Feeling downhearted, new member and weight gain

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

babybird

Feeling downhearted, new member and weight gain

Post by babybird » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:12 am

Hi guys! I started the no S eating plan last month in November. I've had 10 green days so far and two red days which were PMT induced sugar cravings.
I have had bulimia/ binge eating disorder since I was 13 and I'm now 34.

This is the only plan which has made me control my eating and it so freeing not to worry about binging as the structure is working well for me.

However I initially lost 3 pounds and I weighted myself again this morning and I'm back to my original start weight of 11 stone 9 pounds. Feel very disheartened and it took a lot of strength for me not to have a binge as I felt upset.

My meals are generally well balanced and my BMI is 26 so I'm not hugely overweight. Should I reduce bread from my diet as I do eat wheat at most mealtimes.... Any advice Plz.

I love this way of eating and I really thought this was the cure to end my binge eating but I won't manage to continue if I can't lose weight or even gain.
Recovering from a 26 year binge eating disorder

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:40 pm

Hi and welcome to NoS. While I am not a seasoned No S-er (been doing this since October) I have had some fantastic advice on these boards. Like you I am finding the simplicity and freedom of NoS just wonderful. I have been a yoyo dieter my whole adult life and now in my 40s.
Firstly I would say, don't panic. The best bit of advice I was given in the early days was to focus on getting the habits ingrained rather than panicking about what the scales say. Really, 3 pounds is neither here nor there, our bodies are made to fluctuate by the odd pound. What is more important is that you are sticking to the plan. Gradually over time NoS will begin to work its magic without you even noticing, as your NoS habits begin to creep in to S days.
Secondly I don't believe you should cut out any food groups. One of the joys of NoS for me is that I no longer have to agonise over every mouthful, should I eat this, can I have that. As long as it fits NoS I can go ahead and enjoy my food. I don't think for me the plan would be doable long term if I restricted my diet, simply because ai have been there and done that and quite frankly its miserable.
Hang on in there amd trust in NoS a day at a time. After all what are the alternatives?
Good luck.

babybird

Post by babybird » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:53 pm

Bluebell. Thank you for taking time out to reply to me. Your words make a lot of sense and ice read it before on this form. It's important to form good habits. It's just the thought of gaining weight is scary especially as its been at the forefront of my mind for so many years.
I'm eating foods with fat such as a touch of butter on toast or fried chips occasionally which I would never usually have. I would be too scared to. I'm trying to eat foods which I would enjoy but within a sensible limit.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:38 pm

Hi, baby bird! Sounds like you've made some food progress in reducing binges. A lot of us on here have a history of binge eating. Like blue bell said, three pounds is neither here nor there. Women have weight fluctuations throughout the month for various reasons. I agree, keep building the habits and enjoying the freedom of no S.

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:49 pm

"I'm trying to eat foods which I would enjoy but within a sensible limit."

This is what I believe to be the long term aim of following No S. Just remember to be kind to yourself and recognise that it may well take time to get there. I understand that gaining weight is scary for you, but I truly believe that if you take time to list all the benefits of NoS, you will see that they are worth pursuing. Also, I would gently challenge you to ask yourself this question: Who is actually going to notice if I have gained a few pounds? People don't generally notice until you have either lost or gained a significant amount of weight. You may feel it on your waistband or see it on the scales, but the reality is that you won't look any different whatsoever if you are a few pounds heavier or lighter.
I am sure there are others who will be along to support you on your journey, there are some wonderful helpful people on this forum. :D

babybird

Post by babybird » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:36 pm

This forum is so wonderfully supportive. I'm not even active on social media but I felt it important to join and ask for help and I hope to support others too.

Bluebell - Food for thought- no one will notice a few pounds weight gain. This process is very much a psychological challenge and it will take time for me to change my thought process.

One thing that has become very apparent is I only feel ' hungry' when I'm stressed or anxious about something, no matter how big or small the issue is. And it's extreme hunger I feel , almost overwhelming and I can't relieve the feeling unless I eat, which would previously have turned into a binge.

Of course it's not real hunger, my brain has become programmed over the years to turn on the hunger signal when I'm anxious, in order to deflect attention away from the uncomfortable anxiety feeling and onto food.

Well with this plan, I can't snack, so for 5 days when I get the ' instant hunger feeling' I have to ignore it...but I do stop for a moment and ask myself, what was I thinking a few seconds ago. Ive realised there has always been something negative i was thinking Subconsciously. The majority of the time I've not even been aware having these negative thoughts, I've always just felt the urge to eat. Crazy !!!
Can anyone relate to this?

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:42 pm

If you have been a binger/compulsive overeater, please please please use No S to treat that, NOT your "overweight." If you have no present health conditions, your weight loss expectations are likely to get in the way of your adjusting your appetite. Only people who are diagnosed with a weight-related condition should be aiming at weight loss specifically.

Also, please try to find another word to describe the desire you have for food when you are not legitimately hungry. It does not come from the same system that signals a real lack of food, but is hijacked by a different system that uses food for the "reward," but it's a misnomer because that part of the brain is NEVER satisfied by the substance. It helps to try to separate it in your mind so that you start seeing it for what it is.

I like "jonesing" myself, stolen from another long time member.

I started with similar problems but more weight than you. Weight loss is not the problem! Compulsive eating is the problem. Let No S help you learn to wean yourself off it. It will take time to work out the particulars, but you have probably spent enough time failing at this, so why not give yourself the next year? Otherwise, it could go on for decades...as it did for me.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

babybird

Post by babybird » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:00 pm

Oolala53- thanks for posting. I've re-read your advice several times. It's a whole new perspective at looking at my weight loss journey.

Basically it come down to me fixing my disordered eating habits first. The noS plan has helped me tremendously in the last few weeks I've been following it.

I never looked at it this way. I intend to give it a year as you say and although I know I'm eating much less with this plan that I would normally be, I can't shake the sense of fear I have in case I gain weight as I'm eating normal food.
I really need to be patient and kind to myself.
My s days are very chaotic eating so I may need to add some structure but having a read through on this forum, posters say it does com down.

I have so much hope and optimism.

Oolala53- I'm really happy that this has helped your disordered eating. That's fantastic. Do you feel emotionally free? I know I have spent so many years fixated on trying to find a healthy relationship with food and my body. It feels liberating to eat this way.

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:47 pm

babybird it is wonderful to see that you are feeling so positive. NoS certainly turns a lot of our ideas about food upside down! I came to NoS with lots of preconceptions, for me these were mainly about what I could and could not eat, what I should be counting or cutting out, such a mental strain. And such freedom to let it go once and for all.
Good luck to you and keep posting!