Lisa's Back at it--A new Start!

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Dietlife

Lisa's Back at it--A new Start!

Post by Dietlife » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:50 pm

Hi all,
I started NO-Sing in 2006, and slowly lost 30 pounds, from 153, down to 123. I maintained that weight until 2018 when I started to slowly gain some, but honestly, it was okay--because I was still in the healthy weight range. The pandemic changed the way I eat, and I stopped No-Sing. Suddenly, I was eating sweets and snacks many days of the week, as well as drinking too much wine each day. Slowly but surely, I gained back the weight. As of now, I am now back to 153. I am frustrated that after so many years of learning this new way of eating, I stopped doing it--but I do think the pandemic changed the way I looked at the world. I was off work, and my grown kids were all home, I loved the time we spent together watching shows and movies during dinner, and loved all of the eating (with seconds) plus glasses of wine.

The problem is that I never fully went back to NO-S after the pandemic. Instead, I kept eating what I wanted, when I wanted it--and instead of stopping at a glass of wine while cooking, I started drinking wine with dinner, too. The calories added up, and that is what has gotten me to this place again.

I know that this board is a lot quieter these days, but I still visit it to re-read old posts and check in on people. I sincerely want to get back to a healthy weight (I am just over what is considered overweight for my height, and I want to be at least 10 pounds down from where I am now.

I lost weight very slowly with No-S, so I know I must be patient and consistent for it to work. I plan on checking in occasionally and updating myself on my progress. My belly is big right now, and I look forward to not looking in the mirror and feeling disappointed. I keep having to buy new clothes, too--which is annoying. My jeans don't fit right, and my things that were medium or small don't fit me suddenly. I am small-boned, so weight gain is very obvious to me. I miss the days that I used to feel confident in my body. I used to go try on clothes and I surprised myself by fitting into almost everything I tried on, and now the opposite is true. Or, it fits, but it doesn't look good on my figure anymore. My cholesterol is up and the weight is showing in my face as well as my body. I look bloated and tired.

So, off we go. I will check in next week, and hopefully will have a loss to post.
Lisa

Amy3010

Re: Lisa's Back at it--A new Start!

Post by Amy3010 » Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:14 am

Welcome back, Lisa! It sounds like the pandemic put your habit train onto old tracks - I feel your frustration! But you were able to change those tracks with No-S in the past, and even if it takes time, you can do it again. Hang in there!

WINhappy

Post by WINhappy » Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:09 am

Hi Lisa!
Welcome! It's nice to "meet" you! I understand and sympathize with basically every word of your post. Weight management is tough, and the default is weight gain. I'm glad you're making your well-being a priority and glad you've joined the board. The details of everyone's situation and approach may be different, but we're all basically in the same boat (working towards our own happiness and peace) so we're here to cheer you on.
Best regards, WINhappy
Sometimes the coolest thing when you were a kid- remains the coolest thing.

Dietlife

Post by Dietlife » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:07 pm

Thank you, Amy and Win! I didn't change anything last week and am now up to 156 this morning. :oops: I mean, it makes sense if I refuse to change, then I won't lose. I need to adapt my long-term healthier habits that I used to stick to. I am back this week, and hope that my willpower (which I used to have in abundance!) will return. I think willpower and setting limits for myself are a muscle that has gotten out of shape along with my body.

I work at a new job (I work in education, but last year, I was promoted to a very desk-oriented cubicle job). I used to run around all day taking care of things and seldom had time to sit or eat at my desk. Now I sit most of the day, and it is hushed at my job and the minute I am hungry I go to get snacks in the kitchen. In our department, we have lots of meetings and training that I help organize, and the snack food is all stored in my cubicle. This requires lots of restraint on my part not to just get up and get a back of crackers or chips. People in my office are always bringing in doughnuts for the office or other treats as well.

I have to start really setting limits for myself. I am just not sure if I am capable anymore. I don't know how I shifted so far to this side of life where I can't take care of myself.
Lisa

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:35 am

That makes it really hard, having tempting food stored so close to you. I rely much more heavily on not having food I don't want to eat around than on my limited willpower.
Is it possible to store snacks in the kitchen you mentioned rather than your cubicle?
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

WINhappy

Post by WINhappy » Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:38 pm

Hi Lisa, I just wanted to reach out and say "hi" and that I hope you are doing well. Best, WINhappy
Sometimes the coolest thing when you were a kid- remains the coolest thing.