Nighttime snacking help

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

moderatemeals

Nighttime snacking help

Post by moderatemeals » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:37 am

Hi all -
I am looking for your best tips to avoid nighttime munchies and the what-the-hell effect between the hours of 6-10pm. I'm pretty much in perfect compliance until that time but from dinner onwards, I really struggle and can't seem to keep my days days green no matter what I try. It's SO frustrating!!! I know that part of my problem is that for years I have basically either binged or snacked out of control during these hours. It helps me relax, undwind and sometimes even stay away when I'm really tired. I've tried walking, baths, painting my nails, etc. I know I just need to white knuckle it and STOP eating but if anyone has a similar story to mine, I'd love to know what you did to get more green days. I've been tempted to just give up on No S because I can't seem to keep compliant for very long but I just LOVE the concept so much and know if I can just get it to stick for a few weeks, I'd be able to build on that. Any and ALL tips would be so appreciated!

Merry

Post by Merry » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:50 am

I used to snack a lot in the evening too. I know we say it a lot on here, but a few cups of decaf tea helps me get through rough evenings. I also found the idea of a special snack for my upcoming S day helpful. Sometimes what I would snack on in the evenings wasn't even something I really *loved*--it was just something to eat. Thinking about a special snack helped me with that--and also trying to eat meals I really loved instead. Enjoying the meals and making sure I had enough to eat for dinner helped me not want the nighttime snack as much.

Hope you can find some good solutions!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:40 am

What time do you eat dinner? Growing up, my mom used to eat by 5 p.m. sharp. Since our kids have grown up, my wife and I have gradually moved our dinners to 6 -6:30 and occas. later. Then eat a full plate, and it helps to carry me through the evening. When reviewing my daily check-in, my struggle has been late mornings for a snack.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:19 pm

night snacking was my problem, too... (on 16:8 intermittent fasting, not noS... by the time i discovered noS, night snacking was already the time of the past thanks to IF...)

it took me more than 2-3 months to white knuckle through it... maybe even 6, all-in-all... not giving up was the key... getting up and restarting when i fall, too...

i did, however, buy some natural herbal appetite suppressor oral spray at the local health food store... made of some bitter african plant traditionally used by hunters when they were hungry during the hunt... i used it only as total emergency tool during the evening craving pangs... because it made my stomack hurt afterwards... quite a bit... acidic, heartburn kind of way... i used less than half of the little bottle of it and now i cant even see it how much i hate it... but kept it for "just in case", hahaha...

so herbal teas and water did most of the trick...
moderately (!) reducing carbs and increasing protein, too...
and going to bed earlier to forget about the cravings... :wink:

now the night snacking is really so out of my life that after dinner i can write my daily check-in knowing for sure that i won't eat anything until bedtime... :)
my bf can eat all he wants next to me, offer me food - no temptation...
it is such a relief for my digestive system as well as weight gain...
it is so worth it...
hang in there!!
dont give up!!
BMI: 18.8
Body Fat %: 17.6
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:56 pm

Coming from the perspective of someone who has achieved and surpassed my weight and fat-loss goals using modified NoS:

1. Like kaali, one of my problems was night snacking, and I agree with her about white-knuckling it. There's really no other way around it.

2. I always pray before I eat my meals. I am a Roman Catholic, and I'm a big believer in the power of prayer for all life situations. Being truly thankful for my food and many other blessings before I eat makes a world of difference in staying on plan and being consistent. Whenever eating temptations strike, saying a quick prayer helps me center myself again and continue on my way. :)

3. If you're not a religious person, or even in addition to prayer, I found that laser focus on WHY you want to lose weight (or maintain the weight loss and not regain) is critical to draw upon whenever you encounter situations that will tempt you to stray off plan. Your reason for losing weight may vary from another person's reason, but if it is important to you--it is every bit as valid. Focus on that reason whenever you need to stay strong against ingesting extra calories or unnecessary food.

Hope this helps! :)
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:20 pm

Goodness I am so thankful for these boards and all your support! These are great suggestions and it is so helpful for me to know that people who used to snack as much as me aren't tempted anymore. When I have white knuckled it in the past, it usually only takes a few weeks and then I agree, I don't need to snack. I'm going to try the prayer before each meal (thank you for that suggestion...never tried it for this reason!) I'm also going to try meditation at some point during my day because I've heard it can be so helpful.

I'll post back here again once I've had a few days until my belt (hopefully)!

Thanks everyone!! This boards are truly the best!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:39 am

I recommend also having some reasons you want to limit your eating besides weight loss. There will be times the scale doesn't change at all and you might be tempted to say, wth, but not feeling at the effect of the night snacking habit is a rewarding benefit in itself.

Also, at tough moments, think of what you might have for breakfast, possibly considering a BIG breakfast with something special, or even the non-sweet snack food you're dreaming of (!), and how great you will feel when you get to that breakfast without the night snack. (You can always decide to have a lighter breakfast when you get there.)
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Username

Post by Username » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:52 pm

It may be in my head, but when I drink a V8 immediately after dinner, I'm good for the rest of the night. When I don't, I get hungry.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:35 pm

Who woulda thunk it. :)
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Lady Crimson

Re: Nighttime snacking help

Post by Lady Crimson » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:01 am

moderatemeals wrote:Hi all -
I am looking for your best tips to avoid nighttime munchies and the what-the-hell effect between the hours of 6-10pm. I'm pretty much in perfect compliance until that time but from dinner onwards, I really struggle and can't seem to keep my days days green no matter what I try. It's SO frustrating!!! I know that part of my problem is that for years I have basically either binged or snacked out of control during these hours. !
First, eat a good dinner. so you aren't getting hungry.
Secon, establish an end of dinner ritual. For example, after you clear the table, sit down in a comfortable chair and a soothing beverage, like a gkass of wine or a cup of tea. Whatever your most comforting beverage is.

The idea is to set something in place that tells your brain that dinner is over and there will be no more food until breakfast.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:44 am

i never ate at night because I was hungry. I just wanted to eat! But eating a substantial dinner proved to me that I really didn't need food.

If this is still an issue, consider letting yourself off the hook for a week or two. Plan for something small and of course not a former binge food. You can either plan to have it as a matter of course or just say that you CAN have it if you really want it. Just that pressure off may be enough to break the spell. But there's no shame in easing your way into the nighttime "fast." You might even phase it in only on one day a week, then two, etc. Ypoure going to be eating the NO S way a long time. Just be purposeful and give yourself tons of credit for any success.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

babybird

Post by babybird » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:15 pm

Moderate meals. Hi. I was a huge evening snacker before no S. I had to have a pudding or cookies after dinner and then some more snacks before bed. I didn't snack as much during the day. Now I only snack if it's stress related fake hunger which I'm working on.

It wasn't until I read your post that I realised how much of this habit has changed with no S. Mentally I just tell myslef that my dinner is the last meal of the day. I ensure its something satisfying, filling and something I really enjoy. If I feel peckish I have a glass of water or milk.

Also if you don't have it in the house it will be inconvenient for you to leave the House to go get it.

I'm nowhere near as experienced as the others but if all other methods you try fail, How about making a modification and eating some grapes/ fruit. But u have to be sitting at a table. You aren't to watch tv or do any activity. Focus entirely on the food.
Recovering from a 26 year binge eating disorder