Kids and Candy

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Samurai

Kids and Candy

Post by Samurai » Mon May 23, 2005 2:10 am

I was at a friend's birthday party this weekend, for his 1 yr old daughter. There were lots and lots of kids, from ages 1, of course, up to around 10 years old.

The time finally arrived for the kids to bust the pinata. Once the pinata was cracked and the candy spilled out, I noticed something that surprised me.

The kids were all picking through the candy, looking for the best pieces. Usually there is a mad scramble and kids just scoop up whatever is within arm's reach. But not this time.

I reflected on this and remembered seeing a similar phenomenon during recent Halloween and Easter celebrations.

I think its because candy and sweets are too commonplace. A long time ago, when eating No S style was the norm and not the exception, any little piece of candy or a soda was considered a serious treat. Those treats were often reserved for real special occasions.

Like birthday parties.
One should not be envious of someone who has prospered by unjust deeds. Nor should he disdain someone who has fallen while adhering to the path of righteousness. - Imagawa Sadayo (1325-1420)

Casey

Post by Casey » Mon May 23, 2005 3:02 am

Samurai- Your so right aboutthis theory. I also remeber as a kid just scooping it up. Then again Ihave a twin sister and three older brothers. So, we had to scoop things up quickly if I wanted anything..lol..Seriouly, I think its sad these days, that kids think that what we were treats, is normal food to them. Also Im sure you have noticed this. That kids dont play like we did as kids. I would stay out till my Mom came looking for me. Kids these days, you have to bribe them to go out.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue May 24, 2005 1:05 pm

What a sad, true observation. What a striking (literally!) image of what's wrong with our fat, rich, wonderful country. On the bright side, it's so obvious what to do about it (at least for your own kids). I need to figure out how to link to individual articles so I can link to some of these bb posts from the home page. Great stuff, again, samurai.