First time! Shovelglove, Indian clubs, and more.

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Jibaholic

First time! Shovelglove, Indian clubs, and more.

Post by Jibaholic » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:07 pm

I'm a racquet sports guy and I've got a new habit going of waking up, giving the dog his HIIT workout (50 yard sprints with a jog recovery - AKA "fetch"), and then I do my hit workout - 30 minutes of volleys against the wall in the basement. So today I woke up at 5:40 instead of 5:55 and added shovelglove after my hitting session.

I've learned a few things about life after 40 so even though I own an 8 pound sledge, I started with an actual shovel. It was pretty easy but I can definitely see that it would be challenging with more weight. If I'm not sore then I'll use the 8 pound sledge tomorrow.

However, I was thinking a lot about my routine and ended out watching a lot of Indian Club videos on youtube. I've been trying to sort out shovel glove vs. Indian clubs.

Indian Clubs - relatively light weight clubs (there are plenty of exceptions) in balanced and symmetric movements with an emphasis on shoulder and wrist strength and mobility.

Shovelglove - relatively heavy weights in unbalanced movements with an emphasis on deep strength through the back and grip.

slothlike

Post by slothlike » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:39 am

Did you start Shovelgloving with your sledge?