Tex Ark Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Tue May 02, 2017 10:27 pm

My reward for the day: I have been emptying files, drawers, etc. and what should I find but a folder full of 1970s Weight Watcher booklets. Yes, even maintenance. Oh my! That was back in the day when I thought I was fat because I weighed 142-150 (at 5'7"). When I started WW in the early 70s I was already at my suggested goal weight of 142 so they set my goal 10 lbs. under that. From then on I lost down to 132 and then back up again and added more each time. And to think, I wasn't even overweight when all this started!!! And yes, all of it went in the trash.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed May 03, 2017 12:27 am

Amazing.

I wonder if we could have been convinced to follow something like No S then. Doubt it. I know I went for a short time to Overeaters Anonymous back in the '80s. It was simply three "moderate" meals a day and no eating in between. I thought they were nuts. Only the fringe element was talking about no sugar then, so the OA people could have dessert at their moderate meals.

Have we talked about Anne Barone, an American who spent about a year, I think, in France as a young woman and lost 55 lbs. learning to eat and think like urban French women? She's 70 now and still dang thin.
Last edited by oolala53 on Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:39 am

Just a quick check in. The last month has been a whirlwind. Husband retired. Still moving and clearing out little by little to downsized house. We are 'settled' in house in main living areas, but daily getting rid of what doesn't fit. And we completed a construction project to add a roof to patio. Other house hasn't sold and it may take awhile. Lots of lookers with no complaints about house or price. Real estate is just not selling right now in our community. This is actually a good thing because it gives us more time to clear stuff out. Husband is just starting the process and has to empty out his office by end of summer. Have had way too many special occasions but have held on pretty well. Weight is the same, but considering the opportunities to "go off the rails" May was a survival month. I don't have much time to check in, but aim to try to do so once a day because it helps keep me honest.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:42 pm

It's very likely I need to tear down my garage and rebuild. There is really only about a third of the stuff that used to be in there, but I want even less in the new one. Why do I keep it? It all just sits there. What would happen if it all got washed away? I probably would not miss a thing. Ok, maybe the boogie board. I wish I had a deadline. What would your husband do about the office if the house sold? Maybe you need to collude with your agent to invent a possible buyer who backs out...
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:47 pm

ha ha oolala...good plan
But in his self defense I have been retired for several years because of elderly parent to care for. After my dad passed, I have spent the last 2 years literally getting rid of stuff daily and moving things to this house to see what would work. He is just getting started and actually is letting loose better than I thought he would. It gets easier every time you let go of something. And he is enjoying the space not being packed to the brim in our new place. It is just funny to see each of our priorities. He would rather have books and music and electronics than clothes. I would rather have art and items from travel than clothes so I guess we can be minimalists in our wardrobe now that we don't go to work everyday. He taught at a university where they were expected to dress professionally...necktie required! He has no problem getting rid of clothes. He just hasn't done so in nearly 30 years! He has no plans to part time teach so he is gradually getting rid of all sorts of files. I held on to my teaching stuff for a year or two and then thoroughly enjoyed pitching it!

Anyway...We seem to have an estate sale/auction a week in our town. The children or nieces and nephews just let it all go and are done with it. I guess we are just in phase I.

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:29 pm

still moving stuff out and still showing the house regularly...no offers so far...but not much is selling here right now so don't feel rejected.

staying on 3 meals and NoS but have been cutting back on calories...the 70 yr old body just can't have very much...so have been loading up on the veggies and upping fiber and trying to enjoy feeling light (aka hungry).

weighed and have lost about 8 lbs or so since I started back on NoS the middle of February...most of this after eating low cal and lots of veggies.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:35 am

Hoo, boy, on another site, just for the heck of it, I used a calorie estimator. Per the poster's recommendation, I regarded myself as sedentary. Sure, I have days with 12,000 steps, but also days with 300, so I err on the side of caution. To get the proverbial 2 lbs. a week- a young woman's game if I ever heard of one- I would have to average 400 calories a day. I guess I could go on a cruise with no meds for motion sickness, but what would happen when I returned? Probably the same thing that happened after I had mild altitude sickness (symptom: loss of appetite) while in the Andes. Massive refeeding.

May I ask what percentage of your weight 8 lbs. is? It'sokay if you'd rather not say. Or did I already ask?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:57 am

Well, I think I was about 200 lbs. when I started back on track in February, so a loss of 8 pounds would be 4%, right? I am sure things will really slow down from here on., even though this is still a loss of about 1/2 pound a week average. Ha Ha...your 400 calories a day to lose 2 pounds a week is a hoot.

When I relax, don't pay attention, and quit weighing, my weight will go right up to its highest which is about 204. It stays there and seems quite content. I have watched this for years and really to maintain at about 160 requires averaging 1200 calories daily. I realize that is a "diet" amount of food for most people. But if I really up the vegetables I can do it. I hate to share this because I don't want younger people to starve themselves, but to lose I really do have to average around 1000 calories a day. And as you can see, that is still about 1/2 pound loss a week.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:44 am

People don't like the "diet" amounts, but I've reversed my ideas about them since reading so much about IF and its advantages. Starvation is really a misnomer. It doesn't make sense to talk about starving when there's plenty of reserves to feed from. It's just a matter of creating the conditions to nudge the body into using them.

I think it's funny that some doctors will say they worry about a patient not getting enough nutrients when intake is low. Good golly, when I was compulsively overeating, it wasn't on freggies! I was overeating but it's doubtful I was getting many real nutrients.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:18 pm

ha ha....Yes, I think I have plenty of reserves to pull from. I have always had the experience that I do not lose weight unless I really eat lots and lots of veggies. I do need that feeling of being full and having some time over my meal to chew for awhile, too. And it is working. I have now lost 10 pounds since eating low calorie NoS which is a little over 2 pounds a month.

I am still following the NoS plan and on S Days just splurge a little extra on fresh fruit (we have fresh strawberries, blackberries, and peaches locally).

So I am eating 4 cups of leafy greens, lots of fresh tomatoes an cucumbers and squash with a little chicken or tuna thrown in the salad. In the evening I usually fix at least 3 cups of frozen Normandy blend veggies. For this 30 day period I have been recording food and calories in my fitness pal. I think I have a good feel for it again and will drop this next month. My average calorie intake is about 1000 a day. Some days I go up to 1200 and others about 900. I am also walking my daughter's dog about 30 minutes a day.

We are showing the house several times a week and have turned down one offer that was contingent on the buyer selling her house. (also lowballed the price). Next week I have blood work done and we shall see what the numbers are. I don't think I can maintain this low a calorie intake forever but I think I will have to stay at about 1200 average to maintain and this regimen is helping me see how to do that and be satisfied.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:50 pm

I think it's actually natural to have some periods of lower food intake even while keeping to the basic rhythm of meals. This is the perfect time of year for lighter, water-rich foods, as Barbara Rolls of Volumetrics fame, calls them. I like how they lengthen the meal, too. If I were eating the same number of mouthfuls ofdense foods for the same amount of time, hoo boy. Most overweight people eat the same amount in half the time.

How much we can stick to long term is such a mind game, though I guess small plates are supposed to help counteract being very conscious about it. I've been shopping in thrift stores for some smaller clear ones I like that I can put over my regular ones, whose color I just really like. I'm going to see if just filling the plate to the edge of the clear part works. I can't seem to make myself leave a border clear. But these days, a lot of meals are just the dense foods over a bed of greens and other veggies in a shallow soup bowl with a wide rim. It's all just jumbled together. I like them, and think I do a better job than a lot of restaurants, which is why I don't often order the meal salads out. Side salads are so puny to me, esp. for the price.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Merry

Post by Merry » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:08 am

oolala53 wrote: I think it's funny that some doctors will say they worry about a patient not getting enough nutrients when intake is low. Good golly, when I was compulsively overeating, it wasn't on freggies! I was overeating but it's doubtful I was getting many real nutrients.
:lol: Isn't that the truth?! (As a culture, we seem to really be afraid about not eating. It's interesting.)
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:23 pm

BMI: 31.9 at highest (after Christmas, 2016)
Current BMI: 29

Weight: Lost 19 pounds from highest

I am not sure what my weight was at the beginning of my commitment to NoS, but the good news is that it is going down. I have been following NoS consistently since the middle of February. It took at least a month to get the habit in place and then this summer I have gone to very low calorie while there are plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits to fill up on. The calorie count is low and beginning in August I will see what I can add. I am thinking that my N Days will have to be the same, but I think I can up the calories some on S Days. The average is what I will need to adjust.

Eating plan:
NoS in place
5 fish meals a week, 3 beef meals
4 cups raw veggies daily (large salad with protein added)
limit added fats to 2T daily (some days 1 T)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:05 pm

I think I was down even less than that at this point in my history. I did have some looow days at times, but not to lose more.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

TexArk

August Update

Post by TexArk » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:46 am

I am posting some data here for my own analysis.

Started NoS in Dec of 2008. My weight was about 176. I went up and down with my weight but began to establish the habits. However, by October of 2010 I was up to 204. I cut back on calories and lost down to the 150s for awhile.
Then I started gaining again.

2013: January 171.6 gradually down in Sept. to 161.3 But by beginning of December up to 172 again.
2014: February 183.2 and stayed in the 180s until the end of the year.
2015: March 195 and ended year at 190
2016: did not keep weight records but know I got over 200.
2017: started NoS regularly again in February. weight was about 200

2017: August: 184 Loss of 16 pounds in 6 months

Lessons learned:
I need to weigh in every day (I don't call this excessive scale stepping). When I don't weigh in I am in denial. It is obvious that I quit weighing in November about Thanksgiving time and some years did not pick back up again until facing the new year. And then, of course, the entire year of 2015 I did not weigh in. I use the Hacker's Diet website to track weight loss and trends.

My weight wants to trend up. When I was younger I would lose down to my goal weight of 142 and then would return to 10 pounds higher quickly. 150 became my set point I guess. Then it gradually became 162 and then 172. The last decade I found I could hit 200 quickly.

I will always have to address this. I cannot eat the daily calorie recommendations without gaining weight. My maintenance calorie count will probably have to be the same as whatever my daily average is while losing. I need to track my food and it is not burdensome with the online calorie counters. I have been using myfitnesspal and have many of my recipes on file. I also repeat many breakfasts and lunches and that is a quick entry. I have tried using my fingers, palm, thumb, etc. for serving sizes. It is just easier for me to use a digital scale. But because my calorie count needs to be so low, I don't have room for error. I look at this just like a diabetic who might need to track blood sugar. I just have a chronic weight problem that has to be addressed and cannot be ignored.

NoS lessons: S Days can undo all the good of N Days. Every bite counts whether I count it or not. No snacking and no seconds are habits I need even on S Days (for the most part) and sweets can be enjoyed but must be accounted for. NoS has pretty much taken care of binges. Most of them in the past were because I was going to start being good after I cleaned out the house so to speak. NoS is continuing...no starting over.

Exercise lessons: I don't need to be sedentary but I can't really expect more than 30 minutes a day of planned exercise. Any more than that and it really ramps up my hunger and saps my energy. I need my energy to clean house and do all the daily chores of life. I can't devote an hour a day to exercise like I could when I was younger.

Bottom line: Follow NoS, stay connected on discussion board, limit and record calories, eat lots of veggies, weigh in daily, and exercise 30 minutes.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:40 pm

I also can't imagine not having to put SOME mental effort into what and how much goes on my plate. Since I cook for myself in batches, it's common for me to use measuring cups to serve myself, and sometimes the kitchen scale, though I have gotten the servings of things that are weighed down pretty well.

When you look back at the times your weight went up, is it obvious in your memory that you were often eating beyond fullness? Were you basically keeping to Vanilla but overdoing plates or S days, or were there a lot of failures? Did you not think you were really eating that much more and were surprised by ? My various times of gain always followed pretty obvious times of overeating, but others say it wasn't so clear.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:25 pm

Oh yes. I can say that my gains came from overeating. It usually started with holiday special occasions. I would get all inspired to bake and that is always a problem. I can handle eating out, eating at other's homes, but when I cook desserts I overindulge if I do not have a plan to give it away. The same goes for making dense comfort foods. A plateful of Mexican food, creamy chicken dishes, a large portion of beef (have a freezer full of grass fed beef) more potatoes, fewer vegetables, more added fat and there I would be. It would still be one plateful, but just way too many calories.

But, I never feel stuffed, as in I can't eat another bite, or I feel sick. I have to embrace feeling "not full" and enjoy feeling "light."

This weekend is going to take some concentration. I am participating in a garage sale Saturday morning (moving sale), have a wedding that afternoon, then have to cook food including a dessert for a potluck on Sunday and also have to prepare food for a wedding shower Sunday evening. It is a fully loaded food weekend. It is these kinds of events even though they are on S Days that have to be monitored closely.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:09 am

May I suggest you buy the dessert for the potluck.

I never bake sweet things unless it is a flagrant failure, where I am flat out bingeing. I guess I could conquer it if it were important to me, but I equate it with too many bad memories of kidding myself. I started to interpret my the justifications for baking as just the intense habit trying to keep me ensnared. And I just have no need to have sweets around. I just about never buy them for the weekend anymore. For company or to take to others, there are just too many good things available in my area. It happens infrequently enough that it fits my budget. But I don't have family around.

Then again, there are women, thin and not so thin, who never bake a thing and don't apologize for not doing it.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:40 am

I like your suggestion, but this particular potluck I can't bring a bought dessert. I will probably make a pound cake or the Texas Sheet Cake that will feed 24 and send home any leftovers. I am buying the fried chicken strips at the deli that we are taking so I won't have to deal with that. I don't agree but this is a Southern Bible Belt thing. We show love by our homecooking. We bring food when there is a death in the family and provide huge funeral dinners, new mothers get meals for week or so, and there are get togethers that are specifically potluck. I have gotten to the point where I will bring take out for someone who is recovering from surgery at home and the family needs to be fed. And I buy the cookie dough premade for cookies when I have to take cookies somewhere and always get asked for the recipe. Serves them right!! But for this potluck which I am in charge of by the way because of my husband's responsibilities...whatever I make will be eaten and I won't have to bring it home.

My daughter is a university librarian. Would you believe they have several events each semester where they are required by the library director to treat all their student workers with homemade treats. She has to make homemade cookies for the assortment even though there are perfectly good bakeries in town! And it always falls at those stressful times like end of the semester. The younger generation is better about this and hopefully a change will take place because they have to. Working moms and all that.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:53 am

That sounds like one of those uncomfortable situations where what's being asked of your daughter is blatantly illegal but it would probably be considered bad form not to participate. Not a team player and all that. But it's not cheap to bake! Maybe she can write it off on her taxes...
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:47 pm

Sorry to hear of your health scare. Have you changed anything in response?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:08 pm

All blood work excellent...originally done just as routine physical...no symptoms...lots of panels done. But 2 liver enzymes very high for 3 blood tests. Ultrasound showed nothing. The suspect is non alcohol fatty liver disease or non alcohol cirrhosis (and hopefully not cancer) but not showing fatty liver or tumor or blocked bile ducts on ultrasound. Having a consult with gastro specialist this week. Actually just his PA this time. I am thinking they will do an MRI before they do a liver biopsy. The only treatment for such if it is fatty liver is heavy exercise and lose weight and hope it doesn't get worse and if it does wait for liver transplant. The hospital nutritionist suggested intermittent fasting before this next test to see if the liver will clear. She also said that the fatty liver is precursor for diabetes...a silent scream. So I have been eating 2 meals a day, no sugar even on S Days and working out 60 minutes daily. I will say the weight has been dropping. The first tests were done in June. The consult may be as simple as let's watch this and check again in a few weeks. I have kept meticulous dietary records for 70 days. I am not really a candidate for this since I don't have metabolic syndrome. I am technically overweight but not in the obese category.

We shall see. But it sure is easier not to be tempted by sweets for now!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:11 am

Oh, my. Sounds like you're doing what I would be doing under the circumstances. You wouldn't be the first person to have weight loss when a health scare got them more focused. (It's pretty hard to recreate that, though. That's why I think so many dieters who use strict health practices end up failing long term.) But I hope you heal, too. Even more!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:07 pm

Waiting on last blood test results. Checking on rare stuff like autoimmune hepatitus. Don't think cancer or fatty liver from ultrasound. Hope it just goes away! If autoimmune will probably have to go on prednisone for life. Side effects of med are of course water retention and increased appetite as well as diabetes and osteo risks. And liver biopsy is next if blood work doesn't confirm.

So NoS still very important. I hope I have learned to live with increased appetite and know how to eat light. Weight is now down to 174.5 from a high of near 200 last February. But I will continue to have to monitor calorie and nutrients especially if go on meds. So my mod of recording food and exercise will continue.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:31 am

Hoping the best for you Tex. I remember having elevated liver results after I got my gallbladder removed. DH kept telling me not to worry and that it was likely nothing. I still worried but in the end he was right. I'm hoping the same for you.
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:09 pm

I had some enzymes that were up and they went down again. No fatty liver in my case either. I did have gallbladder out with some residual biliary issues. My gastroenterologist was never particularly troubled by it. Best wishes for your next text results.

174 is great! (If it's okay to remark on someone else's numbers!) I would love to be that. But you eat quite a bit less than I do so it's not surprising :)

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:32 am

Life moving on all fronts. NoS in place is very helpful.
Good news: House has sold and closing is on Oct. 13 if all continues to go well. That means busy days clearing out garage, holding estate sale, and final cleaning.

Not so good news: All blood tests and ultrasounds show no liver damage and functioning is normal. So the GI called for some more advanced blood tests which seem to confirm a diagnosis of Autoimmune liver disease (or autoimmune hepatitus). I will have a liver biopsy at the end of the month to be sure before starting on the immune suppressing drugs. This appears to be a lifetime condition and will be managed, but not cured. I have no idea what this means diet wise. I am assuming that I will need to go on an autoimmune protocol. The effects of the drugs concern me more (prednisone, etc.)

It is still vital that I continue to lose weight so that I don't develop fatty liver on top of this. And potential allergens will have to be eliminated.

So I guess all this comes with age no matter what. I haven't told too many people yet because I don't want all their advice. They don't know that except for too much food I have been on the clean eating wagon for decades. I never have been a processed food eater and rarely even eat at restaurants. I have been buying grain fed beef from a local source for a decade. So I don't need a nutrition lesson from the newly informed.

I will continue with NoS no matter what the protocol is because weight management will be part of it.

Now on to dispose of more STUFF. How does it accumulate and reproduce?

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:57 am

Good news on the house. I hope your liver biopsy also yields good results. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this-- the uncertainty must be really frustrating. Great news that there is no damage to the liver. Not advice (well, ok, it is a little bit advice, which I suspect you are already doing anyway) but when dealing with something weird, I find it reassuring to go to an academic center where they treat it more often. I have a benign tumor of the pituitary that I go to Hopkins for. It's rare enough that it's worth it to me to go to a pituitary center even though it's an hour and a half drive.

Best wishes for the downsizing/move. I hope you are enjoying your retired husband's company! I have a loooong list for woodworker husband when that day comes, but it is looking pretty distant at the moment :)

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:52 am

The NoS pattern of no seconds, no sweets, and no snacks is firmly in place. I began again in February and have lost about 30 lbs. since then. I am about 10 lbs. away from a healthy BMI. However, the loss has really come from concern about health issues.

I am asymptomatic and only caught the high liver enzymes because of yearly blood work. After multiple blood tests, ultrasounds, more blood tests, and finally a liver biopsy, the conclusion is "probable autoimmune hepatitis" and doctor started me today on prednisone 10 mg. and azathioprine 50 mg. I am to see him Wed. I have never taken any meds and I know plenty about these. But it is my understanding I have no choice because the alternative is liver damage if we can't stop the attack on my liver. I am following the autoimmune protocol diet which is really an elimination diet (no grains, dairy, nightshades, nuts, seeds) but lots of veggies, greens, meats, fish, and some fruit. I am hoping I won't have the horrible side effects of the immune suppressing drugs, but it is certainly easier to try to eat as nutrient dense as I can and to avoid any foods that might cause allergies. If I have the side effect of not being able to sleep I might be typing away on my daily check in. I know prednisone is supposed to make one ravenously hungry. I am hoping that my good diet will help with that.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:26 am

In the mid-90's, I read a book called Neanderthin about a man who had had rheumatoid arthritis from his early 20's and who was diagnosed with diabetes in his early 30's. He could not face taking meds the rest of his life, so researched and went Paleo. I don't think he knew about the Eads, who wrote their book in '88. But he turned his autoimmune conditions around and never looked back. A friend did the same, going from being relatively heavy and in pain as a vegetarian around Zen people to a Paleo cyclist and spear fisher.

I hope it does as well for you, and I'd bet that last ten pounds comes off, though I imagine that would be the side benefit (as it is of so many health regimens. Health is THE reason to "diet." IMHO)

But people who don't have your incentive are going to be jealous when they can't make themselves do it.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:11 am

Things are going pretty well considering. The house has sold and closed and it feels good to have disposed of so much stuff and begin to have a simpler house and yard to manage. Husband is handling retirement well so far. Of course, we have been so busy with the moving that he hasn't had much time on his hands. He goes to university to eat with his buddies 3 times a week so that is good for him.

On the health front, the diagnosis is autoimmune hepatitus, and I am at stage 2 fibrosis. Stage 4 is cirrhosis. The doctor thinks that the meds will keep the progression from going there, and I can possibly go into remission. However, I will have to take some form of immune suppression drug for the rest of my life. I will have more bloodwork the first week in November. Hopefully, I can drop the Prednisone at that time. I am not having any side effects yet. (Except that I was mopping the kitchen floor at 3:00 a.m. one morning!) I don't know of any cases where people with my disease were able to get off meds (there are only 100,000-200,000 cases in U.S.) but I believe that this diet will keep me as healthy as possible on the lowest dosage and also prevent another autoimmune disease. At least it is something I can do that is proactive.

On the weight front, things are going well. I am steadily losing on the AIP diet and am really not at all hungry and feel satisfied without cravings. Of course the protocol of no sugar, no grains, no dairy, no nuts and seeds, and no nightshades is a challenge. I feel good and I really am enjoying my large salads full of all sorts of goodies. The biggest challenge is eating outside of the house.

Interesting lesson learned or reinforced: Henry Ford's quote is so true.
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right!" I am not even desiring the sweets and breads and dense foods that I thought I couldn't live without. My S Day treats are dried fruit , coconut butter, and such.

Anyway. my bmi is now 26.9 and I am in need of new jeans!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:53 am

First, you sound like you are handling this news really well. I've been lucky enough not to have any "innards" problems yet in my life. It's slightly frightening to me that my insides that run pretty well could be on their way to going wonky without my knowledge at all. And then if something does go wrong, I couldn't even see it to know if it's getting better. Aack, this is turning into me, me, me when it's you, you, you facing it!

I wonder if you didn't have your condition if your WOE would be okay with you. What it's like to eat if you aren't hungry, and not because you've been permasancking or overeating? I've almost never overeaten because I was hungry, and I went through a time-it's not completely over-whenI almost never felt hunger, even if I fasted from 1 pm to morning. Food lost its satisfying pleasure for me, but I missed it and longed for the old pleasure. I can't imagine not missing starches. I've toyed with the idea of trying it out after the holidays, though, because I'm curious about ending cravings.

May I ask what's hard about eating out? Can you not get enough of the right vegetables? It sure seems like there'd be protein out there. Maybe sauces? I'm curious

Congrats on needing new jeans (for your genes)! If you stick with this and it sounds like it's not an "if," I predict you're going to get well into your normal range.
Last edited by oolala53 on Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:56 am

oolala,

Yes, reaching 70 years of age and never having had a health issue, this has been a shock. Also, the fact that I have no visible symptoms is unnerving.
The weird thing about my chosen way of eating is that the food is satisfying and it is pleasurable. I have always enjoyed meats and those are not restricted. We always have a freezer full of grass fed beef. Yesterday I even rendered tallow! I look forward to my meals, really. It is just that there is no craving for the dense carb/sweet foods that have always called me. I am sure that my belief that I am doing the best thing for my body is a huge factor.

The eating out issue is a challenge because it is difficult to get plain, unseasoned food at most of our local restaurants. I can have a steak if it is not seasoned at all and I can have a plain, sweet potato, and a salad without tomatoes, cheese, or peppers. If fresh fruit is on the menu I can have that. But honestly, I would rather prepare that at home. It is for social reasons that I would eat out. However, as you can see forget about Mexican food, pizza, Italian food, Asian, BBQ etc. Most social occasions here are not steakhouse situations. I do not want to be the "problem" when it comes to where we are going to eat out. If it is just my husband and me....no problem.

Gracie

Post by Gracie » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:06 pm

Hi, TexArk!

I was up very early this morning due to some bowel inflammation (I have Crohn's Disease), so I ended up reading through this entire thread while lying on the couch. I just wanted to say that I REALLY enjoyed your posts and your documentation of your journey. I found each post you made to be very inspirational, and I eagerly looked forward to what happened next.

I'm glad your house finally sold, but I'm sad to hear about your liver issues. What is fascinating is how positively you've reflected on each experience. It's very much reinforced to me how valuable it is to document things... even if just for the purpose of reflection and growing from past mistakes/choices.

Anyway... I know that I have very little that I can contribute, other than to express my gratitude for everything you've chosen to share on this forum. I hope your health continues along this positive path, and I eagerly look forward to reading more future posts from you.

xx

[ETA: This is random and has nothing to do with your posts, but I felt a little connection to you when I saw you mention you lived in Arkansas! My husband is from Arkansas... born and raised! I also attended graduate school at the U of A in Fayetteville... so contextually I understood a lot of statements you made about expectations for events and needing to bring homemade baked goods to things. It just made me chuckle. My husband and I currently are living in Wisconsin, and it's very similar.]
28 year old who believes that true growth comes from stepping outside of your comfort zone.
Fun-sized (4'10"), fun-loving, and on a journey to embrace a healthy and practical approach to food.
SW (10/9): 118#
CW (11/6): 113#
GW: 105#

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:16 pm

Thanks, Gracie. I find that it helps me ever once in awhile to go back and reread posts. And if you have Crohn's disease then you know what it is like to battle an autoimmune disease, too.

jenji

Post by jenji » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:29 pm

Congrats on your home sale. I'm sorry about your health news. The autoimmune stuff is so mysterious. I hope the AIP diet does the trick for you to keep it in remission.
I'm a 53-year-old mom and non-profit CEO
I am 5' 7.5"
Began No S at 184#, BMI 28.4 - 9/25/2017
Current weight: 181#, BMI 27.9, 12/19/2022

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:09 pm

Time to check in and get back on page 1.

I have been on prednisone for liver autoimmune disease for 2 months and have been following the autoimmune protocol diet along with NoS principles. I have not had the dreaded weight gain and have even continued to lose. My liver enzymes are in the near normal range and am hoping in another month the doctor will take me off prednisone and just leave me on a maintenance immunosuppressive drug to control the attack on my liver.

Here are the stats.
Started NoS again in Feb weighing around 200.

July 1 191.6 with a mean bmi for the month at 30.5
Aug 1 184.0 with a mean bmi for the month at 29.6
Sept 1 175.8 with a mean bmi for the month at 28.3
Oct 1 170.7 with a mean bmi for the month at 27.1
Nov 1 166.0 with a mean bmi for the month at 26.7
Dec 1 164.0 with a current bmi of 26.6

Amazing how easy it is to be compliant when your health is at stake. It is imperative that I do not develop a fatty liver or diabetes and I certainly don't want another autoimmune disease so absolutely no sugar, grains, or dairy and I made it through Thanksgiving just fine. I am walking the dog 30-40 minutes a day and doing weights at the gym about 3 times a week. nothing strenuous

According to WHO bmi standards I am still overweight by about 10 lbs. But I am happy where I am. My clothes size is good. I look fit and at 70 years of age I will be happy to stay where I am. If I lose more so be it, but it probably won't happen.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:56 am

So glad all your hard work is paying off!!! Here's to hoping you can get off the meds soon.

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:12 pm

Sounds like you're doing great. Well done!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:36 am

Yes, health issues can suddenly make people do what they said was impossible before. Just goes to show that motivation makes a huge difference, but I also think it's pretty darn hard to invent that kind of intensity when the health problem isn't already there. There's a big difference between "I should" and "I want to save my life."
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

TexArk

2018 Update

Post by TexArk » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:58 am

Well...I have drifted and picked up about 5 pounds as a result of a relapse to bad habits. So I am committing to checking in while I get the NoS habits nailed down once again.

In 2017 I lost over 30 lbs, my husband retired, we downsized and moved, sold our house, and then I got hit with an autoimmune diagnosis. I managed to hang on and not gain weight while on prednisone but I didn't lose any more. That was still a victory. The prednisone will probably start again next month.

At the end of September I put myself on the Autoimmune Protocol Diet and eliminated all grains, sugar, chocolate, coffee, legumes, dairy, eggs, nuts, seeds, soy, seed oils, and nightshades. After 60 days I started slowly reintroducing foods to see what didn't cause any problems. I have successfully added back eggs, nuts, seeds, coffee, grass fed whole fat yogurt, ghee and dark chocolate. In 2018 I have slipped and started eating snacks and "sweets" even though they are compliant. I know I have to think of dried fruits, chocolate, honey, and nuts as S Day treats. I also have to limit high glycemic foods (sweet potatoes, plantains, fruits).

So I am going to check in again regularly and may even record what I am eating just for my own records. On another note, because of osteoporosis, I have lost 2 inches in height over the years. Sigh...messes up my BMI, but it is what it is. Age 71 and now 5'5"

3-19 168.5 bmi 27.8 SUCCESS
Breakfast: large bowl collard greens with a little ham, 1 prune, 1 dried apricot, 1 fried egg, 1 very small sweet potato, 2 coffee w/ a splash of cream
Lunch: small serving chicken breast, bowl of zucchini soup, 1 apple
Mid afternoon: hot tea with a little honey
Supper: Mexican stew over spaghetti squash, broccoli soup, small cup of Greek yogurt and strawberries

3-20 168 SUCCESS
Breakfast: large bowl collard greens, small portion of calf liver, 1 beef stew cube, spaghetti squash (squash browns) 2 coffee w/ splash of cream
Lunch: zucchini soup, salmon with olive oil, Ezekiel bread
Supper: stew beef cubes, steamed veggies, caramelized onions, sauerkraut, strawberries w/ a little cream

3-21 166.8 SUCCESS
B: liver, boiled egg, mushrooms, veggies, coffee
L: garlic browned beef, collard greens, apple
S: large tossed salad with meat, broccoli soup, sweet potato fries

3-22 166.6 SUCCESS
B: collard greens w/ ham bites, boiled egg, spaghetti squash, coffee
L: hamburger/cabbage soup; apple
S: large green salad, baked salmon, yogurt, prune

3-23 166.2 SUCCESS
B: collard greens w/ ham, steamed veggies, liver, coffee w/cream
L: hamburger cabbage soup, apple
S: tuna, olive oil, cantaloupe slices, zucchini soup, grape juice

Made it through 5 N days and will have a cautious S Day tomorrow. Also walked the grand dog 5 days and did lifting at gym one day. Not sure I will detail next week, but it has helped. (And extra bonus loss of 2 lbs.)
Last edited by TexArk on Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 9 times in total.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:03 pm

Glad to see you again, though I wish it weren't because of any trouble you're having.

I'm glad the food choices have made some of the changes you wanted. But the small weight gain shows it's not just the processed foods that can get us.

I've lost another half an inch after having lost one midway through No S. Good Lord! I just had a bone density DEXA scan by my health provider done but haven't gotten the results back yet. I've paid for bodyfat tests that show those results, too, and the news has always been good. We'll see if the density has changed, but I'm not sure what to do about it. I guess get more regular about weight lifting?

Good luck with this next phase.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:45 pm

Thanks oolala. Yes it isn't only junk food or processed food that will add on pounds. I have not eaten at a restaurant since last September. I brought food I could eat to holiday gatherings and stayed compliant on my birthday (plantain chocolate brownies). But NoS principles still hold true. Snacking is what did me in. Too many dips into the fruit bowl, too many medjool dates, and too many nuts outside of meals. It only takes 200 calories extra each day to add up. So here I am establishing the habits again.

I do feel very well and am enjoying my food, even though sometimes it seems like a full time job.

TexArk

S Days

Post by TexArk » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:37 pm

Whew! Made it through 5 N Days. Trying to reestablish habit. Lost 2 lbs. also.
So...now for S Days. I do not want to gain back what I lost so the plan is to just add some dried fruit, dark chocolate, and nuts as sweets and treats and keep all else the same.

B: coffee, sardines, kale, spaghetti squash
L: beef/cabbage soup, plantain chips w/ nightshade free salsa, avocado slices, coconut date bar, plantain mini brownie
S: BBQ chicken pizza (mushrooms, onions, spinach), jicama slices, mini brownie, date bar, coffee

Evening Snack: frozen banana and coconut milk "Ice cream"

a walk to the grocery store
a walk to the Dollar Store

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:59 pm

I have stayed on track this month and all is well. I am actually weighing pretty much what I need to weigh (162) and if I lose a few more lbs that will be OK. This last year I have lost about 40 lbs. and more importantly, the habits are back in place. I am tackling an autoimmune disease so I don't need the stress of managing food and weight.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:18 am

Great news that you’re feeling on track. Hope some mental energy is freed up for other concerns. Hugs.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:10 am

Sounds like you're doing fantastic!

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:36 am

Congratulations on your loss, hope you are soon well

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Wed May 09, 2018 9:37 pm

I am maintaining weight loss, but little slip ups this week escalated today, SO it's time to check in daily for awhile. The afternoon's have been tough. It's been a long time since I have used HabitCal so I will check back in there, too. Not sure how to set up the cute emoji reports, but old school will do.

Thursday: SUCCESS
Friday: SUCCESS
Last edited by TexArk on Sat May 12, 2018 4:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tombo

Post by Tombo » Thu May 10, 2018 7:14 pm

Well done for maintaining the weight loss, I look forward to seeing you around here more :)

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Mon May 14, 2018 11:34 am

Made it through the S Days including Mother's Day without going wild. Now for 5 compliant N days.

Monday: FAILURE ate after supper
Tuesday: SUCCESS
Wednesday:SUCCESS

Now for a calm weekend!

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Mon May 21, 2018 10:29 pm

Oops! I have been out of practice for awhile on the daily check in I accidentally made a new check in. So hope this is adding on to the old thread.

Week #2 of rebooting:
Monday: SUCCESS
Tuesday: FAIL (chocolate chips)
Wednesday SUCCESS (went to bed early!)
Thursday FAIL (trouble stopping after supper..must BRUSH TEETH immediately!

The evenings seem to be a problem so plan for this tomorrow.

and now for sensible S Days and the holiday weekend...

Saturday and Sunday went OK. Ate too many almonds and strawberries but it was OK. Memorial Day now in progress. It will be a regular N Day except for some Strawberry Ice Cream (actually only strawberries, coconut milk, and a little maple syrup frozen).

Today marks one year of getting serious about my eating habits once again. I prefer to use bmi numbers rather than weight, but that changed because I discovered that I had shrunk 2 inches due to osteoporosis! Down to 5'5" But here it is for the record, weighing in on the 28th of each month (I was a few pounds over 200 by Feb of 2017 when I came back on board)

June 192.8
July 186.2
August 178
Sept 168
October 167.4
November 164.6
December 167.5
January 168
February 166.8
March 167
April 162.8
May 160.4 current bmi 26.9 (which is OK for my age)

My goals are to just stay within the boundaries of NoS and see where it all plays out. I do have other restrictions that are health related and that is not going to change. I do not feel deprived thanks to all the No S training over the years. I have gone down 3 pant sizes and will admit that it feels good!

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:36 pm

New week...time to daily check in once again.
The S weekend went by with hardly a notice which is a good sign that I am back on track. I did have more fruit than usual as well as yogurt and honey and some coconut butter, but none of the anxious chatter of "what can I eat, what can I eat, this is my opportunity, go for it."

Quote for the week from Gillian Riley:
"Fully own the choices you make by choosing the complete picture, not just the enjoyable experience."

Wednesday: FAIL (had seconds after supper)
Thursday: SUCCESS (had apricots and yogurt while my guests had peach pie and ice cream and it was all OK. satisfaction and no deprivation. I just told them I had to be on a special diet for health reasons)
Friday: SUCCESS. did nibble on some cucumbers while preparing my salad but I refuse to call that a failure

Now for 2 easy S Days. Not overthinking this.
Saturday was pretty much an ordinary N Day, but Sunday I ate fruit, plantain chips and nuts in snacking mode. No problem, except when I do this I always realize that this is how I would really like to eat...nibble, graze, and snack around. It is my default setting even now! So I will need to be vigilant tomorrow.

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:39 am

And now for another week. Last week was good. The S days were good except Sunday was a little over the top for me....too much snacking on fruit and nuts. But no stuffing or bingeing so no regressing there. But it was a wake up call to see how easy I fall back to my default of snacking and grazing.

M: SUCCESS
T: FAIL (eating fruit after supper)
W: FAIL (not sitting down and eating out of plate for supper)
T: SUCCESS (but my plates were pretty dense!)
F: SUCCESS (resorted to calorie counting just to be honest with myself)

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:10 pm

New week. Yesterday was way too snacky. My dad always called it grazing and it comes very naturally for me. He would tell my stepmom not to fix meals for us when we visited. He said we can just graze. Of course he also raised cattle and wanted them fattened up for the sale barn!

And a cute story...I got a friend of mine and her husband, who is a minister, to try NoS this summer. He was on the verge of starting WW. They have been successful and I loaned them my book to get them started. Well she sent me a message today that said "yesterday in his sermon he was illustrating a point about keeping one's word and used the NoS diet but couldn't think of the third S. After a very tense pause in which I was afraid the audience was thinking the Sex word, I heard myself blurt out "Snacking!)"

Monday: SUCCESS with lots of gum chewing and black coffee drinking
Wednesday: SUCCESS

Now to have mild S Days. Weight stabilizing around 160-161. It has been a slow process to reset the set point. I have watched the scale the last mon9 months staying all around 167, then 165, then 163, and 161. That is why I do weigh daily and use the hacker's diet spreadsheet to keep records and see trends. I have records going back to 2013. Very helpful. Am hopeful set point is resetting because it used to be at 176....gain 20 lbs. lose back to 176 and not be able to get below. Diet my way below and then back up again to 176 and then more and so on. When I started NoS 7 1/2 years ago I was at 176, the magic number, again and went up twice to 200 and back down again. My attitude now is that I am at maintenance and wherever my weight falls is where it is supposed to be if I am "on habit."
Last edited by TexArk on Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:07 pm

Lol! 😆

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:40 pm

another new week. Monday and Tuesday we went with friends for an overnight trip to visit art museum and scenic spots and eating out at special places. Usually I come back home having gained a few pounds and feeling out of sorts. This time I actually lost about a pound. Did not eat any sweets that others were eating even though I could have declared S Days. It just didn't appeal. Wow. Today is husband's birthday and I am not baking. He doesn't want anything since he treated himself on the mini vacation.

Monday SUCCESS
Tuesday SUCCESS
Wednesday SUCCESS
Thursday FAIL...afternoon started eating veggie chips (lots!)
Friday SUCCESS (had to virtual plate supper but it was OK)

Now for the weekend. Just a reminder to myself of the success of the last year. Today's weigh in at end of the month:
159.8 26.8 BMI
Weight loss for last 6 months averaged 1/4# a week and 1/2# a week for the last year.

I am inching my way down but would be OK with stabilizing where I am. I have taken off 40 lbs. in the last year and a half or so.

And my liver enzymes last week showed normal range...been off prednisone for 4 months so no need to add back. Yay! Still have to stay on immune suppressors for life and restrict inflammatory foods. But food side of life is good.
Last edited by TexArk on Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:45 pm

Wow, you’re doing great! Wish I could have such a relaxed attitude about my weight.

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:58 pm

Best S Days in quite awhile and probably a good thing since now there is the 4th and next day family birthday...won't be doing much though.

Starting off the week with a weigh in of 158.6 which would be a perfect bmi if I hadn't lost 2 inches in height in the last decade. But nevertheless, I am fine with it and as usual just thinking of NoS as maintenance. I spent some time a few days ago weeding out my recipe notebook collections. Oh my! Do I need to say I have a sweet tooth??? I have collected recipes for decades and have a huge cookbook collection as well. I am slowly giving up the idea of baking breads, pies, cakes, cookies. There is no need and if such need arises there are so many options readily available. It does make me sad, but it is helping to know that my cravings and binges have gone away with giving up those foods. I used to plan and bake on S Days and it was more torture than pleasure. So again, adopt the French/Italian model and save the sweets for the bakeries and sweet shops as something special.

Tuesday:
Wednesday:
Thursday:
Friday:

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:34 pm

Haven't checked in this week because of some family as well as vehicle issues, but weight is holding on at 159-160 (which is 40 lbs. down from highest weight) and I am still on habit. A few days I add almonds in the afternoon, but nothing disastrous. No bingeing, no craving sweets, no overeating at meals. My only issue this summer has been the fresh fruit: strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and peaches have all been in season. I probably have eaten too much, but I am no longer baking pies, cobblers, etc. They are sweet enough for me all on their own.

I really don't think much about S Days anymore, but if an occasion arises, I will use an S.

My plan for now is to be accountable by checking in once a week, but I don't think I need the daily for now. I still check in to see how others are doing and if I can add anything to help I will post

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:44 pm

Great news re how you have settled in to the habits without having to think about it.

Thanks for sharing that :)

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

TexArk

August Update

Post by TexArk » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:42 pm

Still truckin' along. After two months of no weight shift, I seem to have moved down a pound. At least I have stayed under 160 for 5 days and the trend is showing that also. My goal is really just to stabilize at 158 which will be just fine for me. I have eliminated sugar since last September for a health issue and that seems to have tamed that demon. I don't think I will change size any more so I am enjoying building up my retirement wardrobe. I found a really good alteration lady so when I have spotted quality basics at thrift stores she has done wonders. I don't need much but the bargain hunter in me just can't resist continuing to look. I am wearing a pencil skirt for the first time in years! So I can say that the reward in losing 40 lbs. (this time around) has been good. I feel better about myself and have put the full length mirror back in its place!

And for those who are just figuring this all out, I will say again that starting with maintenance (which is what I think NoS does) and letting your body gradually adapt as you learn the lifetime habits is GENIUS.

It is not more information that we need. And, we have the answer for when we just get derailed because of whatever (rebellion?). I have been at this for 10 years. I may have some slip ups in the future, but I don't think I will ever get derailed for very long. This makes me very relaxed.

jenji

Re: August Update

Post by jenji » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:22 pm

TexArk wrote:Still truckin' along. After two months of no weight shift, I seem to have moved down a pound. At least I have stayed under 160 for 5 days and the trend is showing that also. My goal is really just to stabilize at 158 which will be just fine for me. I have eliminated sugar since last September for a health issue and that seems to have tamed that demon. I don't think I will change size any more so I am enjoying building up my retirement wardrobe. I found a really good alteration lady so when I have spotted quality basics at thrift stores she has done wonders. I don't need much but the bargain hunter in me just can't resist continuing to look. I am wearing a pencil skirt for the first time in years! So I can say that the reward in losing 40 lbs. (this time around) has been good. I feel better about myself and have put the full length mirror back in its place!

And for those who are just figuring this all out, I will say again that starting with maintenance (which is what I think NoS does) and letting your body gradually adapt as you learn the lifetime habits is GENIUS.

It is not more information that we need. And, we have the answer for when we just get derailed because of whatever (rebellion?). I have been at this for 10 years. I may have some slip ups in the future, but I don't think I will ever get derailed for very long. This makes me very relaxed.
Nice update! I, too, feel relaxed about my weight loss, and it's nice to be able to use that "mind space" for other things.
I'm a 53-year-old mom and non-profit CEO
I am 5' 7.5"
Began No S at 184#, BMI 28.4 - 9/25/2017
Current weight: 181#, BMI 27.9, 12/19/2022

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:46 am

Very encouraging to read this! I can’t wait to build a post-breastfeeding wardrobe in a year or so and hopefully I’d be somewhere closer to my “ideal†weight as Reinhard defines it.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:16 pm

What an inspiring story! I love reading the posts of long-time NoSers. Thanks for sharing this.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:52 pm

In maintenance. Staying about 158-159. Have lost 40 lbs. or so since Feb. 2017.
But here are a few interesting things. I am wearing a pair of jeans that only fit when I was weighing about 142. Go figure. Fat has shifted around in my old age. The only extra fat is in my middle which I never had before and not accumulating on my hips and thighs. Not sure if middle will ever go away, but I look just fine in my clothes. I was always out of proportion with a small waist and tummy.
And another funny thing. I have been losing steadily for a year and a half and no one has said a thing until this last week. Every where I go someone says, "You've lost weight" Isn't it odd that no one notices until you are at a normal weight? However, those comments have triggered some overeating that I haven't experienced in quite awhile. I will have to rein it in this week so I plan to report in just to keep me focused.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:20 am

That happened to me too. Nobody noticed for the longest time. Then finally after about 40 lbs someone noticed then it seemed like everyone noticed. I get how the comments can be triggering.

Enjoy your accomplishments though!

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:57 pm

Still maintaining but seem to have dropped more lbs. Now weighing about 155.5 so feel sure my set point has now been lowered. Interesting how all that works. I stayed at 160 for months and months and then started losing again and then stayed at 158 for awhile. My eating is the same, I think. I have added an extra walk into my day. At any rate, one of the best things about NoS is that nothing changes in your head. Just continue with the N Days and mild S Days and that's all there is to it.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:29 pm

Boom! That's all there is to it! I love your relaxed confidence!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:51 pm

Wow, just read the entire thread and what a wonderful journey it was.

How differently you must feel from 200 to 155. Congrats on your healthier lifestyle !
Berry

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:24 pm

TexArk wrote:Still maintaining but seem to have dropped more lbs. Now weighing about 155.5 so feel sure my set point has now been lowered. Interesting how all that works. I stayed at 160 for months and months and then started losing again and then stayed at 158 for awhile. My eating is the same, I think. I have added an extra walk into my day. At any rate, one of the best things about NoS is that nothing changes in your head. Just continue with the N Days and mild S Days and that's all there is to it.
And it really is that simple, patience is the key. Great to read posts like this :)

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:00 am

Hi TexArk- thanks for popping by my thread yesterday - really enjoyed reading your journey here. What a fantastic role model you are! Your words help to cement my own belief in No S. Loved what you said about how it’s genius to start with maintenance, and how your body adapts to that. The weight loss has been so slow and gradual for me. There've been long phases of no loss, when I just carry on, learn, perhaps notice where I’m still overeating and under-exercising (as we were chatting about on my thread). I’ve yet to have a desperate or rebellious moment on No S. Once I really got it - this is maintenance - I haven’t been tempted to go off the basic plan.

Hey, and congrats on your great No S success!

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:43 pm

Continuing maintenance update:
Trend for the last month .29 lb. weekly average weight loss
Trend for the last quarter .38 lb. weekly average weight loss
Trend for the last year .21 lb. weekly average weight loss

With the daily weigh in and tracking trend, I can see the tiny loss that would be discouraging or almost invisible otherwise.

So even though I am mindfully in maintenance, I am gradually dropping more weight. The trend weight is 157.1 with a 26.2 bmi. My all time high was about 200 18 months ago.

Exercise: I am averaging 45-60 minutes walking most days and two or three days a week of weight training...about 20 minute workouts.

71 yr. old female, 5'5"

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:56 pm

Still maintaining and my trend weight is showing 156.9. I have upped my walking quite a bit for various reasons...walking dog, walking with friend, going to gym with daughter, walking with husband. And the result is I think I am eating more to compensate for the extra exercise. It is very subtle, but the last week I have gained over half a pound. Not much I know, but with all the physical activity weight is creeping up a little instead of creeping down. So...just going to look at my plates a little more carefully. I know I am not thinking I can eat more because of the exercise, I just think my body is sending hunger signals because of the extra exercise.

So...up the above ground veggies on my plate! And measure the olive oil instead of pouring it over!

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:29 pm

I've noticed my urges to eat are increasing a little and I think it is something to do with the turn of the season, it's turning cold in the UK now..

Jx

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:08 pm

I also have felt weird cravings for comfort foods this past week.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:20 am

TexArk wrote: And measure the olive oil instead of pouring it over!
Something I also do.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:10 am

Weight still creeping up so the plan for the week is to record what I eat. Maybe I have been turning a blind eye!
Just an aside: If I hadn't shrunk 2 inches since I started NoS nearly 10 years ago, my bmi would now be 24.5...don't think I can legally use that, but it does give me pleasure to see I am in the normal range with an old lady adjustment.

Monday:
6:00 Breakfast: coffee w/ cream, squash browns, sauteed spinach, 2 boiled eggs, 2 T applesauce

Exercise: 3 1/2 mile walk

12:00 lunch: small cauliflower crust pizza w/ cheese and mushrooms, small sweet potato w/ olive oil, 1 T black cherry concentrate/water

5:00 supper: catfish sauteed in lemon butter, Normandy blend veggies, Italian green beans, olive oil, Endurance crackers, tea w/ honey

Exercise: unloaded new dryer from truck and moved out old dryer...lots of lifting and cleaning

Tuesday:
6:00 coffee with cream
10:30 RX bar
1:30 2 boiled eggs, Normandy veggies, small sweet potato, avocado, butter
4:30 chuck roast, spinach, coffee with cream
Exercise: gym cycling 15 minutes

Wednesday: trend weight 157.1
6:00 coffee with cream, egg over toast w/ butter, squash browns, spinach sauteed, 2 T applesauce
11:30 roast beef w/ mayo, Parmesan, green beans, sauerkraut, coffee w/cream
1:30 lunch meeting (plan to have a baked sweet potato) turned out to be very large
4:45 Endurance crackers w/ Parmesan crackers

Thursday:
7:00 coffee with cream, salmon, squash browns, spinach, applesauce, avocado, olive oil
10:30 roast, sauerkraut, gf toast, olive oil, yogurt, honey
4:00 roast, Parmesan, Endurance crackers, 85% dark chocolate square

Exercise: morning walk 1 3/4 mile; evening walk to gym and workout with weight machines and return walk

Friday: Weigh in back down to 155.5 so all this logging has helped.
7:00 coffee, calf liver, spinach, applesauce, olive oil
Exercise: 2 mile walk

Saturday: all time low (for this round!) of 154.2
plan for S Day is to keep to no snacking and no seconds, sweet will have to be special and not eaten alone
Last edited by TexArk on Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:33 am, edited 15 times in total.
24.7 bmi Feb. 2019
26.1 bmi Sept. 2018
31.4 bmi July 2017

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:20 pm

Always good to catch it early.

I was realizing that when I eat the same things everyday (which I don't exactly, but theoretically speaking, haha), then I can easily adjust up or down on amounts if weight goes up or hunger goes up too much. If only we were machines with straight up formulas (just kidding)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:47 pm

New week: 156.5 weight trend so back on track

I am gradually purging the last vestiges of my "food obsession." I have obviously thought about food 24/7 for most of my life. When we downsized and moved I got rid of 100s (yes 100s) of cookbooks. I am still purging. I still have many that I will keep. Most of the vintage cookbooks I want to keep, but I have gotten rid of all the specialty dessert cookbooks. Oh my. I know I don't need to bake and I really haven't done so in the last few years. If I need to make a dessert for some reason I certainly have a few go to recipes so don't need to try anything new. I think some of my cookbooks have just been food porn and that is not good to think on.

Also, yesterday I deleted 100s of collected recipes on pinterest. I still have allrecipes.com to purge. And I have printed out recipes for years and have many looseleaf notebooks full. In my defense I rarely eat out. Believe it or not, in the last year I have only had 7 meals outside of my cooking! I have collected some small batch dessert recipes which keeps extra food out of the house.

I also have gotten rid of lots of cookware. I inherited some high quality baking equipment from aunts and inlaws. I used to bake bread weekly and will not do that again.

I have 3 vintage Sunbeam mixers going back to pre WW2. And I have collected antique kitchen tools for 50 years. So I can see I have focused on food as a hobby for decades. Time to move on!!

I don't think I need to document meals this week but I commit to reporting in daily.
24.7 bmi Feb. 2019
26.1 bmi Sept. 2018
31.4 bmi July 2017

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:23 pm

Wow - it really is impressive how rarely you eat out!! I can see that it would be delightful to bake up a nice homemade treat to enjoy on the weekend. But......there's always too much when we make stuff at home.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:38 am

I don't want to sound too saintly about not eating out. But a year ago I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease and am on immune suppressors. So with a compromised immune system, I just want to make sure that I know exactly what I am eating and how it is prepared. We don't have many healthy restaurants around and the kitchen help is highly suspect I am afraid. That being said, I never have really enjoyed eating out. I taught school for 42 years and just wanted peace and quiet when I came home.
24.7 bmi Feb. 2019
26.1 bmi Sept. 2018
31.4 bmi July 2017

TexArk

Holiday Mindset

Post by TexArk » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:19 pm

I usually pick up a pound or two over S Days and then lose it over the week. But it is time to check in daily. From Halloween to New Year's is always a food fest and I tend to let up. Time to be vigilant and accountable. I plan to check in each day with weight, exercise and meals (and perhaps other goals). Because of autoimmune disease I need to watch carbs and sugars. Otherwise I just want to maintain between 155-157.

Weight: 158.2 26.1 bmi

Meals: (plan, but will edit as it happens!)
B: coffee with cream 2X
L: cauliflower crust pizza w/ mushrooms 3 slices (32 g. carbs), avocado, egg
S: beef stew, sliced chicken breast, yogurt with walnuts
couldn't get my taste buds ready for veggies for some reason
No eating past 5:00.

Movement:
2 mile walk with friend
1 1/2 mile dog walk (fast pace)
1 mile neighborhood walk with hubby

Others:
sympathy card (done)
wedding gift card (move to tomorrow)
2 phone calls (done)

Paper Pile Up:
30 minutes (maybe later this evening?) didn't happen
Last edited by TexArk on Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:43 am, edited 4 times in total.
24.7 bmi Feb. 2019
26.1 bmi Sept. 2018
31.4 bmi July 2017

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:45 pm

Paper Pile-Up! :-) Good category.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

TexArk

Day 2

Post by TexArk » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:09 pm

Will focus on eating more veggies today.
Weight: 158.2 bmi 26.2

Meals:
B: 2 boiled eggs; turnip greens; applesauce, coffee with cream
L: pollack w/ lemon butter; Normandy blend veggies
S: hamburger without the bun, walnuts, almond butter, flax crackers

Move It:
2 mile morning walk (got it done!)
2 mile noon walk (got it done)

Others:
wedding gift card (still need to do this)

Paper Pileup:
Filing and Bill paying (got it done!)
24.7 bmi Feb. 2019
26.1 bmi Sept. 2018
31.4 bmi July 2017

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:32 am

Weight: 157.5

B: boiled egg, spinach, squash browns, applesauce
L: beef stew, walnuts, chocolate chips (oops)
S: not sure....Halloween party but not planning on eating and NO CANDY
lots of coffee with cream and hot tea with a little lemon
walk 2 miles (did it)
gym treadmill 2 miles (more like 1 1/2 miles...rain)

shop for scrubs for costume (found them).

Made it through without a hitch. Not taking an S Day today. And the first time in many Halloweens where the candy is not calling my name. Will send the rest off to my daughter's workplace. This is the beginning of the candy season...from Halloween to Valentine's. Not happening this year!
24.7 bmi Feb. 2019
26.1 bmi Sept. 2018
31.4 bmi July 2017

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:40 pm

Nov 1: 156.9 #
B: boiled eggs, calves' liver, asparagus, coffee w/ cream X2
L: Keto Meat Muffin (spinach, onion, carrot, mushrooms), brie w/ flaxers, cashew milk, coffee w/ cream
S: Japanese sweet potato, brie (have to eat...going to get old..ha ha)

Walked the dog 1 1/2 miles.
Afternoon walk with hubby 1 1/2 miles
Will make plantain brownies for tomorrow and Saturday (my S Days) oops don't have all ingredients.

Take food to elderly lady in senior center. cancel due to rain
Argh! having to do paperwork to change Medicare part D plan during open enrollment.
24.7 bmi Feb. 2019
26.1 bmi Sept. 2018
31.4 bmi July 2017

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:20 pm

Weight: 158.5 (up 1.5...not sure why...maybe fluid retention)

B: avocado, 2 boiled eggs, sauteed spinach, 2 coffees w/cream
L: keto meatloaf (w/ mushrooms, onions, spinach, carrots), asparagus, plantain brownie, brie
S: will be veggies only

S events: Friday and maybe Sunday
plantain brownies

dog walk in the rain
walk to grocery store
walk with friend
13,000 steps at 1:30. Yea me.
24.7 bmi Feb. 2019
26.1 bmi Sept. 2018
31.4 bmi July 2017

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:39 am

weight: back down to 157.4 (still have in my head I need to stabilize at 155)

I have tried planning my meals ahead and I spend the rest of the day editing! I admire people who can do that, but I am more of a "what am I in the mood for' and "what is in the refrigerator" kind of person.

I do need to roast cabbage steaks and make cauliflower rice though to have on hand.

B: boiled eggs, steamed broccoli, squash browns, coffee w/ cream
L: plantain brownie and decaf coffee w/ cream

Move It:
Walked to grocery store with husband (1 mile walk)
Last edited by TexArk on Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
24.7 bmi Feb. 2019
26.1 bmi Sept. 2018
31.4 bmi July 2017

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:53 pm

TexArk wrote: I have tried planning my meals ahead and I spend the rest of the day editing!
:P

I know what you mean! I have days like that, where I have to edit. But I find that the "trying" to consider my day is very useful for preparing for moments of temptation. Also, my breakfast and lunch is essentially the same every N Day, so it's only dinner that I really have to think about. And, to save $$ and eat healthier, I began seriously menu planning last summer. So far so good and it is really important for my family. If I don't do that, we order out or eat junk. :roll:
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:54 pm

automated eating: I do admire your focus. It is not quite as necessary for me now that I am retired. Both my husband and I are retired schoolteachers and it is just the two of us. Now, I tend to cook up stuff and have on hand in the refrigerator or freezer and we eat a lot of leftovers. My breakfasts and lunches are no brainers, but I get these ideas about supper and then life invariably happens.

I think you are the one that mentioned that you eat moderately low carb to avoid diabetes. I am dealing with an autoimmune disease and have to keep from getting diabetes or fatty liver, so the motivation is really there. Without children at home, it is much easier to control what food is available in the house. My husband is prediabetic and is trying to be careful. It is much easier now than when I would come home from teaching exhausted and we would both spend the evening grading and prepping.
24.7 bmi Feb. 2019
26.1 bmi Sept. 2018
31.4 bmi July 2017

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:36 pm

My husband and I are both teachers, too! LOL, your image of grading and prepping in the evening fits us pretty perfectly (well, in between driving kids to and from activities, sheesh).

Yes, I eat moderately low carb. I don't want to go super low carb unless health problems force me to. I don't count carbs (heaven forbid counting...) but if I had to guess I eat about 50-75 g/day on N Days and at least 100 on S Days.
Not sure if you've seen the website dietdoctor.com but I love it. I even support it ($9/month) because I want the message to get out that restricting carbs is truly as close to a cure as a diabetic can get. Oh, and also remarkably useful for bringing down blood pressure. Oh, and I want the message to get out that saturated fat is not bad for us after all! Sorry, soap box now stepped down from..... :wink:

Now you have me trying to guess what autoimmune disease you have, lol. I teach A&P and micro so this sort of thing is my hobby. In another life I would have enjoyed becoming a doctor that solves the "unsolvable" cases, haha.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:11 pm

Well this is a different way to have a conversation, but to follow up:
I have autoimmune hepatitus. It is very rare, and I don't like to use the word hepatitus with the uninformed (sometimes in the medical community). The word just means inflammation of the liver, and this is autoimmune, not contagious. I have stage 2 fibrosis and it can be reversed with meds but never "cured." I will have to take immune suppressors for life. My liver enzymes have been in the normal range for quite awhile. I don't count carbs either but I think I am staying about 50 or 60 during the week (no grains, sugar, white potatoes, or most fruits) and I probably am not in ketosis.

Interesting story: I have an older church friend in her 80s. Retired elementary teacher. She lives in independent living facility, but uses walker and can't drive. But, she has been on insulin for type 2 diabetes for 15 years. Last July she put herself on the keto diet. She cannot eat in the facility cafeteria because of all the carbs, but prepares her own meals using a double hot plate, toaster oven, and microwave. I visited with her today. She said she is using insulin only every other day usually and much lower amount. Said she goes to doctor every 3 months and last visit her A1c was normal and he wanted to know what in the world was going on. She explained and he agreed with it. Another friend is a dietician with the hospital here and she says they are gradually changing and listening. The problem for most doctors, of course, is "the saturated fat is BAD" that they and we all have been taught for 50 years.

I have enjoyed watching youtube videos of Dr. Sarah Hallberg and Virta Health. Also Nina Teicholz's book.
24.7 bmi Feb. 2019
26.1 bmi Sept. 2018
31.4 bmi July 2017

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:21 am

Well! The liver is my favorite organ! Here's sending good thoughts toward your immune system to leave your hepatocytes alone! Thank you for trusting this forum to share.

What a marvelous improvement for your friend with diabetes! I love that, especially when her doctor was surprised! And very glad the doctor supports her.

Nina Teicholz is great. :-) And recently I've been following Virta Health a bit more. Thanks for mentioning it.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:51 am

Thank you for sharing Texarc! Makes sense to know what you are doing and why diet wise.
Hey, I have a friend who only got diagnosed with diabetes 1 in her 30s which is very rare and she nearly died but now she mainly used her diet to manage it and her doctor told her she couldn’t be part of a medical study as she is a total exception to the rule on everything to do with diabetes 1 but she is being “studiedâ€. She also has a very low carb diet. But then there are people like me who come from a multi-generation family line of heavy carb eaters and not one ever had any problems with with insulin nor with high blood pressure. If anything we have very low blood pressure and I wonder if there are genetically differences on how people metabolise carbs?
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:50 pm

eschano: I am sure we are all different metabolically. I have never shown any signs of being prediabetic, however, with my diagnosis, I must not have excess weight because of the danger of fatty liver disease and the meds I take can cause weight gain and medicine induced diabetes as well as osteoporosis Also, I need to control inflammation. So....I am following the protocol and so far it has worked. Weight loss and maintenance and meds on lowest possible maintenance level and no flair ups yet. I had to be on prednisone for about 3 months to get the inflammation under control and didn't gain.

Monday:
weight: 156.4 year ago: 165.0

B: avocado, spaghetti squash, sardines
L:
S: IP chicken

Move It: love my new pedometer https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DW ... UTF8&psc=1

walk dog (rained out)
walk w/friend (did 2 miles)
walk w/hubby to grocery store (1 mile)
clean house

HOA officer meeting at our house. Someone else is bringing a dessert. Yea! I can resist when I am not the baker.

Tuesday: 155.6
Too much to do today to log in food, but I am back in the groove.
Will walk dog this morning. And the meals will be simple. No major cooking today. And I will not stress eat! Brother kept me up all night with his panic attack from afar.

Wednesday: 157 (not sure why the bump up but it happens)
did get two walks in yesterday and heating was compliant
B: mustard greens, scrambled eggs, 1/2 avocado, 3x coffee with cream
L:
S:

walk with friend in a.m
dog walk at noon

Thursday: 156.5
got my walks in

Friday: 157
walked inside track with friend
later walk to gym to do weights
Last edited by TexArk on Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
24.7 bmi Feb. 2019
26.1 bmi Sept. 2018
31.4 bmi July 2017

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:44 pm

eschano wrote:I wonder if there are genetically differences on how people metabolise carbs?
I absolutely 100% believe this to be true! Humans are like snowflakes, each unique and beautiful in his or her own way. :-)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:30 pm

weigh in: 155.3 bmi 26.1 trend 156.6

Hanging in there as the Eating Season begins. This year I am confident I will stay the course and not break the established habits....to difficult to get back on track. The goal is to stay on habit and not to gain above 157.

It has been too much to post food each day, but I wanted to be sure and check in before Thanksgiving week begins.

I have been getting my 5 miles a day in most days of the week and walked in the gym during the snow days.

I don't plan to look at this weekend as 2 S days since Thanksgiving is approaching. Will take it as it comes.

Did fine on Saturday. Weighed in this morning at 155. Did fine until this afternoon and then went bonkers eating plantain chips. Didn't finish until the bag was empty even after putting it up several times! It has been a long time since I have done that sort of thing. A reminder. For one thing, best to keep things like that out of the house during stressful times. Well, it is an S Day. Thanksgiving Dinner is just one meal not a 3 day event (repeating to myself)

Nov. 29 Have maintained and actually dropped a little..weighing in at 155.2 with bmi 26.

This is the first November I haven't picked up weight and have actually lost. I think I have finally found my rhythm. I am an abstainer not a moderator and have tried and tried to moderate. I have given up sugar for the last year and I can honestly say I do not miss it. I am not using sugar substitutes. I have substituted very dark chocolate for a sweet treat and for special times have substituted honey or maple syrup for sugar and made gf brownies. The cravings are gone though. I do have to keep the highly desirable foods to small quantities in my environment because in weak moments I will overeat them (as in nuts, cheese, plantain chips, dried fruit)

Onward to December and all that brings.
24.7 bmi Feb. 2019
26.1 bmi Sept. 2018
31.4 bmi July 2017

TexArk

December 2018

Post by TexArk » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:57 pm

December Check In:
Made it through November maintaining and am determined not to get off track due to holiday season! I have been off sugar and grains for a year now and it has been good. No cravings!

Dec. 1 154.8 N Day 10,000 steps + strength training
Dec. 2 155.4 S Day no exercise
Dec. 3 155.0 N Day 12,000 steps
Dec. 4 154.6 N Day 11,000 steps
Dec. 5 154.8 N Day 12,000 steps
Dec. 6 155.0 N Day 7,000 steps + strength training
Dec. 7 154.6 N Day 7,800 steps :mrgreen:
Dec. 8 154.8 S Day
Last edited by TexArk on Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:04 pm, edited 10 times in total.
24.7 bmi Feb. 2019
26.1 bmi Sept. 2018
31.4 bmi July 2017

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:59 pm

Congratulations on finding your rhythm (that is a stinking hard work to spell!)!

I too think there are some things I do best with (near) total abstention, sugar and grains being those for me too. For the most part, ice cream is the treat I prefer indulging in on S Days. Nothing else really feels worth it, and there are certain foods (chips & candy) that completely triggers me to go "bonkers" as you put it. So best to not open that door.

Anyway, great progress/maintenance! Here's to a fabulous December!!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2