Newbie wishing this is her last "diet"

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Quayette

Newbie wishing this is her last "diet"

Post by Quayette » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:31 pm

hello
Last edited by Quayette on Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New mindset + new lifestyle = happy life
Wishing it works for me...

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:54 pm

Welcome, Quayette! :)

It looks like you want to lose around 10 pounds? Depending on how strict you are with compliance, it can be done in around 2 months. You're at a fantastic starting body fat percentage--congratulations for that! :)

Just a quick intro/summary--I went from 123-125 pounds to 115 pounds in 2 months. Lost about 2% body fat, and have since lost about 2% more. It definitely can be done, and I did it using a modified form of NoS.

There are lots of different experiences and help available here, so you're in a wonderful, supportive place. :)
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Quayette

Post by Quayette » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:04 pm

Thanks for the encouragement! Wow... You did a great job!!! Had you reached your goal already? How long have you been on this lifestyle?

Quayette

Post by Quayette » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:13 pm

yeii
Last edited by Quayette on Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:43 pm

Quayette wrote:Thanks for the encouragement! Wow... You did a great job!!! Had you reached your goal already? How long have you been on this lifestyle?
You're very welcome! :) And thanks for the compliment! :) I had reached my initial goal when I joined the NoS boards back in June. I started my modified NoS lifestyle in March of this year, and lost my initial fat/weight (from 123-125 down to 115) by May. I since have lost more fat/weight, and have been steadily on plan for 8 months. I'm looking forward to posting my 1-year success story next March! :)
Quayette wrote:And I hope... by January.... I'll be very near my goal weight and follow the No S Diet... pure vanilla...

Any comments???? What do you think???
Ten pounds by January is very doable! If it's important for you to make this goal, you'll need to weigh yourself at least once a week. I recommend daily weigh-ins, so you don't have any major surprises from one week to the next. It's also much easier to adjust the amounts of your food if you track your weight daily. Weight up or staying the same? Eat a little less the next day. Weight down? You're doing well--keep on, keepin' on! Keep doing this until your hit your goal, then continue monitoring the scale to maintain your weight loss. Above all, don't be afraid of the scale--it's a useful tool, and will let you know if you're on track. :)
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Quayette

Post by Quayette » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:38 pm

yup
Last edited by Quayette on Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:16 am

welcome again! :)

i wrote you the answers to your questions in my thread...
have a nice day! :)
BMI: 18.8
Body Fat %: 17.6
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!

Quayette

Post by Quayette » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:33 pm

So far, so good....
Last edited by Quayette on Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:17 pm

The only way I ever got to the bodyfat you are starting with is by a semi-starvation diet and knee-crunching exercise for six months about 25 years ago. I went on to gain 50+ lbs, though I lost five of that before starting No S. I'm well above 20% with nearly 7 years of No S and not willing to do too much different. Bodies react differently! Hope you find your happy combo here.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Quayette

Post by Quayette » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:18 pm

My body needs water, I eat more if I'm not drinking water constantly.
I need less food than what I am actually serving.
I eat way too fast and I'm not chewing my food enough. Too much stress.
I need more veggies too.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:44 pm

Sounds like you see where you could tweak things. That should be good news!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Merry

Post by Merry » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:45 am

I find fluctuations from week to week are fairly normal, so I don't let any one week's weight upset me. Focus on habits. With you being so close to your ideal weight, you may find that changes are sometimes slower in coming, so be patient. I'm not familiar with the acronym for the book you mentioned, but I would also encourage you to not let a repeat of what happened before (losing weight on the Candida diet and then bouncing up again--a trip I myself have taken.) Part of what makes No-S work is the moderation aspect of it. So, if you find that restricting your diet to having no "S" days until Christmas gets discouraging, you may want to rethink that part of your plan. No-S isn't fast and flashy, but it gets the job done if you stick with the habits. You also may find that exercise is an important component at this stage (I've actually never had a bmi that low, even at my lowest adult weight after a year of Candida diet and then 6 months mostly raw vegan--I think it would require a level of working out that I wouldn't be willing to commit to, but as Oolala said, everyone's body responds differently.) Best wishes to you, and hang in there!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

Quayette

Post by Quayette » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:05 pm

Thanks for your encouragment.

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:02 pm

Hi Quayette -
I just read some of your posts and really enjoyed reading French Women Don't Get Fat a few years ago. (Btw - there is a really great recipe in the book for Chicken with Champagne that is super easy and delicious!)

Good luck with your plan! I'm doing a modified version of No S that I really like (no restrictions but only 3 plates a day). I only have about 5-8 pounds I want to lose but more than anything, I want to free my mind from dieting or any kind of food restrictions (other than the quantities). I have 4 kids and want to serve as a good role model for them...and particularly my daughter. There seems to be so much focus on food and dieting nowadays that I actually think it's harder to enjoy food because we are always feeling guilty about it (i.e., is this too processed? does it have gluten? is there enough protein? etc) Obviously eating real, whole foods is the best way to go but I don't want to feel guilty when we order a pizza or have a dessert (which is how it feels for me lately!)

Hope all is going well for you!
Moderatemeals :)

Quayette

Weekly Update

Post by Quayette » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:48 pm

One day a time, one meal at a time.... let's see how it goes
Last edited by Quayette on Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Merry

Re: Weekly Update

Post by Merry » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:06 am

Quayette wrote: I also have 4 children!!! I´m worried too about my girls watching me obsessed about weight, self image, diets, etc. I want them to eat like a normal healthy person.... and definitely I should be an example for them.

One day a time, one meal at a time.... let's see how it goes
Yes! Awesome goal to be an example for your kids.

Congratulations on a successful first 3 weeks!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation