Can an obese woman do shovelglove?

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Seraphic Queen

Can an obese woman do shovelglove?

Post by Seraphic Queen » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:14 pm

I just started NoS yesterday. Having some defined exercise to do sounds good, too. I'm 51, female and am an urban ranger out of necessity. This means I have slightly more stamina than the average obese woman my age. I have about 80 pounds to lose. Before I buy a sledge hammer, do you think I can shovelglove?

JWL

Post by JWL » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:44 am

Absolutely, yes you can shovelglove.

My advice? Start with an 8lb sledge, or even a smaller one if you can find it.

Go slow, and be VERY VERY VERY gentle when you are starting. This is a very good workout and will quickly affect your body.

Having said that, I don't know what your fitness goals are. I would say walking is more important to you than shovelglove.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:28 am

Welcome, Seraphic Queen!

James gives good advice. While some of the shovelglove moves take their inspiration from traditionally macho-male work, others ("churning butter") are more traditionally female. I think it makes perfect sense for women as well as men. Try the movements out with a broom before plunking down money for a sledge. You'll get a sense as to what it feels like, some exercise benefit, and can start building the most important part -- the habit of actually doing it every day.

James is also right about the walking. Shovelglove only mimics useful activities, walking actually is useful. And safe. And pleasurable.

Take it slow and keep us posted,

Reinhard

sledge

Post by sledge » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:57 pm

Also, maybe a visit to your Dr. FIRST, before undertaking any type of program might be in order.
The aerobic effort can get pretty high, but again,,,you are in control and can either calm it down or pick it up as you feel youcan...but a physical first, especially if you feel you might have 80 to loss might be a good idea.

NoelFigart

Yes, she can

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:34 pm

I'm also considerably over my "ideal" weight. I've cleaned up my diet, and have started working out.

I wanted to do some strength training. Swimming is my exercise of choice. I work on a college campus and walk all over hell and creation, but at my weight, something that gets the heart rate up and is easy on the joints is also a Good Thing.

But even so, I do like resistence training. I came across the shovelglove idea from the Stumptuous site, had found a 10# sledgehammer the previous tenant of my new house and left and felt that it was a Sign.

On the days I don't swim, I shovelglove, and it's a lot of fun. (I listen to audiobooks and use the iPod's sleep timer to turn off after fifteen minutes. When the story stops, I'm done).

I would recommend that if you're quite overweight (as I am), that paying attention to form is cruical or you're going to hurt yourself. Keep the knees bent in a good, solid stance, keep the elbows loose and bendy -- don't JERK the movement in either way. In fact, if you have to jerk the shovelglove to move it around, you probably need a lighter one. Don't overextend at the ends of movements either, or you're going to stress your joints and HURT.