Everyday Systems
Home * Discussion Home
No S Diet * Shovelglove * Urban Ranger
HabitCal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterJoin! It's free and easy. 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tex Ark Check In
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> Daily Check In
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TexArk

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My reward for the day: I have been emptying files, drawers, etc. and what should I find but a folder full of 1970s Weight Watcher booklets. Yes, even maintenance. Oh my! That was back in the day when I thought I was fat because I weighed 142-150 (at 5'7"). When I started WW in the early 70s I was already at my suggested goal weight of 142 so they set my goal 10 lbs. under that. From then on I lost down to 132 and then back up again and added more each time. And to think, I wasn't even overweight when all this started!!! And yes, all of it went in the trash.
oolala53

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing.

I wonder if we could have been convinced to follow something like No S then. Doubt it. I know I went for a short time to Overeaters Anonymous back in the '80s. It was simply three "moderate" meals a day and no eating in between. I thought they were nuts. Only the fringe element was talking about no sugar then, so the OA people could have dessert at their moderate meals.

Have we talked about Anne Barone, an American who spent about a year, I think, in France as a young woman and lost 55 lbs. learning to eat and think like urban French women? She's 70 now and still dang thin.

There is no S better than Vanilla No S.

Last edited by oolala53 on Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
TexArk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick check in. The last month has been a whirlwind. Husband retired. Still moving and clearing out little by little to downsized house. We are 'settled' in house in main living areas, but daily getting rid of what doesn't fit. And we completed a construction project to add a roof to patio. Other house hasn't sold and it may take awhile. Lots of lookers with no complaints about house or price. Real estate is just not selling right now in our community. This is actually a good thing because it gives us more time to clear stuff out. Husband is just starting the process and has to empty out his office by end of summer. Have had way too many special occasions but have held on pretty well. Weight is the same, but considering the opportunities to "go off the rails" May was a survival month. I don't have much time to check in, but aim to try to do so once a day because it helps keep me honest.
oolala53

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very likely I need to tear down my garage and rebuild. There is really only about a third of the stuff that used to be in there, but I want even less in the new one. Why do I keep it? It all just sits there. What would happen if it all got washed away? I probably would not miss a thing. Ok, maybe the boogie board. I wish I had a deadline. What would your husband do about the office if the house sold? Maybe you need to collude with your agent to invent a possible buyer who backs out...

TexArk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha ha oolala...good plan
But in his self defense I have been retired for several years because of elderly parent to care for. After my dad passed, I have spent the last 2 years literally getting rid of stuff daily and moving things to this house to see what would work. He is just getting started and actually is letting loose better than I thought he would. It gets easier every time you let go of something. And he is enjoying the space not being packed to the brim in our new place. It is just funny to see each of our priorities. He would rather have books and music and electronics than clothes. I would rather have art and items from travel than clothes so I guess we can be minimalists in our wardrobe now that we don't go to work everyday. He taught at a university where they were expected to dress professionally...necktie required! He has no problem getting rid of clothes. He just hasn't done so in nearly 30 years! He has no plans to part time teach so he is gradually getting rid of all sorts of files. I held on to my teaching stuff for a year or two and then thoroughly enjoyed pitching it!

Anyway...We seem to have an estate sale/auction a week in our town. The children or nieces and nephews just let it all go and are done with it. I guess we are just in phase I.
TexArk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still moving stuff out and still showing the house regularly...no offers so far...but not much is selling here right now so don't feel rejected.

staying on 3 meals and NoS but have been cutting back on calories...the 70 yr old body just can't have very much...so have been loading up on the veggies and upping fiber and trying to enjoy feeling light (aka hungry).

weighed and have lost about 8 lbs or so since I started back on NoS the middle of February...most of this after eating low cal and lots of veggies.
oolala53

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoo, boy, on another site, just for the heck of it, I used a calorie estimator. Per the poster's recommendation, I regarded myself as sedentary. Sure, I have days with 12,000 steps, but also days with 300, so I err on the side of caution. To get the proverbial 2 lbs. a week- a young woman's game if I ever heard of one- I would have to average 400 calories a day. I guess I could go on a cruise with no meds for motion sickness, but what would happen when I returned? Probably the same thing that happened after I had mild altitude sickness (symptom: loss of appetite) while in the Andes. Massive refeeding.

May I ask what percentage of your weight 8 lbs. is? It'sokay if you'd rather not say. Or did I already ask?

TexArk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think I was about 200 lbs. when I started back on track in February, so a loss of 8 pounds would be 4%, right? I am sure things will really slow down from here on., even though this is still a loss of about 1/2 pound a week average. Ha Ha...your 400 calories a day to lose 2 pounds a week is a hoot.

When I relax, don't pay attention, and quit weighing, my weight will go right up to its highest which is about 204. It stays there and seems quite content. I have watched this for years and really to maintain at about 160 requires averaging 1200 calories daily. I realize that is a "diet" amount of food for most people. But if I really up the vegetables I can do it. I hate to share this because I don't want younger people to starve themselves, but to lose I really do have to average around 1000 calories a day. And as you can see, that is still about 1/2 pound loss a week.
oolala53

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People don't like the "diet" amounts, but I've reversed my ideas about them since reading so much about IF and its advantages. Starvation is really a misnomer. It doesn't make sense to talk about starving when there's plenty of reserves to feed from. It's just a matter of creating the conditions to nudge the body into using them.

I think it's funny that some doctors will say they worry about a patient not getting enough nutrients when intake is low. Good golly, when I was compulsively overeating, it wasn't on freggies! I was overeating but it's doubtful I was getting many real nutrients.

TexArk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha ha....Yes, I think I have plenty of reserves to pull from. I have always had the experience that I do not lose weight unless I really eat lots and lots of veggies. I do need that feeling of being full and having some time over my meal to chew for awhile, too. And it is working. I have now lost 10 pounds since eating low calorie NoS which is a little over 2 pounds a month.

I am still following the NoS plan and on S Days just splurge a little extra on fresh fruit (we have fresh strawberries, blackberries, and peaches locally).

So I am eating 4 cups of leafy greens, lots of fresh tomatoes an cucumbers and squash with a little chicken or tuna thrown in the salad. In the evening I usually fix at least 3 cups of frozen Normandy blend veggies. For this 30 day period I have been recording food and calories in my fitness pal. I think I have a good feel for it again and will drop this next month. My average calorie intake is about 1000 a day. Some days I go up to 1200 and others about 900. I am also walking my daughter's dog about 30 minutes a day.

We are showing the house several times a week and have turned down one offer that was contingent on the buyer selling her house. (also lowballed the price). Next week I have blood work done and we shall see what the numbers are. I don't think I can maintain this low a calorie intake forever but I think I will have to stay at about 1200 average to maintain and this regimen is helping me see how to do that and be satisfied.
oolala53

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's actually natural to have some periods of lower food intake even while keeping to the basic rhythm of meals. This is the perfect time of year for lighter, water-rich foods, as Barbara Rolls of Volumetrics fame, calls them. I like how they lengthen the meal, too. If I were eating the same number of mouthfuls ofdense foods for the same amount of time, hoo boy. Most overweight people eat the same amount in half the time.

How much we can stick to long term is such a mind game, though I guess small plates are supposed to help counteract being very conscious about it. I've been shopping in thrift stores for some smaller clear ones I like that I can put over my regular ones, whose color I just really like. I'm going to see if just filling the plate to the edge of the clear part works. I can't seem to make myself leave a border clear. But these days, a lot of meals are just the dense foods over a bed of greens and other veggies in a shallow soup bowl with a wide rim. It's all just jumbled together. I like them, and think I do a better job than a lot of restaurants, which is why I don't often order the meal salads out. Side salads are so puny to me, esp. for the price.

Merry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oolala53 wrote:

I think it's funny that some doctors will say they worry about a patient not getting enough nutrients when intake is low. Good golly, when I was compulsively overeating, it wasn't on freggies! I was overeating but it's doubtful I was getting many real nutrients.

Laughing Isn't that the truth?! (As a culture, we seem to really be afraid about not eating. It's interesting.)

1 year and counting!

28.5 lbs. down, 34.5 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.

"Surrender to the sensible." - Yellowtulips
"Believe conquering sweets is doable." - Oolala
TexArk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMI: 31.9 at highest (after Christmas, 2016)
Current BMI: 29

Weight: Lost 19 pounds from highest

I am not sure what my weight was at the beginning of my commitment to NoS, but the good news is that it is going down. I have been following NoS consistently since the middle of February. It took at least a month to get the habit in place and then this summer I have gone to very low calorie while there are plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits to fill up on. The calorie count is low and beginning in August I will see what I can add. I am thinking that my N Days will have to be the same, but I think I can up the calories some on S Days. The average is what I will need to adjust.

Eating plan:
NoS in place
5 fish meals a week, 3 beef meals
4 cups raw veggies daily (large salad with protein added)
limit added fats to 2T daily (some days 1 T)
oolala53

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I was down even less than that at this point in my history. I did have some looow days at times, but not to lose more.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> Daily Check In All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: