Podcast #49: State of the Systems 2016 (Physical)

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
reinhard
Site Admin

Podcast #49: State of the Systems 2016 (Physical)

Post by reinhard » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:03 pm

I'd like to thank NoSDoc for encouraging me to record this update. I'd been considering it for a while, but his was the final nudge I needed.

https://everydaysystems.com/podcast/episode.php?id=49

Hope you enjoy it -- expect a follow-up on the "spiritual/organizational" systems soon.

sporkfancier

Post by sporkfancier » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:01 am

Fantastic to hear how your systems have evolved (or devolved) over the years. I was particularly interested in your rumination on glass ceiling, as I've definitely found "the average to be nearly the maximum" over the years as well. Looking forward to the next one!
Shovel glove? Isn't that the size of prophylactic I use?

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:35 pm

Thanks for the feedback!

Interesting how solving one problem reveals the next "bottleneck" -- happens all the time in software. I've gotten a very good handle on "not getting drunk," but now have a problem with slightly too much on a regular basis. It's a far less serious problem, but still, it's not great.

I definitely haven't quite sorted out this issue yet, but I'm very much on the case. I had a promising idea that worked to a reasonable degree for the first few months of this year, but then last month reverted to max = average again (the idea was to introduce monthly ceiling as well as a daily ceiling, and that the monthly ceiling should be somewhat less than days *2). I haven't quite given up on that yet, it might just take a bit of fine tuning.

Another idea that I find aesthetically very appealing but haven't been able to put into practice yet is variable height glass ceiling based on N-days and S-days (so 1 drink on N days, 2 on S days). The definition of S days for glass ceiling purposes would have to be slightly altered to encompass "Social drinking events." It would also be nice to engineer a certain number of 0 drink days in there somehow. My trouble with this is when I come home from work I have an overwhelming pavlovian urge to relax with a drink. And somehow the urge doesn't seem satisfied very often with a mere 1, especially if it's been a rough day. Still, I have hope that something like this might work. Maybe time to bring "monthly resolution" out of the dustbin to make a concerted effort to build the habit.

Reinhard

Chris Graeme

Post by Chris Graeme » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:16 am

Thanks for the new podcast. I also look forward to your further musings on the Glass Ceiling.

MD

Post by MD » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:38 pm

Thanks for the latest podcast!
Not sure whether this is a factor for other people or just for me, but I experience a symbiosis between "Glass Ceiling"and the No Snacks part of the No S diet.
When I have a drink at the end of a long day, I often am tempted to snack on something salty, like peanuts or popcorn. It makes the drink taste better when I snack. I find that if I give in to the temptation, and eat a snack, it not only makes the drink more refreshing, it also tempts me to have a second drink! It is tempting for me finish my first drink faster after a salty snack than I would finish it without food.
My resolve is to avoid the snack temptation, which for me is the most difficult part of adhering the the No S diet. If anyone has any suggestions, I would welcome them.
My sense is that fewer snack cheat days would result in fewer days having a second drink. Of course, on weekends, snacks are Ok with No S, so maybe I can eat all I want on S days, but avoid eating when drinking an alcoholic beverage.

Chris Graeme

Post by Chris Graeme » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:15 am

Hi Reinhard

Have you any update on your progress with revising Glass Ceiling?

Merry

Post by Merry » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:23 am

reinhard wrote:It would also be nice to engineer a certain number of 0 drink days in there somehow. My trouble with this is when I come home from work I have an overwhelming pavlovian urge to relax with a drink.
This is a year old so may not even be an issue any more! But a couple of thoughts...

I was drinking way too much diet pop when I started No-S, and decided to limit to 2 per week. For the most part, I've followed that. Maybe consider whether you want to only have a certain number of N-day drinks for the week.

Maybe you need to learn to like herbal tea or some other calming drink for those rough days? :wink:

I think it's easy to say we "need" xyz for certain reasons...No-S has made me challenge that thought more than once.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

seen_above_mist

Post by seen_above_mist » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:20 am

People often say it is easier to replace a habit with a new habit than it is to get rid of a habit, so maybe the drinks need to be actively replaced rather than removed.

NoSDoc

Re: Podcast #49: State of the Systems 2016 (Physical)

Post by NoSDoc » Mon May 04, 2020 5:05 pm

Hi Reinhard,
I just discovered that you mention me in your discussion. Never clicked on the "discuss" button... Yes, indeed, I did enjoy this Update - Acutalle listened to it several times.
Time for another update... ;-) (and probably another yearly check-in from my side...)

Yours

NoSDoc