After work downfall

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Lady Lena

After work downfall

Post by Lady Lena » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:30 am

Hi,

I usually do really well for breakfast and lunch. My downfall is after work. I either eat a snack because I am so hungry and don't want to wait to cook dinner, or I eat a sweet as a treat for making it through the day at work. Does anyone have any tips for making the late afternoons and evenings successful?? I usually ge home around 5pm. I really need your help! Thanks

navin

Post by navin » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:02 am

One thing I've done is to try and do a good job of planning meals ahead. That way, for instance if I know I'm going to be really hungry and not want to take a long time making a meal, I can plan something easy, or plan something that I can make in advance then just warm up. I then save those extravagant meals for when I know I'll have the time and energy to prepare them.

Another thing is that I hardly ever keep "snacky" foods in the house at all. I might buy something specifically for the weekend but on weekdays, no rogue snacks.
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:38 pm

Hi Lady Lena,

Here are some ideas:

1) have a drink
2) start cooking
3) as Navin says, make sure really bad snacky stuff is out of the house.
4) if all else fails, have a piece of fruit. Much better than a sweet.

Let us know if anything helps or if you need more ideas,

Reinhard

Lady Lena

Post by Lady Lena » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:01 pm

Thanks both of you for your suggestions. I never thought about drinking so that is definitely something I will try. Also I think I do need to plan my meals. Sometimes its hard to do with my mind still thinking about good and bad foods.

navin

Post by navin » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:23 pm

Sometimes its hard to do with my mind still thinking about good and bad foods.
Actually, just add one word in that sentence and it will help you out tremendously...

Sometimes its hard to do with my mind still thinking about good and bad tasting foods.

Seriously, if you know your next meal is going to be something delectable, it makes it that much easier to hold out. You won't want that snack or sweet in between as badly becuase, as all of our mothers probably told us at one point or anthoer, it'll spoil your appetite.
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Shameless Hussey

Post by Shameless Hussey » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:25 am

And I'm going to put in another plug for drinking water. If you know you're not going to be eating for another two hours, and you really want something, water can be a pretty satisfying choice. Plus, your body needs it!

Kevin

a temporary fourth meal

Post by Kevin » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:35 pm

There were several months where I absolutely, positively could not have made it to dinner without making my family miserable. I ate a fourth "meal", most often just one piece of fruit, or one piece of bread with peanut butter. Then I took a little off my dinner plate. I didn't let this mini-meal include sweets, seconds, or let it be free-form snacking.

I don't need to do this anymore: I do just fine on three meals. But if you feel that this will keep you on plan, then do it and stay on plan. But don't let that turn into uncontrolled snacking.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Josie

Sometimes Cereal

Post by Josie » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:22 am

I have found that it is just eaisier to have a high fiber cereal with Splenda and fruit for my last meal of the day! I work an evening shift and get home around 10:30 at night. I actually am looking forward to my yummy bowl of cereal, usually with a banana and/or blueberries on my drive home. When I get thru the door, all I can act on is getting that pretty cereal bowl out and filling it up with the goods!
This may not be the right solution for you, but it sure works for me!
WORK HARD, PLAY HARDER!

piratejenny

Whiskey Sour

Post by piratejenny » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:55 pm

Not to encourage you to be an alkie or anything. But if I were you, I'd whip out the blender and fix myself a whiskey sour. Alcohol is allowed on No S. A whiskey sour is sweet, but not too sweet, not like eating candy. Also, it takes a while to haul the blender out, plug it in, retrieve the whiskey, locate the sour mix, find a glass, measure everything, add ice, etc. -- and every second that goes by is another second that the hunger craving could subside. Whiskey sours must be sipped, also, so that's more time passing during which you're not eating. I mean, I suppose you could gulp one down, but what fun would that be? Plus, you'd burn dinner.

Good luck! I know what it's like when hunger trumps sanity. We've got to be patient, and creative.
:) Jen

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:38 pm

Hi Pirate Jenny!!!
You are a really fun gal and, obviously, a party animal..
I just have to differ with your advice here, on NoS points..

Yes alcohol is allowed on NoS days, but I really think Reinhard meant a glass of wine or maybe a beer.. Regular alcohol, plus especially the sour mix, has got to be equivallent to a soda, calorically and sugar wise...

Anyway.. Don't mean to be a downer, but I think mixed drinks are, infact, considered S's... Pehaps some herbal tea would be a healthier alterative to alcohol on a regular basis, as well...
Well.. don't I sound like a stick in the mud! LOL...

A nice cup of tea and perhaps a small slice of cheese and some fruit, would probably take the edge off and then you could virtual plate that towards your dinner...

Good luck Lena,
And Pirate Jenny, remind me to come out your way next time I want to go and party!!! LOL..

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

piratejenny

Alcohol

Post by piratejenny » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:06 pm

Deb, that's a good point. Now my curiosity is piqued. I'm going to google the caloric content of alcoholic beverages....

Here is a helpful chart:

http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines ... ble_e3.htm

Groovy! My whiskey sours have even fewer calories than I thought they did! Although, calorie-wise, I'd be better off with a scotch and soda, or a dry wine. Or, naturally, with skipping it completely and having a cup of tea or a glass of water. ;)

That chart is scary. I'm never drinking an Amaretto Sour again unless it's an S day. And forget about a Mudslide. Geez Louise.

farmermarn

suggestion

Post by farmermarn » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:31 am

I have this problem as well. One solution is to eat lunch a little later if possible.
The other is to drink a glass of water, brush your teeth, and then start cooking. Suck on a REALLY strong mint if you have to as well. The minty flavor from the teeth brushing or mint will make you less tempted to snack on the food while you are cooking.

Marni

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:38 pm

Be ye comforted, guilt stricken moderate drinkers. Booze is supposedly actually very good for you in "glass ceiling" amounts.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/press/relea ... 01999.html

Also, those proverbially skinny "french women" do it.

Reinhard

JWL

Post by JWL » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:09 am

Yeah, Reinhard, but skinny french women don't have 75 pounds left to lose like I do. :wink:

Once my weight stabilizes, I'll probably allow a drink or two per day. But for now, No-S includes No Spirits for me. I'll enjoy a drink or two on my S-days. I just don't need the calories of alcohol, and I don't really miss it all that much anyway.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net