Kittson's Yearly Check-In

(New!) Read (or post) about people who have stuck with No-S for 10 or more months, lost 10 or more pounds, or 10 or more percent for their starting weight. Periodic updates strongly encouraged -- you can think of it as "Yearly Check In."

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Kittson

Kittson's Yearly Check-In

Post by Kittson » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:53 pm

Today marks my one year anniversary of starting No S. I was a healthy weight to start with and I can happily say that No S has allowed me to maintain my weight for one year!!

I have a history of yo-yo dieting, so maintenance is absolutely wonderful for me to achieve. The year wasn’t without a few bumps in the road, but I can happily say that No S is it for me. It’s what works for me.

No S has allowed me to enjoy all the other parts of my life that were neglected the years that I spent focused on food and weight. I am LIVING life and not allowing myself to be distracted by calorie counting or left exhausted from excessive exercise.

Some things have happened or that I've noticed/learned
1. The debate over food is gone. "Should I/Shouldn't I eat this" and "BUT I WANT IT" don't happen anymore. That makes me feel so much peace.
2. Hunger isn't going to hurt me. It's normal to be hungry for meal time.
3. Food is being enjoyed again. I don't dread what food does for me, I enjoy how it makes me feel, because on N days I'm never over full.
4. Negative self-talk is quiet unless I “overdo” an S day.
5. I’m not punishing my overeating with exercise because there isn’t any overeating.
6. I now use mild exercise, it’s what my body likes. T-Tapp and walking. Anything more intense it affects my sleep and energy levels.
7. I’ve become an audioaddict - I’ve listened to over 30 audio books in the past year. Every Jane Austen novel, 3 Outlander novels, most of the Anne of Green Gables series, and many many more. I am so thankful for finally taking the time to listen to these, they’ve brought such joy to my life.
8. My relationships are better. Husband is benefitting immensely from the lack of my negative self-talk. I FEEL good = better self image/no negative self-talk = transferring my good feelings to others.
9. I feel more present with my son. Huge for me!
10. I am saving money. No Snacking means my grocery bill has been cut by 2 mini-meals per day.
11. Good habits are transferring to others - just a few weeks ago my husband finally got on board. I didn’t push him, that never works. I actually didn’t even tell him I was doing No S until after a month or so into starting. He sees that it works.
12. I have feelings of gratitude when I eat. I have never been one to be thankful for food. It’s easy for me to acquire, easy to come by. Now that I am hungry for meals I am very thankful for the meal I am getting.

So that’s the good. The year hasn’t been all roses though! I went through a rough patch over the holidays where I went back to calorie counting. I am most likely to revert back to dieting behavior when stressed and the holidays will trigger that. Next year I will be ready for the urge to calorie count. I should mention that I didn’t lose a SINGLE POUND while restricting and actually gained weight from the “refeed” after stopping the counting. Biology is nothing to mess around with and restricting/counting will leave you heavier than before! I’m just finally starting to regulate down to my normal size and feeling great again.

Some of my words of wisdom would be to fill your plates when you first start. Also be aware of your triggers. I absolutely cannot read healthy living/lifestyle blogs, look at fitspo, etc. All these things make me want to calorie count, restrict, over-exercise, etc.

Thank you to Reinhard for developing No S. I am forever grateful for the amazing year I had living in moderation. I will update again next year. :)

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:26 am

Cogratulations Kittson!
I'm glad NoS is working so well for you!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

minimizer

Post by minimizer » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:44 pm

Congratulations! Wonderful read!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:12 pm

Congratulations, Kittson!

"Maintenance is more important that progress" and great to see another, successful and thoughtfully expressed example of it here.

Love that somehow audiodidact slipped into there too! The everyday systems do work well together, sometimes in mysterious ways... I tremendously enjoy Jane Austin in audio as well (try Trollope when you get a chance -- also very funny, yet human and warm, with a great reader in Timothy West, and an almost inexhaustible supply of novels).

Reinhard

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:25 pm

Hear, hear, Kittson! Our society needs more women (and men) at peace with food and not fretting over her body. AND not chasing after the worshipped snack.

I lead a No S team on another site, with Reinhard's permission. May I excerpt some of your post with them?
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:42 pm

Just saw your post on the Skier. Mazel tov!

Your junior high basement gym sounds like what i see when I peek into Crossfit doors. I guess this is what we get now that we can't spend our days running down game and scouring the countryside for lunch.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:12 pm

oolala53 wrote:
I lead a No S team on another site, with Reinhard's permission. May I excerpt some of your post with them?
Yes, of course! :)

Reinhard - thanks for the suggestion of Trollope - I will add him to my Audible Wish List!

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:30 pm

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your success story!
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!