2017 One year No S Challenge

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:35 am

I've strayed from NO S many times. I'm always wandering off to try some other scam, er,I mean diet. I stopped by the bookstore tonight and found myself looking in the diet section. I am hoping some of you will join me on this challenge and we can encourage each other. Honestly, to go an entire year without dabbling in a new diet would be a miracle. If I can just focus on NO S and not let myself give up I would be so happy. On a side note, I wanted to buy a new cookbook tonight. There are soooo many that it was overwhelming. Many ,many paleo cookbooks. I was tempted. Haha. Going paleo and never eating dairy or bread again.... Like THAT'S gonna happen. :lol:

Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:03 am

I'll join you. I'm tired of gaining and losing the same 15 pounds over and over again, and I want to make peace with food. I grew up in a family that definitely believed "food is love", yet mercilessly made fun of overweight people (behind their backs, of course). I started my first diet when I was about six as a result of all the food and weight obsessions around me and had a minor bout with an eating disorder in my 20's. I've never had a severe weight problem, but I would dearly love to "eat like a normal person" and stabilize my weight!

Merry

Post by Merry » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:25 am

I love it, go for it, Maggie!

I fully intend to be here a year from now, but can't wrap my mind around a year-long challenge. I need things in smaller bits and have appreciated the monthly challenges for that!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

goodcooker1

Post by goodcooker1 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:35 am

YES!! I am with you. This came right at the right time for me. My WW subscription ran out a couple days ago and I vowed not to re subscribe. (Since it doesn't work anyways) So tired of suffering from diet head syndrome and losing and regaining the same few pounds over and over. Let's do this!!

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:35 pm

Yay, good cooker and desert rat! I'm going to post here when I'm contemplating switching to low carb, calorie counting, paleo etc. Don't let me go back down those paths!.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:45 pm

So, to help you all understand why I NEED to commit to sticking to just one diet, I'll give you a glimpse into my "diet journals". I keep a little calendar in my bathroom and I use it to record weight, medication changes, menstrual cycles, etc.
2014 Calendar, starting weight 191:
April : No S
May: 16:8 intermittent fasting
June: Atkins
July: No S
August: Calorie counting
Sept: 16:8 IF again
Dec: No sweets

2015 Calendar, starting weight 193:
January: No sweets
January-April: CAlorie counting using My Fitness Pal(lost 8 pounds)
May- June:16:8 IF. AGAIN
July-Oct: No S, but not consistently
Oct: Atkins for a week
Nov/Dec: NOS

2016 Calendar, starting weight 193.6
Jan-April: No S. Had way too many red days and gained 2 pounds
May: Ate like it was the end of the world
June/July: back to No S
Sept/Oct: 16:8 IF. Yes, again.
Nov: back to No S. Current weight, 199

Please, help me! I'm not even worried about weight loss at this point. My mind is constantly telling me that if I just go back to (fill in the blank) it will work this time. My goal is to get sanity.

tobiasmom

One year

Post by tobiasmom » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:33 am

I could have written this post! I started my first diet, Jenny Craig, at age 10. It has been almost 30 years of Weight Watchers, calorie counting, carb counting, Trim Healthy Mama, paleo, and occasionally No-S. I change diets within the same day 😝. I have never had great success with No-S, but that's because I never stick to it longer than a week or so. 🙄 I LOVE the idea of sticking with ONE thing for a year. I have a horrible track record....but I want to join you! All these years of diet hopping have gotten me at a weight close to what I weighed full-term pregnant! 😳😳😳. The only plan I know I can stick with long-term is a plan that prescribes normal food and doesn't cut out any food groups. I need to learn the delayed gratification and moderation....but I am willing to spend this next year doing that!!!!

I am going to give it my best effort!!
Military wife and homeschool mom of two boys, 15 and 10.
No-S restart 01/08/23
SW: 239

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:39 am

Just put food on a plate three times a day and things could be very different by next Christmas! (7 years next week)
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

babybird

Post by babybird » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:14 pm

Hi MaggyMae!!
Hope your well! I would like to join you in having a No S year, with no other diet involved!

This year I also was chopping and changing plans. With a newborn to look after and points/ syns/ calories/ ,macros to count I was very tired and frustrated. I would always go over my allowance which led to guilt then overeating. I feel sad I've wasted so much time in my daughters first year focusing so much on weight loss strategies, that do work when you stick to them.. But don't allow for normal long term eating.

Having spoken to my partner he has said it was a 'positive' thing I dieted as it has allowed me to lose weight, around 25 pounds but I was slowly putting weight on again , around 5 pounds. At one point I had around 4 apps on my mobile phone all to track different diet plans.

Here is hoping for a more relaxed/ sane method of eating in 2017 which will hopefully lead to slower but permanent losing of pounds!!!

I hope to follow you in the coming year and will add how many green/ red days I've had in the coming months
Recovering from a 26 year binge eating disorder

babybird

Post by babybird » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:20 pm

I would like to ask if others can relate to this but I've noticed that as I don't have anything to follow with no S apart from a set structure-3 plates a day, I've been bored as I'm not reading literature on the diet or googling or calculating/ evaluating a specific diet. I've been bored... As I have nothing to focus on.

I don't know if that makes sense. With other plans I would get consumed with understanding the diet inside and out but with No S it doesn't allow for this. It's almost as though I enjoyed investigated every last detail of a new diet.I would spend hours reading forums and reading success stories books/ meal ideas using random and odd ingredients.

I think I need to focus on a new hobby and let the 3 daily meals take their course.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:33 pm

Yes, it does, and is what some experts consider an obsession. I certainly have it and haven't been able to break the bond. I don't completely condemn myself because it is an area of interest, and a career counseling program I went to years ao said I should pursue an area of strong interest, but I know to some degree it is just falling back into an easy way out of facing unpleasant tasks and areas of life. On Spark, on the binge free team I lead, I have a thread called, What ELSE is my life about? Meaning what else could be central, if food is handled? Not being married nor having children nor having family close by nor a career that fulfills me (let's not even try to handle that, I've been trying for 40 years) and waning interest in old pursuits definitely represents a major challenge for me. But I also get some satisfaction being able to encourage others. and I do know that in slim cultures, they actually spend a fair amount of mental energy on eating, too, though it's mostly about pleasant memories and anticipation, not how not to eat too much.

I do have spiritual pursuits, but those can be challenging, too. Nothing else to do but keep moving forward.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:13 pm

Glad to have you on board,Tobias mom and baby bird! You are right oolala.... Things will be very different a year from now if I stick to this goal.
Baby bird.... What you said completely makes sense. I don't enjoy reading fiction, I only like reading about diets or cookbooks. I'm glad I'm not the only one who enjoys getting immersed in learning about a new diet! I think in order to be successful on NO S I will have to avoid my favorite hobby of watching YouTube videos about diets. There's one show I love called food hospital, but when I watch it, I then think I need to try the diet they talked about. Like oolala said, I need to figure out what else is in my life to focus on and enjoy. I used to quilt and make crafts and play music before my son came along. It's hard to think about having quilt pieces out and trying keep them organized with a four year old running around! Maybe I'll learn to knit or something else that can fill that void of studying diets. When we're struggling, we can come here and get support. I love that we all have a connection and understand this struggle.

goodcooker1

Post by goodcooker1 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:18 pm

Maggie....I have been back and forth between all of these diets you mentioned myself for way too long. It's time for some sanity! Boy though it's so hard to not think of carbs...points....calories....fat and all that craziness while grocery shopping or even before a meal. It's going to take me a while to recondition my way of thinking. I also have an obsession with nutritional books and diet books. I start reading one of these and it gets me second guessing what I am currently doing. I will have to pack them away. We got this!!! :lol:

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:24 pm

I don't think there's a problem with cookbooks, and even some of the specialty ones, like vegan, vegetarian, paleo. Wanskink says people who explore new foods are more likely to maintain lower weights. I took a macrobiotic cooking class years ago and really appreciate what I learned about cooking grains and vegetables. I try replacing the obsession with baking flour products with getting better at those things. But I don't consider myself microbiotic.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Merry

Post by Merry » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:08 am

babybird wrote:I would like to ask if others can relate to this but I've noticed that as I don't have anything to follow with no S apart from a set structure-3 plates a day, I've been bored as I'm not reading literature on the diet or googling or calculating/ evaluating a specific diet. I've been bored... As I have nothing to focus on.

I don't know if that makes sense. With other plans I would get consumed with understanding the diet inside and out but with No S it doesn't allow for this. It's almost as though I enjoyed investigated every last detail of a new diet.I would spend hours reading forums and reading success stories books/ meal ideas using random and odd ingredients.

I think I need to focus on a new hobby and let the 3 daily meals take their course.
I have noticed that to some extent--it's what keeps me reading on here and on the FB page, and I've also re-read the book several times.

If you want a new hobby related to food, consider exploring new delicious recipes for your family, or new foods to expand your horizons in that way. Or, maybe you'll want to explore types of exercise that you might enjoy.

Of course, babies and child-rearing take up a lot of time too :-). You might consider it a blessing that your time is freed up from all those things :-).
Respect Moderation

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:13 pm

In our defense, I think part of the reason we spend that time is that the new regime can be challenging to our habits and the cultural habits, so we want that bolstering of our new point of view. Obviously, most people can't just go, oh, is that all I need to do? and do it. Though yes, there are those who say, just tell me what to do and I'll do it. But most need support.

If you want an idea for how to continue the obsession :roll: , I've spent a lot of time on the web looking at material on countries' meal habits, especially traditional French and Italian ones, on evidence of cultures with little snacking, Brian Wansink's food lab work, habit theory, and anything else related to the concepts.

This looks like a good one, too. https://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=11189

I can even do dishes while I listen to that one!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:38 pm

Merry wrote:
babybird wrote:I would like to ask if others can relate to this but I've noticed that as I don't have anything to follow with no S apart from a set structure-3 plates a day, I've been bored as I'm not reading literature on the diet or googling or calculating/ evaluating a specific diet. I've been bored... As I have nothing to focus on.
I have noticed that to some extent--it's what keeps me reading on here and on the FB page, and I've also re-read the book several times.

If you want a new hobby related to food, consider exploring new delicious recipes for your family, or new foods to expand your horizons in that way. Or, maybe you'll want to explore types of exercise that you might enjoy.

Of course, babies and child-rearing take up a lot of time too :-). You might consider it a blessing that your time is freed up from all those things :-).
exactly as merry says!

with mind and time freed up from obsession with food/diet and sanity about it restored through noS i have chanelled this energy into:

-decluttering and downsizing - (i put my home on a diet, so to speak, and enjoying the results so much... material, emotional and mental... and it is big enough a challenge for me to take it seriously)- 15 min. flylady style decluttering and konmari method combined inspire me the most... and im reading that some people who go through decluttering, downsizing and deowning in a quality way also lose the extra weight... it is such a profound work, i can say already although im only 5-6 weekes into it and only half of my home decluttered... i am spontaneously finding myself dealing with stuff i hated and feared - and, most importantly, im actually enjoying it... wow and only wow!

-budgetting - (the "accoutant" of my calorie-counting mind is given her righfull job - accounting - and is taking care of and upping my game in personal finances and abundance nurturing) - the oldschool envelope system budgeting is my starting point with the recent discovery of virtual tracking from goodbudget.com to modernize the parts of finances that still have benefits of doing them virtually... but i use the rl envelopes too... and the benefits will be spent on more travel/experiences/helping family back in my home country and not more stuff, definitely...

-decision to adopt a dog - (in march/april after we move home) to accompany and stimulate me in my enjoyable walks/runs outdoors, urban rangering and bike rides... and bring even more love and care into our home and lives... i wanted this basically since my old dog died in my 20s... then life happened but now im ready again to take on this responsability and joy, finally...

all this, i find is more than enough research and inspiration seek-intensive.. and way more beneficial and sane than my old researching into diets and other ways to waste life...
Last edited by kaalii on Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BMI: 18.8
Body Fat %: 17.6
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:29 pm

Merry Christmas babybird, Why not focus on an exercise program to go with your NoS? Either shovelglove, heavy hands walking, swimming, yoga, or whatever you choose. You can research that "stuff" for years to understand and refine it. Meanwhile let NoS do its stuff, so to speak. Cheers.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:45 am

Merry Christmas, everyone! I have decided to take a knitting class in January. There's a cute little yarn shop in our town's historic district. They have one day a month where you can come in and knit for charity.... Baby hats for preemies, scarves for the needy,etc. I am so excited! A new skills that I've always wanted to learn, and a chance to give to the community. AND, it will be hard to snack while knitting! :D

babybird

Post by babybird » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:24 pm

Seasons greetings Merry Mae! That's sounds like a great idea and you will have some cute things to show for the knitting class! I love knitted newborn baby cardigans. My daughter had some and they were adorable. All the best

babybird

Post by babybird » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:28 pm

I've decided to start running again. I prefer first thing in the morning and my husband can only accomadate that after the new year as he will look after our daughter whilst I go. He is currently super busy until then.

I can also do the 30 day shred. Something I completed back in 2014 but I have no motivation for that. actually I barely have motivation for much these days. Not sure if it's lethargy or laziness or looking after a baby.

Tortie

Post by Tortie » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:04 pm

MaggieMae wrote:So, to help you all understand why I NEED to commit to sticking to just one diet, I'll give you a glimpse into my "diet journals". I keep a little calendar in my bathroom and I use it to record weight, medication changes, menstrual cycles, etc.
2014 Calendar, starting weight 191:
April : No S
May: 16:8 intermittent fasting
June: Atkins
July: No S
August: Calorie counting
Sept: 16:8 IF again
Dec: No sweets

2015 Calendar, starting weight 193:
January: No sweets
January-April: CAlorie counting using My Fitness Pal(lost 8 pounds)
May- June:16:8 IF. AGAIN
July-Oct: No S, but not consistently
Oct: Atkins for a week
Nov/Dec: NOS

2016 Calendar, starting weight 193.6
Jan-April: No S. Had way too many red days and gained 2 pounds
May: Ate like it was the end of the world
June/July: back to No S
Sept/Oct: 16:8 IF. Yes, again.
Nov: back to No S. Current weight, 199

Please, help me! I'm not even worried about weight loss at this point. My mind is constantly telling me that if I just go back to (fill in the blank) it will work this time. My goal is to get sanity.
Like others, I could have written this. Different diets and "eating plans"and the years would be 2013 to present, the weight 172 lbs to 183 lbs, but otherwise the same.

After years of attempting No S then abandoning it to do nothing but overeat or try something different for 5 minutes, No S finally clicked for me last September.

And then in October of this year, my Dad passed away.

All my excess weight is from grief eating. I thought waiting for an extended period of time when there was no recent loss in my life was what I needed. I realize now that this magical time may never come.

I think if I had been doing No S for the past few years instead of faffing about with other plans, Dad's death would not have knocked me so far into the pit of stuffing myself to numb the pain. Sure, there would have been some wild unplanned eating, but I probably would have quickly returned to No S as my safe anchor to keep me sane around food.

My Dad's death has also brought some unpleasant family members back into my life. The sort I have to keep strong boundaries with. And the type of relatives who are not very kind to overweight people.

The stress of this, has me overeating one day, and entertaining quick weight loss schemes another. Because if I'm thin, I'll have more confidence and be more likely to maintain my self-respect and boundaries around abusive people....right?! Wrong.

I would very much like to join your one year challenge, MaggieMae. I really need No S, and this really needs to be my year to commit.

Lizzy6

Post by Lizzy6 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:34 pm

I am new here. I was browsing the web for diet info. I found this place, listened to some podcasts, and read some posts.

I can relate to being in diet hell. It is a dark, dark place.

I am not sure if my temperament will let me make a one year commitment, but I would like to give this diet a try. I need to lose about 50 pounds!

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:22 pm

Glad to have you on board, Tortie! I am so, so sorry for your loss. I'm sorry you have to deal with unkind relatives. Feel free to post when you're having a stressful day and let us encourage you.
Welcome, Lizzie! Don't worry about committing to the full year if that seems overwhelming. The board also has monthly challenges. I'm so excited to get going and even happier that I have you wonderful friends who know what I'm going through. :D

babybird

Post by babybird » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:42 pm

Welcome on board Tortie and Lizzie. I wish you both well for the coming year. You will find some incredible support on this forum so feel free to post as much as you want and ask others for their invaluable advice. They truly are a supportive bunch.

One piece of advice I would give is to be kind to yourself and if things don't go to plan, take a lesson from it and move on. This is not and all or nothing diet plan. This comes from a person who lost 0 in their first month.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:24 am

babybird wrote: One piece of advice I would give is to be kind to yourself and if things don't go to plan, take a lesson from it and move on. This is not and all or nothing diet plan. This comes from a person who lost 0 in their first month.
This is perfect, baby bird! This is my goal....to mark a bad day and move on. I'm going to TRY to focus on habit and not weight loss. I've always given up after a few red days. Learning and continuing on the no S plan is my hope for the new year.

Merry

Post by Merry » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:33 am

Welcome Lizzie--you can do this! (And as Maggie said, join the monthly challenges if a year is too long to commit to).
Respect Moderation

Skelton

Post by Skelton » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:48 pm

There's so much of tremendous value in the posts on this thread, thank you for starting it MaggieMae.

My own history on No S is very similar to yours, MM. I've written here on the boards about my struggles many times and won't repeat them here!

I feel that I can't commit to a year of sticking to No S, but I'm happy to commit to just over one month now and then renew my commitment on a monthly basis.

So I'm here and I'm committed to No S, ie not going to start any other plan, until 1st February. I'll start my daily check in again and will also join the January challenge.
"We stop looking for the better diet and start looking for a better life." pangelsue

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:18 pm

Thanks for adding to the conversation, Skelton! I love the quote at the bottom of your posts. That's EXACTLY what I'm hoping to do this year!

Tortie

Post by Tortie » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:18 pm

Thank you MaggieMae and BabyBird, for the condolences and welcome.

I had my first green day yesterday. It was a challenging one, but I made it. I will start recording in the monthly challenge thread next month.

Committing to a full year challenge, is, for me, about letting go, and giving myself a break from all that 'diet head' and confusion around what and when to eat. It feels like I'm committing to letting myself off the hook for a full year. There's a bit of and unburdening feeling to it at the moment. I have so many challenges and changes in the upcoming year, not having to stress about dieting and weight loss or sedate myself with overeating seems like a bit of a vacation from crazy.

Thanks again for the idea and thread, MaggieMae.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:47 am

Just want to say I hope no one is caught in that vise of thinking, well, I have until Jan. 1 to really commit so I'll just keep overeating S's until then... I know most here have already started No S, so this might not be an issue, but just in case: do whatever you have to not to feel you have to eat everything in sight because next Monday, you diet... hugs to all!
Last edited by oolala53 on Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:36 am

Oolala, you read my mind!!! Haha. I thought about making this week full of s days, but I didn't. I definitely still have that mentality of indulging because I'm getting ready to start a new diet. The fact that I'm sick probably helped, too. :lol:

Lady Crimson

Re: 2017 One year No S Challenge

Post by Lady Crimson » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:43 am

MaggieMae wrote:I've strayed from NO S many times. I'm always wandering off to try some other scam, er,I mean diet. I stopped by the bookstore tonight and found myself looking in the diet section. I am hoping some of you will join me on this challenge and we can encourage each other. Honestly, to go an entire year without dabbling in a new diet would be a miracle. If I can just focus on NO S and not let myself give up I would be so happy. On a side note, I wanted to buy a new cookbook tonight. There are soooo many that it was overwhelming. Many ,many paleo cookbooks. I was tempted. Haha. Going paleo and never eating dairy or bread again.... Like THAT'S gonna happen. :lol:
The timing on this is great. I too have strayed from No S. The crazy thing is that No S works for me. After a singke wek or two, it becomes a habit and I have few problems with it. But, then the weight loss slows and I get impatient and tell myself I'll only go on the other diet for just a short while--to get down to the next "level". Then I'll come back to No S. But it never works out that way. After each fad diet I feel so terrible that I don't return to No S.

The crazy part is that I recommend No S to everyone even though I am not doing it myself.

The reason this is timely is that my department at work just announced a weight loss contest for 2017--all of 2017. Not the typical 12 week contest where you can buckle down and starve for a few months but from Jan 3rd to Dec 2017. So obviously my only choice for this challenge is No S. There is no other diet that I can possibly stay on for an entire year.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:32 am

I hope you won't feel too much pressure to lose at the rate some others might.

We had a contest once at work. I thought the winner should have had to give the money back if he gained the weight back within a year, but I didn't say it out loud because I knew it would have been perceived that I was being difficult. When I think back, I think he would have been able to keep the money, but I'm pretty sure now a few years later, he is close to the weight he was before he lost. Whereas I weigh the same or less than I did at the end of the contest.

But it's not actually a contest. This is just eating.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

threewhales

Post by threewhales » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:56 pm

Count me in!
THIS is absolute perfect timing!!! Thank you MaggieMae!
I have enjoyed reading all of the responses on this thread, it's nice to realize it is not just me with the diet hopping!
I have only been successful three times in my life at releasing pounds...age 16, I stopped eating at night. Age 27, portion control with WW. Did you know I am a lifetime member of WW!? I have often thought WW should reserve that type of distinction once you have maintained your loss for at least one year, which sadly, I did not. And then I tried TOPS, but I was too focused on the number on the scale. 2011 was my first attempt at No S, then I tried again 2014, here I am for round 3. But, my focus is different this time...I am going to just do No S and see where that takes me. Today, I feel stress free, energetic and happy with me.

Building a better habit one day at a time. We can do this😃
Vanilla No S ReStart 12/26/16

Things should be as simple as possible, but not simpler.
~Albert Einstein

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:20 pm

Welcome on board, three whales! I think a load has been lifted off my shoulders just knowing that I'm not the only one with these struggles.

Tortie

Post by Tortie » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:41 am

So, I've had 3 green days, and I have one issue.

I'm struggling with acid reflux after meals and it's triggering my asthma. I'm a grazer. I was grazing on a lot of junk, which is why I'm overweight, but I'm not used to a full plate of food at once.

I was going to focus on just the 3 meals and not worrying about the amount of food at each meal, but I think I'm going to have to eat less each time. Hopefully I can do that. I don't want to go to 5 or 6 mini meals, it's too much stopping and starting for me.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:19 am

Acid reflux trumps No S. Do what you need for it, but as you said, it doesn't need to be junk.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

minimizer

Post by minimizer » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:27 am

Yes this is what I need. Going to re-read the book this weekend. I am willing to stay with it all through 2017 and see where it takes me.

Tortie

Post by Tortie » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:33 pm

Thanks, Oolala. I'm going to continue on with the 3 meals only, just eat a bit less at each meal and see if that helps with the acid reflux.

I'm pretty sure I can carry on with No S vanilla, I just need to tweak what and how much I eat at those 3 meals.

I'll report how it goes.

agelessglam

Post by agelessglam » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:41 pm

I'm in. Taking the calorie counting apps off my phone now.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:12 pm

agelessglam wrote:I'm in. Taking the calorie counting apps off my phone now.
I was just thinking that I need to do the same thing! Welcome on board minimizer and ageless glam!
Good luck with the acid reflux, Tortie. I know that can be awful.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:05 pm

Wow, that's big. Even Reinhard isn't against apps, if they make something onerous easy. But it's the "principality" of the thang! The slim of the world do not count calories! They practice habits of moderation! I will do just about anything to be one of them! Even my suffering will be moderate, dang it!

Everything in moderation, including suffering.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

noni

Post by noni » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:42 pm

Tortie, No S did wonders for my acid reflux. Three moderate meals a day, 5 days a week. It didn't even leak over into my S days gone wild. Just give your digestive system some time to adjust.

Caveat: I know if I have a few "red days" in a row, there will be some reflux returning, and will take a few green days to correct itself.
"Never go back for seconds. Get it all the first time." - Garfield

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:29 pm

I read through this blog yesterday morning and have given it a lot of thought. I don't make yearly commitments often. I made the commitment last year to do 30 minutes of cardio 5 days a week and have done exactly that. It makes me feel confident in being true to my own promise. I have No Sd on and off for about 3 years and I know this is the life change I need to keep forever. I am in with you guys for the 2017 year challenge!

Update: It's' June 9th, over halfway through 2017, and I'm still going strong!!

Wow, the next update here is 9/18. My daughter committed suicide on July 13th, 2017. I found her, but I have to learn functioning for the last 4 kids and 2 grandkids now. Youngest broke his arm, but ended up having to have surgery for and will require follow-up surgery. It killed me, AND my sweet Lyssi is gone. What I have now is to follow a habit. I need to be vigilant on something
Last edited by Allisonmeg on Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:34 am, edited 7 times in total.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:36 pm

Awesome!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Tortie

Post by Tortie » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:30 pm

Noni, thank you so much for sharing your experience with acid reflux.

Yesterday, I did eat less food at breakfast and lunch, and no acid reflux. However, within an hour after lunch I was very, very hungry. I had a cup of milky tea and I was still getting the hunger pangs. I kept myself distracted, but the hunger got too extreme and it was still 3 hours until dinner. I caved and had two cookies. I did stop at the 2 cookies, though.

I am not deterred.

I will continue to tweak my meal size and contents until I get the right balance, and my body adjusts to not eating several times a day. I'm convinced it will sort itself out.

Has anyone noticed they sleep better on green days? I think not eating sweets or else not eating after dinner keeps my blood sugar more stable. Or maybe it's just the fact that I'm not digesting a load of junk while I'm trying to sleep.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:39 pm

Update below.
Last edited by oolala53 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:13 am, edited 5 times in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Tortie

Post by Tortie » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:46 pm

Personally, I'm not interested in starting or following several different threads. I just want the quick check in of the monthly challenge threads and posting in this one along with the other folks who have committed to MaggieMae's 2017 challenge.

If I change my mind I can start my own thread, thank you.

threewhales

Post by threewhales » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:09 pm

Yep, I am still in for 2017!
Checking in here on this thread will work great🤓

~Albert Einstein

babybird

Post by babybird » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:37 pm

I'm still wanting to do the 1 year challenge. Not sure if that's what you were referring to oolala!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:51 pm

Just didn't know if you would have a check-in thread you were willing to have linked on this thread. I couldn't find on for you on the check-in forum.

Or you can just use this thread or just ignore us all and do your own thing! 8)
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

bizzybee

Post by bizzybee » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:22 pm

Oolala53 - led me from the Facebook group to this fantastic, just what I've been looking for, discussion.

So, my thinking is that my goal for the year is really just one thing. For the next 12 months, the only "diet" or eating plan I will follow is No-S. I already feel a little relieved that I will not feel compelled to count point or carbs this year, just Plates!

So, I can and probably will screw up over and over again. The only promise I am making is to pick myself up, dust myself off and try again on the next N Day.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:38 pm

Welcome, bizzy!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

babybird

Post by babybird » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:44 pm

I do have a check in thread. Its under Babybirds progress. Not sure how I would link it to here though

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:44 pm

I was dithering a bit about committing to this thread...but its nearly 2017 here in the UK and I have decided this would be a really positive step. I am stone cold sober, my family are in bed, so I am seeing in the New Year by myself.
I found NoS at the beginning of October this year and I can't really put into words how huge it has been for me. I can see myself doing this for the rest of my life, I have never ever felt that way about any diet I have been on, and boy there have been a few!
So here is my commitment to a year of NoS, amongst all you wonderful supportive folk who I know will help keep me sane along the way! :D
Happy New Year to all :D

PS I have just started a daily check in too.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:14 am

Updated list below.
Last edited by oolala53 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:25 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:01 am

Hey bizzie bee and bluebell! So glad others are joining me in this adventure. And the first day of our challenge is an S day! :lol:

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:53 am

I want to be a part of this one year challenge!!
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:22 am

I think this is a great idea! Can I join in?

I'll make a new Check-In Thread for 2017...

Happy 2017 everyone! Looking forward to seeing all of us do really well in our commitment to a full year on No-S.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:24 pm

Amy, of course you can join! Welcome. Zippadee!

Coffeegal

Post by Coffeegal » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:27 pm

I'd love to join in! Do I need to start a new thread or will joining in the January challenge work? :)

bizzybee

Post by bizzybee » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:33 pm

Good morning all, hope you enjoy this S day!
I'm excited.

I have started a new daily check-in thread.

Jbell

Post by Jbell » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:58 pm

I have been watching this site for a long time. I have been through many broken resolutions, changing diets about as much as my socks. For most of December I have watched this thread of NoS for 2017. I am worried that I will give up at the first few failures, but this board is a great support system.

I am in for 2017. Do I need to make a check-in site?

I am older and have decades of disordered eating. I would be happy on January 1, 2018 if the habits were solid and I have a better relationship with food.

threewhales

Post by threewhales » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:59 pm

OOLALA, please add my daily check in log link.
I did not realize what you were doing!! LOL!!

Ok, gang, here we go 2017 is here.
My commitment:
Only NO S for the next 365 days.
We can ALL do it!!, WooHoo!!!

~Albert Einstein

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:29 am

I'll work on adding links to check-in threads. They are not necessary, but a lot of people do have them because they will eventually often want to ruminate on other issues or record their food, etc. But if all you want is a place to check-in and possibly get some kudos or encouragement, this may be enough.

There is a TON of great stuff here on the General Discussion Forum. I was one of those who needed a lot of indoctrination, so I did a lot of reading. Reinhard put a lot of the best stuff under Sticky of Stickies. That's our diet porn, I guess.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:43 am

Jbell, I actually first started No S in fall of 2008, but it took until the end of 2009 to get serious. I was 56 years old and had been progressively disordered about my body image and eating for nearly 40 years. It doesn't matter how long it's been. It matters more that you really get that any difficulty with the new routine is not nearly as great as the difficulty of living with the eating behavior, and that you just really value the beautiful concept of systematic moderation. This can start as a theory and proceed through praxis!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Nay

I'm in, too. In the past year, I've had compliance problems.

Post by Nay » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:31 am

The problems haven't come from the philosophy of No S, but from the fact that I have had Type 2 diabetes for 5 years -- 3 meals a day has been perfectly OK, but I've been so sick of having to watch carbs that I have no interest in food. Specifically, I have come to hate cooking (I never liked it, but now I hate it with the fire of a thousand suns) and have gotten sick of a lot of foods that I CAN eat. And, of course, the foods that worsen diabetes look really good.

Having said all that, I've decided that I just have to clean up my actions with No S. I take the challenge! I have to navigate 3 meals a day somehow, and No S has been the easiest. It's not No S's fault that I'm sick of food.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:48 am

Nay, I've had some physical changes and also made some purposeful changes that limited foods I used to eat a lot more often. I do miss them and the physical changes threw a wrench in the works for quite awhile. I think I'm getting back on an even keel, but am not ready to let go of participating here.

I pray I would find the strength to make the necessary dietary changes I would need to for a health condition. Reading some of the recommendations for some conditions, I almost want to cry! But the consequences are pretty severe. Hope we can help you get more at peace.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Merry

Post by Merry » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:36 am

Add me in too, please, Oolala. I was confused about what we were going to do at first, but my plan is to be around for the year (and more, Lord Willing!) I have a check-in and will also use the monthly-check-ins.
Respect Moderation

threewhales

Post by threewhales » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:50 am

Day one down and in the GREEN :mrgreen:
How did you fair today?

~Albert Einstein

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:44 am

same here - day 1 green
Now if only I could manage to make everyday like day 1!

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:39 am

Had a green day! Makes my heart happy to see so many new " faces" joining in! You don't have to use a daily check in unless you want to. I plan to use the January challengethread and I also use my daily check in to go into more detail and to vent about life in general. Already feeling peace from trying to " diet" . I'm such a dork.... I was thinking about the nursery rhyme Mary had a little lamb and applying it to No S. Instead of" every where that Mary went,the lamb was sure to go", it's"every where no s habits went, health and sanity were sure to go". told you I was a dork.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:47 am

Merry is added.

If that's dorkiness, I love it.

Amy, you can't do it every day until you actually live those days, and some may happen more easily than others. It's definitely doable. The more you can calmly and without harshness think there really is no good reason to give yourself the choice not to, the easier it is.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

naeman

Post by naeman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:26 pm

I'd love to join in this one year challenge as well! I also have a problem of getting discouraged and diet hopping.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:26 pm

Updated list below.
Last edited by oolala53 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:29 pm

BTW, I'm not trying to get out of anything, but anyone can cut and paste the list adding or deleting themselves, I think. If I see a new one, I'll edit the old one out of the old post so it doesn't get too cumbersome. Or maybe the links won't transfer? Not sure. But so far so good.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:00 pm

Thanks for doing that, oolala! Welcome, naeman!

threewhales

Post by threewhales » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:17 am

OOLALA to Amy, you can't do it every day until you actually live those days, and some may happen more easily than others. It's definitely doable. The more you can calmly and without harshness think there really is no good reason to give yourself the choice not to, the easier it is.[/quote]

This is some very good advice::snag::

~Albert Einstein

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:44 am

Yes, indeed, good advice, Oolala!

This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:37 am

Hi guys, can i join you? 2017 started well for me; 2 green days :D . This thread is a good motivator.

I am also trying to change my mind set to focuss on habit and not so much on losing weight. I have also decided that i won't stand on the scale. The number on the scale does something negative with my mindset even when i'm doing really well.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:41 pm

Welcome on board, this is it. I agree with you about the scale. I weighed myself just to get a starting weighte and I might weigh myself once a month to get a feel if I need to adjust what I'm putting on my plate. But I think anything more often than that is just going to do psychological damage. Haha.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:44 am

Good morning, everyone! Hope you're doing great! Just a reminder..... This challenge doesn't mean that you're going to do NO S perfectly or never mess up. We've committed to dusting ourselves off and getting back on track the next day. The first few times I tried no S, I quit after my first red day. Now I realize, I could've just learned from the failure and started over the next day. Please, don't give up!!!!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:12 pm

Updated team below
Last edited by oolala53 on Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:24 pm

Okay, No S Team 2017! See if it doesn't motivate you a little to think, I'm not going to be the first to drop out. As has been said, reds are not what makes a drop out. I've never been into the monthly challenges or anything like that (Spark has these challenges all the time, but they rarely target a year, and I think that's a mistake), but the idea of a group here committing to the year is inspiring to me! I just kept thinking back in 2010 what I difference it was going to make for me to be able to have a year of mostly green N days under my belt. (I didn't commit to sane S days!) I just knew life would be better even if I wasn't thin and even if my S days were still bad. I could do this for a year in a way I couldn't commit to any particular diet for a year, and that was what it meant to commit to a lifestyle change.

I'm just repeating stuff I guess, but I'm thinking of the online party you can have on google video hangout a year from now...
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Tortie

Post by Tortie » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:21 pm

Yes, I'm not a fan of challenges at all. Competing with others or even against myself is not my go. So the Spark type of challenge you mentioned, Oolala would be counterproductive for me.

This challenge, is about committing to healing my destructive relationship with food. It's about learning what I need to eat and not eat and not listening to one "guru" or another. And yeah, I know red days, despite my best efforts, will be an inevitable part of it.

This challenge, for me, is about giving myself a real break, for an entire year. Not by giving up on my health this time (I've done that) but by focusing on my recovery, and ignoring the so-called experts.

I like your vision of a group get-together at the end of the year, Oolala.

So, thank you, MaggieMae and others who have joined this thread. It helps me so much to know not I'm not alone. I just can't struggle with this on my own anymore.

threewhales

Post by threewhales » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:56 am

Love the idea of a google hangout in 360 days!!
THIS challenge is really help me stay on track.
We can ALL do this ToGeThEr!!!! WooHoo!!!

~Albert Einstein

KHousley

I will commit for a year..or longer

Post by KHousley » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:25 pm

I do NOT want another diet. I want a better way of eating for the long term. I have wasted enough time and money on different diet books, websites etc. I will never get that time or money back but..I can move forward with a new lifestyle that allows me structure, more choices, and freedom to choose what works for me. I am excited, encouraged and it just feels like the right thing for me.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:03 pm

Glad to have you on board, khouseley!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:24 pm

Hi, Khousely! Welcome back.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

beginagain

Post by beginagain » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:30 pm

I would like to join this challenge. My husband has been telling me that I should stick with one diet. I change constantly. And I binge the night before starting the new plan. I've been yo yo dieting since childhood. I'm 57. This challenge is perfect.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:43 pm

Hi, begin again! You sound just like me. It's time to stick to one plan for long term. Funny, when I decided I needed to do this,I didn't even consider any of the other diets. No S is the only one that I can imagine being able to do for a whole year! There's not one food we have to give up! Tomorrow is an S day! Woot!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:51 am

Begin, I started at age 56. No S seemed like a great blend of the various proposed remedies for compulsive overeating without all the psychological stuff, which had not really helped. I can't imagine anything else would have been better, given my mindset and the odds against successful "dieting." I hope you'll agree.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

threewhales

Post by threewhales » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:42 am

Made it through week two with all green! It amazes me how Tracking on my Habitcal keeps me on target :mrgreen:
As OOLALA stated earlier this..."the magic of the Habitcal" YES!!!
Hope everyone is doing well, don't give up, just keep going 8)

~Albert Einstein

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:08 am

I know I'm a little late but please count me in! I've been doing nos for a couple years now but I need to tighten things up a bit. I've gotten a bit lazy with the rules.

Thanks!
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:24 am

Updated list below
Last edited by oolala53 on Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:36 am

Thanks for compiling this, Oolala, I'd like to add my thread as well:

Amy https://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=11205

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:27 pm

Yes, thank you, oolala for putting the list together! Linda,glad you are with us! You have been very successful with No S and that is very motivating.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:20 pm

Thanks Maggie! It's still a work in progress though. ☺️
Last edited by lpearlmom on Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:35 pm

see update on Team 2017 below. 1/16/2017
Last edited by oolala53 on Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23