Realization....

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Silverlining_Eeyore

Realization....

Post by Silverlining_Eeyore » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:00 pm

NoS is not new to me. Been doing it off and on for the last several years. It's sane and simple. But every time I see the weight coming off too slowly or get wind of a new diet that claims 10 lbs weight loss in a week, I book it.

I've done weight watchers, low carb, vegetarian, paleo, calorie counting, etc. and they all result in me losing some weight initially and then gaining it plus more weight back after realizing counting points or carbs are monotonous or leaving whole food groups out are down right ridiculous.

To think I could have been at my goal weight or pretty close to it by now. Even if I lost 10 lbs a year I would be at my goal. Meanwhile, my weight has crept up a great deal since that initial introduction to NoS.

In a nutshell, I'm exhausted.....I'm tired of standing in a room with people getting weighed like cattle, I'm tired of discussing new diets with others, I'm tired of stepping on the scale and it creeping up, I'm tired of food ruling my life...sigh

It's time to get back to sane and simple. I plan on starting a daily or weekly check in tomorrow.

Skelton

Post by Skelton » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:26 pm

Welcome to the board, Eeyore.
I totally understand about getting led astray by diets.
I look forward to reading your check in posts.
"We stop looking for the better diet and start looking for a better life." pangelsue

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:30 pm

Hi, Eeyore! Love the name! Your story sounds identical to mine. I'm actually 're-starting tomorrow after being on the calorie counting wagon. Here's hoping that we no S successfully and permanently!

catservant

Post by catservant » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:08 pm

I hear that , Eeyore! I'm sure that a lot of people have been on the same journey. Here's to sanity and simplicity!!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:49 am

I just read today that a study showed that dieters who achieved more weight loss in the first six months showed better adherence to a program in a year (I think) than those who achieved less. However, it didn't show that the adherence lasted beyond the 2-year mark, which is a minimum for maintenance.

This is rather understandable given human nature, but it can end up working against us, as human nature sometimes does! It's normal to feel discouraged and even disgusted and resentful when not getting what you think you want while making sacrifices.

That's why I think No S-ers really need to avail themselves of a lot of coaching and hand-holding.

I consider my role to be to keep directing people's attention to the other benefits they feel they get whether there is weight loss or not, as even WITH weight loss, there can be problems when that is the focus. It's also human nature for the novelty of being slimmer to wear off. But I think enjoying having a good appetite and delighting in good food has a chance for remaining reinforcing. These two can be present long before and after any weight loss.

I also think people who have exhausted some of the alternatives as you have have a better chance at really making No S work because they realize there isn't much chance they can stand going back to the old ways. Pulling up that realization in tough moments can make it easier to hold on.

We're on your side!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Mustloseweight

Eeyore - I could have written your post word for word

Post by Mustloseweight » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:12 pm

Honestly, maybe we are the same brain just inhabiting different bodies!!!!

I feel exactly as you do and have the same story to tell.

I suppose there is only one thing for it and that is to stop pussy footing around and get on with it.

I am with you whenever you feel ready to commit.

Good Luck
September 2017 - Starting weight: 19st 9lbs
March 2018 - 17st 2lbs
July 2018 - 16st 4lbs
July 2020 - 17st 10lbs 😟
Target Weight: 11 stones

slinkykitty

Post by slinkykitty » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:35 pm

I'm new too, It feels so nice to meet those in a similar situation. In fact, all of a sudden I don't feel so alone in all of this. I can certainly relate to the exhaustion.

Today is day 3 for me,

Wishing you all the best :)

Silverlining_Eeyore

Post by Silverlining_Eeyore » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:59 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies and support.

slinkykitty> Congrats on making it to Day 3 and you are definitely not alone!
mustloseweight> Indeed! I'm ready to commit!! Off to start my daily thread.
oolala53> I can't thank you enough for the role you play in this community.
catservant> To Sanity & Simplicity!!
MaddieMae> Counting calories/points just gets so tiring... Before you know it we will have 21 days under our belts, then 6 months, then a year! We can do this!
Skelton> Thanks!

Merry

Post by Merry » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:48 am

I had similar thoughts when I restarted last November--tired of yo-yo dieting! I need something long-term sustainable. Slow and steady wins this race. I usually only lose about 2 lbs. a month, but even at that I'm down 20 from where I started. And like Oolala said, there are other benefits to focus on. I like realizing that I can actually say no to a treat and that I have more self-control now--food in the room doesn't have to control me. I also really enjoy knowing what it feels like to not be overstuffed. I was so used to being overstuffed that I never knew when I was full (those "eat when hungry, stop when full" approaches NEVER worked for me!). But after a few weeks I started noticing that it feels better not being overstuffed. And after a few months I started noticing that I could feel where that limit was on S days (not that I always successfully listen, but I do more often than I did before!) It's good to notice smaller successes and to enjoy them. Hang in there!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

Silverlining_Eeyore

Post by Silverlining_Eeyore » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:44 pm

Yikes!!!! All I can say is I'm back....10 lbs heavier😳😫👎

Merry

Post by Merry » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:27 am

Welcome back! Sorry for the gains...many of us can relate though. Hope you stick it out long-term this time. It's hard to resist the faster, flashier methods but at least for me, the losses never stuck, making them 100% not worth it. Think long-term :-).
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:10 am

Welcome back! Been there before! I don't know if you're part of the year challenge, but would love to welcome you to join us. It's really helping me hang in there even though I am having off days. :)
No S Restart 05/22/19

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:44 pm

Welcome back!
No time to restart like the present, I always say. Hope this time's the charm for you.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".