It's been awhile

(New!) Read (or post) about people who have stuck with No-S for 10 or more months, lost 10 or more pounds, or 10 or more percent for their starting weight. Periodic updates strongly encouraged -- you can think of it as "Yearly Check In."

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kal1963

It's been awhile

Post by kal1963 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:38 am

:) I have come back to No S after some time of not being consistant. I've been back on it going on 4 months now. My weight doesn't seem to have gone down yet but my habit cal kind of shows me the problem. I average 2 red days a month. I have also this last year gotten into lifting heavy. Powerlifting and such. I wonder if this can cause me to keep my weight. I don't want to do any other diet than this. I love sweets. Even though I'm pretty good about doing it only on my S days, I over due it I think. Going to try to eat better next year. Any ideas for me?

Queenie

Post by Queenie » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:24 pm

Hi Kal,

You may want to re-post this in the General Discussion forum.
https://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=3

don't know if you're young or older. Since you're lifting heavy, I'm going to guess you're probably a man.

I'm two weeks into No-S and not qualified to give No-S advice. But I do have a few non-No-S thoughts based on what you wrote.
  • Lifting builds muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat.
    Therefore eating cleaner + lifting + no weight change = fat lost + muscle gained
    If that's true, your clothes should be fitting better and you should be feeling better (more stamina, sleeping better, etc.)
    If your former eating habit would have charted as a red day every day, then 2 red days a month is a dramatic improvement
That's my two cents' worth.

Regards,
Queenie

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:13 pm

Welcome home!

Perhaps consider keeping track of your waistline rather than your weight. I doubt your lifting regime would increase that. Besides, for health markers, it is an even better one than weight. If you tend to store fat around your middle, it might take longer for loss to show up there, though. Maybe another body part should be the metric? Everyone has pockets where the extra shows up first and leaves last. It's up to you whether to choose a stubborn site or not.

The plan actually allows for two NWS days a month. But it can't defy the laws of chemistry. If we are taking in as much food energy as we expend consistently, we will maintain. MOST research shows that people lose on all the different diets simply by calorie reduction. They may THINK they're eating more calories because they get to eat either fat or a big volume of unfatty foods, for example, but it turns out that those are the exceptions.

I went through many months of plateauing. I was ok with that, as I didn't actually want to curtail my sweet-eating purposely until I got more uncomfortable with doing it than the discomfort of withdrawal. I also was more interested in reducing bingeing than in weight loss. I felt that being wild on S days was an improvement over the previous decades.

Most of my plateaus were broken after some weekends of very little sweet eating, or even not much eating because I was just responding to hunger only. This meant I would sometimes eat even less than I would on an N day, but it was my choice. It is not a rule I live by, as my hunger is so low as I age.

Recently, I've had some temporary dips after several weeks of serendipitous dips in eating. But these have been followed by some strong drives to overeat and some gain, so at this time, I"m not pushing myself to go back to the low eating weeks. But I may experiment with it later, when I feel more grounded in the habit again.

BTW, I have at times been intrigued by Brad Pilon, a promoter of IF, who feels it's easier to eat less and lift heavy to cut fat rather than try to cardio it off. I don't agree about it being easier to eat less! And I don't do any exercise consistently anyway. (I have required myself to work on that before an IF.) But his physique has continued to maintain, possibly even improve, as he gets older. It's more admired by the hoi polloi, but I don't think it's any more functional than our founder's maintenance. It sure represents a lot more sacrifice in my mind, not to mention a bit of messing with daily habit. But it's an option some here have chosen.

https://www.google.com/search?q=brad+pi ... QSGzt24%3D

But Tom Venuto is a big proponent of cardio plus lifting to build muscle and get cut.

You just have to figure what LIFESTYLE you want to live. It does seem that Brad spends less time on eating and working out!

I, too, suggest you post in the general discussion. I just happened to run across this procrastinating on filling sand bags for rainwater diversion. :roll:
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)