single handed movements

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
boat

single handed movements

Post by boat » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:14 am

Hi
Thanks for having this site - I have benefitted from this exercise. I was thinking about single handed training so that there is a wider range of motion - but I have a 10 lb hammer and am not strong enough to move it easily with a single hand. If I choke up most of the way, I can make some movements, but then the handle gets in the way.

So I just flipped the sledgehammer around so the head of the hammer is on the bottom, and I hold the sledgehammer right above the base - then I can move with a single hand and it simulates swordfighting! (since the shaft of the hammer is now away from the body)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:19 am

Welcome, boat, and thanks for the post.

One handed shovelglove is an interesting idea, but if you do a lot of it you'll probably want to invest in a shorter hammer (or a pair of hammers). It can work with a long hammer, as you describe, but it seems like it would make sense to use a tool that's meant to be used one handed.

Maybe I'll mess around with this a little, just as an experiment...

Reinhard

boat

1 lb hammer

Post by boat » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:57 am

you are right, I tried either a 1/2 lb or 1 lb hammer which I have and it is a bit better for one handed. Two handed is much harder, but I will use one handed for the last minute for a more "free-wheeling" freestyle

sledge

Post by sledge » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:57 pm

For one handed, what you may want to consider is just investnig in a plain handle. You can get these at Home Depot. Establish a routine or movements that you'd want to concentrate the one handed movments in and perfet them with the handle. Then, if you want more resistance, start with just tying the sweater onto the end and go from there. Again, with the long handle, you don't want to put too much weight on it as you could sprain the wrist or forearm on the onset. Be patient and get the movements down with the handle, first.
Just a thought.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:22 pm

Kevin uses a 4 lb "setting" hammer...
Whatever that is..
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

VanillaGorilla

Post by VanillaGorilla » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:14 am

The one advantage to using a regular sledgehammer one-handed is that it can be an incredible grip workout.
I like to use mine as a sort of Indian club.
Fall down seven times, get up eight.

JWL

Post by JWL » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:02 am

I used to do a one-handed move, I called it one-handed hammering.

Basically, you do the "flip the lever" move, but keep raising the hammer upward, extending your arm fully so that the hammer is perpendicular to the ground, then bring it back down again.

Hard to do with heavier sledges, I did it using an 8# sledge.

Good stuff.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

david

Post by david » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:44 pm

I do an Indian club/Persian meel sort of thing also. My 10# sledge goes in my right hand and the 12# in the left. I don't think there is a single muscle in the torso that does not get worked. A bonus is that my left side is catching up with my right in terms of strength.

--david

JWL

Post by JWL » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:03 am

oh, I also do the churn butter move one-handed.... these days with the 16# hammer.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net