do you use supplements? which ones?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kaalii

do you use supplements? which ones?

Post by kaalii » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:28 am

supplements industry is losing it's sanity just as much as diet industry so im asking this in this sane forum...

1) at the moment im using high quality vitamin C 500mg/day pills... for the first time in my life... and i can really tell the difference in my energy levels etc... vit c helps apsorption of iron from food so that might be the biggest reason (read nr.3 why that is relevant for me)

2) last winter i have "discovered" vitamin D3 as a great cure for my winter blues, which has been bugging me since i have moved to switzerland, where i come from there is a bit more sun, enough to feel the difference of winter being a month or so longer here... i take it only during the winter months and stop in the early spring with the sun rays, less clothes and outdoor activities increasing...

3) i have thalassemia (inherited type of anaemia, all my life) and iron supplements are beneficial to me but i just react extremely badly to them (strong pain in the stomack and constipation) no matter which form im taking them in, no matter which time of the day nor if i take them with food... the only thing that i tolerate well (besides iron-rich foods) but has low iron, is spirulina... so i take it occasionally... it is digusting to me so i need my times of rest from it...
always looking for advanced advice on iron supplementation... last thing i heard was - nettle roots herbal infusion... cant find it here where i live, so thinking of ordering it - should i?

i hear magnesium supplements are also quite important... i try to take it as much as i can through raw cocoa powder added to my cereals, almond milk and honey drink etc... any other way to take magnesium?

and any other thoughts on supplements in general...?
BMI: 18.8
Body Fat %: 17.6
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:25 pm

DH and I take a multivitamin supplement--Centrum Silver. I also have added protein supplementation to some of my meals. I feel like they cover pretty much all the bases so I don't worry about micronutrient/macronutrient shortages due to eating reduced food amounts. I believe that the judicious use of supplements can definitely be a help--YMMV.

Personally, I discovered that my increased proportion of protein has contributed to extra fat loss, so I'm thrilled about that! :)
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

noni

Post by noni » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:30 pm

I only take magnesium to help with sleep, but for my 20 year old son who gets "blue" often, he takes the vitamin D3, along with K2, as he was tested to be short on D. I've read that this is a good combination( Vit D and K2). He also takes a chelated magnesium, as well as my husband. It's just an all around good mineral.
"Never go back for seconds. Get it all the first time." - Garfield

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:32 pm

I too tend to be low on iron & include Grape Nuts & Total cereal most days in my meals & take a prenatal multi along with gummy Cs every day & it's made a huge difference!!

I'm big on vitamins so I take quite a few others. I take vitamin D too, biotin for hair, calcium helps with sleep at night, fish oil, glucocomine because I'm a runner & notice it helps my knees, and zink in the winter because since I started doing that I am sick so much less often & I hate being sick!!

noni

Post by noni » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:50 pm

kaali, I remember when I was pregnant and low in iron, the Dr told gave iron pills that constipated me. Instead, everyday, I took a spoonful of Haddon House brand molasses that was rich in iron, without the constipation. I wasn't able to find it in the stores anymore for subsequent pregnancies, and other molasses brands weren't nearly as good. Maybe there are other brands out there, tho'. Probably a blackstrap molasses.

Bullisaba

Post by Bullisaba » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:23 pm

I am also low in iron and I am just managing to stay above the anemic range by taking an iron supplement. It plays havoc with my digestive system as well but nothing else has helped (and I tried taking vitamin c).

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:52 am

Bullisaba wrote:I am also low in iron and I am just managing to stay above the anemic range by taking an iron supplement. It plays havoc with my digestive system as well but nothing else has helped (and I tried taking vitamin c).
but does it actually hurt you?
my probelm is that iron supplements really hurt me, besides making me constipated...
i end up curled up in bed if i keep taking them... no vomiting (like some people do), but also not going to work, either... cant stand up, put myself straight...so, no way i can muscle through that one...
kind of desperate for alternatives...
Last edited by kaalii on Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Merry

Post by Merry » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:00 am

noni wrote:kaali, I remember when I was pregnant and low in iron, the Dr told gave iron pills that constipated me. Instead, everyday, I took a spoonful of Haddon House brand molasses that was rich in iron, without the constipation. I wasn't able to find it in the stores anymore for subsequent pregnancies, and other molasses brands weren't nearly as good. Maybe there are other brands out there, tho'. Probably a blackstrap molasses.
Yes, find a good blackstrap molasses (try a health-food store). Good source of both iron and calcium (maybe mag too...I'll have to check my bottle tomorrow!)
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:06 am

oh, thank you for molasses tip, too!!
i actually have it in my fridge but just dont know how to incoroprate it in my meals... any savoury meal with molasses advice much appreciated! i dont eat sweet breakfasts, unless on some Sweekends...

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:39 am

I take a multivitamin like Centrum Silver or a generic facsimile. Also take a garlic pill only recently supposedly for heart health and other things which I don't remember at the time. In the past I've consumed huge amounts of protein powder usually mixed with milk, probably for two decades. Believe it or not, that was to gain weight when I was more of weight lifter. I can't say it actually helped, but drinking two quarts of whole milk a day all through my teen years packed on a few pounds. I've also dabbled with glucosamine for joint health and fish oil tablets(joint health?) and they've had no positive or negative effects on me. YMMV. I find that interesting about the Vit. D helping with depression or blue days, so I may have my wife give that a try. Dr's have not helped much in that respect. Thanks.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:41 am

I don't take any supplements (except what rubs off my cast iron pans!).

Bullisaba

Post by Bullisaba » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:53 am

kaalii wrote: but does it actually hurt you?
my probelm is that iron supplements really hurt me, besides making me constipated...
i end up curled up in bed if i keep taking them... no vomiting (like some people do), but also not going to work, either... cant stand up, put myself straight...so, no way i can muscle through that one...
kind of desperate for alternatives...

jen1974 - grape nuts? sonuds interesting... any link how to order of what it is?
I suffer black diarrhea and bad gas pains. I take ibuprofen regularly and use a heat pad on my abdomen. I don't take iron everyday. I take it between ovulation and menstruation.

I get my iron levels tested about 4 times a year (I am perimenopausal). Vitamin c supplementation did not work for me unfortunately.

I would not take iron supplements it if I was not able to stand up or go to work. I feel for you because I know how tiring life feels when iron levels are low. I hope that vitamin c works for you.

noni

Post by noni » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:18 pm

Kaali: I do not like the taste of molasses, but I took it like medicine. A spoonful of it into the mouth, followed by water to wash it down. If you try to find various ways to put it into your food, you may feel it ruins the taste of your meal, and give it up.

Reinhart: My husband's bloodwork came back with high iron. I was sad to leave off cooking with my cast iron pans for a few years, until it came under control with his blood donations.

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:54 pm

noni wrote:Kaali: I do not like the taste of molasses, but I took it like medicine. A spoonful of it into the mouth, followed by water to wash it down. If you try to find various ways to put it into your food, you may feel it ruins the taste of your meal, and give it up.
you are right!
actually, i might switch between spriulina and molasses.. when i need a break from one i will switch to the other...

Traci0829

Post by Traci0829 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:01 am

i use floradix iron + herbs. It's a liquid and doesn't not cause constipation ( I feel strangely writing this in a post to someone I've never met!!! I feel like it such great product I couldn't not share)

Link on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Salus-Haus-Flora ... B0010EI0CA

I also like magnesium glycinate
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0058HWV ... 42019&sr=1

Hope this helps!
Tracey

Bullisaba

Post by Bullisaba » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:43 am

TMR29 wrote:i use floradix iron + herbs. It's a liquid and doesn't not cause constipation
I have never used floradix however, in a chemical analysis it didn't have anywhere near the amount of iron it said on the bottle. There is almost no regulation of vitamins unfortunately.

They might have corrected the problem I don't know. This might be tmi so look away now .... if there is more iron in the supplement than your body can absorb your stool will be very dark.

I use Maltofer which is also a liquid.

Edited to add: on a re-read of my post it sounds very anti-floradix and the story about the misleading label is years old. It just stuck in my mind and now I can't trust the product :-)

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:36 pm

thank you, TMR29 and bullisaba!!

i have tried both, floradix and maltofer...

i really cant remember any more why i have discontinued floradix... i might give it another try, it is easily available in switzerland, and i dont mind if the iron levels are not high in it, as long as it helps at least a bit and my stomack can take it... the same is for spirulina, low levels but at least it helps a bit...

maltofer was also really painful for the stomach for me... although a colleague of mine who is taking it and also has problems with other iron supplements' side effects - found it to be good for her... it sounds like a very good option but i just might be a bit too sensitive...

Traci0829

Post by Traci0829 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:36 am

Kaalii- one more thing to note...I was taking the floradix iron throughout both of my pregnancies. My doctor said my iron profiles were always excellent. He couldn't believe I didn't eat red meat. When I have a long bout of tired spells my husband always asks if I'm taking my iron!!!!

I also have a very sensitive stomach- I always make sure to eat within 30 minutes of taking it (as directed).

Selcazare

Post by Selcazare » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:11 pm

I do! All are prescribed by my functional MD. I take Thorne Research brand Vitamin D3/K2 tincture, Thorne Research Bio-Gest digestive enzymes, and Natural Calm magnesium supplement. I may add a selenium supplement after my next labs come back. A good and needed supplement can be a lifesaver.

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:50 am

i wanted to update: i have finished my spirulina supply and got floradix herbs+iron tincture TMR29 reminded me of... no pain, no constipation!! why did i ever stop using it beofre, i wonder!!
i feel excellent!!
i might occasionally switch back to spirulina (for travels, because floradix has to stay in the fridge and i prefer the tincture to the pills) and black molasses, if needed... good to change the routines once in a while... im so grateful to have found some answers to my iron problems! thank you all!!

oh, and im reading so much lately about the importance in vitamin D in cancer prevention... especially breast cancer!
the autumn has started and im back to taking it, too... for my winter blues and, well, possible breast cancer prevention...

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/cau ... fact-sheet

noni

Post by noni » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:14 pm

kaalii, I'm glad you found your answers!

Bullisaba

Post by Bullisaba » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:22 am

That's great news Kaalii.

I have been trying to eat Teff or Amaranth porridge to boost my iron levels but I have not been doing it long enough to know I it helps.

I live in Australia so the one vitamin I don't need to supplement is vitamin d :-) It is only spring and the UV index was already 11 today which is extreme.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:20 am

When I was pregnant with twins I had anemia and the doctor told me to take Feramax. It's still iron pills but somehow different in that the usual side effects aren't there. I had zero issues. It's expensive though.

Jennie J.

Post by Jennie J. » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:58 pm

Regarding Magnesium, I have used "Natural Calm" magnesium for years and it has been very helpful for my IBS and also helps with stress and digestion in general. Highly recommended. Start out slow as it may cause soft stools.
Jennie

Elyssa

Post by Elyssa » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:12 pm

Kaalii - answer is "YES." I take a high quality (well, what I like to think of as a high quality, anyway!) multi-vitamin that contains some herbs, from a company called "Rainbow Light." I take vitamin C and zinc (the latter to ward off colds - which seems to work really well). Also I take a well-known Chinese herb capsule and a certain seed oil to "balance female hormones," plus a well-studied herb to stave off the blues. So yeah, I am way into supplementation!!! In my view, we have a lot of adverse factors in our modern environment these days: chemicals, toxins in food and water, depletion of soil, GMO issues, and so on. I figure I need all the help I can get in terms of helping my body cope and thrive. Here in the U.S., the supplement industry is definitely gigantic and one needs to be careful. I know in Europe, at least in Germany, it's way different (although the Germans are really into homeopathic meds and "Bachblueten," things I am not convinced of). Be safe & BE WELL!!! :wink:
Ahh... relief!

"No S" has become the life-changing answer to my agonizing questions around food...

Trust in the wisdom of structure.

Shuggernaut

Post by Shuggernaut » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:43 pm

- Daily multivitamin
- Vit C 2000mg
- Vit D 5000IU
- Magnesium citrate 1000mg
- CoQ10 200mg
- Aspirin 81mg

fenney

Post by fenney » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:34 am

Hi,

anyone has experienced buying supplements from online.. i want to buy acerola powder and grapefruit seed extract.. anyone has any site to recommend?

Thanks

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:45 pm

FWIW, I am not a big fan of supplementation except at medical advice. I do take a multivitamin as insurance, but I am not entirely sure I even need that.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.