Is there an everyday system for insomnia?

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
IKeeptrying

Is there an everyday system for insomnia?

Post by IKeeptrying » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:22 pm

Is there an everyday system for insomnia - I wondered if I can apply an everyday system to help with my insomnia- which happens to me about 2-3 times a week and seems to be triggered when I'm upset or stressed about something - I'm upset about my mom having recently gone into a nursing home and find that when I go to see her I have a really bad night afterwards. Any ideas help gratefully received :)

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:28 pm

Hmmm...

I wake at night a lot myself. What I do (and I don't even know if it is a great idea or not) is go to sleep listening to one of my "comfort reads." You know, some not too complex book with a story you know really well and a soothing narrator. The Harry Potter series is good for this, but there are others.

I have a sleep timer on my iPod, so if I wake at night, to keep myself from ruminating on All The Problems, I'll turn the story on again for about 15 minutes to a half an hour, depending on how wide awake I am.

It has cured me of waking with nightmares, but I still wake at night a lot.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:06 am

Sorry, not that I'm aware of -- and though I'm normally a very talented sleeper, I've been through extended periods when I really could have used one.

I'm a big fan of audiobook to sleep as well (sleep timer is brilliant), and it works great under "everyday" circumstances, but if I'm sufficiently stressed it's useless.

Though that's not quite fair. Even in extremis, though it may not help me sleep, if I can concentrate on the book to some degree, it's at least better than staring at the ceiling or waking up the whole house with my futzing.

Best of luck figuring something out that works for you -- and please let us know!

Reinhard

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:23 am

Ambien...
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79