New move?

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
sledge

New move?

Post by sledge » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:56 pm

OK...there' nothing new under the sun, but , at least for me, I came up with another new move working out this morning.
I imagined an overhead beam, with a huge peg/spke that needed to be driven in.
So holding the sledge as if it were being held in a wood chop, but with the head up in the air, I would envision driving the peg in overhead. This was was really taxing on the forearm, but agian, I'm still a newbie.
DId 20 left/20 right...slight rest. Went into chop left/right and then right back and did 3 cycles with each cycle one afte another and each one with 20 l/20r. In total...only about 6 minutes of my workout this mroning...but a pretty intense 6 minutes w/o rest. Then went into shovel and my side moves done in sets and in total, hit 12 min, not my planned 14. May have enough in the tank for seperate nighttime workout later.

Everyone...Have a great day!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:30 pm

Nice one, Sledge. That does sound hard (in a good way). I remember how hard hammering up with a regular little hammer can be.

I'll try it out myself next week.

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:19 pm

This will tax the hell out of your shoulders, so make sure they are up to it!
(I'm sure they are! :wink: )

Overhead work is murder on the rotator cuff muscles..
So please take care :)

Peace and Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

david

Post by david » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:54 pm

Sledge,

I did this one today and it was good. I will incorporate it a few times a week. Maybe I'll call it "Sledge's overhead forearm burner!"

thanks for the idea,
David

sledge

Post by sledge » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:08 pm

Glad you're using it and liking it! :)

sledge

Post by sledge » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:48 pm

David,
What I did last night, and it but even a slightly harder 'slant' to the overhead was to do it from my knees.
Our basement has lower ceilings, and I noticed I was getting a little closer to the ceiling, so I went to my knees. Doesn't allow too much assistance from the knees, legs or hips. I found this a little more taxing.

Just thought I'd share.

david

Post by david » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:34 pm

Sledge,

Good idea--I'll give it a shot.

--David