Cedar check in Vanilla No S

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

cedar

Cedar check in Vanilla No S

Post by cedar » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:17 pm

My plan is to follow Vanilla No S and 14mins shovelglove (or any movement) daily.
I've been doing my own kind of version of no s..3 meals with sweets if I want and I've noticed that my 'sweets' are getting larger and I feel that a meal isn't complete without a piece of chocolate to end it..I originally included sweets in my meals because I was going wild on s day and it felt horrible..but I've noticed that I'm still kind of going wild on s days and my rules during the week are too washy washy.. I kind of change them depending on how I feel..for example I'll grab a little extra food to add to a meal rather than sticking to a single plate..so today is day 1 of vanilla no s..
Also I've gained weight (surprise surprise) and all my pants are tight and that won't do..as much as I've read about accepting yourself and buying bigger clothes I can't afford to buy a new wardrobe every time I gain weight..especially when I know there is a sensible solution that works. I've simply been eating too much!!! As much as I appreciate the whole fat acceptance and not body shaming I know within myself I feel better at a slimmer weight and when I'm not fooling myself about my food and movement so day 1..
Breakfast - eggs and yogurt and an orange with coffee
Lunch- sardines on toast with carrot and spinach leaves and some pate on the side
Dinner-salad with potato sausage carrot and egg
Great..day 1 complete!!

cedar

Post by cedar » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:47 am

Green for today..3 generous meals and 14mins shovelglove

Plus walking and netball..a good day.
Note: Adding fat to meals and making sure I eat enough protein really helps me feel satisfied between meals.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:08 pm

Hi, Cedar. I started in 2010, lost about 14 kilos in 2 years, then fell off the wagon, and regained 5 kilos in the last year. I've had similar problem as you: not being strict enough, and letting sweets sneak onto my plates. Trying to do better this time, and maybe lose some weight in the process. Good luck!

cedar

Post by cedar » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:23 pm

Thanks Imogen, only regaining 5 from 14kgs lost is still pretty good though. It really is the best this No S..good luck to you too :D

cedar

Post by cedar » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:27 am

Green today :D
14 mins SG and 3meals.
I had my shift times change today so I ate BF at 7.30am and didn't get to eat lunch until 2.30 which was fine but I found I was really hungry for dinner at about 5pm and was watching the clock..so ate earlier than normal at 6pm..so if I'm hungry before bed I'll have a hot milk otherwise I won't sleep too well.
We'll see.. I feel good though I just want to put my head down and focus on habits..not weight.

cedar

Post by cedar » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:02 pm

Green for yesterday. I resisted a delicious muffin at morning Tea then we went to dinner for my husbands birthday and I did some virtual plating which was fine and I resisted the custard bun for dessert..gold stars for me today
:lol:
I didn't do my 14mins sg though and I missed it..so this morning I've done it and feel great.

Green for today. Really would love a piece of dark chocolate right now but I can wait until tomorrow yay!!

cedar

Post by cedar » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:07 am

Weekend was great..not too wild at all..and while I didn't think about it at the time I pretty much stuck to meals with sweet endings rather than all day snacking. It's actually a public holiday today but I am not taking an s day, I'm happy and determined to really get this no s habit set in stone as much as possible.
It really does help to remind myself of habit not weight loss..

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:27 am

Go cedar, you're off to a great start. I'm with you on clothes - can't afford a new work wardrobe, gotta fit my existing one!

Hope you had a good ANZAC day. We didn't make a dawn service , but watched the WA one. I usually don't make it an S day as there isn't a food focus day.

jackn

Post by jackn » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:10 pm

Looking up, Cedar.
Good for you.

Let's all keep on the path.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

cedar

Post by cedar » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:50 am

Thanks ironchef and jackn. I feel really solid with my No S which is great. It's my sons birthday today and I made (as requested) chocolate mud cake..I normally would take an S day, and think that it's important to do so as that's real life, but I'm feeling really determined to get my 21days under my belt so I'm going to push on as an N day. I will freeze a piece and enjoy on the weekend. Yum.
14 mins SG this morning and about to take my walk around the park..also did a little bike ride up to the shops so a nice light active day.

I know I haven't lost weight, my plates are generous and I feel only very slight hunger between meals..I'm really happy with my compliance though but I guess in the future after a few months of solid habit I may look at what's on my plate/ or upping my exercise if I'm not losing even slightly. But my focus is on habit and routine and not feeling crazy about diet or food so in that respect I'm right on track :D . :lol:

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:32 am

cedar wrote:I will freeze a piece and enjoy on the weekend. Yum.
Good for you! Great strategy!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

cedar

Post by cedar » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:59 am

Thanks osoniye..it's waiting patiently in the freezer for me to enjoy on Saturday. This time around I feel I'm having more successful S days because I'm making note during the week of treats I want to enjoy on my S days.

Today green success for all habits. 3 meals no snacks no sweets no seconds 14mins sg walk around park plus I went for a big walk with a friend after school drop off as work shift was cancelled :D

cedar

Post by cedar » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:41 am

Green today x3 habits -no s; 14mins sg and walk around park :D

Feeling great, I'm loving my very basic 'normal' meals..like a simple sandwich plus yogurt and fruit (like a normal person!!!) and dinner a chicken and veg pie with vegies and mash potato on the side..delish!

cedar

Post by cedar » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:48 am

Today has been hard..!!!!
I've been cruising along nicely, but today was just one of those days that I could have just picked and grazed all day long. My children had a pupil free day so I had to take the day off work and it just felt like Saturday..I also hardly had any sleep last night so I felt tired and wanting food for energy I guess..plus it has not stopped raining and it's cold and we've been stuck inside all day..BUT I've stuck to my 2 meals so far..dinner to come..no snacks or sweets or seconds. I ate an extra big lunch to get me through..a little funny stuff with a bite or 3 before I sat down to my plate but it would have fit on my plate so I'm not calling it a fail..
I haven't done SG x14mins or my walk around the park..but I will so I'm going to mark it on the habitcal now so I do it!! I'm finding those little green squares very motivating. And tomorrow is an S day and I'm thoroughly going to enjoy it..it's my sons birthday party so it will be great to have party food and cake. Thank goodness for cups of tea and chewing gum!!

cedar

Post by cedar » Mon May 02, 2016 6:34 am

My s days were a bit over the top. I was feeling quite down about them but when I stopped and thought about how much I actually did eat it really wasn't that over the top..it's really just because my eating was not seperated into 3 distinct meals that it feels like I just overate the whole weekend. I can see that even though it doesn't feel good, I like the freedom of s days, and that they are important. There really is no point at all in worrying about them. My N days are what I need to focus on and I'm having really successful N day habits and compliance.

I ate a little less at breakfast today just to experiment as I don't feel as frantic about having to eat a lot to 'get me through'. I feel comfortable tolerating hunger between meals..but I don't want to push it too much at this stage as it's really about compliance and building habits not weight loss at this stage.

Today green :). No snacking no sweets and no seconds..good old vanilla.
14mins SG + walk around the park.
Netball tonight also.

cedar

Post by cedar » Tue May 03, 2016 9:54 am

Green today :D
Missed park walk as it was raining but played netball so great to be active plus did 14mins SG. I marked red on calendar fir failing to do park walk as I'm determined to be 'comically strict".
3 meals..no snacks no sweets no seconds :D .

cedar

Post by cedar » Wed May 04, 2016 11:29 am

Green today for all 3 habits :)

cedar

Post by cedar » Thu May 05, 2016 10:03 am

Green x 3. :D

cedar

Post by cedar » Fri May 06, 2016 9:07 am

Green x 3. Looking forward to a nice piece of cake tomorrow!
Feeling good :lol:

jackn

Post by jackn » Fri May 06, 2016 1:27 pm

Third time's a charm.

Kudos.

Keep it up.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

cedar

Post by cedar » Sun May 08, 2016 2:20 am

Thanks Jackn..appreciate it.

I'm feeling really solid with my n day habits and trying to trust the process regarding s days calming down. I actually am not craving sweets but I'm grazing through the day on s days and I'm finding it really dissatisfying...yet I keep doing it. I know s days are important and I'm just trying to make mental notes for myself to notice how I feel on s days verse n days rather than making any mods or rules at this stage.

Today it's Mother's Day and I completed an 8km fun run which I actually ran all the way with a sore foot and all..so I'm quietly chuffed with myself and looking forward to a nice dinner out with my husband and children. Yay.

jackn

Post by jackn » Sun May 08, 2016 4:18 am

Interesting about the S-Day issues and how you handle them by waiting it out till things settle down.

Was it a group run?
Or, do you do this regularly, on your own?
8km is no mean feat.

Hope dinner went off well.
Happy Mother's Day. S-Day, too?
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

cedar

Post by cedar » Sun May 08, 2016 11:23 am

Yes thanks jackn, it was a group run held every year on Mother's Day for cancer research. I have an injured foot from netball so I planned to just walk it but got caught up in the adrenalin I guess and ran the whole way.

We ended up seeing a movie and then dinner at home as we were all tired, but we enjoyed some gelato before the movie which was nice. Yes it was an s day for me today.
Looking forward to a consistent n week to make my 21 days..

:D

cedar

Post by cedar » Mon May 09, 2016 12:29 pm

Green today for all 3 habits.

I almost didn't do 14mins SG but I ended up doing it before my netball game as a pre-warm up..so I'm very proud of myself because I did it even though I had a million excuses why not.
Had a really hard game of netball tonight, we were thrashed but it was really fun and challenging.

I'm not losing weight..and I'm wondering if it's time to think about that..I'm feeling so good and natural with no s I don't want to push things..I want to trust the process. I know I'm comparing no s with other diets where I would have seen a difference on the scale by now..but look how well they worked. I keep telling myself.."even if I don't lose a single gram..the sanity and calmness I'm feeling in regards to eating is worth it.."

jackn

Post by jackn » Mon May 09, 2016 5:53 pm

I agree, Cedar.

For what it's worth, I saw some fat loss at the beginning, and that pretty much stood still for a month or so.

Now, again, I'm losing, slowly, I think (no measurements).
Most of all, I'm beginning to notice that I only can and want to eat less. I'm quite sure where this will lead.

Anyway, like you, I like the quiet cruising and would never look back at any of the wonder diets.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

cedar

Post by cedar » Wed May 11, 2016 11:52 am

Interesting about your weight Jackn..I feel I've got more muscle and my body has changed slightly but no weight loss at all even though I've had perfect compliance.
Fortunately I'm healthy and fit and I'm feeling sane with food..I really do. I also feel well and my moods and energy are balanced..so I'm taking note of these things over weight.

Yesterday and today = green x 3 habits :lol:

jackn

Post by jackn » Wed May 11, 2016 5:55 pm

cedar wrote:I feel I've got more muscle and my body has changed slightly but no weight loss at all even though I've had perfect compliance.
Fortunately I'm healthy and fit and I'm feeling sane with food..I really do. I also feel well and my moods and energy are balanced..so I'm taking note of these things over weight.
Yes, I hear you.
While the belt hasn't moved a lot, body is distinctly more defined.
What you say about feelings and mood is beautiful and encouraging.

As to 'perfect compliance'.
To each his own, but, for what's it worth, I'll mention that I thought I was eating too much, simply by the discomfort after a meal, noticing that I was forcing myself at times, and eating out of fear of later hunger. The usual suspects.
And I made very slight modifications. I mean minuscule.
Although I still think I eat too much, it feels closer to right.

Keep getting those ducks, namely 3greens, in a row.
Good luck to us all.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

cedar

Post by cedar » Thu May 12, 2016 10:07 pm

Thanks Jackn. Yes I'm able to 'risk' eating a little less at a meal, as I know I can handle hunger, but I'm still careful to err on the side of more for the time being as I'm really determined this is for life. And if it takes me a year to lose a single kilogram then so be it.

Yesterday was green for all 3.
We had friends over to watch a movie last night and they brought pizza then I put out chocolate and sweets..I decided not to call it an S day in the morning I thought I'd see how I went and if I wanted to eat some sweets I'd just call it a fail. But I didn't eat the sweets..I just kept thinking "I can wait for Saturday"..yay! If I really wanted them I would have enjoyed but I really was fine, it just doesn't feel right unless it's an s day. So it's a really bright green for me!
Today I feel tired and I'm happy it's Friday.

jackn

Post by jackn » Fri May 13, 2016 5:21 am

cedar wrote:Thanks Jackn. Yes I'm able to 'risk' eating a little less at a meal, as I know I can handle hunger, but I'm still careful to err on the side of more for the time being as I'm really determined this is for life. And if it takes me a year to lose a single kilogram then so be it.
Absolutely.
Please note I only diminished meals little, and only because they felt too much. I don't go by one plate sizing.

Didn't mean to push anything, and you know you're managing things great.

Good luck to all of us.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri May 13, 2016 5:35 am

Terrific job cedar! I'm so glad it's feeling right to only eat sweets on S day. The power of habit is really kicking in. So much better than white knuckling it!

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Fri May 13, 2016 7:28 am

great progress, cedar!!

being able to not be afraid of a little bit of hunger and postponing sweets for s-days are huge skills you seem to be mastering so well! im inspired!
and bravo for all the sports you are doing... 8km with injured foot - impressive!!
BMI: 18.8
Body Fat %: 17.6
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!

cedar

Post by cedar » Fri May 13, 2016 7:30 am

Thanks for the encouragement Jackn and Ipearlmom and Kaalii! Much appreciated.

Yes power of habit is working..Though I found today hard as I was tired from a late night and, being Friday, I just struggled a little with cravings..but I ate an extra big lunch. In the afternoon I made a tea with sugar which isn't something I normally do but it really did the trick..it was delicious!
I didn't do my 14mins shovelglove..so fail there but I took a nice bike ride and vigorously cleaned the house before work so I still feel I've achieved.

A client gave me a delicious piece of Greek custard cake which is waiting in the fridge for me tomorrow..I may enjoy for breakfast! :lol:

Green x 2 no s and park walk
Red x 1 shovelglove

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat May 14, 2016 6:08 am

Some days are harder than others but you stuck it out so good job!

Man that cake sounds good. I'm off to search for a recipe. &#128521;

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sat May 14, 2016 7:55 am

Saving that cake for Saturday is a great SUCCESS! well done :D
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

cedar

Post by cedar » Sat May 14, 2016 1:03 pm

Thanks linda and rawcookie..yes it was good to save the cake (it was delicious..I'm not sure of the recipe I'm sorry!) but I've had a hideous over the top s day and I'm feeling really annoyed with myself..!
I've had the custard cake, some lollies, chocolate and 2 serves of ice cream apple pie and custard as well as 2 regular meals. I actually physically don't feel terrible but I just know I've gone overboard and I'm horrified. I listened to 's days gone wild' podcast which is really great and I decided last night not to introduce any mods but (as Reinhard suggests) come on here and publicly declare my s's. I feel really embarrassed to do so but that's the point I guess!!
Hopefully tomorrow is a much saner day!!! :oops:

jackn

Post by jackn » Sat May 14, 2016 1:17 pm

Par for the course, Cedar.
NoS(weat).

We're on a journey.
Bon voyage.

And a S(aner)-Day tomorrow.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat May 14, 2016 3:01 pm

Don't feel embarrassed! We've all been there and even after a few years of doing this I still have over the top S days. In fact they're just starting to look better.

I found this old S day from my 2013 thread:
"Of course my S days are still reminiscence of my old way of eating... Today I ate quite a bit. Fun, yes but I feel a bit ill. Hopefully tomorrow I can reign it in a bit....

Chocolate candies, yogurt, mocha, bread w cheese & prosciutto, sweet iced tea, sushi, beer, pizza, cookies, milk.... Oh my! "

And that's not even the worst of the bunch. But yes just take note of how it feels and eventually your S days will look more like your N days with a few treats thrown in.

Linda

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Sat May 14, 2016 3:20 pm

Even days where you feel like you go too big can be good!! You get it out of your system so you're able to get through your green days which are the ones that really matter (: When I have a few green days that are hard I usually let myself off the hook for enjoying my S days a little more & having them be a little bigger!! They make it so I don't burn out. I have go be careful not to be too hard on myself. It might mean I lose weight a little more slowly some weeks, but it's better than burning myself out!!

cedar

Post by cedar » Sun May 15, 2016 10:14 am

Thank you lovely people for the good advice. I know it's all par for the course and there is no point being too concerned about s days..I guess it's just strange that I feel so solid with my n days..yet yesterday I felt so out of control. It was also not just what I ate but HOW I ate..

Today was a much calmer s day..basicly my 3 regular meals with a dessert after dinner and a mid morning biscuit with a coffee. I'm still full from yesterday I think! Anyway..happy to be here..I want to do another 21green days..let's see how I go.

Went for a nice bike ride with my family and a walk around the park..plus lots of washing while the weather was sunny.

jackn

Post by jackn » Sun May 15, 2016 11:41 am

cedar wrote: It was also not just what I ate but HOW I ate..
Yes, I see.

The humiliation I feel at what and how I eat at times.
It's about way more than figure.
It's about my dignity and self-love.

They do both matter, the what and the how, don't they?!
And have to do with how we feel.

Looks like things are back to, er... Normal.

Good luck to all of us.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

cedar

Post by cedar » Mon May 16, 2016 8:24 am

Yes they do both matter Jackn..the what and the why. You are so right..it's about much more than figure..hmmmm

Things to ponder..
or not..today was a normal n day..green for all 3 habits and it just felt normal and no thought required at all so I'm just going to keep on going and in a month or 2 if I'm still concerned with my s days I may introduce "s events".. :?:

Netball tonight and lots of incidental walking that really added up.

Hope your day was a good one.

jackn

Post by jackn » Mon May 16, 2016 9:52 am

Sounds great, Cedar.

Keep it up.

Good luck to us all.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

cedar

Post by cedar » Tue May 17, 2016 11:19 am

Green for all 3 habits today.

I played 2 games of netball today I was asked straight after finishing my game to fill in so I'm counting that as my 14 mins because I'm sore but feel great. I walked to a friends house then we walked up to pick our children up from school so that's my park walk.

Feeling great..I ate very nourishing basic meals today..eggs with spinach and cheese and coffee breakfast. A huge salad with ham, roast pumpkin and mayonaise dressing for lunch with a mandarin. Chicken snitzel with potato and steamed veg with butter and half a glass of red wine. The meals were very generous I felt I needed them with 3 hard games of netball.

I feel a calmness and steadiness I can't quite put into words re. this way of eating..

jackn

Post by jackn » Tue May 17, 2016 4:51 pm

Wow, sounds like you're doing great.

Glad to discover someone else who has a savory, full meal breakfast.

Your seem to feel at once free and satisfied with the way you're eating and exercising.
Great.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue May 17, 2016 4:53 pm

Sounds like a great day! Exercise that's fun and/or just part of our daily activities is the way to do it.

I love your use of the word "nourishing". Whenever I say "healthy eating" I still think as just another way of saying dieting. Nourishing sounds like food that's good for the body and the soul. Going to steal it--thx ;)

cedar

Post by cedar » Wed May 18, 2016 8:30 am

Thanks Jackn and Ipearlmom!

Yes love my breakfasts lately..after my wild s day on Saturday I decided to return to meals that have more substance and fat in them and see if eating that way helps any on my s days..I think I was trying to eat a little less at meals last week and..bam! Wild s day..so I'm interested to see if it makes a difference. I feel really great so far so it certainly isn't hurting!

Yes "nourishing" is a really helpful word isn't it..without the old 'diet/restriction/being good' feeling...because chocolate is nourishing at the right times..as is red wine in the right amounts..etc. I've been reading an amazing blog "eat like a normal person" ..I may have mentioned it on the forum a while back..she talks about binge eating and how 3 structured and nourishing meals a day is the cure... She has an amazing writing style, and she references No s. She updates very slowly, but what is there so far has helped me tremendously..I hadn't looked at the site for a while but my wild s day felt like I was binging again and scared me a little so I've been reading it these past few days.. So the nourishing word comes from there.

I'm rambling!! I've had a half glass of red wine (I'm a light weight when it comes to alcohol!!)
Anyway..
Today green x 3 :D
I woke up early and did 14mins of sun salutations instead of shovel glove this morning, then went for a morning walk before the children woke up..it really felt good.
I ate eggs and potato and zucchini for breakfast with a coffee
Left over chicken snitzel, potato and salad for lunch with some grapes
Beef stroganoff with greens, and Greek yogurt and sliced banana for dinner (along with some wine)

Hope everyone is well xx

jackn

Post by jackn » Wed May 18, 2016 11:57 am

Sounds great, Cedar.

I like the site you linked to: http://www.eatlikeanormalperson.com/how ... al-person/.
Never heard of it, and seems promising.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

jackn

Post by jackn » Wed May 18, 2016 1:47 pm

cedar wrote:I woke up early and did 14mins of sun salutations instead of shovel glove this morning
Hey, Cedar, curious.
When you did/do that, is it you coming up with a flow on your own, or do did/do you follow a video?

I've often concocted my own workouts, but I always feel more willing to go ahead with the workout if it's a video.
Feels like putting myself in somebody's hands, and, thus, easier.
This, as far as bodyweight exercises go.
With yoga, however, I've never done a workout on my own. In addition to the convenience thing, I feel I need some some more practice before I go ahead and do things on my own (sometimes).
The warming up of the weather, and the nearby beautiful park should help.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Wed May 18, 2016 2:34 pm

I notice the same thing Cedar, about eating better, more filling meals & no longer feeling the need to binge. It's so much harder to convince myself that I "deserve" whatever it is that I'm binging on when I'm eating 3 great meals every single day (:

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed May 18, 2016 5:45 pm

Wow thanks for sharing that site cedar. Powerful stuff and giving me lots to think about.

cedar

Post by cedar » Wed May 18, 2016 9:26 pm

Its an amazing site isnt it!!! I almost cried with relief when i first discovered it..I cant wait for more of her writing! And so compatible with no s.

Thanks Jen..yes i was thinking about how you wrote about eating 3 meals a day you really love so there's no need to 'make up for anything' come s day. Makes so much sense.

Jackn yesterday i just did the sun salutes sequence straight for 14mins without video..today ive done bits of pieces of sun salute plus some push ups stretchs squats..just basically kept moving. I've forgotten alot of yoga poses so will need to follow a video soon to get a better routine.

So far green for 2 habits walk and 14mins..its a full day of work so its good to get them done early.

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Thu May 19, 2016 3:30 am

Love the blog!! Agree with her on so much!!

jackn

Post by jackn » Thu May 19, 2016 5:59 am

Thanx, Cedar.

And yes, I'm convinced that self-denial and overeating go hand in hand.
And yes, fat is so necessary and nice.

Meals and exercise.
Good luck to su all.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Thu May 19, 2016 6:41 pm

i have checked a bit the "eat like a normal person" site , too... i cant relate to everything (but being a, on-off smoker helps to try to relate to the more extreme examples) but i love the writing, the ideas and common sense she has!
thank you!

cedar

Post by cedar » Fri May 20, 2016 7:26 am

Great that you all can get something useful from that site..I look forward to more writing from her. And yes Kaalii, I can t relate to all she writes..I wouldn't exactly call myself a serious problem binge eater but having been on a diet of some kind for the past 25 years (eeeek!!) I've been a picker grazer overeater under eater orthorexic reactive eater etc..what she writes makes so much sense to me, I can't really put it into words..

I've had green days last 2 days for all habits, apart from today I didn't do my 14mins..I've had the shivers and sweats and sore throat so I've come home from work and made my boys dinner and hopped into bed..hopefully some rest and hot tea will cure me before it develops into the flu!

My plan tomorrow is to just continue on with my 3 generous and nourishing meals..we are going to dinner tomorrow night so if a dessert appeals then I'll indulge happily. I'm not going to pick and graze my way through the weekend..I'm just not..but I'm going to go with the flow and enjoy some treats.

That's all I can write my brain isn't working!
Have a great weekend everyone.
Xxxxxx
Last edited by cedar on Fri May 20, 2016 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri May 20, 2016 10:15 am

Sounds like you are setting yourself up for a good weekend!
Hope you enjoy it!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Fri May 20, 2016 3:12 pm

Cedar I'm totally with you on her writing. I was always restricting & than running out of will power & ended up with a what the hell day or moment & vowing to do better again. It's not fun!! I love how she talks about what to eat. No diet food, what sounds good, and nourishing (she doesn't use healthy much which always sounds too close to diet food)

I do my weekends just like you. A little bigger portions for some meals sometimes, sometimes a dessert, almost always bigger than a typical N day but sometimes actually following all N day rules (: I love it, don't feel deprived at all, & there's nothing I don't let myself have, but I don't eat anything "just because" it's an S day (:

Hope you feel better so you can actually enjoy your S days (:

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat May 21, 2016 4:24 am

Oh no I hope you're feeling better cedar.

Well done on keeping green. Hope you had a nice night out and that your S days are satisfying!

Linda :)

cedar

Post by cedar » Sun May 22, 2016 5:51 am

Thanks Jen and Linda for your comments. :D

My weekend has been polar opposite to last..I haven't officially changed my 'no s' to s events..I'm still vanilla no s I guess but my mindset has shifted. I have eaten my 3 very generous meals a day and yesterday I shared a bite of brownie at a cafe with my son mid morning with a coffee. My husband and i went to dinner last night and I didn't order dessert because I just didn't want it..dinner was so yummy! Hubby and I shared calamari with a chilli dipping sauce and then for main I had eye fillet steak with crunchy chips and salad. And some lovely red wine..yummmmm!

I'm eating really full yummy meals..real food.
Today bf 2 eggs fried with sweet potato, spinach, cheese and butter. Orange slices and a banana on side.
Lunch chicken with coleslaw mayo lettuce carrot and Swiss cheese on a gluten free wrap. Coffee and cream and a piece of dark chocolate.
Dinner still to come..I'm cooking spaghetti bolognese and it smells delicious!

I'm not feeling very well, sore throat and low energy but I went for a walk around the park which was nice this morning.

I feel different..I feel like I'm eating way more and Yet my clothes are looser..
I am just going to continue on with vanilla no s and ponder about the s events..I like the idea of yours linda of 4 or so s events..I think that seems like a good number..but I'm just going to monitor things and see for now..especially after such a sane s weekend maybe I don't need to change things just yet. And if a social special occasion comes up during the week then I can just call it a fail or an s day..?

jackn

Post by jackn » Sun May 22, 2016 9:44 am

cedar wrote:My weekend has been polar opposite to last... my mindset has shifted. I have eaten my 3 very generous meals a day
Sounds very good.
cedar wrote:I didn't order dessert because I just didn't want it..dinner was so yummy!
Wonderful.
I think this is core, and I'd like to improve on that score.
cedar wrote: I'm eating really full yummy meals..real food.
I can relate.
And. Isn't that how our ancestors ate?
Why should it be hard to eat sanely?
we're made to.
cedar wrote:I feel different..I feel like I'm eating way more and Yet my clothes are looser..
Exactly.
Unexpected, delightful, and also says that this must be right.

Get well soon.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun May 22, 2016 3:09 pm

Cedar, you are really inspiring and give me hope that I can eat in a satisfying way AND be satisfied with my weight. This morning I was riding my bike and noticed that my goals were changing their focus from weight loss to having a healthy relationship with food and as well as my fitness goal of riding 100 miles.

So much more rewarding than trying to force my body to be a certain weight. I'm trying to remember that if I'm engaging in sane eating behaviors--not bingeing, starving myself, grazing, restricting etc.. Then whatever I weigh is a reflection of that and cannot be a bad thing. Satisfying, nourishing meals with occasional treats on special occasions!

Okay sorry to make this about me but thank you for posting your insights/experience. It's really helping me!

Linda
Last edited by lpearlmom on Mon May 23, 2016 4:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sun May 22, 2016 3:24 pm

Cedar thanks for inspiring me today. My goal this week is 3 satisfying, filling and nutritious meals. I love that your clothes have been looser, too. That’s so motivating.
Your meals look amazing! Keep it up!
Liz

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Sun May 22, 2016 9:53 pm

I Absolutly love your posts Cedar (: I so agree with you on the 3 filling meals!! It sometimes feels like I'm practically floating after eating one. It's brought the happy back into eating again for me!!

bunsofaluminum

Post by bunsofaluminum » Sun May 22, 2016 10:33 pm

this is a great read, cedar. I skimmed thru all your posts...terrific to see your progress, and encouraging to know how this simple method fits in with life. loved the webpage for conquering binge eating. Good stuff!

cedar

Post by cedar » Tue May 24, 2016 6:16 am

Wow..thanks for all the kind words lovely people! I really do love this forum..so supportive.
I'm not well..just not feeling myself still and I had a call from school to pick up my son..and he's worse than I am! Poor baby..so I've made soup, put him in a seperate room from my other son..fingers crossed it doesn't spread!

I played netball last night hoping it would make me feel better but it made me feel worse! So I didn't play today..I did clean the house though..vacuumed mopped washed folded..I'll try go for a walk around the park when hubby gets home just for some fresh air..not sure if I'm up for my 14mins..I just want to lay in bed for a while!! Don't like feeling this way!!

Today I didn't eat until 12.. I had eggs spinach and potato with tea.
4pm I had some soup with my boys and a piece of bread and banana.
I'm cooking dinner now..pork chops with roast pumpkin and sweet potato, and green beans and broccoli. I'm not sure if I'll eat that or just have more soup.

I feel very strong with my 3 meals no snacking..eating my full decent meals is very nurturing and reassuring..I feel my body has changed slightly even though no loss on the scale..but positives are no bloating more defined muscle and apart form being sick I feel positive and trusting in 'the process'. I've tortured myself for too mAny years over food and weight..the fact that I feel so sure of my 3 meals- no snacking no sweets no seconds is a real achievement and the main thing I'm concentrating on right now..

Yesterday was green also for 1)no s, 2)park walk and I'm counting netball as my 3)14 mins..
Today green x2 - fail 14 mins.

Hope everyone is well..thanks again for the lovely support.

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Tue May 24, 2016 6:32 am

sending get well thoughts to you and your son, cedar! :)

cedar

Post by cedar » Tue May 24, 2016 8:47 am

Thanks Kaalii xx

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Tue May 24, 2016 2:46 pm

Hope you feel better Cedar!! Being sick is no fun!!

cedar

Post by cedar » Wed May 25, 2016 11:21 am

Thanks Jen..no fun at all!

Feel slightly better today, my son was home sick so I had to take the day off work.. we had a nice relaxing day together and I think he'll be well enough for school tomorrow.

I went for a few walks today, I seem to feel better in the fresh air.. I also stuck to my 3 meals no snacks..I did try a bit of ravioli about an hour before dinner but it was genuine tasting to see if it would work in my 'use everything left in the fridge to create a one pot stew creation'. It worked surprisingly well and, I know I need to get a life, I do get excited when I can make a meal out of 'nothing' and love having a clear fridge in time for grocery shopping tomorrow. Confession.. I also love and get genuinely excited when we have fresh clean sheets on the bed..especially if it's nice weather and the sheets dry in the sun. My husband is always amused when I'm so happy about that..the simple things!

I just did 14mins of light yoga and stretches.

So green x 3

jackn

Post by jackn » Wed May 25, 2016 7:53 pm

Getting well.
And sticking to habits.

Good news.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Wed May 25, 2016 7:53 pm

3 greens!! excellent!!
cedar wrote: I do get excited when I can make a meal out of 'nothing' and love having a clear fridge in time for grocery shopping tomorrow.
yesss!cooking out of "nothing" is what i have noticed the best and the most creative cooks around me are so good at... so creative!
i practice it also since, like you, i dont like to waste food... and because my fridge is so small i really need to make space in it before shopping for fresh food...

cedar

Post by cedar » Thu May 26, 2016 8:42 am

Thanks Jackn.
Thanks Kaalii.. Some of my best meals have been created out of 'nothing' for sure.

Today green x 3.
I've got another 21days under my belt in 4 days I think..it's helping me resist a sweet actually, I was close to having a biscuit with my children today but I remembered how close I was to 21days and chose not to.

I'm not sure if it's because I've been sick (feeling much better today..yay!!) but I haven't been wanting to do shovelglove, I've either had a fail or have just done light yoga and stretching, but last night I found a 14min workout online (I posted it on the general discussion board) and I did that this morning then did my park walk (in the pouring rain..beautiful!) It was a good start to the day and a celebration of my return to wellness!

Bf..boiled eggs x2 gluten free toast x1 slice. Orange kiwi and banana slices.
Coffee and dash of cream
Lunch- Roast chicken plus slice of cheese, cucumber carrot spinach leaf salad with mayonnaise dressing and on side half a banana with dollop of Greek yogurt and cinnamon
Dinner- Chicken Snitzel, steamed zucchini and broccoli with roast pumpkin and sweet potato plus spoon of basmati rice.

cedar

Post by cedar » Fri May 27, 2016 10:13 am

Green x 3. I will have done my 2nd 21days on Monday so I'm feeling very pleased. I'm not sure if I should aim for another 21 days or set myself a new challenge like 1 month straight..I'll have a think over weekend. I feel very solid with my habits but I don't want to get cocky.

I feel lighter..after eating really generous high nourishment meals for the last couple of weeks I feel comfortable the last day or 2 being a bit lighter with my food choices..adding raw salad veg or fruit to make up a lot of the meal. I'm feeling hungry in between meals which is a good feeling..I just feel that I can't force anything. I feel I'm waiting for my body to be the one to tell me it's ready to lose the extra kilos not me forcing it. It's a subtle inner feeling and I am quite fascinated by the process because it's the opposite of what I've experienced in the past. I have a deep trust that it will all happen when it's meant to and the only thing I need to 'control' is making sure I have 3 decent meals a day, and I do my 14mins and walks for keeping strong within my body and mind. Ticking those green squares each and every day.

Bf- boiled eggs x 2, 1/4cooked oats, 1 x mandarin 1/2 banana. Coffee and dash cream
Lunch- leftover chicken snitzel, broccoli potato and rice. Green tea.
Dinner- fish grilled, steamed potato carrot and salad with tomato cucumber fetta cheese. Tea with dash milk.

Woke up early did my 14mins plus a park walk. I walked about 12000 steps today I finished a shift early and decided to go for a 40min walk before picking up boys from school..it was a gorgeous clear autumn day here after 3 days of rain. Feeling great. My S days will be 3 decent meals as a base. We go to friends for dinner so will enjoy nibbles with some drinks and dessert. I will thoroughly enjoy but I will not perma-snack all weekend..it's not an option.

Have a lovely weekend beautiful people xx

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Fri May 27, 2016 10:36 am

cedar wrote: I feel lighter..after eating really generous high nourishment meals for the last couple of weeks I feel comfortable the last day or 2 being a bit lighter with my food choices..adding raw salad veg or fruit to make up a lot of the meal. I'm feeling hungry in between meals which is a good feeling..I just feel that I can't force anything. I feel I'm waiting for my body to be the one to tell me it's ready to lose the extra kilos not me forcing it. It's a subtle inner feeling and I am quite fascinated by the process because it's the opposite of what I've experienced in the past. I have a deep trust that it will all happen when it's meant to and the only thing I need to 'control' is making sure I have 3 decent meals a day, and I do my 14mins and walks for keeping strong within my body and mind. Ticking those green squares each and every day.
sooo nice to read this!
i feel like you are enjoying life and are at peace with food... beautiful mind, indeed!!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri May 27, 2016 1:48 pm

cedar wrote:.I just feel that I can't force anything. I feel I'm waiting for my body to be the one to tell me it's ready to lose the extra kilos not me forcing it... I have a deep trust that it will all happen when it's meant to and the only thing I need to 'control' is making sure I have 3 decent meals a day, and I do my 14mins and walks for keeping strong within my body and mind

So awesome cedar! I feel like this is the ideal we should all be shooting for rather than some elusive number on the scale. This is what's going to bring us peace with our bodies and food.

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts/experience. It's very inspiring & helpful.

Linda :)

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Fri May 27, 2016 3:26 pm

I completely agree with Linda!! I love reading what you have to say (: Diets & reading what others say about eating usually causes me anxiety. It tends to make me feel like I should always do more (or eat less) than what actually feels good & what deep down I know is right.

cedar

Post by cedar » Mon May 30, 2016 3:59 am

Thanks for the lovely comments ladies! Very much appreciated.

I had a great s weekend..I didn't go overboard at all..enjoyed some banana bread with my boys at a cafe on Saturday. Went to a friends house on Saturday night..enjoyed nibbles with drinks then a seafood risotto followed by lemon tart for dessert..yummy.. I drank a few glasses of red wine which is too much for me but I didn't feel too bad the next day.

I feel balanced with my s weekends and can really see the importance of them..it's not about eating every s 'while I can' but it's really about the freedom to be able to if I choose..yesterday we went to catch up at a friends and after dinner she put sweets out on the table but they weren't appealing to me so when we got home I had a small bowl of ice cream with chocolate topping and that was really satisfying. Back to N ormal today..it's actually day 21 x 2 so that's great. I was thinking of joining the monthly challenges but I think I'll do another 21days.

Bf- eggs zucchini spinach parmasen cheese + coffee and dash cream.
A big walk and a mid morning coffee and milk at cafe.
Lunch- tuna egg carrot spinach mayo on white bread. Plus yogurt sliced banana and almonds.
Dinner- will be beef stroganoff with green vegies and potato

Netball tonight 8.30 pm..looking forward to that after being unwell last week.

Feeling good..haven't weighed myself but clothes feel looser and just feel asthough things have shifted for me..as long as I keep focusing on habit and small daily actions rather than all or nothing "have to lose weight..blah blah.." it just has to happen naturally without force or I'm pretty certain I'll end up undoing my balanced and sane feeling with food and weight that I've achieved so far.
Green x 3.
Last edited by cedar on Mon May 30, 2016 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

jackn

Post by jackn » Mon May 30, 2016 5:07 am

Sounds good, especially, as you seem to think, the reasonable weekends.

This was a concern at the beginning, if I'm not mistaken, and you just gave it a chance, and licked the driven excesses.

Good luck to us all.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Mon May 30, 2016 5:45 am

oh, cedar, sounds like a great weekend!
and congrats for the 2nd time doing 21 days!!

cedar

Post by cedar » Tue May 31, 2016 9:41 am

Thanks Jackn and Kaalii, yes I seem to have really changed my mindset about s days. I really value them now rather than dread them.

Today green x 3.. First day of my 3rd 21 day challenge.

I played netball this morning then this afternoon I went for an hour long walk to get some groceries. I have had my 3 meals- no snacking no sweets no seconds..I'm feeling like a kit kat bar though..so I'm going to have a hot cup of tea and a bath and head to bed!

Bf- eggs boiled potato parmasen cheese and a pear. Coffee with dash cream x2
Lunch- pumpkin soup with gf toast sliced tomato and cheese
Coffee with dash cream (I normally only have 1-2 coffees but I had 3 today)
Dinner-pork chops, basmati rice with green vegies and salad.

All good :D

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue May 31, 2016 2:22 pm

cedar wrote: Today green x 3.. First day of my 3rd 21 day challenge.
Awesome work cedar!

I hope the bath did the trick!

Also, had to look up netball. It looks like fun and similar to basketball? It's great when we can find active hobbies we enjoy!

Linda

jackn

Post by jackn » Tue May 31, 2016 6:28 pm

cedar wrote:I'm feeling like a kit kat bar though..so I'm going to have a hot cup of tea and a bath and head to bed!
I like that.
Real Comfort instead of comfort food.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

cedar

Post by cedar » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:37 am

The bath and cuppa did the trick for sure..thanks Jackn and Linda.

That's sweet you looked up netball linda..yes it's very similar to basketball but you can't run with or dribble the ball. I used to play as a teenager, and then 15 years 2 children later I was asked to join a team of mums from my boys school..gee I was rusty and unfit but it's been so fun! My fitness has really improved since doing it for sure.

Today I failed.. I took a client to lunch at a venue that provided the entertainment and food..I didn't want to eat lunch but it was a new client and she is mentally unstable, and she said if you don't eat I won't eat..so I thought fair enough we are here for lunch so I ordered my meal and it was horrible! I will usually eat most things..I'm not fussy but the meat on this plate looked like it was off..grey and horrible. I ate a few vegies on the plate and a bread roll which was fine at the time..but when I had dinner tonight I just couldn't stop at 1 plate so I had seconds..and I picked at my sons leftovers while putting dishes away so I'm calling it a fail and feel fine with that.
I went for a nice long walk..I haven't done my 14mins yet but I will.
So green x 2 fail x1.
Tomorrow is a new day.. :D

cedar

Post by cedar » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:36 am

Green x 3 today :D

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:50 pm

Oh dear, that sounds awful cedar! I so get the wanting another plate after that experience.

Mark it and move on and hopefully you will not have to eat there ever again!

Linda

Ps netball sounds like so much fun and it's great that it's meeting physical & social needs at once!

cedar

Post by cedar » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:02 am

Thanks Linda..unfortunately I have to go to the same lunch every fortnight..but I don't have to eat there so I'll work it out..maybe order a coffee instead while my client eats.

Xxx
Last edited by cedar on Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:11 am

Sounds good--tell them you have severe reflux or something ;)

cedar

Post by cedar » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:14 am

Good idea!! I just may do that or something similar.. :lol:

Green x 3 today. I haven't had dinner yet but unless something drastic occurs I'm pretty safe to assume all will go as planned.

I went for a huge walk with a friend this morning as we both didn't start work until 11am. We both had complaints about kids husbands etc..so we ended up doing over 12,000 steps!! Now I feel better..sometimes you just need a whinge! :D

Bf oats with banana and milk, 2 boiled eggs and coffee
Lunch- left over mince and vegetables some grapes and tomatoes.
Dinner - (will be) fish with caesar salad and sweet potato.

This week has flown and I'm looking froward to tomorrow to enjoy a treat that my client gave me today..she's so lovely..Russian and can hardly speak English but first thing she did when I picked her up was hand me an apple and a special Russian chocolate biscuit..it looks yummy. :D

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:22 pm

Was thinking of your bad lunch that turned to seconds with dinner & wanted to say that I think that is the perfect non-fail fail (: When in doubt No S rules vs. common sense, I'm going with "eat like a normal person". Normal people wouldn't eat too much of bad food just so they weren't hungry & normal people would eat a little more at dinner to make up for eating very little at lunch. I think you should be really proud of that fail (:

cedar

Post by cedar » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:29 pm

Thanks Jen! I really appreciate your input. Yes it wasn't a 'fail' I felt terrible about..not that I count calories but I'm sure I ended up eating the same amount as if I'd had a proper lunch and single plate for dinner ..but it was really the picking at my sons leftovers I thought "uh oh- let's not head down that road!".

Hope you're enjoying your holiday :D

cedar

Post by cedar » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:11 pm

Ok..have been doing a bit of thinking over the weekend because I weighed myself and have actually put on weight..not much (1-2 pounds) but I'm at my highest weight ever (apart from pregnancies)..sooo as much as I love No S and as much as I'm in this to normalise my eating and relationship with food, I feel that after 2 months of everyday green..it's time to get some results for my hard work.
I was inspired by 'Lifeisablessings' post about her modified version of no s..including sweets in her meals but no snacks or seconds x7 days a week, I gave it a go over the weekend and I noticed I ate less..for example I would normally have had my normal full breakfast and then have enjoyed an s day treat mid morning, but because I knew I was sticking to 3 meals only I skipped breakfast and had some banana bread (toasted with butter-yummmmmo) with a coffee mid morning with my son. Then I had a lunch and dinner as normal. It probably seems silly to be wanting to lose weight and deciding to loosen the no sweets rule..but I'm sure I'm loading up my plates to kind of 'get me through' and 'make up for' not having a sweet..

So I'm going to give it a go for 2 weeks, I'm also taking on a 10,000 step challange for the rest of the month of June (I read a book called the '10,000step blueprint' and he's all about habits etc..).
So let's see how I go.
So far I've done my 14mins, and I went for a walk and have clocked up 4000 steps so far. I've got my netball finals tonight so I want to keep warmed up and lightly active during the day.

End result of today:
Coffee with dash of cream and cup of hot water.
2x gf toast with ham tomato and Swiss cheese. Grapes and 1/4 orange.
L- salad with tuna boiled egg Caesar dressing, rice thin and Lindt orange choc x2 pieces. Coffee with dash milk.
D- chicken snitzel boiled potato carrot broccoli and cucumber. 2x pieces milka chocolate, small bowl cornflakes.

I did 22000+ steps today and played netball. I went for a big walk with a friend aswell as my normal morning walk and walked up to shops for milk.
Feel good..and sore..will sleep well tonight!

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:08 pm

Great job cedar (impressed with your step count too--wow!)!

I'm so excited you decided to try the three-meal NoS mod. It has worked fantastically for me--no dread factor, treats are only a meal away, no need to fill the plates to compensate for food that you're missing, etc. Because it follows my cultural life patterns, I find it very doable--weekends and special days work with it, and don't turn into eating free-for-alls.

Looking forward to tracking your results with the new approach! :)
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

bunsofaluminum

Post by bunsofaluminum » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:19 pm

but I'm sure I'm loading up my plates to kind of 'get me through'
Do I ever hear you on this! I know I pack my stomach way too full at meals, in order to avoid the mid morning or mid afternoon munchies and having to fight the urge to snack. Same results as you, on the scale. I've got to figure out a tweak. It may be as simple as really chewing my food and slowing down rather than shoveling it in.

anywayssss! good luck with the steps thing. :) and way to go with your overall development of good habits ;)

cedar

Post by cedar » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:22 am

Thanks for the input Lifesablessing and bunsofaluminium! 2 x great names by the way!

Lifesablessing thank you for introducing me to your way of doing No S. I really think that I'll have success with it..it just feels right at the moment.
Yes i did a lot of steps yesterday, I had the day off. I'm going for a 10,000 step average so some days will be less some more..i feel good walking..I always love it especially in the cold weather it keeps any low moods from creeping in.

So far today..
Breakfast- coffee with dash cream, 2x gf toast 2x eggs some jam and peanut butter on one of the toasts.
Off to netball now, I did 3000 steps on my walk this morning and will take another walk this afternoon before I pick the kids up from school.

To be continued.. :D
Last edited by cedar on Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:12 am

Hi, Cedar! Just read through your posts. Sounds like you got the no s habit down quickly and are also keeping active! I'm curious to hear how you do with the mod that Lifeis a blessing has been doing. I just can't seem to get through 21 days of green without cheating and having sweets. I'll let you be the guinea pig and if you have success, maybe I'll try it, too! No pressure. :lol:

cedar

Post by cedar » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:19 am

Thanks for stopping by MaggieMae! More than happy to be the guinea pig :D
I'm really curious also, and will be posting regularly on how it's going so hope it helps you out too.It feels great so far.

After trying and failing intuitive eating for many years (I definitely don't want to go back to that way of eating) the positive part of it was it did help me overcome my obsession with good/bad foods as I really allowed myself all foods. I became one of those people who could take or leave sweets, forget about sweets/treats I had bought and be content with 1 square of chocolate..it was truly miraculous to me! I found that slowly with the no sweets rule of no s I was getting obsessed again..even though I felt proud that I was resisting during the week. I absolutely love and value the structure of 3 meals and no snacking or seconds and feel really excited that I've got that habit down..and see this new mod as something for life, that doesn't feel restrictive and like I'm either on or off something.

Today after late breakfast I played netball, then came home and walked up to a cafe and enjoyed a coffee.
Lunch- tuna mayo mix on rice thins with cucumber carrot and tomato, slice of Swiss cheese, and a ginger kiss (small bite size ginger cake) and 1 small kit kat.
Dinner- beef and vegie stew on rice with a side salad with roast pumpkin bacon and Caesar dressing.

Steps :14,000 didn't intend to do so much but I've got extra up my sleeve if I need to make my 10,000 average.

Feel good.

8)

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:34 pm

Glad to see the mod is working for you cedar! Feel free to ask me any questions if you want; I try not to go on too much in my posts to avoid word dumps lol. Keep up the great work! :)
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:09 pm

Hi cedar

I really relate to what you're saying. After years of dieting, I really wanted intuitive eating to work for me. It really seemed like the answer but as hard as I tried to make it work, it just wouldn't. I gained a lot of weight and my eating was still very chaotic. I agree though it neutralized food for me. The world did not end if I had a bowl of ice cream!

NoS gives you freedom and structure in the right places/amounts, but I've often thought that if the sweets rule was starting to feel too restrictive for me, I'd just allow it at meals on my plate. I'm not a sweets person but sometimes I like just a tiny bit of something sweet at the end of my meal so I could see this working.

I do think it could take the edge off of S days too. I've already started to add a piece of caramel with my meals and it feels good to me. It feels balanced and yes more like a good long-term solution.

Time will tell but interested to see how it feels for you. Looking forward to hearing your feedback.

Linda

cedar

Post by cedar » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:52 am

Thanks Linda, yes I'm the same with a sweet ending to a meal..just something small really does the trick. Today I ended dinner with a tiny snack pack of mm's and it was perfect. I've bought a few different varieties of pre-packed snacks so it keeps the portion small but fun.. I feel like a normal person eating sweets like that for some reason. How is your caramel allowance working for you..I thought that seemed like a great plan. Hope you're feeling relaxed about your upcoming holiday..it's always a bit mad before hand!! But well worth it xx

Thanks blessing for your support also, I just read on your thread about you being 'calorie aware' and I had to laugh because it's like I've been thinking about something and it pops up on your posts! Since starting your mod I have been roughly (very roughly) counting my calories -sorry if that is hard for people to read! I do know we come here to get away from all that- but I was curious, (unfortunately) weight loss really does come down to taking in less than we expend..I was shocked at the calorie count of just 1 meal..let alone the whole day. So I have come up with a loose daily calorie goal and I am just being aware..but not restrictive as I know that backfires on me..and I weighed myself today and I'm down 1/2 kg (1pound?) not much but it's the first downward movement I've seen in 2 months on No S. I absolutely know it's mainly the 10,000+ steps daily but I am noticing meals are slightly smaller because I have a sweet added. Example- Last week before mod I really wanted something sweet so I had 2 pieces of toast with jam (extra 250/300calories?)..yet with the mod I've been eating a normal meal but say with a piece of dark choc(extra 50 calories).. Just using this as an example I'm not going to go on about calories anymore!

Gee I can ramble on can't i?? Haha :lol:

Today 12,000+ steps plus 14 mins stretching and movement.
B-half Muesli half oats softened with hot water topped with cream, coffee and dash cream
L-Ham salad sandwich on gf bread butter and mayo, and carrot and cucumber on side,pice dark choc with coffee and dash milk.
D- chick schnitzel with pasta and Caesar salad, small bag mms.
Note..not enough water today! I can feel it! oops:

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:35 pm

great to hear you are confident to try a mod, feel good and already see some results!