New Year New Start

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Princess Tucker

New Year New Start

Post by Princess Tucker » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:39 pm

Happy New Year to all!!
I'm new and have joined today. I'm determined that this year will be the year I will get healthy. Every year I start some pointless diet and give up after about 8 weeks. I'm about 2-3 stone overweight. I'm not interested in losing weight fast. I want to be healthy and if I lose weight then that's great.
I'm really worried about the amount of sugar I'm consuming. I snack constantly and wonder why I'm overweight. I'm a nurse and just completed a diabetes diploma and it's really frightened me. I don't want to get diabetes but if I carry on the way I am then I will. I came across this plan online and downloaded the book. I'm about a quarter of the way through it but it totally makes sense, and I think it's great that there's no calorie counting or points system. I work during the week so I don't think I'll have a problem with the rules.
I'm really looking forward to this and hopefully it will become a way of life for me.

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:59 pm

Hi and welcome to NoS. Sounds like this way of eating is just what you're looking for! You are right when you say it can become a way of life, three months in and I can definitely see myself eating like this forever. Yes the weight loss is slow but of course the most important thing is that it helps you address your relationship with food. This happens gradually over time so don't expect miracles overnight!
Regarding sugar, I have found that my sweet tooth has slowly decreased, when I have sweet things on S days they seem very sweet and less tempting.
The routine of work is really helpful in sticking to the plan, I have just had two weeks holidays and need some structure back in my life!
Good luck, this is a really friendly supportive forum so any questions just ask! :)

Princess Tucker

Post by Princess Tucker » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:30 pm

Thanks Bluebell. It's great that you see yourself eating this way forever. That's exactly what I'm aiming to do. It's not going to be easy as I have a terrible sweet tooth, but at least I can look forward to a treat at the weekend. Thanks for your support and also good luck :)

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:11 pm

Welcome, princess Tucker! I'm a nurse, too and I see a lot of diabetes and the horrible issues that it can cause. Let us know if there's anything we can do to encourage you. If it weren't for the wonderful people on this forum, I would have quit a long time ago. I have a sweet tooth, also and I can tell you that I have several kinds of my favorite candy that I received for Christmas gifts and I haven't touched them except for S days. Miracles happen!

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:17 pm

I imagine you will go through a tricky stage at first as you wean yourself off the sugar, but it will definitely be worth sticking with. Just make it through the first 5 days and focus on getting to the weekend, then you can have sweets. I like this quote from the NoS book:
'On the No S Diet, no pleasure is denied, just delayed and contained.'
And this one:
'The No S Diet gets progressively easier and becomes largely unconscious.'
Maybe they will give you some strength when the going gets tough.

Princess Tucker

Post by Princess Tucker » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:24 pm

Thanks for the support MaggieMae & Bluebell. I shall think of those quotes when the going gets tough! You have great willpower MaggieMae. Most of my Christmas chocolate has gone. I'll save the rest until the weekend. I got through day 1 without any problems. Back to work tomorrow so will need to avoid reception as lots of sweets and biscuits there.

Merry

Post by Merry » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:23 am

Welcome! I hope you have a great year with No-S. It has definitely changed the amount of sugar I eat (not only on the regular days, but even on S days when we can eat sugar, I find myself not wanting as much, or sometimes thinking something tastes too sweet--something I would NEVER have said in the past!).

Hey Maggie-Mae, way-to-go on the Christmas Chocolate! I have a stash in my desk drawer too!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

Princess Tucker

Post by Princess Tucker » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:12 pm

Hi Merry.
I'm 3 days into No-S and so far so good. It's not been easy though as I was given a 6 pack of my favourite coffee muller light yogurts yesterday by a colleague. I've done slimming world on and off for years and these yogurts are 'free' food. So I've hid them in a plastic bag in the fridge and shall enjoy a couple of them at the weekend. I'm sure I will enjoy them more by looking forward to having them as a treat. Another colleague today gave me a custard french pastry. It looked so good. I think my colleagues are trying to fatten me up and break my willpower!! I wrapped it up and gave it to my son to have as soon as I got home.
I imagine the first 2-3 weeks will be the hardest. I'm sticking with this though. Feeling very positive.
And thanks for the friendly replies :)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:28 am

How is it going?

Not sure how old you are but another incentive is that it's what people eat during mid-life that has a big impact on mental clarity in their older years. Those who have averaged four or fewer desserts a week experience less dementia in their senior years. It's too bad that it seems more crucial when it's a little late to change the past!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Princess Tucker

Post by Princess Tucker » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:06 am

Hi Oolala.
It's going really well thanks. I've done 3 weeks now and can honestly say that I could stick with this long term. I love not having to count calories. I really look forward to my meals now and enjoy them. The things I crave during the week I know I can have at the weekend but so far the craving has gone by then. I still keep to no snacks at the weekend but have a nice desert with my meal. My biggest downfall has always been chocolate so I have decided not to eat it at all, and can't believe I've gone 3 weeks without it. I'm not even craving it. I've lost 2kg in the first 2 weeks which is a massive bonus. I weigh on a Tuesday at work.
I'm 44 years old and totally get what you say about eating during mid-life. I think you become more aware of what you're putting into your body and you've seen the impact that this can have.
Thanks for the support :)

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:21 pm

Fantastic, sounds like you're off to a great start! :D

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:49 am

I knew what I was supposed to do in middle age back then but it didn't sink in. The beliefs about my ability to say no and just eat moderately were just about nil. I also kept trying to do IE. If you "get it" now, glory be!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)