Saoirse's monthly/bi-monthly check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Saoirse

Post by Saoirse » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:50 pm

I am not quite sure how to begin this but will take my lead from Merry’s monthly check-in.
I work in the health services here and as with health services in many other countries, ours in Ireland are a jumble of crises, lack of resources, and short-staffing. All of us do our best to support one another but eating issues, over-eating and bad eating habits are the order of the day. It is part of the way many of us cope. I found the NoS site by chance in the spring and was charmed by Reinhard’s generous, common sense approach and by the completely generous responses ye have towards one another in all these struggles to get on the right side of common sense eating. I read how many of you are dealing with really testing jobs, families to be minded and looked after, elder care, complicated health matters, so much. Really hard things and yet ye are so kind to one another. In late April, I began to keep a daily check-in and did well with loads of green marked weeks (and only two fail days) up to mid-July. Then work went off the rails again completely and so did I. So here I am timidly signing in for the first time. I know I am not up to checking in daily – work levels won’t permit it - and maybe not even monthly, but I’ll do my best to report back. I’ve talked with my colleagues about NoS and hope they will be interested in doing this too. When I can of a night’s end, I’ll read your posts and get energy from them. I just want to thank you now one and all for all you do for one another and for this shy Irish person.

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:18 am

Welcome aboard. If health services has been like many of my jobs over the years, there's always an abundance of food in the lunch rooms or cafeterias to snack on. So I understand how we've all dealt with stress by eating another cupcake, donut, or chocolate chip cookie. At one time I spent a few years in financial services and the old employees called the first year there the Prudential twenty as in pounds gained. In my case it was thirty. Good luck on your journey with No S.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:44 am

Saoirse, so sorry you're in such a stressful line of work. I've been out of the work force for a while now, raising a family. There was absolutely no food culture where I worked many years ago. We were on our feet all day and no one brought extra food or snacks to work. Everyone smoked and drank coffee on their breaks. But the work was so stressful and tiring that I would come home and totally binge! Not good...and I put on a lot of weight.

Welcome to NoS...I wish you much success!

Merry

Post by Merry » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:15 am

Welcome! I hope you find checking in helpful and that you get the support you need--if not locally, here! I know I've struggled with emotional eating in the past (and sometimes still have those thoughts--today was one of those days, and as I drove to the drug store to pick up my husband's prescription, I said to myself, "if this was 'the old days' I'd be buying peanut butter M&M's today!") I like what some others have said recently though--if the problem isn't hunger, food isn't the solution. (If only emotions could be so logical in their desires, LOL!)

Anyway, let us know how we can help and support you; I'm glad you can join us!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

Saoirse

Post by Saoirse » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:06 am

Dear whatsonfirst, e-lyn and Merry,
Thank you very much for your kind thoughts. The wonderful thing about being in the health services is that you can make a difference, so in that way, the work is wonderful despite the stress levels. But all that poor quality food snatched during long-postponed breaks, and as you say, whatsonfirst and e-lyn, depending on a snatched tea or coffee to keep going. And Merry, then all the times that eating emotionally when one does get home, or even eating whatever comes to hand just to get the energy to get chores done round the house in order to get up to bed to fall into it… I am amazed at the courage and determination I have seen in all the posts to keep going and I will be inspired by it.
And between mid-April and July when I managed well, virtual plating became my friend! Lack of predictable breaktimes to eat made it a godsend.
The value of slow and steady, no matter what!
I’ll write in September and let ye know how I have got on. I hope those of ye with health problems especially find some relief and some good health care support, and that there is some good cheer in each day for all ,and the very best of luck to all, Saoirse

bunsofaluminum

Post by bunsofaluminum » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:27 pm

welcome! and from Ireland, no less. You have the same name as the little girl in the Irish animation "Song of the Sea" which I just watched a few days ago.

My daughter and her hubby will be visiting Eire next month. Take good care of them ;)

But you have found a good place to begin.

Saoirse

Post by Saoirse » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:41 pm

Dear Bunsofaluminium,

Saoirse means freedom 'as gaelige' (in Irish) and is a very common girl's name. I have not been able to watch Song of the Sea though it has been made by a such a very skilled creative crowd. Too sad, and i know I would sob myself to pieces.
Lots wrong with Ireland (the economic collapse played havoc with the country) but I still think beneath the surface are some very, very good humankind on this island. And your family will love the scenery.

Harder to get back to good habits than I thought it might be - two days down in good enough order, but need to rebuild good thinking habits.
Thank you to all for being there for so many!