Everyday Systems
Home * Discussion Home
No S Diet * Shovelglove * Urban Ranger
HabitCal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterJoin! It's free and easy. 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Babybirds check in

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> Daily Check In
View previous topic :: View next topic  
babybird

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: Babybirds check in Reply with quote

Started 25th November. Had mostly green days so far. It's helped significantly with controlling emotional urge to eat. I've lost baby weight this year by following diet plans but was slowly putting the weight on again and it caused me to have uncontrollable binges. More so that usual. I've read the book and have felt confident in following it.

Ironically today was the first day i questioned the plan for no reason. Well actually I was craving chocolate all day and found the plan ridiculously hard for the first time.

I plan to weigh in on the 25th of December. Exactly one month after I've started. My weight initially went down by 3 pounds then back up and I was super stressed. Hence only deciding to weight myself once a month.

Last edited by babybird on Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
babybird

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

21/12/16 green day as was yesterday. So many urges to eat Ferraro Rocher!! Several times I had the instant - I need to eat as I was anxious about little things. Kept thinking well I just can't eat sweet as its a N day and the urge passed very quickly.

Previously I would convince myself to have just a small amount which would lead to more and more. Then afterwards the guilt would start. I would feel well I'm not going to lose weight now. What diet plan shall I follow.

Tomorrow is an S day and so far they have been erratic and I hope to be calmer tomorrow.
babybird

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S day for me today. I take Thursday and Saturdays.
I always look forward to an S day. Eating sweets but I'm always glad when the day ends and although I try to control the amount of sweet I eat I always fail. . This is something I can definately work towards over the coming weeks/ months.
babybird

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awful day today. Felt strong urge to eat marshmallows and gave in. Then decided it would be an S day today instead of Saturday ( tomorrow). So I basically ended up eating on and off all day. Felt uncomfortable and out of control. Technically it would be a red day but I convinced myself I shouldn't take 2 S days apart like I do. ( Thursday and Sat) - So as I already started eating sweets I changed it.

Lesson learned. From next week I will follow vanilla No S. Take Saturday and Sunday as S days so that way when I have an urge to binge on sweets I won't talk myself into changing the plan.

The mind can be a manipulative thing.
Merry

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

babybird wrote:
21/12/16 green day as was yesterday. So many urges to eat Ferraro Rocher!! Several times I had the instant - I need to eat as I was anxious about little things. Kept thinking well I just can't eat sweet as its a N day and the urge passed very quickly.

Previously I would convince myself to have just a small amount which would lead to more and more. Then afterwards the guilt would start. I would feel well I'm not going to lose weight now. What diet plan shall I follow.

Tomorrow is an S day and so far they have been erratic and I hope to be calmer tomorrow.

Good for you! I have a box of Ferrero Rocher to divide into our stockings, and I haven't dared open it! Will have to try not to smell them when I do tomorrow night!

1 year and counting!

28.5 lbs. down, 34.5 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.

"Surrender to the sensible." - Yellowtulips
"Believe conquering sweets is doable." - Oolala
Merry

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

babybird wrote:

The mind can be a manipulative thing.

It sure can! Sorry you had a rough day, but at least you're looking at it and learning from it.

Hang in there!

1 year and counting!

babybird

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your support Merry.
Yesterday was a green day. Very easy to follow, no urges to eat between meals and didn't think much about food all day.

Today is the day I have been following no S for one month. Did I lose weight.NO! Should I be surprised, NO!

Having evaluated this past month, I had around 6 red days and all S days were out of control. I thought I was doing well with green days but when I analysed it I realised just because I eat a cookie or two and don't binge this does not technically make a green day.

So this month I will be strict in marking green days only if I follow vanilla No S.

Yes I am disappointed not to have lost a couple of pounds but it's a wake up call too.

I will have to apply some mods to S days until I have my eating under control. It's insane how I can eat 3 meals and nothing in between and then on an S day I feel out of control, eat non stop and will the day to end. It's all psychological with me.

The positives I take away from following the plan are that I CAN control urges to eat sweets and occasionally it's not difficult. I look forward to meals which is something I've never felt before. My plate always has one quarter portion of fruit or veg which i enjoy. If weight loss doesn't happen over the coming months I can increase it to a third portion of my plate.

I still get anxious about eating bread / wheat as we have all heard how this increases weight. I don't know how true this is. Currently I'm eating a varied diet, including some pure butter. My mind does still question whether this will allow me to lose weight but I guess time will tell. I have the evidence from how well other posters have done.

Tips for the coming month- build habits. Be honest with green/ red days. Now for the 21 day challenge. I'm currently on day 4!!
RAWCOOKIE

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This first month has been useful for you to learn about yourself. Your forward plan is good. You'll be fine. My body definitely holds onto fluid/weight when I eat bread/wheat, so I have to keep an eye on how much of it I eat.

I hope you have enjoyed a nice Christmas Day.

13.6.15 124.25lbs
1.3.17 112.25lbs
babybird

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you rawcookie- . your words are kind. And I hope you enjoyed those mince pies!

Today was a red day for me. Wasn't able to follow the structure after lunch felt an instant sugar craving ( emotional urge) and gave into it. Feels like I'm always battling those urges. If I abstain for even 5-10 mins the urge passes and I no longer think of wanting to eat something sweet. But those few minutes are so tough and I end up like a possesed zombie.

The positive is I ate a lot less during the urge that I would have done prior to NO S. Everyday is a learning curve. Onwards and upwards.

Tomorrow marks hopefully day 1 of the 21 day target
RAWCOOKIE

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

babybird wrote:

Lesson learned. From next week I will follow vanilla No S. Take Saturday and Sunday as S days

Didn't you take Sunday (Xmas Day) as an S day?

13.6.15 124.25lbs
1.3.17 112.25lbs
babybird

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raw cookie- no I didn't- It was a regular day for me.
babybird

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week because I had red days during the week I didn't allow it. I'm starting it from next week raw cookie. I posted this Friday
bunsofaluminum

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

babybird wrote:
This week because I had red days during the week I didn't allow it. I'm starting it from next week raw cookie. I posted this Friday

I'm not SUPER experienced at this, having been at it for less than a year, but I've seen advice to others, not to cancel S days because you had red days in the week. It puts you in a Credit vs Debt mindset, (I had a red day so I "owe" a day) which is very diet-y. Keep your S days.

keep on going. Smile I trust that this works, but it does take time, a lot more than dieting...but this is permanent, not a diet that ends and you gain it back. At least that's what I hear.
babybird

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunsof/ thankyou for posting. Ur right it is a dieter mentality. But currentky my S days are chaotic and stressful so I wouldn't yet be able to add S days on top of red days. It is something to think about in the future though. I will be looking for mods for S days until my eating is under better control.

Monday- was a good green day for me. Slightly spaced out mealtimes- over 6 hours between breakfast and lunch and then a large gap with dinner. I was super busy today. It meant I was a lot hungrier so I filled my plate up a big higher than normal, still keeping with a quarter portion of fruit/ veg. A positive day. Day 1 of 21 day challenge completed
Merry

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

babybird wrote:
Bunsof/ thankyou for posting. Ur right it is a dieter mentality. But currentky my S days are chaotic and stressful so I wouldn't yet be able to add S days on top of red days. It is something to think about in the future though. I will be looking for mods for S days until my eating is under better control.

The encouragement in the No-S book is to focus harder on green days rather than worrying about S days for awhile. Get solid on the habits first (that's the thing that helps you have less wild S days.) Hang in there!

1 year and counting!

babybird

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red day yesterday, red day today. Gutted. Today I initially marked it down as green as if was.

To explain what happed today. Family were over and I made wraps. I put one in a plate. It was not a full plate of food as I was busy feeding the baby. I was full enough but was too busy to eat properly and load my plate up once.
Two hours later I convinced myslef to have another wrap- I justified it to myself saying I didn't eat a full plate full before. Actually I wasn't hungry but I was stressed out by comments a family member made when she came. But I managed to convince myself I wanted a second helping. Then after I thought well I overate and il have marshmallows as I was still feeling stressed. That led to more junk. I tried to stop but couldn't.

Lesson learned today- I only have 1 attempt to pile my plate up. No virtual playing techniques for me yet.

It's my babies first birthday soon and as we r having party I have some sweet foods like marshmallows I don't normally purchase. These r trigger foods for me when stressed so I'm hoping once their gone I won't eat them. I was close to throwing them out.

Still enjoying my one plate meals and relaxed during non binge moments. Don't feel as overwhelmed at breaking this 'diet' as I would if I followed WW, SW or MFP.

If I continue having red days I might not lose weight. I need to stay focused. Yes. I'm building habits!!!
kaalii

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

babybird wrote:

Lesson learned today- I only have 1 attempt to pile my plate up. No virtual playing techniques for me yet.

this is a valuable noS lesson for me too... still no virtual plating for me and i think there never will be, unless an absolute emergency - but even then marking it red seems more honest to myself...

hang in there, you can do it...
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!
babybird

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green day on Thursday. My first one on a Thursday as I previously took my S day then. Positive and eat green day!!
babybird

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another green day. The third one this week. I would love to make it 4 but it's an s day tomorrow. I will aim for a green day though. Sunday I have a party so plan to enjoy it fully!! I really hope to type my progress tomorrow and say I managed a green day!!!
oolala53

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're in my radar now! Wink

There is no S better than Vanilla No S.
threewhales

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following you through 2017!
Cynthia aka threewhales

Things should be as simple as possible, but not simpler.
~Albert Einstein
babybird

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the support guys!! Yellow day yesterday and today. Looking forward to a week of green
threewhales

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can do it!!

Things should be as simple as possible, but not simpler.
~Albert Einstein
oolala53

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw your post on Non-scale victories. Good stuff!

A member of another site I participate on went through an official BED program in Holland. There, they were prescribed a rather rigid plan, but generous. The member questioned it immensely but later wrote a blog about how important it was that she find out that she could stick to a regular routine of eating. She was so vulnerable to her whims before. I had told her that years before, but I'm nobody. (I think they're doing her a disservice by making her think she has to eat six times a day or she'll be too tempted and go back to bingeing. Eating fewer times a day has been key for me, not to mention that there are very good health reasons not to do it.)

Though No S doesn't demand slower eating, it seems like an advantage to me, too.

babybird

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took some effort for me to post my update. I'm just so disappointed and embarrassed. Have been having too many red days. Eating meals during the day is easy, but I'm craving sweets in the evening. It's all emotionally connected when I get anxious I can't resist eating rubbish to suppress how I feel. One sweet leads to two which leads to full on binges. Bulimia tendencies have returned since last week. I was doing reasonably well up until now and No S was helping me to stop acting on the binge urges. I would think well I can't eat sweet as its a N day and within a few seconds the craving would dissapear. I really, really don't know what's changed. I'm still fully committed to this way of eating.

I've had good advice on steps to take when I feel emotionally overwhelmed and stressed but at that moment nothing else matters. It's always the same time in the evening the negative thinking strikes and I need sugar.

Two strategies I aim to use:

Remove all sweets from the house.
Use a healthy meal replacement in the evenings. It's high in protein and fat. . Ive decided on Purition having researched it. It's made of whole foods.

Last edited by babybird on Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
babybird

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As its not really a slimming product and its high in nutrients hopefully this will make me less likely to act on a binge knowing I've consumed something calorific and fatty.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm still unsure why the sudden change. I did think it could be hormonal but It would only last a couple of days not several.
babybird

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green day today. Feels great after so many red. Felt the urge to overeat in the evenings but tried to ignore it and it went away.
Also instead of the 21 day challenge I will aim for 5 green days in a row
Something I havent yet managed.
oolala53

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gently recommend against the meal replacement. Have real food that you chew well and take your time eating. It's okay if some of it's calorific and fatty for now.

One of my spiritual teachers in talking about the difficulties of a spiritual path said once not to wish for ease but to wish for strength. It is surely convenient not to be plagued by desires to eat, but if we depend on that, we are extremely vulnerable. That's why I'm not in favor of avoiding all triggers, though I think your idea of not having sweets around is smart, and I don't believe in forcing them on myself. There is no shame in wanting to limit access of what is basically not even a food.

Just try to think BEFORE you crack that whatever you do is likely what your future habit will be. (Paradoxically, if you DO crack, it's better to think that the past is the past and is no indication that you will always crack!)

No matter what, it's usually just a matter of a few hours. Have you ever had to live through a few hours of a headache or toothache? You get through it. You can with this, too.

babybird

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back!!
What a difficult month it's been.
I became complacent at hardly losing weight and slowly my mindset adjusted to reducing calories. It's was all subconscious at first. Replace breakfast with a high protein shake etc etc. The positive pattern that I had developed eating 3 daily meals soon stopped as binges became much more frequent. I guess I was hungrier and desperate to lose weight.
I bought slim sip to control appetite and decided to follow No s whilst on a packaged meal diet- Diet chef here in the U.k.
babybird

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've realised all my shortcomings and am back on vanilla no s.

It's surprising how the mind can make excuses to change without realising. I still thought I was fully following no S but with tweeks but it was taking me further away from the plan.
oolala53

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been only a couple of months. Maybe it's good you got it out of your system... Razz

kaalii

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad that you are back, babybird!
noS's beauty is in what it does with the mind if we give it a real chance... and the body naturally follows... it works from the inside-out, i feel...
that is why by far the most of the succes here is just doing it the vanilla way...
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!
babybird

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update. I havent managed to lose any weight in 4 months but then again, i havent gained any- not even a single pound. Despite all those binges.

Im still struggling with bing eating and with following no s im aware of my triggers- any negative emotion no matter how big or small.

Having had blood tests recently, it transpires my hormone levels are abnormal. Not really a surprise as i always knew i had PCOS. Im wondering if this contributes to binging. Im unsure.

One modification im trying is to eat fruit in between meals only if hungry. The second is no sugar - ever - unless its out of the house ( restaurant/ party). My main issue was always controlling my sweet intake. I can never stop once ive started so hopefully this will help me with better eating habits at home.
oolala53

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on still trying to work the habits! May I ask what you mean by "struggling to follow No S?" Does that mean you aren't actually compliant a lot of the time, or that you have to use some effort not to eat between meals to stay compliant? Also, what are you bingeing on now, if not sweets?

How often per week do you think you could accept having to deal with strong urges? Is "never" the only answer you consider worth holding out for?

If you think you could hear some more on this, please let me know. I know I wasn't always ready to hear options, so I won't go on and on. Don't be afraid to be honest. I know before No S, I couldn't imagine that I was going to be able to do anything anything to stop the nearly daily gorging. I had given up for awhile trying because I was so sick of failing at it. I didn't want to hear what anyone had to say.

I have total faith in your ability to manage this issue over time.

oolala53

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure wish we'd hear from you.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> Daily Check In All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: