I'm back after a lo-o-o-ng time

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

I'm back after a lo-o-o-ng time

Post by Sweetness » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:21 pm

I'm back to No S after a long time. Cant remember how long, and couldn't find my old threads....The scale was edging very close to my all time high weight, so I have about 25 lbs. of extra weight. I am re-reading a book called The Beck Diet Solution. Very helpful! It's how to train your brain to think like a thin person, not a diet, but you have to choose one. So I chose No S Diet. Modifications are temporary calorie counting until I feel comfortable with portions, and plain raw veggies while preparing dinner, half of an apple in the evening if I think I want it. Today is day 1, but I have already lost 3 lbs before officially starting the diet, because I started the book about a month ago, and you work your way through 14 days of cognitive therapy exercises before you actually start your diet. I have been guesstimating my calories at each meal using BITESNAP.
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Re: I'm back after a lo-o-o-ng time

Post by Sweetness » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:01 am

Day 1:mrgreen: Day 2 :mrgreen: Day 3 S day 8)
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:52 pm

I had a great week. Planned my meals, tracked calories.Kept up with the book. Met with my diet group. Lost a pound. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8)
Patty

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:34 pm

Nice week Patty!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:17 pm

Congrats on a good first week back :D

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:02 pm

Thanks Jen and Automatedeating. My weigh in day is tomorrow. If it holds I've lost my first 5 lbs. My stomach is shrinking. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) 8) :mrgreen:
Patty

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:47 pm

I was able to use Beck's cognitive principles and No S, beginning eleven years ago this week, to get back into my late teens weight range, a normal BMI, after nearly four decades of disorder and have pretty much maintained for nine years. Except for a few times when I was aiming at other goals, I never did track my food the way she recommends. (I actually hate the emphasis on being thin and losing weight but if that works for you, mazel tov.) And I did way overdo S days for quite awhile but kept pegging away. If I had had health problems, I would have "modded" much earlier.

My main aim was to tame my binge eating. Even though I sometimes overdo it now, I know it would take a brain injury for me to go back to the disordered eating that put 40 pounds on me over those decades. No S plus fear plus Beck keep me grateful for the new perspective.

Warmest wishes!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)