Tex Ark Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

TexArk

Tex Ark Check In

Post by TexArk » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:31 pm

Time to get back to the No S habit. I need to commit to checking in daily to get habits going again. I have been drifting and it is not good. I need to do this before I try something stupid to get off the excess poundage!

I need to think through my S days. Friday nights seem to be a regular event so I am considering calling Friday evening an S event and have Saturday as an S Day that is available if I want. Sunday seems to be manageable as an N Day, but if something is on schedule I can switch Friday evening for Sunday dinner. I don't want to overthink it, but I need to have my fence built...I don't do well with free range.

Day 1 begins

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:44 pm

Hi! I have been doing Friday night and Saturday too. Last weekend I did Friday 5:00 PM through Saturday. Sunday was an N day. I think that was too short of an S window for me, as I am also getting back into the No S window after a brief stint of falling back to calorie counting. I love being able to relax on a Friday evening with my family and have popcorn or something. Sunday evenings don't have that same pull for me.

The great thing about No S is that it's easy to tweak to fit our lives. I will be interested to see where you build your fence. :D I, too, don't do well with free range.

lpearlmom

Re: Tex Ark Check In

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:58 pm

TexArk wrote:Time to get back to the No S habit. I need to do this before I try something stupid to get off the excess poundage!

Good for you. We've all done the try something stupid only to gain weight and come crawling back. (For me it was intuitive eating).

As far as S days do what will work for you. I got tired of the free for all because even after a year, my s day eating was out of control. Now I have an S event from 5-10 on sat night with the option of S events on Friday or sun night if we go out to eat. I enjoy our dinners out and don't tend to overdo it so that's why I'm allowing that. I don't enjoy the snacking marathons though so trying to curb that a bit. Do try to do something consistent though. Trading S events can became a slippery slope for me so whatever I do I try to keep it as a firm rule.

Anyway wb & good luck!

Linda:)
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

anra

Re: Tex Ark Check In

Post by anra » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:01 pm

TexArk wrote: ... but I need to have my fence built...I don't do well with free range.
:lol: i love this!
simplicity is the purest form of elegance.

TexArk

Day 2

Post by TexArk » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:43 pm

Day 1 was a success.

I have returned to NoS because it is the only "plan" I can follow and keep my sanity. I will admit I lose weight better counting calories or "points", but I have difficulty keeping it up for years on end. I tend to be an all or nothing personality so when I can perfectly log and count all goes well. When I am not tracking and weighing regularly the pounds come quickly. I have been at this all my adult life...50 years of working on weight control. There is no lack of knowledge about nutrition, weight loss, the psychology of overeating, etc. and I have tried almost all regimes. Some, like intuitive eating, I actually gain on, and with others I lose, but the deprivation is so bad that the rebound after the diet causes weight gain.

At this point, I know enjoying 3 plates of good food a day with occasional treats on S days is what I need to do. If weight comes off, fine. If not, fine. The scale does not cause me any problems or anxiety. I have found, over the years, when I am not weighing, I gain. Evidently it takes awhile for my clothes to get the memo. So I am not weighing to track weight loss. I am weighing to be accountable. If I gain on NoS it will be because I am overloading my plates or because I am having out of control of S days. If I lose pounds, then that is a plus.

Holocene

Post by Holocene » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:02 pm

Keep it up :D
deep roots are not reached by the frost.

TexArk

Day 3

Post by TexArk » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:40 pm

Day 3
All is working out well. Tonight is movie night at friend's house so I will make it an S event....probably a slice of cheesecake. I will decide about Saturday as it comes around. But I know it will not be snacks or seconds. Guess what that leaves???

I have brought my Corelle divided plate out of storage. It helps me with portion control better than just visualizing the concept of serving sizes of protein, starch, and veggies (lots of veggies).

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:09 am

Enjoy your Saturday Sweets :wink:

I am interested in your mods - Friday night, Saturday S days, and counting S events. I'm keeping going as I am until I've been doing this a year before I consider any mods - but it's interesting to see how they work.
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

TexArk

Day 4

Post by TexArk » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:22 pm

Every Friday night we get together with 2 other couples to watch a movie. The other couples usually go out to eat and then come back for movie night. We join them for movie and dessert.

I had a regular NoS Day yesterday except for dessert Friday evening...big slice of plain cake and a small piece of cheesecake. Saturday is not a social day today so I am keeping it NoS except for possible popcorn snack in the evening. If I haven't needed to use Saturday as an S Day, then on Sunday I will have a dessert or waffles and syrup or have a restaurant meal that will not necessarily be portion controlled. So I guess I could say that my S days are Friday evening and either Saturday or Sunday.

I don't really consider this a modification. NoS as I understand it is for Saturday and Sunday (sometimes) to be S Days. When I first started NoS years ago, I had really out of control S Days. I looked forward and planned all week what I was going to eat, where I was going to eat, what I was going to bring home to eat, and what special dessert I was going to make. And I overdid it. Anything I accomplished all week was negated by wild S Days. I am emphasizing the SOMETIMES aspect this time around. I like the Friday night option because it fits into my lifestyle.

TexArk

S Days

Post by TexArk » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:49 pm

Friday was a normal N Day until dessert with friends Friday evening.

Saturday I also had dessert. I had more than I should have because I was fighting the "I can't have this again for a week and I need to finish it off" argument which I lost.

Sunday was a return to N Day.

I think this will work for most weekends. Next Friday evening I host a get together at my house which will include a dessert I make which shouldn't mean leftovers to call my name. I will decide about the Saturday or Sunday choice later.

TexArk

Day 6

Post by TexArk » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:05 pm

Ready to start N day.

I feel good about my S Days.....had too many slices of cheesecake though. So next round I will be sure to share more....does not work to put in freezer (microwave is too easy).

TexArk

Day 7

Post by TexArk » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:12 pm

Started Day 7 off with a nice breakfast.
No slipping last night after supper when husband brought out the cookies he had bought. And even better...I made no comment and ignored.
Will be out of the house at lunch time...need to think ahead on this one.

TexArk

Days 8 and 9

Post by TexArk » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:46 am

Wednesday was not an N Day on all fronts. I had to take an elderly couple to the doctor at noon and did not get back home until late. So...missed lunch. Had a cup of soup and a few crackers. That didn't hold me well, though. So then later I had a glass of milk and a banana which was kind of supper. Then I was at an event where all sorts of homemade sweets were served...key lime pie among them. I did not succumb, but when I got home I had toast with lots of butter. Bottom line: I didn't have 3 good plates of food at meal times. Good news: I didn't wreck the car just because I had a few scratches.

Thursday: back on track with 3 nice plates.

Haven't been able to get exercise worked into the day, but thinking maybe next week will be a more normal schedule.

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:14 am

Weekend S Days went OK but threw me off a bit. I had an event at my house on Sunday evening and the leftovers bled into Monday. Then on Monday and Tuesday I helped get an elderly couple onto plane for a move to their children out of state. Then my job was to clean out their kitchen as well as more manual labor on the house. So...I fell into their ice cream left in the freezer. Oh well. Onward and upward.

New N Day today.

TexArk

Back Again

Post by TexArk » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:59 pm

Here I am nearly a year later. My goal is to check in daily because I need the accountability. Also I will use the HabitCal again for at least 30 days.

Make it a Habit. Fast between meals. One plate at a time.

Love the unwritten 4th and 5th rules:
Resist WTH and Don't let failures become dramas.

TexArk

Day 1

Post by TexArk » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:44 am

Successfully completed day1... Even calmly passed on dessert at Bible study this evening. Filled out HabitCal and the journey continues.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:38 pm

Hooray! Well done! Now all you have to do is have successful Day 1 x 30 days :D

You know you can :wink:

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

TexArk

Day 2

Post by TexArk » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:19 am

Made it through day 2 no changes in protocol until 30 days .also will not step on scale until 30 days are completed.

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:35 pm

Day 3 in progress. I don't want to think about food, however, I need to make a plan for S days. As usual we do something on Friday evenings with friends rather than Saturday so I will have to make a decision. Right now I am thinking of one sweet on Friday evening...not sure how to handle Saturday or Sunday. Maybe have pizza one of those days and not worry about seconds. What I want to avoid is eating between meals. I would like fasting between meals to be a permanent habit.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:46 pm

TexArk wrote: What I want to avoid is eating between meals. I would like fasting between meals to be a permanent habit.
S days with desserts and seconds at meal-times, and no snacking, seem to work well - good luck!

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

TexArk

Day 4

Post by TexArk » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:26 pm

Made it through Day 3. Did not use my S dessert option. Made a few cookies for the group, but didn't eat any. I did have a bowl of chicken broth with a few homemade ground seed crackers in the middle of the afternoon and I did have a small bowl of popcorn later in the evening so an S Day. Do not have plans today so think I will wait and use Sunday as my second S event.

At this point I am keeping my goals simple. I have walked one mile each day (difficult for me because of lasting effects of foot injury).

Prodigalsun

Post by Prodigalsun » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:10 pm

Nice, TexArk, simple is best. too much complexity saps will power. Keep the decisions few, and simple and clear.
--

Starting Weight: 275
Current: 269
Goal: 190

"I shovel well, I shovel very very well."

Prodigalsun

heliz

Post by heliz » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:23 pm

Walking a mile... that's excellent! I'm still trying to get 30min. of walking in a day.
"Acting like the person I want to be"
Start: 188
Current: 180
Goal: 140

TexArk

Day 6

Post by TexArk » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:44 pm

Starting Day 6 and the first stretch of 5 N Days.

S days were simple. Friday evening popcorn in the evening. Saturday afternoon broth with a few homemade seed crackers. Sunday lunch 3 homemade small chocolate chip cookies. No exercise.

Now back to 3 plates only, no sweets, a mile walk

Biggest success: No bingeing, no seconds

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:43 pm

Success so far. Starting Day 7. My goal is to keep habitcal for these 30 days and to check in once a day. After my 30 days, I will weigh and then check in only as needed....could be several times a day, once a day, or once a week. But I am committed to NoS for one year!

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:01 pm

Day 8 off to a good start. This will be an evening where there will be sweets offered so I need to remind myself of my firm decision on no sweets. There will not be any once in a lifetime dessert presented I am sure!

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:09 pm

Excellent resolve there - stay firm 'NO SWEETS'
8)

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

TexArk

Day 9

Post by TexArk » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:37 pm

Success in avoiding the snacks and dessert table last night. Walked past and got coffee and didn't even look. A few tough times yesterday afternoon, but chewing gum, coffee, solitaire game (ha ha), internet, and reading got me to meal time.

I have no idea what I weigh, but I am waking up hungry and am hungry before each meal...not growling, but normal hunger which makes the meal enjoyable of course.

TexArk

Day 10

Post by TexArk » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:44 pm

Day 10 has begun. I made artisan bread last night and wrapped it up, but I could smell it most of the night. I am sure the receptors in brain were lit up big time.

This evening I plan on a small S event (sweet). I am taking creme brulee to friend's house so there will be none left and also I won't be alone with said item calling my name.

I am making no adjustments until the 30 days are complete. I will probably need to make my 3 plates less dense, but for now establishing habit and keeping the "SOMETIMES" in my S days, plus 5 days of walking is plenty to work on.

TexArk

Day 11

Post by TexArk » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:54 pm

My S plan to try for awhile:

1. a serving of dessert on Friday evening since there is always an occasion
2. a more calorie dense meal Saturday...as in cheesy, pasta kind of things with garlic bread
3. sometimes a Sunday S event which might include pizza or brownies
4. only 2 meals on Saturday and Sunday since they are more calorie laden
5. no snacking or seconds (popcorn snack exception on home movie night)
6. keep N day meals to lean meats, eggs and fish, high fiber, fruits, vegetables, legumes, potatoes (no creamy casseroles or pizza)

So last night was a serving of creme brule. Today the dense meal is chicken tetrazinni and maybe popcorn this evening. Nothing is scheduled for Sunday so it can be a normal N day.

TexArk

Day 12

Post by TexArk » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:59 pm

Starting Day 12
Saturday I did have a rich lunch, but supper was vegetables, rice, and tomato soup with seed crackers. I did have a small almond snack in the evening, and a small serving of dessert. Definitely a mild S Day

Sunday We will be going to the city for a symphony concert in the afternoon. Breakfast at lunch and pizza for supper maybe.

noni

Re: Day 10

Post by noni » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:51 pm

TexArk said,

"I made artisan bread last night and wrapped it up, but I could smell it most of the night. I am sure the receptors in brain were lit up big time."

I made a honey oatmeal bread, that I kept whiffing. Heavenly! But I'm giving it to my mother-in-law, so it wouldn't make a presentable gift if there's a slice out of it!
"Never go back for seconds. Get it all the first time." - Garfield

TexArk

Day 13

Post by TexArk » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:03 pm

All S Days/Weekends should go so well. I will try to remember the feeling.

Sunday was really just an N Day. I had kept the option open to have something special, but nothing tickled my fancy.

Back to a regular week of eating (less dense than weekend meals). The only problem this week is my dog walking partner has a slight muscle pull that needs rest from exercise. So it will probably be boring recumbent bike. Need to get a good book ready.

Day 13/30 No weigh in or adjustments until 30/30

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:01 pm

Congratulations on a sane weekend! Enjoy your recumbent bike and book - could be a lot worse!

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:15 pm

Funny tweet I saw:

Woman's Magazine
Page 14: You're beautiful the way you are

Page 15: How to quickly lose weight

Page 16: Cake Recipe

Now off to get a little exercise on the old (clothes rack) bike.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:34 pm

:lol: That's hilarious! And, actually, it describes pretty well the hamster-wheel that a lot of people are endlessly running around!!!!!

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

TexArk

Day 15

Post by TexArk » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:00 pm

Starting Day 15
Yesterday I had my first fail...made mini whole wheat yeast breads to take to shut ins...oops I ate one myself. Lesson...maybe only bake on weekends or better yet...mark it and move on.

Tonight will be a food event but it will involve just packaged processed stuff (not special enough for an S event) so I will just say no and drink my coffee.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:53 pm

It's a wheat/baked/carb thing.......... I'm just embarking on a low-carb dinner experiment (cutting out the bread, pasta, noodles, rice, potato).

Enjoy that coffee and stay strong!
:wink:

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

TexArk

Day 16

Post by TexArk » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:58 pm

First half of my 30 days completed and now on Day 16.

Yesterday I went back and read all my old posts from years ago. I started another thread so they are not on this thread. Oh my goodness. What I was reminded of was how many times I have lost the weight and thought, "This is it. I have it figured out." Then my body changes and life changes. I was reminded also that I cannot maintain a normal BMI without severe calorie restriction and exercise (I am 5'7" and that meant 1200 calories to maintain). I think I rebelled against that. Now my goal is just to eat 3 NoS plates a day and have light S Days. After a year of consistently doing that I should have lost enough to be closer to a non obese BMI and that may be good enough. Or I will go exploring light days, all veggie days, and other options. I won't even attempt to fast if I have to work so hard just to fast between meals!

Merry

Re: Day 16

Post by Merry » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:20 am

TexArk wrote:
Yesterday I went back and read all my old posts from years ago.
What's an easy way to find one's old posts? I've thought about trying to look mine up, but it seems like it would take a long time to find them!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:09 pm

Go to the search at the top of the site and then search for author and all posts.

TexArk

Day 18

Post by TexArk » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:01 pm

Starting Day 18

Yesterday was an S Day...my birthday...pretty big deal since it was 70th. But it was an S Day under control. Had LARGE serving of cake (no icing), but meal was one N Day plate.

Not sure how I will handle today which would be an S day. (Saturday) but it will be no snacks and no seconds...might be a dessert.

18/30

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:02 pm

Happy Belated Birthday!
'I do think the way to a full and healthy life is to adopt the sensible system of small helpings, no seconds, no snacking, and a little bit of everything. Above all, have a good time.' Julia Child

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:16 pm

HAPPY 70th BIRTHDAY!!!!
:D
glad to hear you had some cake :wink:

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:37 pm

Happy 70th! :D
No S Restart 05/22/19

TexArk

Day 19

Post by TexArk » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:02 pm

Even though this is Sunday, I am having an N Day. I celebrated birthday on Friday and Saturday, so enough already!

Skipped breakfast this morning and had a few slices of pizza for lunch. It will be time for a plate of vegetables for supper.

19/30

TexArk

Day 20

Post by TexArk » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:03 pm

I had more than enough birthday sweets on Friday and Saturday so I had an N day on Sunday:
no breakfast
3 small slices of pizza for lunch
lots of broccoli with butter and almonds and boiled egg for supper

Now I have begun Day 20 going for 5 green days in a row.

TexArk

Day 21

Post by TexArk » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:17 pm

Starting Day 21 at 3:30 in the morning. We were under tornado threats and didn't get clear until 4:30 so I ate Breakfast #1 boiled egg, buttermilk, and tortilla and went back to bed. Breakfast #2 was another egg and coffee about 9:00. Then normal lunch about 1:30. I am not counting this as a fail. It just may be one of those days where 4 meals are needed.

Exercise was nonconventional: picking up fallen tree small stuff and raking from the storm.

Supper will be vegetables and salmon patties.

TexArk

Day 22

Post by TexArk » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:55 pm

Day 22 has begun.

And now it is complete. Success.

I have "thoughts" of eating something in the afternoon, but have had success with a small glass of milk or a cup of broth. I am going to believe that little successes can snowball just like failures.

TexArk

Day 23

Post by TexArk » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:50 pm

Day 23

Mistake. I gave in and weighed this morning because I felt "light." I am at my heaviest, but I don't know what I weighed 23 days ago so I could have been much higher.

But, and this is a big but, I am not changing anything. I am committed to 30 days of vanilla NoS and I am proud that I have cut out the snacking and seconds and sweets. I may have to have another round of 30 before I make any adjustments. I know the adjustments I make will have to be in the area of fewer calories and I am just not ready for that yet. I have enough extra weight that I shouldn't have to make those adjustments quite yet. I know it is coming and shall see what my tolerance is.

The only "diet" books I am reading are the ones on the brain and it really is helpful. I would encourage anyone who is having trouble with bingeing or compulsive overeating to read in addition to the NoS book: The Hungry Brain by Guyenet, Ditching Diets by Gillian Riley, The Brain over Binge Recovery Guide by Kathryn Hansen, and The Power of Habit: Why WE do What We Do by Charles Duhigg. I consider it a success that I am focusing on this piece.

I have spent my life obsessed by food I think because I started dieting at an early age. I collect cookbooks and kitchen stuff and have followed all sorts of health plans. It has all done a number on training my brain. So now, I am diligently working on retraining it. Come on prefrontal cortex. Do your thing.

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:02 pm

Hi TexArk I just wanted to drop into your thread to say that a lot of what you write resonates with me. I also have spent a lot of my life obsessed with diets having been first put on one aged 12. It is such a relief to have found the simplicity and common sense of NoS.
I completely agree with your statement about being proud of sticking to the principles of NoS. Do not be disheartened by the scales, they are not always an accurate measure of success. And yes, I agree that committing to this for a period of time before making any adjustments is a good thing.
Good luck and hang on in there, its nearly the weekend!

Merry

Post by Merry » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:27 am

Good for you for sticking with it and focusing on habit!
Respect Moderation

TexArk

Day 24

Post by TexArk » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:21 pm

Starting Day 24.
Had to be out of house because of painting and staining, but stayed on vanilla NoS even if it was a little too carby. Will remember to up the vegetables today.

a victory: was dropping off items at thrift store and there were Weight Watcher books from way back when....older programs before points. I flipped through one book and remembered it was one of the times when I lost weight and kept it off for awhile 30 years ago or so and was feeling very positive feelings and nearly bought the book! Then I remembered all the thinking about food and what I could eat and what I couldn't eat and tracking it and had no trouble at all putting that book right back on the shelf.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:06 pm

Phew - that was a close call! Well done!

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

TexArk

Day 26

Post by TexArk » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:47 pm

It is a pleasant S Day so far. I had a sliver of pound cake and coffee for breakfast, but all else is all N so far. My No Snacking Fence is installed.

I was tempted to weigh this morning, but I told myself it didn't matter what the scales said. I will weigh after 30 days which will be Friday morning and then probably once a week after that just to monitor. I think I need another 30 days before making any significant changes even though I know I could cut back on butter, cheese, and sauces. But for now, the 3 plate habit is the goal as well as 5 days a week of mild exercise.

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:04 am

Like you, I'm working on habit first and foremost. I wish you the best on your weigh-in, though. I'm planning to weigh the first of each month. Whatever the scales say, let's keep doing what we're doing. I'm with you on cutting out some of the more dense foods starting this week, but taking baby steps. Let's do this! :)
No S Restart 05/22/19

TexArk

Day 27

Post by TexArk » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:05 pm

Here we go, Day 27. Had breakfast, but no veggies in the house, so off to the grocery store to get "no excuse" steam in bag veggies. Snow is melted and temperature is rising so walking the dog at noon.

Afternoon update: Did get the frozen veggies ready so I can have my non starchy vegetables today, but I got in a time bind for lunch. Here was my solution. I had a small handful of almonds at 11:30, then had a cup of tomato soup at 1:30, and when I got home at 2:00 I had an apple and a small piece of homemade artisan bread. I really had to be at 3 different places(houses) over the course of nearly 3 hours. My choices were to wait until late to eat lunch, stop and get fast food, or space out a normal meal. I think the only danger here would be to make the behavior a habit or to fool myself into thinking I could start with a snack and add lunch later. I know the situation and I am proud I made a sensible decision. Oh, and I walked my daughter's dog (German shepherd), in the middle of all this!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:32 pm

Had you brought the tomato soup with you?
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:24 am

I had kept the tomato soup (a new Sam's Club no preservative thing) in the car after grocery shopping because I had planned to leave it at our "downsize" house. So I heated it up at the house we are working on (moving slowly to said house).

It was strange...almonds at my house as I saw it was approaching noon, soup at the house I had to check on a couple of hours later after walking dog at my daughter's house, and then back home for apple slices and bread slice.

Husband retires in May, but we have been moving and emptying out for months! The kitchen is set up and I have moved all my baking stuff there so when if I bake sweets on the weekend I am actually out of my house where I sleep. It is a crazy transition time, but I am looking forward to less stuff and a simpler life. I taught 42 years before I retired to take care of ailing parents. My husband will be 71 and is retiring from university teaching. I hope he doesn't get bored, but I think he is ready. English teacher...lots of term papers to grade and capstone projects to direct.

TexArk

Day 28

Post by TexArk » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:12 pm

Day 28 begins

The challenge today is that I have to make banana bread for the church freezer. I wanted to wait until the weekend, but I am just going to have to tough it up and stay out of the batter. I can refrain from slicing the bread, but oh that batter. Better get some chewing gum going and a good talk with myself beforehand.

I am very aware of the phases of NoS that KCCC posted years ago. I think she is spot on. I know after my first 30 days of this restart (I like 30 better than 21) keeping N Days and not having wild S Days, I will have to make an adjustment. I am thinking the next 30 days I need concentrate on my plate being more full of vegetables and just a spoonful if desired of the dense stuff (potatoes, pasta, bread, rice etc.) Not limiting carbs per se, except by how much fits on my plate after the vegetables and protein.

And today's meals have confirmed my thinking. I wasn't hungry early at breakfast, got busy, and then it was 1:30 before I ate and I had even walked the dog. To me that means that I had more than enough food on my plates yesterday. The goal is to be slightly hungry for the next meal...not starving...or lightheaded, just ready for the next meal. I am not practicing Intuitive Eating (been there, done that!) but learning to tell what to put on my plate. I have been so afraid of not making it to the next meal that I have overdone it. So it will be a slight adjustment, mostly just upping the veggies and cutting back some on the dense stuff. No need to count calories yet. I wouldn't even be making this adjustment if I hadn't been at this NoS process for 8 years. In the early years I had a terrible time with S days and I got sidetracked with calorie counting and Paleo, lost my excess weight, but of course gained it back. It has been fairly easy to get back to the NoS boundaries this time around and I think my head is on straight concerning S Days.

I got through the banana bread baking. I did not eat the batter off the beaters or spoon and boy did I scrape that bowl to get it all into the loaf pans. I won't say I didn't lick my fingers at the end, but no big deal. And both meals have been full of veggies. I suspect I might wake up hungry in the morning, but that is as it should be.

TexArk

Day 29

Post by TexArk » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:34 pm

Day 29. One more day to complete my first 30 on this restart.

breakfast : a couple of boiled eggs and dry toast
lunch: Russian dumplings (Pelmini)...friend came to town and wanted to eat at this hole in the wall Alaskan dumpling place. a little carby but not a huge serving
supper: will need a double serving of vegetables for supper to meet my veggie goal

TexArk

Day 30

Post by TexArk » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:54 pm

Yesterday was successful. Today is Day 30 and the end of my first commitment to Vanilla NoS. I will weigh tomorrow and post my BMI, but after that I think I will do a monthly weigh in on the first of each month. I am considering just posting my BMI after each monthly weigh in. I already know I will probably need to lose 40 lbs. to get in the normal weight category and I would rather not focus on weight numbers. I also am not making any adjustments except to maintain the habits and learn to adjust the amount of my food so that I am pleasantly hungry for the next meal.

Today's challenge: I am meeting a friend in a near city and lunch will be part of the agenda. We will be going to a place known for their muffins. So..I have a decision to make. Do I make this an S event, do I take a muffin home to eat tomorrow evening when my S Day starts or just say no. Right now, I am thinking, just say no. They are good, but not a once in a lifetime opportunity!

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:05 pm

Strictly speaking?

Meeting with a friend for lunch at some place is NOT an S day kind of special occasion. And a muffin is not lunch food. If it was me, and I really wanted to have the muffin experience, I would do as you were contemplating - take it home and have it on Saturday. Friends often want us to eat cake so that they can eat cake and feel OK.

I hope that helps you decide. Have a nice plate of food for your lunch - something delicous and satisfying. Enjoy a nice coffee afterwards (if you drink coffee of course!). That's the end of your meal.

(if you were at your friend's house and she'd made something special, then it might be socially worthwhile to have a red day and eat a muffin. It's still not, in my book, an S day.)

Gosh, I'm not usually so bossy - but I've been in this situation myself, and now got it down to a fine art - I'm the one who says 'no thank you' to the cakes and desserts.

Good luck! I look forward to hearing how it goes!
:D

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:51 pm

And yes, I did let my rational brain be in control. I had a small soup and large salad, and fresh fruit in place of the muffin. My friend took hers home. I am afraid I would have eaten mine in the car!

So. now to have a very light supper and be done with it.

TexArk

First 30 Days

Post by TexArk » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:37 pm

Results of First 30 Day Challenge

BMI 32 (Did not weigh at start so do not know about weight loss)
No Sweets - 2 fails
No Seconds - 1 fail
No Snacks - success
No Wild S Days - success
Exercise Days 18/30
NO BINGES!

Will weigh and record again at first of April to start a monthly report.
Goals: Increase number of exercise days and increase vegetable servings.

noni

Post by noni » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:15 pm

Good job! No wild S days is fantastic! Keep up the good work, TexArk!

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:39 pm

TexArk wrote:And yes, I did let my rational brain be in control. I had a small soup and large salad, and fresh fruit in place of the muffin. My friend took hers home. I am afraid I would have eaten mine in the car!
BRILLIANT! WELL DONE!

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:31 am

Hey, good for you! Kudos!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:39 am

A fantastic record!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:28 pm

Weekend was sane. Friday evening and Saturday are my S Days sometimes.
Sunday is a regular N Day.

Completed first 3 days of the new cycle after first 30 Days without a hitch. I have had green veggies for at least one meal each day and am working on adding another, and walking has been done 2 of the 3 days.

Getting in the groove I hope. I love that this doesn't take mental power because I have too much going on at the moment. For Sale Sign goes up at the beginning of April so many, many trips with stuff out the door for an in town move. Downsizing.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:36 am

So simple. Put food on a plate. If you can get a couple of handfuls of veggies in on the plate, so much the better. Yes, down the line, it may get more prescribed, but this can always be the fall back position.

Oh I need to do some organizing. I swore when I moved in here in 2002 I would go through my stuff every few years and cull. I do have less than I did, but...

Keep up the good work!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:36 pm

Congrats on eating something green at least once a day! Terrific! We know it's not easy! :wink: And double congrats on getting through your 30 days and starting anew! Awesome!

Don't you enjoy getting rid of "stuff"? It's really freeing. Speaking of downsizing, our daughter and her husband built a house recently that is just over 570 sq. feet, I think. They downsized from a two story house. Now they have only what they need and also a few things they love. One of the benefits they enjoy is a tiny power bill compared to what they were used to.

I hope your home sells quickly and you enjoy your new place! Exciting!
No S Restart 05/22/19

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:21 am

I live in 498 sq. ft. Have since 2002. Been in probably 600 sq. ft .or less for most of my adult life. Gotta say I would really like another small room. I considered a tiny house for awhile because I wanted to retire so bad and thought that might be a way out, but looking into it a lot more found that people often spend only a couple of years in them. But I also can't imagine furnishing a whole house now.

Anyway, green Friday tomorrow!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:52 am

I envy your tiny house Oolala. Our house is average size, three bedroom/one bath. We've done some figuring, and at our age, it's cheaper just to stay put. But we have way more room than we need. I'd love to live in a much smaller place.
No S Restart 05/22/19

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:47 pm

Couldn't you just empty out an extra room or two and essentially close them off?

I've thought of renting out my side, too, (the bank and I own a duplex), which is actually pretty cool, with a deck and view and finding a small, 2-bedroom, but I'm not going to do it unless I find the right place. Even though there are problems where I am- freeway and airplane noise, mostly- it is strategically placed in a way that apts. without those problems aren't. I'm torn. I like the idea of quiet but not isolation! I can isolate myself very well without being remote. I'm kind of midway between more urban stuff and some open areas, too. There are some similar areas but they are more expensive.

And I like having my washer and dryer right outside my door and a close parking place. I almost decided to move into another place last fall but for those two issues. And it was even closer to a freeway and in the same flight path, but bigger, in an old, charming building.

First world problems.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:40 pm

I have watched my fair amount of HGTV and am always in shock at how small and expensive the houses are in California. My single daughter who is a university librarian bought a 1500 sq. ft. house here in Arkansas a year ago that is 3 bedroom 2 bath, with small sunroom (for dog) dining room for her music studio on one acre with privacy fence, laundry and attached garage, all wood floors built in 1992 one block outside city limits for $137,900.

She is single and fills it up. Way too many books and music type things (piano, cellos, guitars, wind instruments and on and on). But that is the problem as I see it. Whatever size house you have you tend to fill it up. Just like work expands to fill the time allotted for it.

Now my problem in selling our house is that even though it is large by my standards (3 bedrooms, 3 baths, dining room, family room, living room, etc.) it is not large enough for the buyers in this market. They want 4 bedrooms, granite countertops, large kitchens, large family rooms etc. So we shall see how it goes when it is listed April 1.

I am the last of my family and have had all the family stuff dumped on me. My mantra has been, "We are not building a presidential library," and all this stuff belonged to other's lives not mine. And I don't have the staff necessary to throw dinner parties with all the fancy stuff. So I have been pitching, donating, trying to sell, etc. for 2 years. I don't want to live my last years taking care of stuff. We need a guest bedroom and my husband needs a study so we will still be in a 3 bedroom 2 bath but smaller and on one level and very small yard to care for and not much storage. At least I am getting lots of exercise going up and down stairs and carrying boxes and loading and unloading.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:01 am

You sound so wise! Don't keep parts of other people's lives! Not a presidential library!

I do feel a little sad that I never had the life to use my mother's china and silver. It was a fantasy. I still have both but will ask my sister's offspring soon if anyone wants the china. It's all never been out of my garage. No, the silver is in my house and will stay here.

Yes, our prices are shocking. My 996 sq ft was nearly 3x the price of your daughter 's place when I bought it in 2002. I couldn't have qualified without a tenant and I couldn't qualify to buy it now even with one. But refi'd a few years ago so still owe plenty. Wish I wanted to live someplace cheaper. Spoiled!
Last edited by oolala53 on Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:39 am

The houses here have gotten larger and larger. I keep thinking that it is all going to come crashing down some day, but they seemed to make it through the financial crisis. $440,000 will get you 4 bedrooms, 3 baths, and about 4300 square feet on a large lot. I can't begin to imagine cleaning and maintaining a house that size and paying the utility bills. We do have to heat and cool year round. And to bring the post to eating....Most of these houses have gourmet kitchens with all the bells and whistles and very few are used. So many eat out several times a week and carry out meals also. They are having difficulty selling houses once they get to $300,000 though so I am hoping ours will be considered a real bargain!

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:07 pm

Oolala, We do have a couple of rooms closed off. I do use one for shovelglove. Otherwise, we don't use it.

TexArk, I understand not wanting others stuff. I have a couple pieces of furniture and a couple small mementos from my parents. The rest my sibling wanted, and I'm good with that. Things are not memories.

I don't know why so many want huge kitchens these days. I like a small, cozy kitchen.

I hope your house sells quickly.
No S Restart 05/22/19

noni

Post by noni » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:23 pm

Elizabeth50 wrote:I don't know why so many want huge kitchens these days. I like a small, cozy kitchen.
My husband, a carpenter, built these huge kitchens in the large-house craze, before everything fell apart some years ago. I got to see them. Wow! He said one of the owners told him, "I guess I have to get someone to teach me how to cook because I don't know how."

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:47 pm

LOL Noni! At least they have their big, beautiful showplace kitchen, though.
No S Restart 05/22/19

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:58 pm

I read once that Barbra Streisand was known to have said when being shown a house she might buy that she didn't have to see the kitchen because she never cooked. 8)
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:59 am

Doing well staying on 3 meal structure during the moving process. Probably too light on the vegetables, but no fast food. Did have to move a freezer so thawed out a huge turkey breast and slow cooked it. Kind of boring several days in a row but better than grabbing junk.

Getting plenty of exercise loading boxes and going up and down stairs and cleaning out closets. Trying to stay patient with husband as I empty out his junk. He really had an entire walk in closet packed wall to wall, and up to ceiling with stuff that should have been thrown out years ago. When I pulled it all out and filled up the room, he could see it and took out 2 pickup loads (from 1 closet that I didn't know was that large!) Seriously, we built the house and I didn't even know this was a walk in closet.

Internet install, etc. will take up most of tomorrow as well as realtor taking photos to post. I am sure eating out is in my future this weekend, but it will be S Days! Sleeping, bathing, and eating begins in the new house Monday. Still much to move, but house is ready to show. Can live in new spot and gradually move out more stuff. Have to get my mind ready for either scenario....fast sell and little time to get out OR a long wait of a year or two. We never can tell around here what will happen. It is a two story house and they don't seem to be in favor now. Too many out of shape people who don't want to walk up stairs. We have always thought they were just extra free exercise. Before I retired my office was up three flights of steep stairs (old press box area in gym) with no elevator. Because I was forgetful I was always having to run up between classes to get something I needed. I could always hear my students panting outside my office when they came to see me. And I had no problem with drop in visitors because it was too much work I guess. My husband's office is also on a third floor and he never takes elevator. Anyway, the stairs at home never bothered me except for now moving heavy stuff out!

Will have a scale check on April 1, but probably won't have internet service for awhile. Yikes, withdrawal problems.

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:14 pm

TexArk, I wish you a quick and easy sale. Easier when you're out of the house. I remember trying to sell our last house when we had all three kids at home, the youngest five. Trying to keep things perfect was not very pleasant.

I want to stay in two stories myself. Although I have to remind myself that I need the exercise when I get lazy about taking something upstairs. In the next house I hope to have a decent sized first floor bedroom just in case, but we plan to sleep upstairs as long as possible. I had an 87 year old patient with heart failure when I was a visiting nurse. Her doctor assured her that living in a 3rd floor walkup had been good for her.

I used to be more retentive of my things, Just In Case, but at 50 I'm realizing that many In Case scenarios have passed :) Although my frugal 21 year old wants things for her own household when she has one, so I will probably delay emptying out the attic until she's ready for some goods.

NoS is so great for times like this. Very little to keep track of!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:24 pm

Texark, I'm the one who has trouble getting rid of stuff. I"m sure you've seen those hoarding shows. What the therapists know is that the person herself has to be the one to make the decision to let things go, and she can do it with the right support. Turns out it's pretty expensive! I've paid hundreds of dollars for help with it, but it really needs to happen on a regular basis. Just about the same thing can happen with a lay person, but getting people willing to do it hasn't been easy. I offer to reciprocate to people I know could use it, but most people think it's weird. Yet it's okay if it's a family member helping out. I keep saying with all us single people and little family around, we need to entertain new possibilities in friendships.

I was trading help with one woman and I guess I was the one that crossed the line. She lives in a teeny apartment- since I've known her, she has moved twice, each time to a smaller place-, but rents THREE garages in the complex full of her stuff. You can barely walk into them. The last time she had me over, we moved one thing in and one thing out. As she was closing the door, I said could I ask her something. She said ok, and I asked, "When do you think you might ever live in a place big enough to use these things?" I know a little about her finances and it's pretty unlikely she'd be able to afford a big place someday. I guess it's possible she'd meet a partner and they'd share a big place (I guess like I keep my mother's china because it's too sad for me to think I will never have the life I thought I might to use it-but there's a ton of room in my garage!), but this stuff, well, I bet you know. She froze closing the door and I was immediately sorry I had asked. I said, 'Never mind, no big deal." She never even turned around again and it took until we were back up in her apartment before we spoke again, pretending I hadn't asked. She never brought up trading time again, and I didn't push it. Me and my big mouth!

I have one friend who trades time with me, who says he's grateful because we get so much done together, but it's still not a high priority for him, so it happens less than once a month.

I realize it's all relative. Someone could be thinking the exact same thing about my and my stuff as I was about the woman with three garages. I have another friend who lives in Minneapolis who's said she'd help, but I know she'd be wanting to make the decisions, and messed up as I am, I'm not ready for that. Yet, though it's probably a long time before I'll be gone, I hate the idea of someone else having to deal with it all, too.

I take some comfort in knowing my brother is worse than I am. He lives in a mobile home, and he still has bags and bags of stuff he's never unpacked since he moved in in 2010 after my mother's death, plus stuff he's accumulated. My sister says if he goes first, she's going to just have the whole home towed to the dump. Of course, I thought, NO, I'll go through it. Ha!

But to the point, isn't it great to see you can still stick to meals through all your moving? You haven't resorted to a little convenience yet, but that wouldn't be out of the question, no? In any case, interesting times ahead.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:58 am

Busy moving. Internet up in new place. Whoopee! Much heavy cleaning and staging of house to go on market. Too tired to cook, but sticking to NoS.

March was successful. No binges. No snacks. A couple of fails on sugar and seconds. Now April is on. I am suspecting some weight loss is from over the top exercise (lifting all those books! Schoolteachers don't move a wardrobe...just lots and lots of books)

BMI down to 31

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:17 pm

What a fantastic month! And nothing like functional exercise. No gym dues.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Merry

Post by Merry » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:42 pm

TexArk wrote:Busy moving. Internet up in new place. Whoopee! Much heavy cleaning and staging of house to go on market. Too tired to cook, but sticking to NoS.

March was successful. No binges. No snacks. A couple of fails on sugar and seconds. Now April is on. I am suspecting some weight loss is from over the top exercise (lifting all those books! Schoolteachers don't move a wardrobe...just lots and lots of books)

BMI down to 31
Sounds like a successful month--good for you!
Respect Moderation

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:58 am

Time to get back to reporting in. This has been a whirlwind few days. The realtor came and took photos on Tuesday because it was raining Monday. So the house got listed last night and two showings were today. We had to do last minute deck and yard work and I had to haul out all our financial files by myself this morning...lots of exercise again with boxes hauled from upstairs and out. Anyway, all has gone well on the NoS front until today. I didn't have a normal sit down meal and got off track with eating in between. It may have all added up to same amount, but it was not NoS. So a definite failure for snacks and seconds. But tomorrow should be better. I have moved enough of my foods and cooking to new kitchen and should be through with all the cleaning and hard labor on the house that is on the market. If it sells in a hurry, we have a world of work ahead of us though. If not, I should have time to get organized in our downsize home. Fortunately we are one block from good grocery store so I don't have to stock up.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:11 am

I think one red in the middle of all this is pretty good. It wasn't WTH, right? Next!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:21 pm

Good luck with the house showings! I hope it sells really fast. Do you like your new place?

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:53 pm

Just logging in to keep me honest and on track. Wow! The last couple of weeks have been hectic. We have moved out and have the house listed. It has shown well, but no buyers yet. But every day, it means a run by to check on things and also to pick up a few more items that we need. And then there is the yard to care for and keeping the place dusted, etc. At the same time, my husband is retiring in a couple of weeks so there is much to take care of on that front. Just the change of address stuff and getting phones, internet, TV, etc all switched over eats up my days!

But I have only had one day where I was off track and I got right back on. I have managed to keep up the walking each day. I think I have lost weight but am holding off until a beginning of the month report.

As much as I would like all to be settled and simplified, it is going to take awhile. My husband thinks we need to sell stuff on ebay. I just want it out. I am sure if I leave it up to him to sell his stuff, it won't happen, so I am going ahead and taking another load to donate this afternoon. I just don't have it in me to photo, list, answer, mail,etc. I just want it out of the way!

edited: just to be clear I am not dumping my husband's stuff out (not yet anyway), but since I am making the call on my things, I choose to give away, put in consignment, or donate to charities. I already feel better taking all of my photography stuff from 30 years ago for Goodwill to sell on ebay.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:25 pm

Going off track for only one day through all this is pretty darn good!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:01 am

Thanks oolala. The best thing about NoS is how it just works with real life. I have learned over the years that there is always going to be "the next thing" to deal with. And, of course, this is where diet plans get put on the shelf until we can focus on them. I don't know why I ever have tried other regimes after finding NoS. I think probably the desire to get the weight off in a hurry was a factor. Also, it took me a long time to get S Days under control.

I am prepared for chaos for quite awhile, but I am determined not to rent any storage unit or load the garage with boxes. The kitchen in our new house has received top priority so I am continuing to prepare most of our meals. The boundaries are in place. And internet up and going. So I am good.

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:25 pm

Hope your house sells fast, TexArk!

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:55 pm

Still hanging in there with noS. Busy, busy, busy and events continue. Husband retires in a week...retirement teas, parties, etc. House was shown a bunch the first 2 weeks and then nothing. I guess those who are in our small town who are looking have looked. Now we wait for people moving during the summer. Our population is about 24,000 but 50,000 or so in the county. We have lots of subdivisions and new builds but they are mostly first time home buyers. And we have on the other end, McMansions that are 3500-5000 square feet that only those who move in from out of state can afford. So we wait. We are in a niche that has very few available houses so I am not worried. But it is a lot of work to keep two houses clean and maintained. And of course, I am still removing the STUFF and donating, etc.

Hopefully, I can get back to daily check ins soon. HabitCal is a sad, empty place right now.

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:53 pm

TexArk wrote:Just logging in to keep me honest and on track. Wow! The last couple of weeks have been hectic. We have moved out and have the house listed. It has shown well, but no buyers yet. But every day, it means a run by to check on things and also to pick up a few more items that we need. And then there is the yard to care for and keeping the place dusted, etc. At the same time, my husband is retiring in a couple of weeks so there is much to take care of on that front. Just the change of address stuff and getting phones, internet, TV, etc all switched over eats up my days!

But I have only had one day where I was off track and I got right back on. I have managed to keep up the walking each day. I think I have lost weight but am holding off until a beginning of the month report.

As much as I would like all to be settled and simplified, it is going to take awhile. My husband thinks we need to sell stuff on ebay. I just want it out. I am sure if I leave it up to him to sell his stuff, it won't happen, so I am going ahead and taking another load to donate this afternoon. I just don't have it in me to photo, list, answer, mail,etc. I just want it out of the way!

edited: just to be clear I am not dumping my husband's stuff out (not yet anyway), but since I am making the call on my things, I choose to give away, put in consignment, or donate to charities. I already feel better taking all of my photography stuff from 30 years ago for Goodwill to sell on ebay.
Hello TexArk, congrats on your husband's(and your?) retirement. If they're are any auction houses in the area, they're great ways to dispose of unneeded "stuff". I used one to dispose of a lot of my parents' possessions when they both passed 5 months apart, plus I was caring for their house and cutting an acre of grass 50 miles from home after work. It was very little work on our part, they charged something like $15/hr to gather everything, take to their auction house and swept up house afterwards, plus of course the commission which is something like 25-30%. I also threw in some of my items at the same time. It was well worth the added cost, which was taken out of the auction total. Good luck with everything.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon May 01, 2017 7:39 pm

Thankfully, I bet the taxes aren't really high, and your costs will be recouped eventually. Hope most of the upkeep on the sale property is on the outside and it stays relatively clean inside between showings.

Enjoy those meals from your new kitchen. :wink:
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Tue May 02, 2017 12:35 pm

May 1 report:

BMI is still at 31. I think a few pounds have been shed. This is progress in the midst of chaos.

One more week and I should get some help from husband as he starts working through the to do list that only he can take care of. He will grieve each book he has to part with. So here is hoping he can find a happy home for many of them.

And yes, Oolala, compared to California taxes are low. The big fight in town this month is a millage increase to build a new city library. Of course, there is overreach...must have a coffee bar and gift shop and conference rooms, etc.

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Tue May 02, 2017 2:46 pm

Sounds like you deserve much praise and admiration for sticking with it during your move. Your poor husband. Parting with books does hurt!

I feel that about the overreach-- everything seems so big and fancy these days. I like things to be nice, but there's nothing wrong with small/simple. (Note to self when contemplating next house-- our current house did not seem too big for a family of five, but it has quite a lot of parts that need love and attention. More than makes sense now that the two young adults have moved out.)

Hoping for a quick sale and less chaos.