Anyone skipping breakfast?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Panther

Anyone skipping breakfast?

Post by Panther » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:37 pm

Hello everyone!
I'm new here. I have about 50 lbs to lose,I am 27 years old. I have been so struggling to lose my weight for seven years now.I have recently come across no s , and love it. I've only been doing it for three days which I know is nothing! But I want really fast weight loss, do any of you skip breakfast, or suggest skipping breakfast for me? I'm so sad of being at this weight! Thank you

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:54 pm

I would not recommend skipping meals as a short cut. The idea of No S is to develop moderate habits that will last a lifetime - moderate, humane and sustainable.

Some posters only have two meals a day because that's all they are hungry for, but I get the feeling you would be skipping a meal even though you are hungry.

I'd suggest following No S without skipping meals, for a month or two, then see how you're feeling.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:38 am

Please, please, please avoid the mistakes of our youth! Wanting fast weight loss is one of them, though if it comes with reasonable habits, it's fine. Hating your body is another mistake, and often leads to even worse eating habits.

Try to be patient with where you are right now for awhile more. What you need to be tired of is the habit of overeating, of expecting to have highly palatable foods often, and the lack of vitality and pep that comes from that. When you concentrate on getting over the attachment to frequent, high-density food, and on cultivating real hunger and enjoyment of your food, you will likely find that you can decrease the food over time.

Trying to eat little and then figure out how to add food back in after weight loss fails 97% of the time.

Skipping breakfast is highly associated with night time bingeing.

Eat a small breakfast if you like but having something.

Stay away from mirrors and don't look at any magazines with pictures of skinny models or celebrities for awhile. Pretend you live at a time in history where the only people you see are ones in real life!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

osoniye

Re: Anyone skipping breakfast?

Post by osoniye » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:23 am

kachurka wrote:I want really fast weight loss, do any of you skip breakfast, or suggest skipping breakfast for me?
Hi kachurka, and welcome!
I am one of those people who frequently skips breakfast. This can be due to a variety of reasons, such as I'm too busy, I'm running late or don't wake up hungry, can't be bothered, etc. I do often drink coffee in the morning, usually black, often decaf as I like the psychological feeling that it is going to get me going, even if it doesn't have the caffeine in it to do so.
Having said that, I probably don't recommend it for you. As ironchef said, it sounds like you would be skipping a meal even though you are hungry. That's not a good idea. I think 2 meals per day can be enough for many people, but really, getting in 3 plates a day and not snacking, or binging on sweets is a really good way to get started on NoS. If you find you continually wake up not feeling hungry after a few months, maybe consider skipping breakfast and then assess how you feel.
What oolala said about not "expecting to have highly palatable foods often" has been a big key for me recently in seeing some weight loss. I try to have really balanced plates (1/4 protein, 1/4 starch and then pile the fruit and veggies on till the plate is full). I don't eat salty or greasy food (and lately have been avoiding sugar even on S days, but I don't recommend that for a new person- I've been around here for 5 years).
Really, I think adjusting to eating good, healthy, whole foods most of the time (not a NoS rule, but it's helpful), and going for 3 plates per N day will probably be your ticket to success, for slow, reasonable and sustainable weight loss.
I wish you the best.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

Over43

Post by Over43 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:54 pm

Breakfast: the most important meal of the day. Eggs, toast, sausage, bacon, whatever, get filled. You will forget about eating.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Panther

Post by Panther » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:04 pm

Thank you everyone for your insightful advice.