Debventure's Daily Check

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

debventure

Debventure's Daily Check

Post by debventure » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:33 pm

I'm beginning the No S program as written today (and my spouse is joining me), but for purposes of this forum, this is my daily check. So far today I'm experiencing the weirdness of not eating whenever whatever but I'm sure that will pass. I was hungry for lunch! And, it did taste better! LOL. I'm hoping to train my begging brain to become a normal food eater and to put food in its proper place -- at the table for breakfast, lunch and dinner. So far today, I am in the GREEN!
Started No S as written 11/1/2016

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:37 pm

Welcome deb! :) This is a wonderful, supportive forum so you're in the right place. :)
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:38 pm

welcome to you and your husband!

and congrats on your first day of succes!!
BMI: 18.8
Body Fat %: 17.6
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:19 am

Welcome deb! I used to be a permasnacker but eating 3 meals is so much more enjoyable & civilized. I hope you come to enjoy it too!

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

debventure

Post by debventure » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:45 am

Thank you to all those who greeted me so kindly yesterday. I am in good company here!

Day 2 is starting with real hunger and worry that I will feel too hungry all day but breakfast takes care of that paranoia and I'm off to water aerobics. It IS going to be difficult to break the snacking habit (even healthy snacks) but the source of my problem has never been meals but the crap in the snack lane, so I'm doing the right thing and I'm standing by myself on this one. Psychologists and philosophers still don't understand consciousness or the "observing ego" but there is no question regardless of origin that I'm in a big argument with myself over food most of the time. This program ends that and I'm very grateful.

Day 1 was completed as GREEN.

ModBod

Post by ModBod » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:30 pm

That's it! It definitely gives more headspace when you're not having to constantly negotiate with yourself about when and what to eat, it's like quietening a nagging child!! I am finding it a slow adjustment - sometimes it feels super-easy and other times it feels almost impossible (and that's when I come up with really impressive excuses as to why it's right that I should snack!) but anyway, it's a journey, as they say! Look forward to seeing how you get on!
I'm looking to lose about 12lbs...
31.09: 65.7kg/144.8lbs, BMI-25.7!
14.10: 64.9kg/143lbs, BMI - 25.4!

debventure

Post by debventure » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:41 pm

Day 3 dawns with a little less panic over eating and a little more confidence that I can do this (husband is succeeding too). I am not hungry and it's almost lunchtime -- big change from Day 1 and 2. The body goes where the brain takes it. Firm No S rules create an unambiguous day and I feel like I'm settling down.

Day 2 was super GREEN even though we were up until 1:00 a.m. watching the CUBS finally win the World Series!

Who would have ever thought we would both be able to watch such a tense sports contest and not eat or drink alcohol. AMAZING!

debventure

Post by debventure » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:21 pm

DAY 3 was GREEN.

Day 4 dawns with a lot of happiness -- this is really working for me (as I work it). My spouse is also on track and on board with this way of eating. So much more sensible than all the diets we've tried.

Today is our wedding anniversary but we're keeping it an "N" day since we have a nice luncheon planned and no need for sweets or snacks. We're debating whether to designate next Tuesday (election day) an "S" day since we're having a party at our house. Thoughts?

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:53 pm

It would be very hard to have a party without going S-wards! So, as you are hosting the party, I'd advise you to declare it an extra S day and enjoy yourselves (whilst remembering it is not permission to go crazy! just have a bit of everything)
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

debventure

Post by debventure » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:20 pm

Thanks, Raw Cookie! That's the same conclusion we came to and we are designating the American Election Day as an "S" day. Yesterday went very smoothly as an "N" day and we mark it GREEN! That's 4 in a row -- a good start and we both feel it.

Today is the beginning of our two "S" days and I do not feel like pigging out. I thought I would. I love the idea that I can eat something any time I want to for the next 2 days but I also love the idea that I don't have to. The psychology of this plan is working very well with my inner rebel. Because there's always an opportunity to have whatever I want (if not in the instant then in the near future), I don't have to panic eat and stuff everything I really want into my gullet all at once all the while promising myself after this I will control myself. The control is already built into a few simple rules. Much easier to follow than any diet ever.

Somehow (and this is obv. early days for us), this simple plan and the "days off" have brought sanity into our eating. Especially for me, I recognized right away that the key to satiety and controlling hunger is to eat a balanced, healthy meal. I don't have to -- I want to. Yesterday when we went to a restaurant for lunch, I followed the one plate rule but ate something less than healthy. I paid for it with hunger for most of the afternoon. My husband actually said he felt dizzy. We both made it to dinner and the feeling passed but it was an interesting lesson on how to eat on "N" days to make them most enjoyable.

I guess if we listen to them, our bodies have a lot to say about how we should eat!

debventure

Post by debventure » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:26 pm

Yesterday and today are bright YELLOW. I am enjoying the freedom of not eating on a schedule and indulging a little in leftover Halloween candy. I haven't gone crazy and I'm looking forward to my Normal Day tomorrow. This is going well!

debventure

Post by debventure » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:53 am

Today returning to "N" eating was pretty easy. The evening is almost over so I'm marking today a GREEN day!

We had a surprise visit from a couple from Illinois who wanted to "stop by for coffee." My husband bought some Italian cookies to put out for their visit and neither one of us even thought about taking one (though our guests enjoyed them immensely). I told my husband that on "N" days anything that was not on plan was "pig slop" to me (a concept I learned from Never Binge Again). This has been a highly successful psy ops I'm running on myself along with the NoS program.

Tomorrow is Election Day here in the U.S. and we've designated it an "S" day so after only one green day we relax a little tomorrow!

debventure

Post by debventure » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:28 pm

Monday was a SUCCESS and yesterday was an S day. Today, back on track (easily) and barring any sudden surge in rebelliousness today will also be a SUCCESS. I'm getting the hang of this program pretty easily and have passed it along to a couple of friends who are now also doing it whilst exclaiming repeated thanks for giving them such an easy solution to weight loss. So, thanks Reinhard -- we all couldn't have done it without you!

debventure

Post by debventure » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:19 pm

Wednesday SUCCESS and Thursday SUCCESS days, though I was ravenously hungry all day on Thursday even though I ate three balanced meals. Went to bed hungry, woke up in the middle of the night hungry but okay this morning. Whew! Made it through.

debventure

Post by debventure » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:50 pm

Had my first FAILURE on Friday. Just continued to feel too hungry to resist the lure of an extra snack. I continue to see how important it is to eat whole food with plenty of protein and fat at meals elsewise I am WAY too hungry throughout the day, especially on days when I work out in the pool for an hour.

Anyway, happily munching through the weekend and looking forward to a good 5 day streak this week beginning tomorrow.

debventure

Post by debventure » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:57 pm

Whew! Back to "N" days after 2 days of orgy type eating. Even in the midst of some pretty mindless craziness, I still had the feeling that I was beginning to align myself with my own body and needs because as much as it felt like it was mindless eating I was actually very aware of it (thus, not, after all, so mindless) and even more aware of the results of discomfort. I was GLAD to back on a Monday and excited about my first 5 day "N" week ahead (the first one started on a Tuesday; the second week had a Special Day in it). I've had such good results in my truncated weeks; I'm looking forward to my Saturday weigh-in after a full 5 days of NO-S'ing.

Merry

Post by Merry » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:36 am

I hope you have a good week!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:22 pm

Belated welcome! Glad you're enjoying your meals.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

debventure

Post by debventure » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:43 pm

Thanks Oolala and Merry! Today begins Week 3 and I am very excited to be making this my permanent Way of Eating. No more dieting for me!!!

Yesterday was a tough one but it was GREEN!

Doing fine today as well.

For me, it really is about the way in which my mind functions to support the plan -- all food is off limits except at meals on N days, meals are discrete and sugar-free, but anything is available on S days. Keeping to those lines is SO important for my success that I am able to coach myself through the tough feelings, whether physical or emotional, knowing that the strict discipline is what will free me in the end.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:35 pm

Exactly! It IS an inside job. The meal habit just makes it easier, as most slim societies learned.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

debventure

Post by debventure » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:38 pm

Yesterday was a GREEN day for sure though I was pretty hungry during parts of it. The past few days have me wondering if I should add a 4th meal between lunch and dinner -- I just get so excruciatingly hungry around 4 pm and stay that way until dinner, especially on days when I work out in the pool (1 hour). I have to think about this for a few days and see if I can adjust to the hunger, but I don't want to be unsuccessful because I'm not giving myself enough food.

The funny thing is, I've never been a big meal eater and actually cannot eat a lot at one sitting, so forcing more food on myself at lunch is not a good option.

Maybe a protein shake mid-afternoon? Any thoughts from experienced No-S'rs are appreciated!

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:39 pm

I get really hungry late afternoon too, but never wake up that hungry so I do 10:00 breakfast & 3:00 lunch. Adding a 4th meal seems like a great option though if you like smaller meals. Before I ever heard of No S that was how I ate everyday. No snacks, but always 4 meals.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:28 am

Some people have eased into the habit. The important thing would be to declare and be consistent. You could give yourself a period of time to use the strategy. If it's getting you what you want, just keep going.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

debventure

Post by debventure » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:11 pm

Yesterday was a FAILURE for me because I did add a snack on impulse. I think I know the culprit (besides my desire to eat stuff). I was put on a course of steroids for 6 weeks and I think one of the side effects is increased hunger. I believe I am to discontinue them today (dr's appt.) so the whole problem may be moot. In any case, if I am to continue on with the steroids for a brief time longer, I will add a mid-afternoon meal until I discontinue the meds. Thanks to Jen and Oolala for making good suggestions. This is definitely the kind of plan that can be individualized and modified as needed. I just LOVE the idea of Vanilla NoS so much I was trying to cram myself into it perhaps at a time when it would be best to modify it slightly to accommodate my medical needs. :idea:

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:30 pm

Medical conditions trump No S, if needed!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

debventure

Post by debventure » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:21 pm

Yesterday and today were both FAILURE days. Got knocked off my pins a bit with all the medical drama. Went to Costco yesterday and unthinkingly popped a sample in my mouth. Small fail, but still. Today I woke up at 2:30 a.m. and couldn't wait for breakfast time, so I am a bit off at the moment. Nevertheless, I am on track RIGHT NOW and will stay that way for the rest of the day. One or two small failures do not have to result in a free-for-all. I know that much!!

Will be having two S days this weekend and then next week I'll try to make it GREEN!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:22 pm

So smart not to get derailed by these small things. I'm sure your habits are already so much better.

Those Costco samples will be so much fun on S days. Eventually, on N days, you might be looking at the other samplers and thinking, "Didn't they just eat lunch?" or "Why are they ruining their appetite for dinner?"

OOps, I just revealed my judgy self.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

debventure

Post by debventure » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:11 pm

Monday starts fresh with some excitement about what happened this weekend.

The first two "S" weekends, I really hit the candy hard. Just munched my way through Saturday and Sunday in a haze of sugar love. Predictably, I almost erased my weight loss from the week (but not quite). I thought, well, if I only lose a couple pounds a month, it's better than what's been happening the last 35 years.

But. huzzah!

This weekend, I had the candy bowl out on the counter filled with things I like and I basically ignored it most of the time. I just don't feel the same toward a food I can have whenever I want on S days. The thrill of the forbidden food is gone!

I'm not saying that I am a totally changed person, but I can definitely see how NoS can work to perfection for a person like me.

It's all there for me but I don't have to eat it unless I want to.

And now I'm back on what I hope will be a green, successful Monday.

debventure

Post by debventure » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:57 pm

Monday was a SUCCESS! A lot easier to transition to N days when you don't go absolutely nuts on the S days. Probably not news to the veterans here on the board. :D

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:05 pm

It can vary. Sometimes being sick of being so full on S days makes N days a relief.
Last edited by oolala53 on Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

debventure

Post by debventure » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:16 am

Well, the last couple of days have been rough medically speaking and I've been eating erratically as I've been able to tolerate food. Hoping the adjustment doesn't last long and I'm still as committed as I can be to the plan.

So, Tuesday FAILURE
and Wednesday FAILURE

Wishing all fellow NoSer's and their families a very Happy Thanksgiving!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:08 am

Oh no so sorry to hear you're not feeling well. Remember Sick days are S days so technically not a failure.

Feel better!

Linda

ModBod

Post by ModBod » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:55 am

Hope you feel better soon, Debenture!
I'm looking to lose about 12lbs...
31.09: 65.7kg/144.8lbs, BMI-25.7!
14.10: 64.9kg/143lbs, BMI - 25.4!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:07 pm

DEb, when you're officially sick, it's acceptable to designate the days as NWS days, not failures. Not to be used as an excuse but seeing the situation rationally. No S as is CAN support healing but it's not required.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

debventure

Post by debventure » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:15 am

Thanks Oolala, ModBod and Ipearlmom. Today wasn't too bad in the end and I'm hoping there will be better days ahead. I'm giving myself the weekend to recuperate and hope to be back on NoS full strength Monday. It would be so much better for my condition if I could lose the (substantial) extra weight I am carrying around, so I remain committed to this way of eating as well as my regular exercise in the pool.

Hope you all had an enjoyable Thanksgiving. I did!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:59 am

debventure wrote: It would be so much better for my condition if I could lose the (substantial) extra weight I am carrying around, so I remain committed to this way of eating as well as my regular exercise in the pool.

Hope you all had an enjoyable Thanksgiving. I did!
Makes sense to me. My reflux was a big motivator to me especially once I noticed a little weight loss was starting to help. Good for you for sticking it out.

Linda