My No S mod for thus year. Fewer refined carbs for dinner

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

tlingit

My No S mod for thus year. Fewer refined carbs for dinner

Post by tlingit » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:48 pm

This may not apply to most, but it's interesting information. My husband saw his doc, who noted that one of his blood markers was high. This marker indicates sugar and was up since from last physical. The doc recommended that he change up his evening meals, no more refined carbs, pasta, bread, potatoes, etc. The doctor said your body just stores those evening carbs. He said carbs are fine in the early part of the day, when they get burned off. The doc is trim, and it makes sense. So, we are going to rethink dinner, more veggies, salads and whole grains.

I've faithfully done no s for over a year now, losing slowly and steadily. However, I still carry weight around the middle, and believe that might be in response to those evening carbs. I excercise and am pretty faithful, so hopefully this will help me achieve the lightness I hope for. No refined carbs during dinner will be my no s mod for this year. Wishing everyone a very good year. I don't post much but the discussions, experience and kindness here have been so helpful. Thank you!

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:08 pm

I think that's an excellent mod. :) I am trying to incorporate more veggies as the centerpiece of our meals vs. carbs/meat.

Keep up the good work.
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

Merry

Post by Merry » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:08 am

Very interesting! I'll have to see how this year goes for me but may revisit this idea.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

heatherhikes

Post by heatherhikes » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:45 pm

Hi, tlingit
I also think that this is an excellent mode, practicing it myself. As your husband's markers, so were mine similar (I guess). Months ago my doctor advised me to watch my diet because of borderline sugar markers. At the same time I have skin problems (yeast infection on skin) since last summer and therefore have had to limit my carb intake drastically. So, one of the things for me is to eat only a small (e.g. 1/3 - 1/2 cup of brown rice or a starchy root veg., etc.) portion of complex carbs and no other starchy foods at dinner as the last meal! Well, I also keep the carbs low all day..every day with maximal 2 carb portions per day.
In one year I lost so far 22 kilos, thanks to NoS and this low carb way of eating. During only-NoS eating the weight dropped very slow; after concentrating more on the low-carb regimen the weight dropped 1-2 pounds (1 pound = 500g) per week and has stayed off.

Without saying, I eat lots of fresh/steamed/cooked vegetables and salads, little low-sugar fruit...besides the regular protein/meat/dairy protions, but that's my situation. This lower carb way really helps me with my (past) sugar cravings, the blood markers, the weight loss, and my general wellbeing, which has drastically improved.

My sugar markers and most other values are in the normal range; only my cholesterol was still a little high 2 months ago, probably better by now. I will check it again in a few months. The skin problem is also much better.

This has become longer than planned, sorry.
Best wishes to all for the new year. :D
The more forgiving and compassionate you are to yourself while you learn, the better. Berating oneself has been shown to reinforce the behavior you wish to change. Ironic, no? But it's good news! We don't have to be mean to ourselves to win - oolala

xara

Post by xara » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:13 pm

Heather, how many grams of carbohydrate do you eat per day? Or if you don't know the number, an exact description of what a day's carb intake looks like for you would help me: type of food and quantity. I'm looking at this as being a problem in my diet also, and am trying to cut down. Thanks!

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:56 am

Interesting! I've had this suggested to me as well, and I may give it a try.