to scrape a few days together.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:10 am

Stop long enough to ask yourself what is going on. Remember, it might not be about the food. This is a commitment of time and energy. Are you maybe committed a lot of other places right now? Is your time stretched too thin? Are you stressing about a lot of things? Sometimes, it is just good to stop stacking up failures, take a breath and ask yourself why you might be failing more than you'd like. I fail a lot when I feel like my life is out of control. I am a control freak and when a lot of things are happening I can't do anything about, I stuff food so I don't have to think about it. Might there be something like that going on for you?
I'm baaaack.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:47 pm

Pangelsue you have given me a few thing to think abou. I think you might be on to something.
Today is going better
B. Egg on toast and blueberries
L. Two slices of cheese toast and sliced veggies with a cheese wedge.
D. I have some tandoori chicken marinating in the fridge and am looking forward to it. I think I have a zucchini that I will do something with I haven't checked to see what state it's in yet.

I worked out this morning and plan on taking kids to the pool after my son wakes up from his nap.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:59 am

Another wild weekend!!!!!! Kind of annoyed with myself. I start out with the best intentions.......
I have to trust what others are saying and this will get better. Hard to see when your in it.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:26 am

Yesterday was a fail I had some nutella at lunch time, at least I managed to stop myself and move on.

Today was a success!!!!
B pancakes made with oatmeal.....no syrup was going to make eggs but this was easier since there I'd six of us. Some watermelon.

L whole wheat pasta with roasted veggies and some whole milk mozzarella. I forgot how delicious whole milk mozz is! most mozz I find in stores is part skim and good too but this was divine!!!!

D. Was really hungry and in a pinch when I remember overhearing a mom at the zoo go on and on about grilled cheese made with mozz and pesto. I didn't have any pesto and some critter has been eating ny basil so I didnthave much. I deciided to mince up some basil, sun dried tomato and a small garlic clove and added that to a mozzarella grilled cheese sammie.
It was awesome and will be there next time I am craving something slightly junky. I had that with a salad.

I am exhausted so good night all!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:39 am

Success!!!!
B one egg two whites scrambled with roasted veggies sun dried tomatoes and feta. Some watermelon and honey dew chunks......It was awesome!!!!

L. I honestly can't remember!!!!

D. Went to the beac with kids and stayed longer Than I expected. Ended up ordering a fast food burger and fries. I did not like the fries so left them and ate only half the burger. I ate that much because I was hungry and thought Well this is it for today and started eating it anyway...then thought this is stupid. if I am hungry tonight Iwill have some fruit. I actually was not hungry last night, and did not eat anything else!!!!

Feeling sad lately becuas my moms cousin has a brain tumor and her sister bowel cancer. These are my moms last living relatives.
Part of the reason this makes me sad is because my mom doesn't take care of herself and lives in a fantasy world of "one day I will......." Everything is tomorrow with her including getting important things fixed on her house
:cry: Or any kind of exercise. She is also a hoarder.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

KareBear

Post by KareBear » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:00 pm

I am so sorry to hear that snapdragon. I know how hard it is to focus on ourselves when the ones we love are hurting!! I hope things get better with your mom although I tend to be of the opinion that once people hit certain age (over 60), they are pretty set in their habits.

Hang in there. We are here to listen.
Karen

Start/Current/Goal
160/ 160 /135

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:45 am

Thank you Stubby :wink:

Yesterday was a fail. I hope I don't have a wild weekend!!!!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:25 pm

My Internet has been dodgy lately so checking in before it goes down again.

feeling really bad since not losing weight since starting this. My BMI is in the obese range and sick of the physical effects. I am going to stick to this no s since it's the sanest I have tried yet but focus on my fitness, and try to be as fit as I can be. I know I feel better and more energetic with regular rigorous exercise.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

Junebug95

Hang in there

Post by Junebug95 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:51 pm

I am right there with you Snapdragon (thanks for the post on my board!)
I don't know if you've read the "stages of No-S" post by KCCC, but that helped me with the immediate weight loss thing. It is posted on a sticky link at the top of the No-S general discussion board.
I am sticking with No-S no matter what. Like you, this is the sanest about food I have EVER been. That's worth a WHOLE lot and is a huge success for us in and of itself and it's only been 3 weeks. I'm finding my mind is the very biggest obstacle in this whole thing and I'm going to have to look at success in a new way. I am telling myself the weight loss will follow. This really IS success. If the mind and habit change is lasting, why shouldn't the weight loss follow?
I am messing around with the thought of S-day mods because that is where my biggest struggle is right now. Tomorrow is day 21 so I think maybe I can begin thinking about that.
Hope you have a great day today!!
"There are so many things in life we cannot do because of the fear of what Mrs. Harmon Andrews would say. ` 'Tis true, 'tis pity, and pity 'tis, 'tis true.' What delightful things we might do were it not for Mrs. Harmon Andrews!"
208.8/205.8/128?

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:43 am

not been doing good lately spiraled out of control this week.

Made bean soup this morning since my five year old has been begging for it.

B....coffee and tastes bean soup
L....bean soup
Had some birthday cake I made for my son who turned three today
:D Was the best cake I ever made....it had a marshmallow frosting, and was awesome!!!!!
D....chipoltles and am stuffed.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:13 am

Hi, snap! Really enjoying your thread. Sounds like you're doing great! Hope you have a good week - not forgetting tomorrow's an S Day! Yipee!!

On a serious note, so sorry to hear about your mom's relatives. Sending my thoughts to you and yours this evening.
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:24 pm

Sorry about the health problems in your family.

Just get through today green!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)