Newbie Problems: Calling all athletes?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Echos

Newbie Problems: Calling all athletes?

Post by Echos » Sun May 17, 2015 3:09 pm

Hello! I'm considering switching over to No-S. My current dietary habits are quite similar (no non-fruit sugars, and no seconds.) I just have a few questions before deciding to commit.

One of my concerns is the lack of snacking :oops:
I'm fine with not snacking between meals, but instead of having dinner I normally have two snacks - pre and post workout. My first meal is at 7, my lunch is at 3, and my pre-workout is normally around 8. My training is normally swim-sprints or weightlifting. After working out I usually have a protein powder and fruit shake, or oatmeal with protein powder. The two combined snacks usually average to 300-400 calories.

Are there any modifications or adjustments that other active people or athletes take to address this? Thank you so much!

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon May 18, 2015 8:38 am

Hi Echos,

It sounds like what you are doing is to split your meal in half. It's totally fine to have 4 meals a day with NoS. As long as you have it from a small plate.

Part of the no-snacks is also to have no unplanned snacks.

It would be completely NoS compatible to have 4 planned meals a day: Breakfast, Lunch, pre-workout, post-workout. Just don't snack in between and make sure your pre and post workout foods are not sweets.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

Dale

Post by Dale » Mon May 18, 2015 7:40 pm

I'm not an athlete, but I do some heavy lifting, usually before lunch. If it's close to breakfast, then that's fine, but if it's getting on for lunchtime, I have something extra to eat before I go - usually less than 150 calories, but I find I struggle without it. It would still fit on a small plate with my breakfast, as I usually have quite a small breakfast.

Echos

Post by Echos » Tue May 19, 2015 11:19 am

Thanks so much!
I appreciate the clarification about unplanned snacks.

I also just went through the list of mods that was stickied (how did I not see that earlier?) and I found some really great suggestions. I was nervous about using a mod since I'm just starting out, but if without the mod it doesn't fit my lifestyle I won't stick to it.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Tue May 19, 2015 11:27 am

Yup, it has to work for you or it won't work. The key is to plan ahead and stay honest. Good luck.

Echos

Post by Echos » Wed May 20, 2015 9:59 pm

Thanks again, everyone!

I have another question (should I post another thread for this? Sorry, I feel like such a newbie here.)

According to the BMI chart, I am underweight. Previously, I was on an extreme diet, and now I'm trying to get back to structured but 'normal' eating - enter my beginner attempt at No S.

I am absolutely terrified of gaining weight and/or fat, even though I know it's for my health. I've gathered that there are a few ex yo-yo dieters here, any suggestions for coping with regaining weight?

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon May 25, 2015 12:24 am

Being terrified of gaining weight/fat even though you know you are underweight and it's for your health is not a minor problem. If you have a lot of body dissatisfaction, you may need other kinds of help.

I will say that when I started here, my main goal was sane eating. I was in the low obese range. I refused to have a weight loss goal, though I did weigh myself. I went on to lose into the normal range over a long period of time, but then tried to get lower, and it has messed me up for about a year. I've gained about five pounds after two years of maintaining. I am just aiming at moderation again. The five pounds may come off; they may not. I just can't let that be the goal. Sane eating is the goal!

It's best if you can take the focus off body size and appearance. You've got and be willing to expand your interests in life. This is not an easy road in our diet/body crazy culture. There is a tremendous amount of "agreement" with being very absorbed in this pursuit. But it does not lead to happiness for many.

No S is a great way to help because it's a reasonable way to manage food and free you up to get into the REST of your life.

We're on your side to get to eating freedom.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Echos

Post by Echos » Wed May 27, 2015 1:55 pm

Thank you so much for your response and concern, Oolala.

I know I definitely have some body image issues, which I'm working on. Focusing on my performance (athletic and academic) rather than my appearance is definitely helping, although I am willing to consider other options if I don't improve.

Sane eating is definitely my goal. It seems like No-S is no-plan nutrition plan, so I can focus more on living and less on eating.

Unfortunately, most the activities that constitute "living" for me are athletic and body-oriented, such as triathlon training and surfing, so my days seem to revolve around food and activity. It's a tricky balance.