Ree's check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mljs

Ree's check in

Post by mljs » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:45 am

So I am a contradiction. I just rejoined Weight Watchers but I want to do it in a No S way. Because I 'just wasn't getting it' with only No S :roll: I want to use WW as training wheels. Use WW to reinforce the N days and keep me from being an idiot on the weekend (and during the holidays). At the end of my 3 month WW subscription, I'll see if I feel confident enough to take the training wheels off.
When I've done WW before, I got tired of having to pay so much attention to food. That's why I want to eventually transition from WW to only No S. I just need a little extra help for a while.
It makes sense to me right now. Will see how it works out.
Wish me luck.

mljs

HUGE No S victory

Post by mljs » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:22 pm

Met friends for dinner last night at favorite place. I ordered my small pizza and beer. I ate half the pizza (drank all the beer ;) ) and was satisfied. Brought the rest home. Before No S, I would have eaten the rest as a bedtime snack. Last night, I said No Snacking and did not eat it. Yeah me! :D Now I can enjoy it for lunch or supper today.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:33 pm

Awesome. Stuck to habits and had a good time.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

mljs

Warning: long winded and slightly psychotic

Post by mljs » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:05 pm

So the whole weight watchers thing was not working out. So I canceled WW and will be more dedicated to NoS. WW made me crazy (as it has before. No matter what they come up with, it is not a magic pill and it is not simple. I need to remember this.)
Too much became forbidden 'forever' and then I wanted it even more. NoS = You can have that at mealtime or save that for the next Sday/S-event'.
I felt like I was obsessing over food ALL.THE.TIME. How much can I have? How many points is that? The only time I want to think that much is when I'm doing my weekly menu/grocery list.
Oh, then there's the 'I need to eat this even tho I'm full because I already counted the points for it'. NoS = I've had enough. I'm done eating.
NoS also means that if I make a mistake, I can stop, take a breath, and restart NoS that very minute or at least at the next meal. I never felt that way with WW. (at least not since doing it in the mid 70's)
I haven't gotten into habitcal yet but will be starting that too.)
Thanks for letting me vent. I am a work in progress.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:43 pm

It's been a year. Any chance you want to commit to a year in the 2017 Challenge? You don't have to decide today.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)