Task based Shovel Glove

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
hlidskjalf

Task based Shovel Glove

Post by hlidskjalf » Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:34 am

I was wondering if anyone had tinkered with the idea of setting up a variety of reps of various exercises and using that as your daily "chores." Complete the task and you are finished regardless of the timer. The task get's too eay you add more work. Using the basic program of:

Shovel:40
Churn:20
Chop:20
Flip:8
x2

I finish in 12:30 or so on average. Not really trying to be the Chuck Yeager of SG mind you. While the 14 minutes of "useless" time is an interesting concept it is better suited to the factory time clock mentality than rural labor. Metropolis vs Wicker Man. The task based usage also might blend well with scenarios. Perhaps break out the old pewter D&D d20 (I know you have then no denying!) on rolls of 1 or 20 you act out a scenario in addition to the regular days work. The Chinese used "May you Live in Interesting Times" as a curse. Things do have a habit of popping up. So on a 1 maybe use the travel scenario and 20 the defending the village. Then let fate decide how interesting your workout life may be.
Burn all, burn everything. Fire is bright and fire is clean.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:12 pm

You have a great imagination Hild!
LOL...

ps... I don't own a D&D set unfortunately, but I liked the Chinese "curse" LOL...

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Big Phil

D&D dice

Post by Big Phil » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:56 pm

I like the idea of doing a workout with dice! It is the unfamiliar exercises that really give me a workout the first couple of times. I might do something with this idea, give each number an exercise, roll the dice to get the order and reps etc. A bit like the deck of cards that I think Vanilla posted before. I have lost my 20-sided dice though!

Phil.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:06 am

I have lost my 20-sided dice though!
You are so cute Phil!!! LOL.. :lol:

Happy New Year!
Peace and Love,
Deb

Kevin

Dice... or cards

Post by Kevin » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:34 am

Another way to apply this - it's not so good for SG, but good for bodyweight exercise - is to use a deck of cards. Assign four exercises to the card suits (pushups, dips, squats, and curls, maybe), then pull a card, do the face value number of reps for the suit you pulled, pull another card, repeat till you finish.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:01 am

The D&D workout. Beautiful. I love the idea, and I still have my 20 sided dice (and a shocking amount of related paraphernalia), but I'm set enough in my routine that I'm probably not going to budge.

Do let me know if you wind up doing this.

As for tasks vs. time, I think once you really get a routine going they amount to pretty much the same thing. I know within a few reps how far I'm going to get doing 14 minutes of my default routine. You're right that thinking tasks vs. time is more "authentic," but time is such an obstacle/excuse for most people that it's probably more effective to approach it from that angle.

Reinhard

hlidskjalf

Post by hlidskjalf » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:09 am

Yes I've started this system as of Monday. I've just yet to hit the 1 or 20. I'm not quite using this in the same manner as the Deck of Cards type workouts. The Karl Gotch Bible being one example. I use 1 as critical failure. You have to defend the walls with this scenario:

http://www.shovelglove.com/group/71.html

A 20 would be a critical success. Harvest time. You do double farm duty with this:

http://www.shovelglove.com/group/79.html

I plan to use these in addition to my normal SG routine. So any given N-day could get you double work. But such is life..

Kevin

I understand now

Post by Kevin » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:28 pm

I had to re-read your post to fully understand it.

What do you do with numbers other than 1 or 20?

I wonder, is there a way to use this group, the die, and SG exercises to do some type of role playing game? (just kidding).
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:33 pm

My god! *how* many people on this board are Roleplayers or Ex roleplayers...?! Do I really want to know or is it all just too sad for words? :lol:

I think it's a dying hobby these days though. Most kids today play computer games like Boulders Gate instead. I think that's really unfortunate cos the computer games are nowhere near as sociable.

C.
CaroleJo

hlidskjalf

Post by hlidskjalf » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:27 pm

I do nothing with numbers other than 1 or 20 at the moment. I'm taking it slow with the restart. Most days are pure routine. I leave the breakage of this routine to chance.

The downfall of RPGs was that 90% of everyone just wanted to fight. The rest was a necessary evil to humor the DM. So this left pen-and-paper RPGs vulnerable to losing position to video games and Magic: The Gathering. Once I did get bored and start creating a pen-and-paper RPG based on wrestling. The idea was skip all the RP and rumble. It played well but ehh I got bored.