Following No S and not lost weight anyone?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

babybird

Following No S and not lost weight anyone?

Post by babybird » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:30 pm

Hi guys. The title says it all.
Has anyone followed No S to the letter and not actually lost weight?
I have had some red days so am not expecting a loss, I'm actually too scared to weight myself incase I have gained. In 11 days I've had 3 red.

Recently I have been thinking more about the nutritional value of food and the No S diet not having that proven weight loss formula like other diets do, so will it actually work...I'm scared. Patience is key, I know. I've been told. But I'm getting anxious.
Recovering from a 26 year binge eating disorder

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:16 pm

Hi babybird. I can answer your question from my own personal experince, I am sure there are more experienced No Sers with wiser words than mine. I have found the weight loss to be slow, especially at first. I think it was half a pound a week on average for several weeks. Then things started to speed up a bit, although my overindulgence this Christmas has set me back a little.
What I would say is that this way of eating is all about addressing your relationship with food. You have to trust in it and give it time to work. You need to commit to just getting the habits ingrained at first and trust that weight loss will follow. This may take some time depending on how ingrained your 'bad' habits are. Again, speaking personally, it has been such a relief to discover this way of eating and to say goodbye to diets once and for all, that I have no issue whatsoever with slow weight loss. In fact One of the unexpected benefits for me is that I am able to be a bit kinder to myself about my weight, I think its because I have discovered that I am in fact able to eat in an ordered and controlled way.
I don't know if any of that helps, I know with regular diets you usually get a big weight loss in the early days, but this is a way of eating for the rest of your life so just give it time :)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:51 am

There are no guarantees. Tough to hear, but true. But ELEVEN DAYS in is WAY too soon to know anything for sure!

There are better people to speak to this.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Merry

Post by Merry » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:29 am

Great answer, Bluebell!

I've lost weight on other diets (and lost faster than I've lost on No-S). But I've never kept that weight off because diets don't address life-long habits and I wasn't willing to continue those diets life-long. So, I came to No-S tired of yo-yo diets, and decided I just needed to change my habits and stop gaining weight (every year it was creeping up more. Every diet I've done in the past, I regained more than I lost when I stopped. I couldn't do that any more.)

So...for me, I was mentally ready to commit to No-S and change my habits long-term. I decided that if I ever went 3 months without losing anything (while actually following the plan), that I would then re-assess whether I needed to tweak something (such as the size of plate I use, or the contents of the plate--perhaps focusing on more fruits & veggies, or considering whether S days were way too crazy etc...). So far I've never had a time period that long of not losing. Most months I lose about 2 lbs, but not every month. Still, I lost 23 lbs. my first year, and I'm very pleased with that.

I like to say, it's not fast, and it's not flashy--but I didn't put this weight on overnight, and I won't take it off overnight. But I can make changes that actually help me learn self-control and moderation over time, and that is a huge blessing.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

babybird

Post by babybird » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:04 pm

Great to here from you. I just needed some reassurance when I start to panic. One thing I have noticed is at meal times on a green day I eat really slowly. I try savour the food more. In addition on non emotional green days I find the plan super easy not having to think about food. However eating less wheat/ bread/ butter/ avocado has become so ingrained within me I do think about wether I will end up ballooning as my body isn't used to eating those foods.

On the positive I'm eating so much less sugar, I am starting to dislike it more on s days. Fast forward 21 green days so I can weigh to see if I have lost!!!
Recovering from a 26 year binge eating disorder

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:54 pm

One thing I would add about weighing yourself, I was convinced that I needed to break the habit of weighing myself regularly, the whole thought process of 'Oh I've lost a pound I can have a treat now' or 'Oh dammit I've gained a pound might as well eat anyway!' was something I needed to break. However, others on this forum gently pointed out to me that I could in fact use the scales in a positive way, to realise that my body does have natural fluctuations in weight, that a pound or two here and there is no big deal, and that the overall picture is more important in the long run.
I have become much more relaxed around the number on the scales, and whether or not I should weigh myself, if I feel like it I do, if not no big deal. Stepping on the scales holds no anxiety for me now.
I may be way off track and you may not have these thoughts yourself but I just thought it was worth mentioning :)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:39 am

There is no obligation to eat more wheat, bread, butter, or avocado. And carbs do take more water to process, so the body does carry more water when we eat them. It depends on other factors if it's a cause for concern.

Just do your best for a few months to put some food on a plate and savor it! You will have plenty of time later to fiddle with what's on the plate.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)