scorpio's newbie check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

hkgscorpio

scorpio's newbie check in

Post by hkgscorpio » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:30 pm

Hi All!
I am so excited to have found this diet. I have struggled with binge eating and in college dabbled in bulimia :( For me, food begets food, and boredom makes me eat. I was able to avoid the kitchen but i have a toddler who needs to be fed 4-5x a day, so I am stuck being around food all day. For me, food is better out of sight out of mind, and when i worked in an office i ate before going in, lunch, and that was it. Now I work from home so it's a grazing fest.

The idea is to force myself to sit down and have a MEAL with my child, rather than just picking. I have a stomach condition so paleo style is better for me, i'm just addicted to bread/sugars.. So far today:

Breakfast - some turkey sausage, a yogurt, shared waffles with baby

lunch - i fell off the wagon a bit and planned ot have a nice lunch around 1pm, but had to feed baby at noon and was peckish...so I had some of his yogurt and then decided that would be my "meal" so I then had some fruit, some bread, more yogurt (i am on an antibiotic atm so doc recommended a lot of yogurt) and some of my child's carrots. Once he went for a nap I broke down and snacked on two dates.

Trying to hold off for dinner.

Yesterday was a similar pattern, had a good breakfast, ran errands, had lunch, and then picked a bit and wound up eating dinner iwth the baby.

I tell myself I am I am stronger than food; it doesn't walk into my mouth on it's own, but it's so tough!

hkgscorpio

Post by hkgscorpio » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:35 am

So for the rest of the day...challenge 1, around 2:30 pm, about to run errands with my child, hungry emotionally and really wanting that snack, a luna bar, some protein, something. My victory is that I managed to go outside and tell myself to hold out till dinner! I did however, when buying something in whole foods eat a sample of one of the prepared foods...i don't know if counts as a snack...I did then to tide me over get a decaf iced coffee with some milk.
early dinner with my son, some turkey, avocado and fruit for dessert. Now 9:30 and hungry - will take some time to get the plating right since I'm not eating enough in my meals to compensate for lack of snacks. :?

So clearly a red day, but there were some victories - willpower is a muscle, I really believe that.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:38 am

Welcome, Scoripo! Being at home with a small child is really challenging when working on improving your eating habits, so definitely be proud of the small steps you are making in the right direction. Hang in there!

hkgscorpio

Post by hkgscorpio » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:03 pm

Amy3010 wrote:Welcome, Scoripo! Being at home with a small child is really challenging when working on improving your eating habits, so definitely be proud of the small steps you are making in the right direction. Hang in there!
Yes! It is so hard, especially not to nibble when he doesn't touch his food...don't want it to go to waste, and it forces me to be preparing food all day.
Today I was swamped with work and trying to feed him while dressing for his sitter to take over, so breakfast was a yogurt, shared a waffle with him, and some avocado. The challenge was 'no seconds' because it was a meal eaten on the run. But, there was no Snack or no Sweet so getting there! And a nice pat of butter on the waffle because this lovely diet doesn't tell me what macro nutrients to eat, no fat, etc. :P

Merry

Post by Merry » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:36 am

Welcome! So glad you can join us :-).
hkgscorpio wrote: Yes! It is so hard, especially not to nibble when he doesn't touch his food...don't want it to go to waste, and it forces me to be preparing food all day.
When my kids didn't finish a meal, I wrapped it up, put it in the fridge and saved it for snack time. It doesn't go to waste, you aren't prepping food all day, and if they're really hungry, they'll eat it. Kids don't really need snacks as often as we think (especially if it means not finishing meals). Do things like carrot sticks or apple slices for snacks--at least then they get something healthy if they do snack. Hang in there! Toddler days can be challenging, but also so wonderful!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

hkgscorpio

Post by hkgscorpio » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:30 am

Thanks for the tip! you're totally right, I should just put it away. Sometimes though if i'm feeding him something I like (such as avocado), i'll take a little bite too. My son generally only eats 3 meals a day and one snack. I am kind of determined to have him NOT be a snacker like me, so all of his meals (except if he's hungry in the stroller) are in the high chair, and I try to avoid giving him food if he's fussy. I am noticing other small children constantly have a snack cup of cereal or crackers with them, and are mindlessly noshing all day. We have a snack problem in this country...even in office meetings. I have lived abroad and unless it was breakfast or lunch, there wouldn't ever be cookies at a meeting at 3pm!

As for the rest of the day, I'll call it a S day because the antibiotic I'm on is making me pretty nauseous, so I have had to have some dry carbs to settle my stomach. Apparently if I don't take it with a full yogurt or dairy item it does this.
Merry wrote:Welcome! So glad you can join us :-).
hkgscorpio wrote: Yes! It is so hard, especially not to nibble when he doesn't touch his food...don't want it to go to waste, and it forces me to be preparing food all day.
When my kids didn't finish a meal, I wrapped it up, put it in the fridge and saved it for snack time. It doesn't go to waste, you aren't prepping food all day, and if they're really hungry, they'll eat it. Kids don't really need snacks as often as we think (especially if it means not finishing meals). Do things like carrot sticks or apple slices for snacks--at least then they get something healthy if they do snack. Hang in there! Toddler days can be challenging, but also so wonderful!

hkgscorpio

Post by hkgscorpio » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:09 pm

Haven't checked in in a few days, and certainly no perfect days yet..and coming off the weekend, but for 3 nights in a row i held off after lunch for a good dinner, and have been snacking less in between meals, trying to get that enjoyable feeling of hunger that makes food taste so much better! While I'm still sneaking a few sweets and having trouble with proper plating, I'm doing better on the snack front. Small victories. I am trying to think about what I can having during each meal, now that i'll have an appetite, unlike in the past when I was more of a grazer. Sweets have been limited to a few special peppermint oreo insides. Yeah, this is about accountability, and i'm one of those 'only eat the frosting' people.
Still trying to figure out that i need to put more on my plate to start b/c there are no seconds. My new tactic will be to remind myself if I take too much, it can simply be wrapped up.

hkgscorpio

Post by hkgscorpio » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:13 pm

also realized I'd be more accountable if I posted what I ate. Today:

B: on the run because was late getting the toddler to his doc appointment - part of a bowl of ginger banana oatmeal. Put the remainder in the fridge.

L: remainder of oatmeal, some turkey / avocado (staple foods for me), piece of husband's quesadilla, one oreo

s - small 'snack' of 3 choc espresso beans as i'm so tired.

D: will make the delicious orzo recipe adding in broccoli & chicken that I made on Sunday. Having something to look forward to cuts down on snacking!

hkgscorpio

Post by hkgscorpio » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:02 am

Finally a green day! well not totally, but for me.
I did have a 'snack' before breakfast - every day when I wake up I need to eat a small something dry before my tea otherwise if I have it on an empty stomach I get nauseous. So that's on my plan.

b- steak/egg/cheese sandwich at cuban restaurant
l - not hungry for lunch but late in the afternoon had some cheerios, soy milk and some baked snacks.
d - made beef stroganoff for family. took a decent portion this time and put away what I didn't finish.

Love this plan! :D

Merry

Post by Merry » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:17 am

Yay for a green day!
Respect Moderation

hkgscorpio

Post by hkgscorpio » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:58 pm

It is an S day (saturday) but trying to stick to a clean day but failing miserably. I realized danger zone for me is after lunch / before dinner, when I am still spending time around the kitchen food. Today:

b- part of a waffle, tea

l - got home from tough workout and spouse bought favorite type of donut, so some donut and then some fruit and avocado, made pancakes for husband and baby so had a few bites.

Was going to be good till dinner since I have some things in the works (chicken paprikash and roasted cauliflower) but at around 1:45pm wandered into the kitchen for a drink...husband wanted something to eat so I offered to cook for him, made him some chinese stirfry and there began the slippery slope of tasting the stirfry, finishing the donut, and having some gelato :oops: :oops:

I expressed my frustrations to him, and he said "what did you eat? just some ice cream", and I recounted the fried rice tastings and donut remains. He shrugged it off; i feel like I failed again.

We are off to a party for our child where there will be donuts as a snack - if I can avoid these i'll consider that a success.

taking each day at a time..

hkgscorpio

Post by hkgscorpio » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:58 am

Another check in...weekend went so so, Sunday better than Saturday but not great. Today was not a green day, but it was better. My husband was home with us so there tends to be more eating when he is around. No S has been helping me get better at stopping to think before eating "do i want this" and yesterday, because it was after dinner, i 'wanted' chocolate - all we have in the house is dark chocolate and I prefer milk. I sat down alone with the piece of chocolate and realized...I didn't want it, and I don't even really like that dark chocolate enough to eat it. Small victories.

Today:
B: yogurt, 1/2 a waffle, some pancake
L: more yogurt, bowl of berries, some chicken left over
Snack...stomach felt off so had some cheerios with my toddler.
D: battered fried type chicken & polenta, 2 clementines. I didn't take enough polenta at first and I had some seconds.

after- a hot chocolate. this is part of my nightly wind down - that or a cup of tea. Another no S victory- i came home from the gym at 1pm, and normally after a workout I walk in the door and eat. I made myself stop, think, shower first and then have my meal after. So progress is being made
So not a :D

Merry

Post by Merry » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:43 am

Gotta celebrate those kinds of victories :-)
Respect Moderation

hkgscorpio

Post by hkgscorpio » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:38 pm

Merry wrote:Gotta celebrate those kinds of victories :-)
Thanks! I agree!
Today was a green day but then I came back from the gym and my neighbor baked Xmas cookies and gave me some...I started to eat them without thinking. bad. I realized they had peanut butter so I finished what i started and threw the rest out (we keep no peanuts at home since my kid is allergic to nuts). I am not going to beat myself up about it, let it go, and get back to my day and look forward to lunch.

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:22 pm

Hi! I loved reading through your posts. You can really see the baby steps of progress you are making, yayyyyyyy! I have had babies six times over so my whole life sounds like yours, it's great incentive to know others are out there (snacking leftovers/sampling) exactly the same and making a life change as well. Good luck, you're doing great!

hkgscorpio

Post by hkgscorpio » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:55 pm

Allisonmeg wrote:Hi! I loved reading through your posts. You can really see the baby steps of progress you are making, yayyyyyyy! I have had babies six times over so my whole life sounds like yours, it's great incentive to know others are out there (snacking leftovers/sampling) exactly the same and making a life change as well. Good luck, you're doing great!
Thanks for the encouragement! It is really not easy. I am now a full time working stay at home mom. My husband is home once or twice a week and there are two mornings I have a nanny, but that's it. Instead of working in the living room, me and my son hang out in the kitchen / dining room (which is now a playroom), so i'm always around food. I hope to one day get to the point to where I can keep munchy food around, but i'm not there yet, and frankly, part of the point of this diet is realizing that meal food is so much healthier. With my toddler, he eats 4x a day or so - snacks at the table - very little 'snack' food, ie I don't give him cereal and goldfish, if he's fussy in the stroller he does get some pita bread (less messy). I focus on feeding him fruits/veggies/good fat/protein, if I personally ate his diet i'd have no problem!!

Today so far:

B: turkey sausage, chai latte & two clementines and some chocolate espresso beans....kind of a sweet but i'm TIRED so i'll allow it.

My husband is having dinner with a friend, so tonight I can be regulated and just eat with my son and be done. Last night my husband came home at 8:30 and I munched with him. This is an issue - spouse who comes home late most nights he is in the offce...I'm happy to be done eating by 7 - i also believe in the idea of a 'rest' overnight and intermittent fasting, but I have trouble sitting down while my husband is eating dinner and not partaking a bit.