Lane's Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Lane

Lane's Daily Check In

Post by Lane » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:41 am

Hi! I'm new to this board (so I hope I get this right).

After a long, frustrating, and expensive journey, I find myself here. Thanks Reinhard for your generosity -- of your time and wisdom. A few months ago I picked up a book called the "Weigh Down Diet," which has the same basic diet plan, but is more spiritual in nature. Although the plan made sense, the author's programs through the "ministry" cost over $100. You can bet that I'll be telling others about your "ministry" -- the one that makes just as much sense, but doesn't cost anything.

So, to start I'm pledging my commitment to NoS and will focus my mental and physical energies into doing something other than think about food and diet 24/7. My weight is currently 165 (goal: 130) and I will not weigh in again until after I've completed 21 successful days.

Day 1: Sat., Nov 12 (Technically an S day, but I didn't take it) SUCCESS
Day 2: Sun., Nov 13 (Ditto above) SUCCESS

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:20 pm

Hello and Welcome, BTW!

One point I'll make at this time is be careful with the 'virtuous' non-taking of the S days. There are S days for a reason and if you're not very careful you'll start to feel like you deprived yourself and get resentful, then you'll make excuses and give up.

I hope the only reason you didn't take them was because they were day 1 and day 2, but you can't swap them out later, so please take care :)

That said, have fun and I hope you find this as helpful and liberating as I have.

C.
CaroleJo

Lane

Post by Lane » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:50 am

Thanks CaroleJo -- you're right that it was just a timing thing this week. Since I'm new to NoS I had sufficiently indulged in sweets during the week and was happy just to be starting this program, even though it was on an S day. So I'm happy to report:

Day 3, Nov 14 SUCCESS.

So what has your experience been thus far? How long have you been NoS-ing?

Lane

Post by Lane » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:26 am

The greatest thing happened to me today. I was working in the yard, raking leaves, and I realized that I had not thought about dieting, or being overweight, or any fat-related subject all day -- it was about 3 o'clock. Almost a miracle! I have been struggling with weight since 2000, the year my second child (Dan the Man) was born. And it has occupied my thoughts almost constantly since then.

I call myself a "former cutie" -- never had to worry about battling my weight, just cut back on food or exercised a bit more and the weight came off. After my first child was born (Josh), I was able to get down to 135.

But I couldn't seem to recover after Dan. Not only was I a new Mom, but Dan wasn't feeling good either. I spent 2 long years with a very cranky, sickly, tired boy. He had ecsema and threw up a lot. I felt "not right." I had weird symptoms like hives that would travel -- sometimes on my calf, other times on my arm, any number of places. I taught myself not to scratch, because even scratching would actually create a patch of hives. And I was so tired all the time, and depressed -- I didn't even want to see my friends. I finally gave in and went to a doctor. I couldn't believe it when they wanted to prescribe ANTI DEPRESSANTS! Apparently that's the cure all -- but for hives? (And I thought I was crazy!) Anyway, after several years of trying to figure out what the problems were it came down to this: I had a overgrowth of candida (yeast). Not only that, but so did Dan. We both began taking probiotics every day and we're doing well (Dan's ecsema is GONE). But during the time we were unwell, I got up to 171 pounds. Yuck. Even though I feel better, I've been obsessed about losing weight and at 43 have found it almost impossible.

So today was great. Not that I have lost any weight, because I'm sure it's too early for that. But because for the first time in over 6 years, the thought of dieting and overweight and weight loss didn't consume me.

So, to end the day I can say that:

Day 4: Tues., Nov 15 was a SUCCESS!!!

Thanks guys!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:42 pm

Hi Lane :)
At my heaviest post pregnancy weight, I was always sweaty around the braline and I wound up with rashes... I figured out, on my own, that it must just be like "athletes foot" except athletes boobs! and must be fungal/yeast thing..... So I smeared some monostat on the area and kept it dry, and voila.. no more rash..
Yay..
Boy, our bodies sure do change after that kind of pregnancy and with a few added years.. It's a battle, but you were a cutie and you will be again..
Infact, I don't know you, but I say you are right now!
Hope you do well on NoS!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Lane

Post by Lane » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:24 pm

Hey Deb!

Thanks for the encouragement! It feels better to know that I'm not the only one. I've felt like a circus oddity at times. I wish these kinds of issues were better known. All my Docs thought I was a hypocondriac. And I have spent a small fortune. Oh well, onward and upward!

Have a great NoS day! :D

Lane

peetie

Post by peetie » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:34 pm

Hi Lane,
I have been NoSing since June and it has been wonderful to actually live life instead of living a diet! The fact you already have felt the weight obsessing fall away shows you are a success.

I have been all up and down the scale, and joined up here when I was heading up again, just to maintain and stop obsessing so much about dieting and above all, to find a way to not binge. This has accomplished both for all that for me, and I lost 5 lbs. without even trying.

Peetie

Lane

Post by Lane » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:18 am

Day 5: Wed., Nov 5, SUCCESS
Day 6: Thurs., Nov 6, SUCCESS

Really looking forward to the weekend! :P

Lane

Post by Lane » Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:17 am

Day 7: Fri., Nov 18 SUCCESS

Looking forward to the weekend! Hope y'all have a great one!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:31 pm

Enjoy it!!! Congrats on a great week!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

ps... Some doctors shouldn't be doctors...
I just read something on another post group about nutrition...
I was looking into taking this suppliment so wanted to read up on peoples experiences...

One of the people on the board who was frustrated by the lack of efficacy and side effects from their antidepressant, asked her psychiatrist if he knew anything about this particular suppliment..
His response to her was

"Don't waste my time talking to me about nutrition...."

Unfortunately, this is a common attitude among mainstream doctors...
If there's no prescription involved, don't bother...
Wow..
Very disheartening...
I've had my share of those kinds of doctors...
My advice is, any bozo who makes you feel like a hypochondriac, is not someone to go and get treatment from... :evil:

Lane

Post by Lane » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:46 am

Day 8: Sat., Nov 19 -- S day
Day 9: Sun., Nov 20 -- S day

Looking forward to a great week!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:16 pm

Awww what a sweet and messy face!!!
(Is there any such think as a clean kids face??? LOL...)
Very adorable!

Have a nice day Lane!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Lane

Post by Lane » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:41 am

I'd love to be able to say that the first NoS day back was a breeze, but my stomach was rumbling ALL NIGHT LONG! :( But I was able to keep from any funny stuff and just had a cup of tea with Splenda. So, although I considered huffing down the popcorn the boys were eating, I stuck with it. I hope I'm rewarded with something besides the constant starving feeling. Sometimes it feels like I'm always going to be overweight no matter what I do. :cry: Anyone got a hankie?

Day 10: Mon., Nov 21 Hard fought SUCCESS

navin

Post by navin » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:51 am

I hope I'm rewarded with something besides the constant starving feeling. Sometimes it feels like I'm always going to be overweight no matter what I do. Crying or Very sad Anyone got a hankie?
I know how you feel. For me too, this whole thing was difficult at first... but for me, and for most people here, it did get easier. The hunger may even become your friend... meals taste so much better when you're really hungry for them! And it helps motivate me to make my meals count, so they tend to be tastier. Getting the timing and portion sizes for meals down pat also helps.

Hang in there!
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:57 am

Sometimes it feels like I'm always going to be overweight no matter what I do. Anyone got a hankie?
Lane,
Here's a hug!!!!!
Believe in yourself~

Also, if you want to have some popcorn it's not an S unless you eat it inbetween your meals.. You could, technically eat popcorn and a piece of chicken or steak, or whatever, and veggies etc.... and that could be your dinner..
I used to crave that kind of thing, or some chips and salsa for dinner...
It's okay... Just don't have a humongous portion... Fill up your plate and enjoy...
Congrats on getting through the day..

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Lane

Post by Lane » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:33 am

Thanks Navin and Deb for coming to my pity party!!! I had one of those evenings where I didn't serve myself enough for dinner, and my tummy was yelling for a good 3 hours. But, since I didn't actually die, I did learn a something out of it.

What a relief to know that on this plan I'm just a meal away from satisfaction. All the other attempts I've made this year just weren't reasonable. I started the year by joining LA Weight Loss and on their program I was restricted to 1/2 cup of a vegetable. I mean really, 1/2 cup of spinich?!? I mean what if you "splurged" and ate an extra 1/2 cup? What is that -- 15 calories? (Of course they had me eating their their pricey candy bars twice a day -- maybe that's why they limit the vegi's.)

Has anyone noticed the programs on the telly that have people dressing up in fat suits? (Tyra & Entertainment Tonight) On the very same program where Vanessa Manillo was dressed as a 350 pound woman, they profiled 2 women who were anorexic and around 50 pounds. What is all this craziness?

NoS is the intelligent way to health, is it not?

Day 11: Tues., Nov. 22, SUCCESS

Thanks y'all! Sleep tight.

Lane

Post by Lane » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:51 am

Day 12: Wed., Nov 23 SUCCESS
Officially Wednesday was the beginning of our family celebration. The kids were home from school and they begged me to make their favorite cookies. I managed to bake my way through 2 kinds of cookies without any trouble.

Day 13: Thurs., Nov 24 Thanksgiving S-Day
I consider today a success because although it was a total S-day, it was one that I didn't overindulge or stuff myself.
B'fast: Coffee & 2 cookies
Lunch: Turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes & pineapple/cheese casserole -- all on one plate.
Dinner: Margueritas with friends and a slice of apple pie (now THAT's what I call dinner!)

I think I'm beginning to turn the corner that so many of you have already turned. The one where eating less is the norm and there's not as much suffering involved. I'm so glad I'm on this road. NoS is definitely on my list of what I'm most thankful for this year.

Happy Thanksgiving/Happy Thursday (to non-US residents)!

JWL

Post by JWL » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:04 am

Hi Lane,

Congrats on your No-S-itude. It seems like you are doing very well, through by far the most difficult part, which is starting!

I've been No-Sing now for about half a year. I've definitely lost weight, though I'm not sure how much because I don't know what I weighed when I started. My best guess is that I'm down about 40 (possibly 50) pounds since March. Regardless of the numbers, I'm noticeably smaller (and fitter.... also shovelgloving and doing other exercises), so No-S definitely works!

I have a few thoughts for you regarding hunger and the stomach growls.

I found it very, very valuable to fast for 48 hours on a couple of occasions. I think the biggest lesson learned was that yes, I can indeed go that long without eating. It's an exercise in willpower, think of it as hardcore training for your will. I'm not saying you should jump out and do a fast. But after having done so, it gave me great power because I could say to myself, "Self, you went 48 hours without eating. You can go the 3 hours until dinner. Quit whining, O Loud Rumbly Stomach!" :D

Secondly, there is a Jedi Mind Trick I've used many times (and written about on this forum in several places). When you feel hungry, it means your body needs energy. And if you don't eat, it means the only place your body can get that energy is from its stored fat reserves. So the hungrier you are, the more likely your body is burning fat! It's amazing how thinking this way eases the hunger pangs... almost makes you feel good about feeling hungry! Don't go overboard with this; if your stomach is really rumbling, you should have to go more than a couple-three hours until next mealtime. But it's a very useful cognitive metaprogramming tool.

Good luck, and hang in there!
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

Lane

Post by Lane » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:27 pm

Thanks Master Yod...a...Freakwitch!

I like your Jedi mind trick -- something I plan to put to good use right away! I guess it's all a matter of perspective then, right? That's something I'll put into practice immediately. :D

The 48-hour fast is got to be the difference between the master and the padawan. Is it something you worked up to, or did you just jump in? Did you drink anything? More info please. I'd love to hear the details.

Padawan Lane

JWL

Post by JWL » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:48 am

Hello Lane,

The 48 hour fast is something I've done on two occasions, both before I started No-Sing. I mostly did it to prove to myself that I could; it sounds strange, but it was really I think an important step in getting my food intake under control and back within the range of "healthy."

I'm sure I'll experiment with fasting again, but I don't really feel a need to do so now. But its power lingers in my memory when it comes to appetite control. I know I can do it, because I have.

I don't really have any specific advice; my original plan was to do a 24 hour fast, but my 2nd day I didn't wake up hungry and decided to extend it for a while. If you decide to fast, then obviously keep hydrated. Fruit juice and herbal teas are good, too.

But, my advice is to not fast for now. You're doing enough by adapting to No-S. Just stick with No-S, and let your body adapt to this way of eating. Stick to the rules, don't beat yourself up if you slip, and give yourself every opportunity to succeed....
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

Lane

Post by Lane » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:27 am

Thanks, FW,

I've already begun to feel the change that all you NoS old-timers already know -- my appetite is MUCH different than what it was 2 weeks ago. It's really very exciting. I stayed up 'til 1:00 am last night and not once felt any need to eat -- didn't even want a cup of tea.

My biggest goal (besides a having a smaller behind) is to finish my 21 days with no failure days, then perhaps in a few months I'll consider a one-day fast. Just like you, so I can prove to myself I can do it.

Thanks for being a pal,
Lane

Day 14, Fri., Nov 25 SUCCESS
Day 15 Sat., Nov 26 S Day (4 small cookies with lunch)

Lane

Post by Lane » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:17 am

Day 16: Sun., Nov 27 S day -- had just one treat today, a chocolate chip cookie!

I'm on the 21-day home stretch! :!:
Last edited by Lane on Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:34 pm

Wow! You are doing great Lane!!!!
You will make it!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Lane

Post by Lane » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:12 am

Day 17: Mon., Nov 28 SUCCESS

Worked out at the gym with my buddy, Maryann, today. Did the eliptical for 30 minutes and did arms, abs & butt. Then we went to her house where she made me a WONDERFUL spinach salad with leftover duck from Thanksgiving and a latte. YUM! I'm still so grateful to be living the abundant life, with a feast 3 times a day. (OK maybe Cream of Wheat and coffee isn't technically a feast, but it sure warms me up in the morning.)

Going to try to work out 3 times a week with the hopes of seeing a new number in the tens column come January 1st. 33 more days 'til the new year. :shock:

Best to y'all!!!
Lane

JWL

Post by JWL » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:13 pm

Hi Lane, congrats and well done! You're doing great!

Isn't it amazing how No-S transforms one's relationship with food? In 17 days, you've gone from "I will focus my mental and physical energies into doing something other than think about food and diet 24/7" to "I'm so grateful to be living the abundant life, with a feast 3 times a day." (both of those quotes were originally written here, by you).

That outlook shift, in and of itself, is I think the most valuable aspect of No-S.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:18 pm

hear hear! I second Freakwitch's comments.

Lane, you rock. You're really doing great! :D

C.
CaroleJo

Lane

Post by Lane » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:29 pm

Hey FW & Carole Jo!!

So you guys are going to make me eat my words? Does that count as a snack? (hee hee) Yeah, at this stage of the game it's hard not to be giddy. It's just been such a long, hard journey before I got here -- and now? Free at last!!!

Thanks tons.

Lane

Post by Lane » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:21 am

Day 18: Tues., Nov 29 SUCCESS

Three more days 'til the 21 mark. Wow. It's going by so quickly.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:05 am

You are a NoS natural!!!!
Rock on Lanie!!!
Love,
8) Deb

Lane

Post by Lane » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:51 am

I was running around with the kids today and decided to stop at Starbuck's for treats and coffee. (My 5-year old loves a decaf mocha.) Dan ordered a chocolate chip cookie with his coffee, Josh skipped the coffee and ordered a polka dot cookie (M&Ms instead of chocolate chips). I spied the frosted pumpkin bread and the iced lemon pound cake. They looked SO good -- so I ordered one of each. The gal used tongs to pick up the pumpkin bread and slid it into a small bag. Then she reached for the lemon pound cake and it broke in half. Perplexed, she reached for a different slice, put it in a bag and then decided to put the broken slice in the bag as well, telling me that she wouldn't charge me since it was broken. I ordered a regular cup of coffee as well, paid and sat down with the boys as they began to eat their cookies.

The coffee was great. The frosted pumpkin bread and iced lemon pound cake? They are nestled in Ziploc bags, sitting in the freezer, waiting for me to enjoy them THIS WEEKEND!!!

:lol:

Day 19: Wed., Nov 30 SUCCESS

Have a great day tomorrow!
Lane

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:38 am

W000t! How about that for WILLPOWER!

Lane, you are my hero :lol:

C.
CaroleJo

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:33 am

Hey Lane!
Great job there!!!!
I used to work at Starbucks for about four months while in massage school... Within only two months or so, of part time work, I gained about eight pounds, just from eating a dessert of some sort, every time I went there for my shift.. I also felt like I was experiencing my first carb addiction in my life! LOL... I never craved sugary sweets before I started there, but once you start to have it regularly, it really does get to be a vicious cycle of cravings and hunger for more...
Wow... Glad I don't work there anymore!
Cranberry scones are great too!!!
LOL...
Love,
8) Deb
ps... Your cutie's pic makes me smile!

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:04 pm

Starbucks Maple Scones..........mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

PS. Well done on the iron will...

Lane

Post by Lane » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:10 am

Mmmm, I haven't had those. But I think Deb's got a good point. Maybe I'll just have 1/2 of one on each day. :cry:

L-

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:54 am

No no no!!! Lanie, that wasn't the point I was trying to make at all...
Don't worry about carb addiction here... Enjoy your S's completely this weekend...
I was working there five days a week...
Not only on weekends..
It was the only thing to eat there, as there's no sushi or pizza or roast beef sandwiches at Starbucks, so yeah, I got pretty addicted.. But again,,, I was there five days a week....

Please, by all means, eat the whole piece of cake with my blessing!!!
Enjoy every crumb!
LOL...
Love,
8) Deb

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:55 am

ps.. that was also pre NoS... :)

Lane

Post by Lane » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:32 am

You're so cute!

Lane

Post by Lane » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:15 am

Got hit by a snow storm this morning -- it was great, then it melted, then it got cold again. Now I'm living on the world's biggest skating pond. :wink:

At the risk of being repetitive...

Day 20: Thurs., Dec 1 SUCCESS

G'nite, sleep tight :D

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:08 am

It's a great kind of repetitive! We TOTALLY forgive you :lol:

Great stuff, Lane!

C.
CaroleJo

Lane

Post by Lane » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:41 am

Me again. It's my 21st day on NoS!!! Perhaps I should don a cap and gown as I write? Maybe a chorus of "Pomp and Circumstance?" No? Okay.

I had my 3 squares today and went to the movies for the first time in YEARS without ordering popcorn or Milk Duds. Sipped on a diet Coke. Saw the latest Harry Potter movie.

I think I'm going to hold off another week before I weigh in. That way I can weigh in the same time each month. I don't expect to lose at the same rate as Freakwitch, and I don't want to let a little thing like a scale discourage me. I feel great about being a NoS-er. I'm so happy and grateful to be living such a normal existence where the focus of my time and mental energies are spent on more important things than COUNTING (EVIL) CALORIES!!!

I'm still aiming for 159 by January 1st, but need to work out more to accomplish that.

Tomorrow: reasonable amounts of frozen treats from Starbucks and will spend the day doing home reno in a little rental house we have.

I hope you all have a great weekend. 8)

Lane

Day 21: Fri., Dec. 2 SUCCESS

JWL

Post by JWL » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:09 am

Lane, congrats on making the 21 day club! You're doing amazingly well, the hard part is behind you. Now it's just maintenance, and perhaps picking up the exercise end of things a bit.

In terms of weighing, I was on No-S for nearly half a year before I started weighing myself. The weighing isn't the important thing, the doing is. Don't ever forget that. As far as losing weight as fast as me, that will be hard for most people in terms of pounds. But if you think in terms of percentage of body weight, it becomes a bit more in line. Don't forget I probably weigh at least twice what you do, and will therefore probably lose pounds twice as fast.

Put another way (weigh, heh), try thinking in terms of total body weight percentage rather than pounds. I lost 5 pounds in 10 days, but that's about 1.5 percent of my body weight (about 330 or so). So for a 150 pound person, the same percentage would be about 2.25 pounds over that same 10 days.

But I really encourage you not to worry about scales or weight. Think about how you feel, whether you are losing inches, whether you feel stronger from exercise, how your emotional relationship with food is improving. These are all much more important than a number on a machine.

But once more, you are doing very well! Keep it up!
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

Lane

URL

Post by Lane » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:24 pm

Did you guys see this? Sounds a lot like NoS, no?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051204/ap_ ... ive_eating

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:25 pm

good article and how true! I have a book called "Thin Within" and though it is from a religious point of veiw (lots of good scriptures) it follows the same concept...only eat when you are hungry, stop when satisfied (not full, cause by the time you are "full", you have usually overeaten). anyway, it is a workable idea especially on no-s. :wink:
***GRINS***
Tricia

"When you are in a jam, a good friend will bring a loaf of bread and peanut butter..."

Lane

Post by Lane » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:09 am

I haven't read that one. Have you read "Weigh Down Workshop?" It's got a strong Bible-based message. Although it started me on this road, I like the simplicity of NoS. The other thing that I thought was weird about the Weigh Down book is that it never used the word "gluttony." I would think that if you're going to use the Bible as a guide "gluttony" would be part of the discussion -- even if it's just a small part.

How did you like "Thin Within?" Maybe I'll pick it up.

BTW, what do the numbers at the bottom of your signature mean?

Lane

Day 22: Sat., Dec 3 -- S Day :lol:
Day 23: Sun., Dec 4 -- S Day :)

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:08 pm

i read part of the Weigh Down Workshop, but i didn't really like it because it kind of gives the message that you will be sinning if you overeat and that God will be disappointed in you or something....i thought that was pretty incorrect in my own opinion since i know gluttony is a sin, but i know that God loves us and understands us so would want to help, not condem...anyway, i liked Thin Within because it talks about how God loves us and wants us to be healthy, but not caught up in the bondage of food "rules"...it even gives you tools to use in the book, but cautions against turning them into strict "rules". some of the "tools" it uses are Observation and Correction (you've eaten something you shouldn't have so you "observe" the whys and hows of that and then you "correct" which means you forgive youself and move on rather than turn it into a complete binge.)

also, it talks about 0-5 eating...on a scale of 0-10 (0 being completely empty and hungry and 10 being "thanksgiving" stuffed and 5 being satisfied--not hungry, not stuffed) they recommend being at a 0 before you eat and stopping when at a 5 or "satisfied". anyway it says to eat what you want, but with caution...("..all things are permissable, but not all things are benificial...") so basically it is like no-s in that you would probably only need one plate of food to feel satisfied...but of course it doesn't say to only eat three meals and no snacks or sweets... :D Just to only eat if you are hungry, not snackish...

anyway, sorry this is so long. yeah i would recommend the book for sure...i think the author is Judy Halliday..? i think they may even have a support group in boise, but not sure...would have to look on their website...

oh the numbers at the bottom of my signature just mean my start weight/current weight/goal weight....though right now my current weight is higher than my start cause i fell off the wagon.. :evil: but i'm on the right track to fixing that!

take care. :)
***GRINS***
Tricia

"When you are in a jam, a good friend will bring a loaf of bread and peanut butter..."

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:28 pm

Oh my goodness Tricia~ If that's all you gained when you "fell off the wagon" for a few months, you are doing just great!!!
I can gain that much in one or two days of crummy eating!
I bet you still had some of NoS going while you were MIA...
So, love yourself, and accept where you are now..
That's the key to our transformation..
And you are right.. God does want to help you...
Look within!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Lane

Post by Lane » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:23 am

Yesterday, Mon., Dec 5 FAILURE!!! A coffee favored Kit Kat got the best of me -- rats

Tues., Dec 6 SUCCESS (yeah!!!)

I ordered a copy of Thin Within for a couple bucks so I'll see how it compares with Weigh Down.

Hope you guys are doing well. :D

Lane

Post by Lane » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:58 am

Wed., Dec 7 SUCCESS

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:49 pm

hope you like the book! :D Oh, and i wouldn't call one candy bar a total failure, so don't be too down on yourself...you're doing terrific! :wink:
***GRINS***
Tricia

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:15 pm

Yay Lane!
Love,
8) Deb

Lane

Post by Lane » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:56 pm

Hey Everyone! Hope you're doing well.

Last week (Wed.) I decided to do a alternative detox/cleanse thing for a while. Wednesday evening and Thursday passed without incident, but for the last 3 days I've been going through that terrible flu/headache/crappy stage that you go through when the body is trying to rid itself of all the crud that's movin' on out. On the plus side my skin is clearer, my digestion is regular and it seems to be worth the effort. I also got my kids involved. Dan has had no complaints. Josh has been lethargic and headachy, but his skin is MUCH improved as well as his sleep. Since we've made some improvement, we're going to continue the course and will report the results.

As for my NoS results I am happy to say that I have indeed lost weight since starting here. Today I weigh 162.4 -- 2.5 pounds lost since starting NoS. But in keeping with Tricia's format (past/present/future) my weight stats look like this: 172/162.4/130. I've lost almost 10 pounds since I started, which was at the end of July. I'm hoping that my body will get rid of the weight faster once my liver is clear and refreshed from the detox.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and have a great NoS week! :lol:
L-

Lane

Post by Lane » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:56 am

Today was a nice & easy NoS day -- no raging appetite between meals.

Day 31 SUCCESS

8) Lane 8)

Lane

Post by Lane » Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:28 pm

Hey Everyone!

I hope your Christmas was a great one. We were at home and had a great day, but I'm always glad to see it go. It seems that the holidays take over my life from mid November to the end of December. Now I'm getting into spring cleaning mode (early) to get all the stuff put away. Once it's clear, I'm planning a new mess -- painting my home office, pink, and the main part of the house, apple green. (It's currently a soft yellow/orange.) Fun, fun!

I'm happy to report that just 4 days shy of the new year, I'm just a half a pound from my New Years goal! So I think it's do-able. One of my resolutions for 2006 is definitely going to be in the exercise category.

Hope you all are doing well and staying healthy.

Be good, be NoS! :wink:

Lane

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:51 am

Hi Lane:

Well, how cool to be 1/2 a pound from your New Year's goal. That is great.

I can relate to your comments about Christmas. It can be overwhelming for us moms. I have been trying to put a little bit away each day. (a la flylady...)

I can also tell you that I need to paint too. I got a bid to have our living room and my master bedroom and bathroom painted and it was over 2k. I thought to myself, that is ridiculous. As much as I hate painting I am going to attempt to do the bed and bathroom stuff myself. The living room I probably will have painted simply because there is a lot of repair work to do on the walls and I don't want to deal with it.

Too bad we don't live closer, we could help each other out!!!

Anyway, hope you have a great New Year too.

Glad to be No S-ing with you.

Dru

Lane

Post by Lane » Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:22 am

Thanks, Dru for the sentiment. Work is so much more fun when you share it with a bud, I wish you were closer too! BTW, I decided to go green in my office as well as the main part of the house. For Christmas my oldest gave me the the ultra cool gift of a pink pay telephone, and it will be more of of standout on a green wall -- it would disappear on a wall that's pink.

On a personal note, let me share some exciting news. My Mom, who is 71, has been ill for quite some time. Because of her illness she has been a recluse and we haven't seen each other or talked in over 8 years (even though she lives closeby). This week she's called me TWICE. I think the good Lord is, in His mercy, helping her to start getting healthy. I'm SO grateful and hopeful that she will continue to get her health back, and in doing so, I will get my Mom back. That's my prayer for the new year!

On the NOS front, I have to say that my appetite has changed dramatically since I started the detox. I've been eating less with just as much satisfaction as when I ate more. And my desire for sugar has gone WAY down. I'm hopeful that the scale will agree with me in the morning!!!

Enjoy the New Years festivities, stay safe and see you next year!

Luv, Lane

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:37 pm

Hi Lane.

That is great news about your mom. I can't imagine not talking to or seeing my mom in 8 years. Although I confess there have been times when we weren't speaking! LOL

I want to see photos of your finished room. My husband and I watched too much HGTV over the past few days and now he wants to rip apart the bathroom. Scary.

Talk to you soon.

Dru

Lane

Post by Lane » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:56 pm

Hey Dru!

I'll be happy to share photos with you. It was about nine years ago that I dipped my toe into DIY, and now? I have my own set of power tools! My husband is more of the expert in the handyman department and I'm more into the design aspect, but I've learned so much -- it's really very cool. On one of our houses we removed a deck that was falling apart and are replacing it with a 350 square foot sun room (surrounded by 8 windows and a glass door). The work can eat up your weekends, but we think it's worth it. I say, get the books, read up and go for it! You might want to save some of your money for marriage counseling though -- the first stab at DIY can "challenge" the relationship with your spouse! :twisted: Luckily, my husband and I have learned how to best work with each other as we're working on our projects, but it took a while.

I say go for it and share the results!

All my best,
Lane

Lane

Post by Lane » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:25 am

BTW: the new avatar photo is a picture of my then 2-year old pressing his nose against the patio door as he was peering inside! I think it's funny and cute, but I realize that some of you may not realize that there's a window between him and the camera!

He's really very cute!

Oh, yeah and today was a NoS success!

L-

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:18 pm

I think it's funny and cute, but I realize that some of you may not realize that there's a window between him and the camera!
Ha!!!
Don't worry Lane.. I think most people could figure that out and not assume he is a tiny "piglet nose" child! LOL...

Yes it's a very funny and cute photo!

How about one of you!???
Hee!

Have a great day :)
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:46 pm

Hi there Lane!!!
I see you took my advice and posted your photo! LOL...
Nice to see you :)
You look divinely gorgeous!!!

Is that a current photo?
You look terrific already!

Your pic is making me want my hair to grow faster :twisted:

Have a nice night!~
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Lane

Post by Lane » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:06 am

OK, the cat's out of the bag. Although my kids are much cuter, I thought I'd post a picture of myself -- but I'm sure I'll put my kids back up soon. They're the best part of me anyway.

SOOO, the forces of nature collided today, and in an interesting twist of fate, it seems that I have become the "poster child" for NoS at my health club. I'll start at the beginning...

A friend and I work out at Idaho Athletic Club every Monday and Wednesday. We finished our measly workout (as I like to call it) and noticed a banner announcing a fitness competition. Although I have no desire to actually win (too much work) I thought it would be fun to join in with the gang. My buddy and I scheduled the body composition eval for next Monday with the personal trainer, with whom I had already had a conversation about NoS. His contention is that, in order to lose weight, one MUST eat 6 small meals per day. My statements regarding how that works in real life with real people seemed to be lost on him and in his frustration, he began to call over the other personal trainers one at a time -- 5 others in all. So imagine this: Me, a chubby 43-year old mom who's main job in life is to transport small humans from here to there, surrounded by cute, tan, muscular, (did I say cute?) twenty-something personal trainers who are feverish in their attempts to convert me to the "virtues" of six meals per day. And even though I pride myself in being able to do verbal battle, most of the discussion went like this:

Yes it does
No it doesn't
Yes it does
No it doesn't

or:

Yes you will
No I won't
Yes you will
No I won't

After exhausting each other's personal verbal arsenal I was hood-winked into a competition with, of all people, my best buddy! As of next week she and I start the 10-week fitness challenge, with her eating 6 meals a day and me eating 3, with a final measurement of body fat. Apparently, the one of us with the most fat lost is the "winner."

As for me, I was trying to offer NoS as another option, one that is "kinder & gentler" to the system and being more effective IN THE LONG RUN. Again, I think those points were lost to my ever sweaty personal training friends. But I have confidence that someday, as they wave goodbye to their 30s, that they may come to recognize the real life benefits of NoS.

So, wish me luck! Maybe this will be the thing that will help move me into a higher gear. At the very least, it'll be fun!

NoS forever!!!
Lane

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:14 am

Lane!
You can win this challenge...
(but how do they know what people are eating at home.. can they be sure that people are really doing this honestly???)
So imagine this: Me, a chubby 43-year old mom who's main job in life is to transport small humans from here to there, surrounded by cute, tan, muscular, (did I say cute?) twenty-something personal trainers who are feverish in their attempts to convert me to the "virtues" of six meals per day.
LOL!!!
Sounds like me at the health club..
Except the battles over nutrition go on between myself and the nutritionist/chiro guy in a neighboring office...

It's always fun with those non-believing, "brainwashed" grazers..
LOL...

Time will teach them all that this is not a healthy way to eat..

The quality of the food is most important and the quantity, not the frequency...

Good luck girly! Hope your friendship stands the test of this challenge!!! LOL...
Stay beautiful NOS poster child!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Lane

Post by Lane » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:17 am

P.S.

I forgot to mention that one of those trainers expressed his disbelief in NoS when he quiped, "Look how well it's worked for you." Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he was calling me fat! :shock: Little did he know that I was actually fatTER a few weeks ago -- BECAUSE I WAS EATING SIX MEALS PER DAY. Perhaps I should just hide my gruesome self so as not to cause trauma to small children!!! :wink:

Love you guys!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:45 am

I forgot to mention that one of those trainers expressed his disbelief in NoS when he quiped, "Look how well it's worked for you."
All I can say, pardon my French, is,,,,

What an *asshole!*

Don't worry Lane...
You will have the last laugh there...

Don't listen to him...

Keep positive and don't be distracted by the buzzing of horseflies you meet along the way!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:46 am

Hi Lane.

Good for you for standing up to the gymmies.

I got the "six meals a day" advice just last week from my pilates instructor!!!

We No S-essies are behind you in this endeavor.

Cheers,

Dru

P.S. I like your photo. But, I knew your kid had his nose pressed up the glass. :lol:

Lane

Post by Lane » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:02 am

You guys are awesome. Thanks so much.

L-

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:21 am

Wow, what a jerk! :evil: Maybe if you have nothing to do all day but work out in a gym and admire yourself you would need six meals a day...however (speaking for myself mind you) as a SAHM who helps out in my dd's preschool three days a week, i think three meals is more than enough! I can't even imagine eating six meals a day...BARF! :P

Good for you Lane, keep up the good work and good luck with the challenge!
***GRINS***
Tricia

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:04 am

My biggest problem with the whole 6 meals a day crap is this:-

I love eating
I love food
I love cooking and preparing meals...

....BUT I have enough of a struggle deciding what the *bleep* I'm going to eat for 3 meals each day, without the added stress and fuss of preparing 6! Surely if you do it properly, you'd end up spending pretty much your WHOLE life prepping, cooking and eating food? Don't these people have better things to do with their time? I know I do! :lol:

I really can't help feeling that all this stuff about "metabolism tweaking" and so on is really missing the point. It's like going out and burning a thousand dollar bills in a big bonfire, then chastising somebody else because they threw away their pennies in the street!! Compared to just eating too darn much, it's NOT EVEN IN THE SAME LEAGUE!

You go, Lanie. Best of luck with your challenge. I'm 100% behind you.

C.
CaroleJo

Lane

Post by Lane » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:15 pm

So true! And you probably want to use your head for something more than a hatrack!

Although NoS has a lot of merit, perhaps the lesson out of this is that I should take the "pearls before swine" attitude and keep NoS to myself (especially around the muscle-bound).

Besides, it won't be long that the "establishment" will be doing a 180 and telling everyone a new story -- look at what happened to high-carb. The Leptin Diet is already out there and it's NoS. Plus everyone is on their own journey. Back to your comment several weeks ago, CarolJo, "When the student is ready, the master appears."

Thanks for the encouragement! Your support puts extra meaning into my time on the treadmill.

Lane

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:24 pm

Hey everyone! I've stolen Deb's quote without even trying! :lol:

It is very true though, all the same. Most wisdom falls on deaf ears until they are ready to hear it.

C.
CaroleJo

Lane

Post by Lane » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:02 pm

Um, sorry. You two look so much alike, I always get confused.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:00 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey Deb! Not only am I your mouthpiece, but Lane says we could be twins! :twisted:
CaroleJo

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:12 pm

Yes we be blood Sisters!!! :lol:
LOL..
Okay off to Yoga now..

See yall laters...
Hugs!
8) Deb