Introduction / check in

(New!) Read (or post) about people who have stuck with No-S for 10 or more months, lost 10 or more pounds, or 10 or more percent for their starting weight. Periodic updates strongly encouraged -- you can think of it as "Yearly Check In."

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

MizCorbie

Introduction / check in

Post by MizCorbie » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:20 pm

Hello all,

I have been no essing for about 3-4 weeks after having been on a low calorie diet since mid-June.

I have never been a dieter. I have always eaten what I liked and managed to keep slightly above what I consider is an okay, not ideal, weight. Before moving here I went to a wonderful gym focused on slow, steady resistance weight training that kept my back troubles at bay and made me stronger than I had ever been before.

Then I moved here two years ago. I had no gym, stayed indoors, ate whatever I wanted. Maybe I was depressed? In June, I could no longer get into most of my favorite clothes or fit into the XL clothes in stores.

And my doctor wanted to prescribe me statins for high cholesterol. I negotiated with her to wait and let me try dieting and walking first.

Counting calories plus a week of hardly eating because my s.o. was in the hospital got me down ten pounds from 178 to 168 (height 5'7").

I hate counting calories.

No S makes sense because it appeals to my way of thinking. I know full well I gained the weight because I ate too much, snacked too much, sat around. I've basically cut out not only sweets and snacks, but also most bread and cheese (my favorite foods!). And it has NOT been difficult.

I began walking on June 12 and average about 3.5 miles per day. I have also been doing light resistance band exercises for my upper body.

Today I was back at 169.5 and realized I have to stop weighing myself. :shock:

Walking has been great for me. The neighborhood isn't the greenest, but there's plenty to explore. When it's too hot I walk at night. I get out, away from my desk, think other thoughts. So far, the only problem I've had is feeling suddenly weak and shaky after about 2 miles, so maybe I will carry some dextrose tablets with me in case it's low blood sugar.

I'm glad I found No S. For me it really is simply eating the way we used to or grandma did and it is the most logical thing in the world. Although I haven't really used my S days to eat sweets, I do plan to bake a berry crumble tomorrow. If I'm going to eat sweets, then they're going to be like grandma's!!

See you in a year (probably sooner!)
M.C.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:34 pm

Hi MizCorbie, and welcome!
I trust you will find NoS to be a good way of eating to be able to enjoy your favorite foods without obsessing about eating, and to get to a weight that is best for you.
Feel free to join us over in the check in threads, and start your own, if you would like to stop by more than once a year :D, and would like to give and receive regular support as we all go through this process. http://www.everydaysystems.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=8
Hope to see you around the boards!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".