Thanks No S!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

liveitup

Thanks No S!

Post by liveitup » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:24 am

What I needed was even less than the advice in Food Rules. Maybe a few pages from Food Rules was enough. Or, some advice from one of my grandparents, or myself 16 years ago could have helped. What I did know was that I definitely did not need to learn something new. I had already indulged in articles of what foods were supposed to good for me, how many calories I should be getting, and considering protein, carbs, and fiber. That’s a dead end.

Then I stumbled across this, and No S completely shifted how I think about food. I already knew this. It's like a light switch being turned back on after years of being off. Really! It shifted me back to what I was taught as a kid and back to those good habits I had already learned from my grandparents, but forgotten about. It’s about habit, not choice. It’s consistent and good habits.

I decided subconsciously, at some point after college, that it was totally alright to change how I eat. I would skip breakfast sometimes, eat a giant lunch most of the time, always grab snacks for the road, have a couple servings of dinner, and grab some midnight snacks before bed. Totally normal. Then, on the weekends, I’d start with a big breakfast and repeat the rest.

If I could go back and remind myself, Hey! You used to eat mostly meals! Remember those silly old things? You know, you put food on a plate and ate it like a normal person. You didn’t snack or have seconds or thirds. In college, I was -- and only in this aspect, believe me -- more civilized than I had been for 14 years after that: I’d have a quick light breakfast, a decent lunch at the cafeteria, and a reasonably sized dinner most days of the week. I’d also have my share of beer on the weekends, don’t get me wrong. I used to and still do. It wasn’t health food by any means, but it was reasonably well balanced, (I rarely ate fast food anyway, giving the finger to big corporations, ah college!). I was fit enough and healthy enough then. I hadn’t realized that I had changed the way I eat after college.

Instead, one day I realized I was getting fat. I was on the far end of overweight, approaching obese. So, I focused for years. On all the wrong damn things. I’m eating too many carbs, I thought. Pizza is out, too greasy. Switch to light beer. Eat a salad for lunch. Never buy white bread, I’d say, even if it’s delicious sourdough. Never drink soda, even though I rarely did anyway. Never get a latte, black coffee has no calories. Always order the healthiest thing on the menu. Snacks? Still totally cool. Seconds? Yeah, no problem, it’s whole wheat bread pudding, so it’s fine, see? This was terrible advice! What about the elephant in the room?

Now, I’m back to a good and easy eating habit thanks to the delightfully simple advice here. The anxiety about food choices is gone. I’ve never said that before. I eat three meals a day of something that looks reasonably well balanced and never fret over details in the food. I’m losing weight. I’m not struggling nor obsessing. I feel like I can finally say that I’ve solved it. I’m content here. THANK YOU!

osoniye

Re: Thanks No S!

Post by osoniye » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:09 am

Thanks so much for an eloquent summary of what we do and why! This will help me hold on to a green day today!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

Cindy1969

Post by Cindy1969 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:53 pm

Just on Day 2 - great read. Your before sounds a lot like me. So many complicated rules that we thought would help us to lose weight. I gotta believe this will work - helps to read all the others who have found success with this.
"Take the time."

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:27 pm

Great thoughts here! And as osoniye put it, it's a good summer of what we do and why.

An excellent reminder to stay moderate and keep to 3 meals a day, just like our grandparents/parents and our childhood selves did.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:01 pm

Love your post! I'm tired of all the diet rules, too!

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:03 pm

Love your post! I'm tired of all the diet rules, too!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:52 am

Thanks for coming on and telling us. You are part of the tribe now, whether you post again or not.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

liveitup

Post by liveitup » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:54 am

Thanks for the support! I'm on month 3 now, started early Februrary, and have lost 6 pounds with this advice. It's not the big numbers you get with calorie counting, but it's so much more sustainable. Anyway, glad to be a tribe member!

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:50 pm

High Five!
I totally agree - the FREEDOM and reduction in stress is wonderful - three meals a day - easy!

I have to say, I still get 'wobbled' by the 'expert' food advice re cabs/fats etc - but I don't let the wobbles knock me off No S.
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

Merry

Post by Merry » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:10 pm

liveitup wrote:Thanks for the support! I'm on month 3 now, started early Februrary, and have lost 6 pounds with this advice. It's not the big numbers you get with calorie counting, but it's so much more sustainable. Anyway, glad to be a tribe member!
Yes, much more sustainable (and enjoyable, I think!). Congratulations on your losses :-).
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation