Everyday Systems
Home * Discussion Home
No S Diet * Shovelglove * Urban Ranger
HabitCal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterJoin! It's free and easy. 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tex Ark Check In
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> Daily Check In
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TexArk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

December has been the easiest it has ever been. Of course it helps not to be overwhelmed with travel and baking of goodies which used to be my life. Pretty laid back now in retirement years.

Weight has been consistent at 154. Of course, in the back of my mind, I still have 150 as a magic number because that would be a bmi in the normal range. That might happen over the year. I have gone down from 160 since March very slowly with the idea of maintaining.

But best of all...I think I own the no snacking pattern even in my subconscious. It is just not a consideration. I also learned over the years that I am an abstainer instead of a moderator. I have not eaten sugar in over a year and that is so much easier than thinking about it. I would do so if there was an occasion that presented itself, but I am no longer thinking about it or planning those events. It is not a rule. It is my choice. Cravings are gone. Why has it taken me 50 years to get to this place???
automatedeating

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life is a bumpy journey. I too often wonder about lessons I wish I had learned when I was younger, but I suppose that is not a good use of my time, haha! I'm happy for you, though, and I really relate. I think I am also a bit better as an abstainer, but I do make sugar exceptions (e.g. I had a piece of my kiddo's birthday cake last night).

Glad to hear you are in a good place.
Octavia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...I ALMOST have the no snacking thing in my subconscious....and in fact I reckon my first Mod, allowing an apple and a banana as snacks, undermined the habit to a large degree. I think I need to go back to Vanilla, and just make sure I get my healthy fruit as part of meals. In fact you’ve helped to galvanise me, Tex! Thank you Smile
TexArk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Octavia,

It really helps to think about how my body will never burn any extra stored fat from my liver, etc. and will just keep using the available glucose in my blood if I send it food all the time. We really do need to fast between meals like we used to do before all the snacking started up, and I am also getting more comfortable with 2 meals a day when convenient.

I am going to enjoy a Christmas Eve meal and have some sweets on Christmas Day but no longer is the Holiday eating from Thanksgiving to New Year's! I am also only having the one meal this evening. My daughter and I are going to bake cookies tomorrow to try out a new recipe. However, they will not be in my house after Christmas Day.
TexArk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made it through the Holidays without gaining! Yea me! I did have some sweets but I think the key was not to start up the grazing and second plates.

Here is the Year's report.
Way back 10 years ago I started NoS at about 175. But, of course, I had my ups and downs. By January 2017 I was back up to 191.6 with a bmi of 31.9. Obese! So back to serious NoS. Result: End of Dec. 2017 167.

Jan 1 2018 166.5 bmi 27.7
Dec 31 2018 154 bmi 25.6

Trend Analysis:
Max. trend for year 167.2
Max. trend for 6 mo. 160.9
Max. trend for quarter 157.4
Max trend for month 156.2
Max. trend for week 154.4

Loss per week:
For 2018 .27 lbs. per week
last month .52 lbs. per week

I declared myself at maintenance at 160 and even though I was still in the slightly overweight bmi category I felt healthy and had gone down in sizes and looked good for a 71 year old. My mindset changed to maintaining, but I kept weighing daily because that is just what I have learned I have to do. If I do not weigh in, I seem to be in denial. I do know I can go up and down which is why I like the trend analysis. If anyone else is reading this, please note that the average weight loss for the year was about 1/4 lb. That is so slow as not to be noticed which is another reason I record my weight. I think it takes a long, long time for the body to get regulated at a new set point. I am a firm believer in the no snacking rule as well as pushing the overnight fast to 16 hrs. I think that has been key to resetting my set point. I also think leaving sugar alone except for rare special occasions has been a turning point for me.

So, off to another year of maintaining. I may slowly, slowly lose 4 more pounds which would put me in the 25 bmi range. But I am not fretting over a number! It is the daily habits of NoS that I want to continue to firm up.
automatedeating

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love your numbers-head. Smile I too like to do these reflections and track.

And I just posted a vent on poor WhosonFirst's thread saying something to the effect of not weighing for many = unwilling to stop overeating, same as your denial thing. Totally true for me.

So here's to a year of maintenance and many different growing experiences for you! I hope there are a lot of people in your life that get to reap the benefits of your wisdom from walking around on this planet for 71 years.
ladybird30

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TexArk wrote:
I think it takes a long, long time for the body to get regulated at a new set point. I am a firm believer in the no snacking rule as well as pushing the overnight fast to 16 hrs. I think that has been key to resetting my set point. I also think leaving sugar alone except for rare special occasions has been a turning point for me.

Thanks for that TexArk. After 5 months in my current weight range, I am also hoping to reduce my setpoint a little more, but it is taking a long time at 63. I also weigh daily, as I would rather know if my weight is starting to creep up again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> Daily Check In All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: