Everyday Systems
Home * Discussion Home
No S Diet * Shovelglove * Urban Ranger
HabitCal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterJoin! It's free and easy. 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why did you leave? Why are you back?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> No S Diet General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elegantportions

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't count myself as ever actually leaving NoS, but I wanted to put this here to call everyone's attention to the Sticky of the Stickies.
My last post was my Year 2 testimonial in late 2015, included as a reply on Year 1.
Sorry, I would include a link to that post, but it's been so long since I have been here that I don't remember how.

New CatchPhrase: Don't go tharn!
(Showing my age here)
From the book Watership Down by Richard Adams (1972), "tharn" is the term used when animals see the headlights of oncoming cars and are frozen in terror...
Or think about the 1971 movie Andromeda Strain when one of the scientists almost fails to save the world because she goes into a trance instead of responding appropriately when she sees all the red warning lights...

My HabitCal reveals everything:
2014 avg 5 reds per month, just learning the habits, losing excess weight slowly
2015 avg 2 reds per month until Dec, still losing

NoS Book, p. 142: "Be honest about failures, and limit them. One day is regrettable but inevitable. Two in a row is pushing it. And it should never be more than that. Don't beat yourself up, just hit the brakes hard. Marking green, yellow, and red (respectively) for success, exemption, and failure on a Habit Traffic Light calendar helps. Just make sure not to stop marking when you run into a failure; that's the most important thing to mark."

Dec 2015 & Jan 2016 were almost solid red.
I can't believe I kept marking (with varying success) through Oct 2016, all the while slowly regaining excess weight.
2017 was spent in denial, still gaining.

So, here I am, BMI worse than when I started and 4 years older, but hopefully wiser.
Last week was solid green.

A few things I have learned during my dereliction:

If I eat like a newborn 8x a day, then I gain weight like a newborn.

I really do not want to eat chips every single weekday lunch, and my default 3-oz. bowl full will definitely NOT fit on my lunch plate.
If oversize portions feed an oversize body, then the corollary must also be true: Right-size portions feed a right-size body.

I can easily eat enough to more than compensate for lugging a baby around all day.

No Snacks means the kitchen is closed between dinner and breakfast.
"Just a few" jelly beans after dinner leads to permasnacking until bedtime.
If I have cravings, just drink some water and either take a walk or go to bed NOW.

I really do need to check in at least once a month for accountability and encouragement.
It's great to see old friends still on board!
oolala53

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing your observations. It's so easy to get lured by the excess messages, even if the messages are encoded in the food- esp. the packaged stuff. Cool

Is this what you meant about a previous post? If not, let me know if you want me to delete it.
"Year 2 UPDATE: Another year of success sort of following NoS!

Soon after posting this testimonial last year, I got serious and actually followed vanilla NoS for awhile. But my weight remained stable, and I knew I needed to figure out ELEGANT portion sizes. So for awhile I counted bites and was thoroughly shocked at how little food really is a decent portion for my body and activity level.

Without any particular goal in mind, I conducted an experiment paying more attention to just how I felt eating less and less food within the framework of NoS. Within a few months I found a "good" level of hunger (just hungry enough for the next meal), and dropped the bite counting. I began to see numbers on the scale I haven't seen since 2003!

Then just before the holidays, we brought a newborn foster baby home from the hospital. I dropped Shovelglove in favor of lifting & carrying this other weight that was 7 lbs. & daily growing. My activity level in no way resembled what it had been for the previous 6 months and I would have STARVED had I not begun eating more. Habitwise the holidays were terrible, and yes, I definitely overdid the upward adjustment.

But my weight remains within the normal range, I am at peace with food, and NoS gives me the framework of sanity I need to live life without having to give food more attention than it deserves."
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/13-24.9 Stayed at +/- 8-lb. for three years Sept/17 22.8 (but more fluctuation)
Mar/18 22.2

There is no S better than Vanilla No S.
Over43

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noni wrote:
It's the first time I didn't eat all the skin off the turkey while carving it.
(I think I left this on the wrong post and don't know how to get rid of it)

The skin is the best part Very Happy

Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79
elegantportions

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Oolala, that was the post I meant.
Thank you very much for digging it up for me.
oolala53

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went to the Testimonials forum.

I hope to see your update there sometime.
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/13-24.9 Stayed at +/- 8-lb. for three years Sept/17 22.8 (but more fluctuation)
Mar/18 22.2

eschano

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!
I was successful with NoS 2012-2016 and lost 20pounds sustainably on it. I stopped when I got pregnant with my first child in 2016 as I felt extremely nauseated for four months and nothing other than constant snacking was helping. So I swapped one habit for permasnacking yet again. My first daughter was also a shocking sleeper and up every 1 1/2hours all night until she was 9 months old and still rarely sleeps through now so sleep deprivation didn’t help one bit and I didn’t really manage to get back on NoS before I got pregnant with my second around my firstborn’s first birthday. Now that the little one is 12weeks and a much better sleeper I feel like I can start in earnest again.
Obviously none of these are valid excuses as I know of enough people who successfully did NoS while pregubut I’m just not one of them.
My main triggers are:
-Tiredness
-Food leftover on my toddler’s plate that I would happily wolf down
-boredom
-being in the house a lot with access to food

Ultimately, I know NoS is the right way for me. I was happy and healthy and had a good relationship with food and my body. I won’t even consider any other diet again. NoS healed me in so many ways I didn’t think possible and impacted positively on my mental health, my partnership, and my family and I crave that structure again.

July 2012- January 2016
Started again July 2018
Sammybunny711

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of your stories are so inspiring! I did No S for a brief period of time back in the day and just got tantalized by all the other diets out there. I also modified the HECK out of No S to "fit my lifestyle". Well this time? NO MODS. I'm going to stick to vanilla No S starting today. I have always been able to do extremes but not balanced habits. That changes today. I'm going to be able to do this. I KNOW I can. The community here and on the Facebook group will be big factors in this success, I just know it. Thanks for always supporting each other. We can do this! GO US.
Goal Weight: 120-125 range

*^..^711
oolala53

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=11826
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/18 22.2

naeman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left because I had trouble sticking to the habits, and even when I did for a month or so I tended to maintain instead of lose.

I came back because nothing else has worked for me. I've been in a somewhat frantic state of feeling hopeful about a new diet, giving up after a week or two, and then feeling horribly down until I think of a different angle to try a new diet from. I realized that there was no chance of succeeding in the long run if I didn't just stick to something.

I've decided to think about things a little differently this time. I want to approach the diet in a way that optimizes my chances of sticking with it. Instead of tracking binary success or failure on N days, I've split my tracking into three habits: snacks, sweets, and seconds. If I mess up an have a snack, I mark that one red for the day, but I still haven't failed completely and there's a reason to keep resisting sweets and seconds.

I've also decided to weigh myself only twice a month. In the past I've judged a diet by how sustainable it is and how much weight I'm losing with it. Seeing my weight stay the same or go up for a short period of time inevitably leads to giving up on the plan. Weight loss is my ultimate goal, but there are other good reasons to stick with No S until i can find a way to lose weight on it. So I'm not going to judge my success by weight loss, at least not initially.

I plan to get about 60 successful days in each N day habit (in a row) and seeing where that puts me before I start trying to work on my mindset for S days. I'm three weeks in and although I've had some slipups I've kept going and have felt no temptation to stop. Here's hoping this time works for me long term.
eschano

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very much hope it works for you too. Interesting approach, will follow it closely

July 2012- January 2016
Started again July 2018
ladybird30

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi naeman, welcome back and good luck with your new approach. I didn't lose any weight for the first month I was on the forum as I was still adjusting how much I needed to eat.

I think that one of the reasons No S has worked for me is that I have regarded it as a way of permanently changing my eating habits rather than a temporary diet. By using the rules to cut out excess food my weight has gradually come down over the last year or so.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> No S Diet General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: