What's your favourite quote from The No S Diet?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Rikki

What's your favourite quote from The No S Diet?

Post by Rikki » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:54 pm

I'll start. My favourite is, "your resistance now really means something" from the No Seconds chapter.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:14 pm

Great idea for a thread, Rikki! When I read through the book,I highlighted all the parts that stood out to me. There's so many,but I'll just pick one. On page 86: " A little temporary hunger between meals isn't going to kill you. And the hunger you're experiencing is really very little by historical standards. People who really go hungry throughout the world wouldn't even recognize what you're feeling as hunger."
This makes me feel guilty for getting grouchy that I have to wait a whole two hours before sitting down to a plate full of delicious food!

Merry

Post by Merry » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:02 am

Oooh, great thread idea! I'll have to go through and highlight some and decide!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

Tortie

Post by Tortie » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:26 pm

I'm sorry that these aren't the exact quotes..

The first that bit me on the bum, was:

something like...You are 50 lbs overweight, you have no business worrying about antioxidants.

and another, I'm not sure that it was in the book, but I read in on the thread about French Women not getting fat

"The one caveat I have is: French women live in France, they have deep structural support for the way they eat in the culture. Because of this support, they don't need explicit rules. We do".

These two really helped me 'get it'.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:37 pm

Too many. I run a team on Spark and they have a kind of billboard on each team. I started going through the book and posting what I considered strong ideas. I've found one on nearly every page. But post away! I like being reminded without reading the book myself.
Last edited by oolala53 on Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:03 pm

I have a few, and they are a timely reminder for me right now. I have just reverted to all my bad habits this Christmas and I need to focus on why NoS has been working so well for me.

1) 'Ask yourself if you can imagine staying on a particular diet for the rest of your life. If not, don’t bother starting; it’s a waste of time and will'

2) 'You will lose weight on pretty much any diet if you stick with it; the problem is, you won’t.'

3) 'On the No S Diet, no pleasure is denied, just delayed and contained.'

4) 'The No S Diet gets progressively easier and becomes largely unconscious.'

5) 'So don’t eat when you’re hungry. Don’t eat when you’re depressed. Don’t eat when you’ve seen a good number on the scale and you think you can afford a few extra calories. Eat when it’s time to eat, just like thin people did for thousands of years.'

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:00 pm

Bluebell wrote:5) 'So don’t eat when you’re hungry. Don’t eat when you’re depressed. Don’t eat when you’ve seen a good number on the scale and you think you can afford a few extra calories. Eat when it’s time to eat, just like thin people did for thousands of years.'
I really like this thread. I especially love this quote above!!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:15 pm

Osoniye that one you have picked out is the one I need to most remember! Maybe I should stick it up in my kitchen!

Merry

Post by Merry » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:13 am

Tortie wrote:I'm sorry that these aren't the exact quotes..

The first that bit me on the bum, was:

something like...You are 50 lbs overweight, you have no business worrying about antioxidants.
YES! I remember this one sticking out to me too!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation